Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

It really isn't.

If they were going to use them, they'd have used them and just turned them into a "resistance". I'm still picking this book up, but I'm not going to cling to any chance of them returning, and this pretty much seals it.

Also, I already asked people not to do this.

Uhm... no? Wait for the character reveal tomorrow, Sally could be the fourth classic companion. The resistance is made up of game characters because this is the SegaSonic world, or something close to that. I shouldn't reply, as I said, wait for tomorrow.

My only issue with the Freedom Fighters (pre-reboot) and Resistance (as it was in Forces) was that the characters were tied down to one location. That doesn't seem to be the case here, and Ian was already moving away from that in the nu252 era, so I don't expect it to develop into that.

I can understand the concern with regard to introducing the world and lore, but from what we're seeing so far I think it shouldn't be that overwhelming for newcomers? The book seems to be starting out simple enough with the cast just traveling around and helping people out, all you really need to know going in is that there was an Eggman plot that was foiled and these are the aftereffects of that. But we'll see how it turns out I guess.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Dr. Jack said:

Uhm... no? Wait for the character reveal tomorrow, Sally could be the fourth classic companion. The resistance is made up of game characters because this is the SegaSonic world, or something close to that. I shouldn't reply, as I said, wait for tomorrow.

P7H4qZX.png..

...in what world does that look like Sally? Honestly, right now I'm assuming it'll be another one of those goat characters from the Forces cover. 

3 minutes ago, DiamondX the Fighter said:

Guys? Remember the prequel Forces comics?

That a lot of people enjoyed?

Context, people wanted the IDW comic to be something different.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, DiamondX the Fighter said:

And that I didn't. They weren't as bad as Forces itself but I saw little to no value in them and I don't see any benefit in tying even more comics to Forces.

11 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I strongly disagree that this is the right decision for them to make. If you have a clean slate to work with, you absolutely should take advantage of it.

They didn't do that the last 3 times they had the opportunity so I didn't really expect it here, much as I would like it.

I'll reserve judgement until the book is out. There's potential for this to still turn out fine, even if it isn't ideal.

I just find it immensely stupid to have the rejoining the resistance storyline as a whole. The reason people wanted the FF out in the first place is because they didn't want Sonic and co being dragged into that group dynamic and in that aspect, I could get why the new comic got rid of them.

But to then have an entire storyline based around convincing Sonic to rejoin the blander resistance of Forces which basically amounted to a handful of SEGA characters (With very notable exceptions) and a bunch of bland lifeless soldiers and furthermore implying Eggman will be taking the Archie route of being such a huge threat that a resistance group needs to be always ready to go to stop him anyway leaves me surprised at how stupid it all is. So in the end, we had the more popular resistance group dynamic thrown out while the resistance group that the other side didn't really want to begin with stayed, leaving a unique situation of neither side winning because one has lost a handful of their liked characters for no real reason now while the other side is still stuck with the dynamic they disliked in Archie.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 2

5 minutes ago, DiamondX the Fighter said:

Sure. They existed solely to add flavor to that game and had no bearing on what would be the main IDW comic.

I'm not doubting the writers and artists on the team to tell a good story, but I think there could have been a better way to reintroduce Sonic into the realm of comics. I do not just want a bunch of game tie-ins. If that's all this is going to be, then I'm not interested. I liked Archie (post reboot, anyway) for taking the Sega Sonic universe and expanding on it with their own take on the world; there were certainly arcs that coincided with the games, but on the whole you were experiencing a unique universe.

This feels like a tie-in for it's own sake.

Don't care if it's under the name of freedom fighters or resistance or whatever. I just wanna see Sonic bounce off characters, it's association with Forces means very little to me since a lot of the things wrong with that game lied in the execution rather than the ideas behind it, a mistake in sure Ian and his team will be sure to avoid 

I'll take this over what ai thought we were getting for the opening issues (bland simple green Hill hijinks) so I don't really have much to complain about right now 

• Thumbs Up 6

10 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I'm not saying there can't be a consistency, I'm not even saying Forces should never have a tie in (I'd rather them not, but I digress); what baffles me is that this is what they're starting with.

They're forgoing this golden opportunity to start fresh and work their way into something better... for a Forces tie-in? 

For the record, I'd be just as miffed if this was a Mania tie-in.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I can understand it though. Look, as much as we all feel that the slate needs to be wiped clean, Sega obviously doesn't feel that way. And considering Forces is the latest piece of Sonic media that's out right now, it does make sense to tie into that if you aren't an avid follower of the series.

I will hold my judgement until I read the book! Guys give this book a chance, it's our first Sonic#1 since 20+years.

Flynn is good at fixing plotholes and making things coherent.

BUT I hope Classic Sonic is not shoe-horned in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m sure the comics are gonna be just fine. I’m actually really excited about this apparent Forces continuation! I just hope the stories don’t get dragged on longer than they need to be. I was so tired of the Archie series to the point where I still have some issues left in the plastic wrap, for this very reason. 

Looks like Meliden called it from an innocuous design detail. 

