Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

- I agree Ian. Silver did not do a swear. He barely did a potty mouth. He did a stronger smelling "doo doo" at best. It actually is amazing how much more endearing Silver has become to me recently once the full on voice-cracking, dorkiness of his character dawned on me while reading that issue. 

- I'm no business man so I can't speak on this with confidence so all I'll say is that I don't understand why the Lost Hedgehog Tales is something that would cause trouble for anyone when the info regarding it deals with a book that was cancelled and a company that SEGA severed ties with. Things are complicated so I won't make any judgements. All I'll say WITH confidence is that the business reason is probably some bullshit. 

- He has to reaffirm that the comic is influenced by the games and not an exact continuation. I feel like this should be obvious now but I guess not. I'd have no problem considering it canon since I have a feeling what happens here will disappoint me far less than whatever bad idea the people in charge of the games come up with next though. 

- AHAHAHA! Team Dark got killed off in World's Unite because some editor said "WE NEED TO UP THE STAKES! SHOW EVERYONE HOW SERIOUS THIS IS!" It's amazing because I keep having to get reminded that they died in that story. You'd think that'd be something I'd remember but I don't. It's such a lazy footnote.

- Ah. The nameless village thing that people cared a lot about. Basically he says the same thing I already figured as well. Knowing the names of villages we visit for the sake of a single issue and don't return to again isn't all that necessary. I do get it. Doing things for the sake of "World Building" all the time, over and over again, even when it doesn't matter can contribute to needless clutter if the relevance just isn't there. I do also recall being slightly intimidated by the Archie books when I first got into them because of this. Not just when it came to all the locations and which of them I had to care about but all the extraneous people and their situations... I'm lucky I'm someone who has the patience to start from the beginning and read through them. Though I wish I had more of the time to do so. Tangle's town will get a name and a more fleshed out setting because it actually matters. Tacking a name onto something that doesn't matter or come back again isn't "world building". It's fluff. I agree. 

- I'm so happy 30 years later had no chance of continuing. Even if the book had continued as it was apparently. 

- Sally and her Sex Bot Nicole would have been in a relationship eh? I might have been interested in that if I cared about either of those two characters. 

- Ian's waiting for SEGA to explain how Silver can time travel before he reveals it so that what he comes up with doesn't get retconned? Well, he'll be waiting forever because they never will. He should know that by now. The reason they don't get rid of the time travel gimmick with Silver is because it's the thing that defines him. It's his special thing. It just sucks that his special thing is the worst story element ever. The only way it'll work is if they find a way to make it work and I do believe it can. You just need people who really, really care... that's not SEGA though.

- Yes. The Chaotix are materialistic. They're not really "heroes" in a sense. They're more like the Ghostbusters. The original ones. They came, they saw, they kicked its ass... for a fee. 

- It's really a shame that Blaze's situation confuses me way more than Silver's does since she's NOT the one with the time travel gimmick. She just has this confusing edge to her just from being associated with Silver which is something that happened because SEGA figured he'd be more popular if he teamed up with a popular character for his debut or something. They must have already been convinced it would work since he was confirmed for Sonic Rivals and the party mode of Secret Rings all in the same year. This was before 06 even came out. Silver was here to stay regardless of reception. 

- I don't care about Classic Chaotix but that doesn't mean I'd protest them ever showing up. I'm cool with them being just Modern characters of course.

- SEGA gave him a story to write for the Sonic Forces comics that literally had Eggman right there by the Master Emerald when Knuckles left and he didn't take it. Because of course they did. They really need this dude to write their shit for them. I mean come on...

- If you're gonna do World's Collide again, pitch it as a video game story. I'm sure SEGA and Capcom wouldn't mind doing a game crossover. One that wasn't an Olympics game. 

- No Archie characters in the games. Even if I did want that (and even if it wasn't impossible), I'd have to know that the writers of the games would just mess them up.

- Do I even care about seeing the family members of the other characters? The only time I've ever imagined it is when I've imagined them in stories that were really well written. Like Fullmetal Alchemist. Sonic's dad would be the hedgehog version of Van Hohenheim.

- Sonic World Adventure is Sonic World Adventure. Sonic 4 is Sonic 4. Sonic Mania is Sonic Mania. Easy. If an SA3 comes out, it'll be SA3. That is all.

