Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

This looks even more like SatAM than Archie did, with a pure animal World and a limited selection of grunt enemies. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well...um...not what I was expecting. I...have no real reaction to this. 

The art is great at least.

Sonic being on a military team again is kind of lame to me but it being sega characters instead softens the blow a lot. I get to see them interact, at least.

It being set after Forces isn't a big deal to me. They'll break away from it soon anyway. It just establishes that all the games have happened, really.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Razule said:

So. Not a Forces aftermath, eh? I demand money from everyone insisted otherwise, 

Pay up or square up

Dude, I have dibs on all the money. 

I mean...

IDW_Sonic_NYCC_Promo.jpeg

I called it being a Forces tie-in from this promo alone. I warned you about the stars, man.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 2

Just now, Dee Dude said:

The solict said rejoin so I’m prettysure  they mean the same group with the regular main cast in the game so thankfully that won’t be the case.

My only major worry is whether or not the comic will have Sonic be a part of the Resistance again for more than, say, 4-8 issues. I don't necessarily mind having the others around to begin with (minus Silver, I guess). I just hope that the whole 'Resistance' angle doesn't get dragged along for another year or so.

...Again, we'll see what happens.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I blame Kevin from Sega

Really seems like it is a Forces continuation. Ugh. If the characters are just as bad as they were there, my hype has died. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

As opposed to a series in general that depends on 20+ years of lore?

As opposed to introducing newcomers to the series in a natural way; as opposed to rebuilding the continuity with said 20 years of hindsight in a manner that can fix long-standing plotholes and continuity errors; as opposed to using anything other than that mess of a game.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Really seems like it is a Forces continuation. Ugh. If the characters are just as bad as they were there, my hype has died. 

Considering Flynn's at the helms, that's not likely.

And I'm fine with this comic wrapping up Forces, if only so the team can hopefully fill some plot holes and whatnot. I just hope that this is temporary and Sonic goes back to travelling the world at his own leisure soon.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 2

15 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Eh, I think it's more likely this issue/arc is just meant to come off of the wave of recent games, tie things up, and introduce the world. I don't think it's going to be a long-running "Shattered World Crisis" so much as some clean up. I think Ian and crew will be fine.

I'm sort of amused that we're getting a freedom fighter group without, you know, the actual, iconic characters that people actually like, but whatever. I'm not terribly surprised when it comes to anything Sega does anymore.

Definitely, my hopes is that it doesn't drag the way the Mecha Sally arc and the Shattered World Saga did, although the latter was more of a status quo, I'm sure this will be shorter. I also hope the resistance disbands when it's not needed anymore.

As to why there are no actual SatAM Freedom Fighters... just wait and see, it's too early to say.

And I'm soooo loving the Forces hate comments now that the plot is revealed, oh yeah. Good for those who liked it, they will be happy at least.

53 minutes ago, Tenko said:

That brings up a good point to ponder, would Eggmont/Fleetway StC characters be under Sega ownership or would they have been as bad at locking down ownership in contracts etc as the American branch was with Archie?

You wouldn't want IDW finally bringing back some StC characters or influences only to have some ex writer or artist claiming ownership and having another Sonic comic shitestorm all over again. 

According to Nigel Kitching, they were all freelancers and never signed any contracts. As far as I'm aware, this would make the creators of the characters the owners.

I don't understand why there's been all this talk of "STC Sally" though. They just used the design Sega of America/Europe had been using since 1991 - Ricky with a bow.

1 minute ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Considering Flynn's at the helms, that's not likely.

And I'm fine with this comic wrapping up Forces, if only so the team can hopefully fill some plot holes and whatnot. I just hope that this is temporary and Sonic goes back to travelling the world at his own leisure.

Not even a good writer can save it if the mandates and higher ups want a certain status quo.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

As opposed to introducing newcomers to the series in a natural way; as opposed to rebuilding the continuity with said 20 years of hindsight in a manner that can fix long-standing plotholes and continuity errors; as opposed to using anything other than that mess of a game.

Most of the people who read this comic will be fans so I can understand why they didn't go in that direction. Comics are a niche thing for enthusiasts,.