Personally, I didn't mind Forces since the Eggy Six concept was both the second most hype building part of it and unfortunately one of the letdowns of it. Now that elements of it is being put into comic form, there can be more energy put into making the soldier designs more detailed/appealing and making use of the various recurring characters that didn't do that much onscreen.

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

Don't care if it's under the name of freedom fighters or resistance or whatever. I just wanna see Sonic bounce off characters, it's association with Forces means very little to me since a lot of the things wrong with that game lied in the execution rather than the ideas behind it, a mistake in sure Ian and his team will be sure to avoid 

Agreed.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Actually, they dropped that pretty quickly, as seen as early as StC#33.

STC #33 had an unnamed squirrel who looked like Sally Acorn as a news reporter for three panels. That news reporter was never seen again.

What really is ticking people is that the point of this new book was to start fresh, in a way that new readers could hop on. Without the so-called "bad baggage" Archie had, things could move forward. All what they did now was to swap the baggage, with the fresh memory of the most rejected Sonic game, for all the factions.

We had the Archie die-hard fans blown away... and now most of the fanbase and potential newcomers...

What's going to be the readership of this book?

:thinking:

If Flynn really do find a way to keep this alive with a readership bigger than the Archie post-reboot, I'll recognize him as a writing Jesus myself, like his fans do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Jack said:

If that character is Sally, I'll eat my shoes.

Seriously though I'd be shocked for a few reasons, one being that uh...the way the character's hands appear to be shaking imply a fearfulness that I don't exactly associate with Sally?

• Thumbs Up 6

I was fine with Forces' story, so I'm honestly OK with the idea of a follow-up story here. What big crisis constitutes a reforming of the Resistance in a world where Eggman's rule is no more? I'd like to find that out and see how the world is doing since Eggman was defeated.

11 minutes ago, Celestia said:

If that character is Sally, I'll eat my shoes.

Seriously though I'd be shocked for a few reasons, one being that uh...the way the character's hands appear to be shaking imply a fearfulness that I don't exactly associate with Sally?

Hence why I suggested it could also be Antoine at one point.

Unless they'd intentionally playing up the Badass Normal aspect of her.

Eh, I'm fine with them starting off just after Forces. Curious just how different this new continuity could be while so closely tied to the games. Just hope it eventually branches out some more.

15 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Not that I believe that is indeed Sally and nor I want her, but I don't discard a possibility of a completelly rework on her(design, character, etc).

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Hence why I suggested it could also be Antoine at one point.

Unless they're intentionally playing up the Badass Normal aspect of her.

There's definitely a (very small) possibility it could be one of the Archie / DiC characters, but even if that's the case I couldn't see the characters being changed much. Antoine would make more sense, but the design doesn't seem to resemble him unless he's been heavily redesigned, and I can't see that happening either.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

That Forces was so poorly-received (well - poorly-made, correctly-received) is a problem, but if it hadn't been, this would be a perfectly sensible decision.  The comics are starting off on what will be relatively familiar ground for most readers, especially those jumping on from the games, and that will form a springboard to a new set of ongoing adventures which will sync up with the games where relevant - and I would suggest they might actively avoid adapting the games directly from now on, merely leading up to them (in the manner of the Forces tie-in comics) and then jumping straight to the aftermath (in the manner seen today).  I'm also going to make what appears to be a fairly radical call: Sonic will not rejoin the Resistance.  He'll continue to go about fighting Eggman his own way.

There was never any real chance that a new comics continuity was going to be less integrated into the broader franchise.  This is likely going to be more or less what all the comics started out as and should always have been: An expanded version of the game world.

• Thumbs Up 4

37 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

The only Forces nugget I'd like follow up on is if Infinite is still alive. Other than that, I also hope this tie in is short lived.

D-do you think they will even attempt to keep this in the Sega continuity after this point?

And why Silver was there. And why Knuckles was so quick to leave his post. And the effects on Rouge’s psyche. And if the Chaotix ever got paid. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, FFWF said:

That Forces was so poorly-received (well - poorly-made, correctly-received) is a problem, but if it hadn't been, this would be a perfectly sensible decision.  The comics are starting off on what will be relatively familiar ground for most readers, especially those jumping on from the games, and that will form a springboard to a new set of ongoing adventures which will sync up with the games where relevant - and I would suggest they might actively avoid adapting the games directly from now on, merely leading up to them (in the manner of the Forces tie-in comics) and then jumping straight to the aftermath (in the manner seen today).  I'm also going to make what appears to be a fairly radical call: Sonic will not rejoin the Resistance.  He'll continue to go about fighting Eggman his own way.

There was never any real chance that a new comics continuity was going to be less integrated into the broader franchise.  This is likely going to be more or less what all the comics started out as and should always have been: An expanded version of the game world.

Yeah, basically the only thing I'm concerned about is the Resistance becoming the new Freedom Fighters, but Sonic could just say no and that can be the big "this isn't archie" moment at the end of the first arc. He uses Forces as a backdrop to establish who Sonic is.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1