- THE FANBASE WANTS SILVER AND BLAZE TOGETHER! OHMAIGAWD! BWAAAAH! Ian straight up says, "NOPE! NO SHIPPING! I AM DONE WITH IT! Do not come to me and say that the majority of the fanbase wants it BECAUSE THEY DO NOT! I've seen the battle flags for every ship! NO! NO SHIPPING! NOT TAKING SIDES! I do not exist to want ships. I don't exist to sink ships. I AM NOT A HARBOR! I've been through that headache. Never again. NEVER. AGAIN."  - Best Quote. 

- I actually thought Ian didn't like the Rogues as well. He straight up asks "Where did this come from?" Come to think of it, I don't remember why I thought he didn't like the Rogues either. Probably something he said a while ago. I agree with him that Zero Gravity is the better game, mechanically. It was easier to control and the gravity stuff was neat. Everyone says that's a bad thing though so... whatever. I don't need to feel vindication for opinions on a dead spin-off series.

- I actually had to look up Darkest Storm to remember what it was. I think I read it when I was trying to get into the old issues of the comics after my Grandpa ordered all the back issues for me. I remember liking the events that happened in it but I remember not liking the art. Also, some cool horse dude died. 

Wait, can Ian really explore what happened with Silver and Blaze in Sonic '06??? That would be incredible, which is why I doubt Sega will allow that. But they kind of hinted it in some games (Colors DS, Generations with some plot holes like Blaze remembering despite that timeline being erased), so maybe they want to explore it in the comics? Since there is no place for it in the games, I mean, Silver and Blaze are gonna be in the same team in TSR, but we know it's most likely they will not mention anything since the game is a spin-off with a cheap story, but their interactions are gonna be... interesting.

13 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

-Sally and Nicole were totes going to go down the lesbian route.

Part of me still thinks that Ian only says that now because he knows that Archie Sonic is dead. If it still would be a thing I doubt he would have done much with it. You know. No shipping and stuff.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, Cuz said:

-Plans for QuakeWoman, and other Megaman comic threads if that series had continued were briefly discussed. The Megaman Soccer arc we never got.

-Ian mentions that there have been some character approval jittering around in IDW Sonic. Stresses that such unnamed characters are likely not barred from appearing all together, rather they were not approved for the specific storyline. I imagine Cream probably figures in there somewhere. He does believe that any living modern character is on the table.

1) Did he say anything about the reformed Mega Man 2+3 Robot Masters?

2) Including Eggman Nega?

14 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

-Sally and Nicole were totes going to go down the lesbian route.

Cue the "Not in the Book Not Canon" and "This is exactly the same thing Penders did" crowds.

Spoiler
3 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:
  Hide contents

Screenshot_2018-09-18-13-38-04.pngScreenshot_2018-09-18-13-37-57.pngScreenshot_2018-09-18-13-32-19.png

And the comic just got a heck ton better.

Nothing like some character banter to sell the scene. Nice and refreshing. Though, I am curious about that last panel.

At one point or another Nicole got blatantly teased and/or paired off with Sonic Espio and Shard. Ian having plans to push her and Sally together looses much of its significance when you look back at how Nicole was apparently working her way through the entire cast.

23 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_2018-09-18-13-38-04.pngScreenshot_2018-09-18-13-37-57.pngScreenshot_2018-09-18-13-32-19.png

I'm utterly convinced when this arc is over Silver is going to take Tangle and Whisper away to form a new team. That would be a fun combo. An Extrovert, and Introvert and a social blank slate. Think of the banter.

Her eyes open, that didn't look nice.

Also, when it comes to his job Knuckles should always be the comically serious...and be the over-the-top hot head at any other time.

12 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Dat moment when you realize this is World's Unite.

Only with a smaller cast, thus making it so the issue actually has time to showcase *everybody’s* interactions.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:16 AM, I Love Sticks said:

I don't know why Modern characters wouldn't be allowed to be used in a modern comic. 

Late response but, I mean, Archie wasn't allowed to use Cream or Omega for years. And Nega NEVER happened despite being heavily alluded to a few times.

That said I'm like 99.99~% sure the characters on the cover will appear in this arc, if not necessarily in issue #9. For one thing, Gemerl is WAY too obscure to be thrown onto a cover just for the sake of a group shot.