It won't be that hard to pick up on what's going on if you're a newcomer, I imagine. Sonic plots aren't rocket science.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

Just now, Pengi said:

I don't understand why there's been all this talk of "STC Sally" though. They just used the design Sega of America/Europe had been using since 1991 - Ricky with a bow.

Actually, they dropped that pretty quickly, as seen as early as StC#33.

20 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Did they actually think Forces was going to be a success or what? Like sure this was all in motion before the game was released but shouldn't someone have seen where things were going and said "hey no actually let's pivot away from this mess"? Even if they wanted the comics to be more in line with the games they could've just...moved on.

And if this is supposed to be a follow-up to Forces, is this Sega/Sonic Team's vision for the future of the games, too? Was Forces some kind of stealth pseudo-reboot to bring in Archie Sonic concepts with the serial numbers filed off?

It's way more likely they're just using the most recent game as a jumping off point. I mean.. they still use a character from 06, so Forces certainly isn't complete and utter disaster-tier bad (by their standards) to shove it under the rug completely and use no concepts from it. Not so soon anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

The only Forces nugget I'd like follow up on is if Infinite is still alive. Other than that, I also hope this tie in is short lived.

D-do you think they will even attempt to keep this in the Sega continuity after this point?

Guys, I say we calm down before going "this is not worth reading". Not even the first issue is out.

For all we know it may only be 5-10 issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Most of the people who read this comic will be fans so I can understand why they didn't go in that direction. Comics are a niche thing for enthusiasts,.

It won't be that hard to pick up on what's going on if you're a newcomer, I imagine. Sonic plots aren't rocket science.

I strongly disagree that this is the right decision for them to make. If you have a clean slate to work with, you absolutely should take advantage of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Jack said:

As to why there are no actual SatAM Freedom Fighters... just wait and see, it's too early to say.

It really isn't.

If they were going to use them, they'd have used them and just turned them into a "resistance". I'm still picking this book up, but I'm not going to cling to any chance of them returning, and this pretty much seals it.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Jack said:

And I'm soooo loving the Forces hate comments now that the plot is revealed, oh yeah. Good for those who liked it, they will be happy at least.

Also, I already asked people not to do this.

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I strongly disagree that this is the right decision for them to make. If you have a clean slate to work with, you absolutely should take advantage of it.

Eh,  honestly,  if it's their effort to tie comics into the games for a better bout of consistency and world building between the two mediums,  I'm all for it.

• Thumbs Up 4

It would be the most Sega fucking thing ever if they did all that shit they did last year only to launch something that was thematically the same thing anyway but with a bunch of new OCs in it; only now it's a tie in to a game with a shit reputation.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Making a tie-in to a game that the general audience did not care and managed to irritate both classic and adventure fan-factions... Is not what I'd call a smart strategy. What is Hughes even thinking about?

I wonder if that was all written and planned before Forces' release, though. That could explain the maneuver.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

Eh,  honestly,  I'd it's their effort to tie comics into the games for a better bout of consistency and world building between the two mediums,  I'm all for it.

I'm not saying there can't be a consistency, I'm not even saying Forces should never have a tie in (I'd rather them not, but I digress); what baffles me is that this is what they're starting with.

They're forgoing this golden opportunity to start fresh and work their way into something better... for a Forces tie-in? 

For the record, I'd be just as miffed if this was a Mania tie-in.

• Nice Smile 1

So we have Yardley, Stanley, Hesse and ABT confirmed to return.  You better not miss out on Skelly, IDW...

And it's a Forces continuation.  Bit of a bummer (not to mention pretty silly of Sega to remind people again of one of less sterling accomplishments in the series), but whatever.  Maybe they can just zoom through this, show a little aftermath and move on completely and not make this Resistance a long running thing.  If it has to be though, I really don't want Sonic permanently tied to it.

That said, I don't feel it a good idea to assume how well a comic will be within the span of four issues, let alone tiny indications of what happens in them.  Things can change big over time with comics and that has had a number of positive effects on Sonic books in the past..   

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

12 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Dude, I have dibs on all the money. 

I mean...

IDW_Sonic_NYCC_Promo.jpeg

I called it being a Forces tie-in from this promo alone. I warned you about the stars, man.

Damn.. hindsight is 20/20

• Fist Bump 1