3 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Part of me still thinks that Ian only says that now because he knows that Archie Sonic is dead. If it still would be a thing I doubt he would have done much with it. You know. No shipping and stuff.

I don't think they would have confirmed it (for obvious and unfortunate reasons), but I think the intent was there. Plus uh, Antoine and Bunnie were still a thing--non-game characters were totally free for romance stuff.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll probably get a physical copy for this issue. Granted the local comic book shop opens at 12, so I'll probably have avoid this site for a while 

9 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Plus uh, Antoine and Bunnie were still a thing--non-game characters were totally free for romance stuff.

I always assumed that was purely down to it being a holdover from the old world.

I mean Antoine and Bunnie were one of the biggest couples of the old continuity and the only ones of the main characters to tie the knot. It’d feel very strange for the comic to just completely undo all that.

Mmh, the pages on spoiler make me thinks something…

Spoiler

The way Whisper looks at Shadow… could it be possible a Phantom Shadow did something to her during the invasion ?

I really like how quirky and funny Flynn write the characters. I could even read a sitcom comic full of that, even without a story XD

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

50 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I always assumed that was purely down to it being a holdover from the old world.

I mean Antoine and Bunnie were one of the biggest couples of the old continuity and the only ones of the main characters to tie the knot. It’d feel very strange for the comic to just completely undo all that.

It's possible it was a holdover--sort of like how the DiC characters seemed to be--but everyone's been saying for years that it was only game characters that SEGA(?) didn't want getting into relationships. I don't remember if Flynn ever said as much or if people were just guessing tho'.

Ok, I only watched 18 minutes but....

5 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:
18 hours ago, Cuz said:

-Plans for QuakeWoman, and other Megaman comic threads if that series had continued were briefly discussed. The Megaman Soccer arc we never got.

-Ian mentions that there have been some character approval jittering around in IDW Sonic. Stresses that such unnamed characters are likely not barred from appearing all together, rather they were not approved for the specific storyline. I imagine Cream probably figures in there somewhere. He does believe that any living modern character is on the table.

1) Did he say anything about the reformed Mega Man 2+3 Robot Masters?

2) Including Eggman Nega?

1) No

2) Probably yes

Here are the summary of the two questions with timestamps:

Spoiler

#13:25- Original plan for Megaman comic, specifically for Quake & Madam Y?

• Don’t know if ever get chance to “wrap up” the comic (it was planned up to Early 2020).
  • Very general: plan to go through all number game, loosely adapt Gameboy
  • Quake’s story was rediscovering her personality, growing back into it, examine who she used to be & who she is now, deeper investigation to "what makes you, you?", who she became “post-reboot” vs how she was before, how reconcile with different identity. Also build up growing family with Vesper
  • More female robot masters. Dr.Light builds mostly dudes, so Dr. lalinde can build a few female ones. Not that any other scientists is prolific as Dr.Light (he is “THE builder”) but other scientists follow suit
  • Madam Y right hand to Mr.X, probably stick with Wily after MM6.
  • Play around timeline in closed timeloop with Quint.
  • Just kinda go along from there….
  • Had plans to acknowledge MM Soccer, “Neeeeeeeh” when mentioned Battle&Chase
  • Mention Strategy? (the one with the mayor).
  • Want to acknowledge PC with “cheap foreign knockoffs of other robot masters”, but depend on what Capcom will let them do.
  • Some “go hogwild”, other had to finagle or outright drop.

#17:35 - Know can’t specifically mention who is usable or not, but how about those that was unavailable in Archie (like Eggman Nega)?

• Honestly don’t know
  • Series still very new, haven’t had opportunity to ask or push
  • Some characters approved for a story at one point, then rescinded and had to revise.
  • Not matter of “these are off the table” and more of “we don’t want this in this story arc for reasons”
  • Any character alive is on table, but it’s a case-by-case basis
  • Since not want to rush entire modern cast to just put them in book, just have to wait and see.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

Mmh, the pages on spoiler make me thinks something…

Reveal hidden contents

The way Whisper looks at Shadow… could it be possible a Phantom Shadow did something to her during the invasion ?

I really like how quirky and funny Flynn write the characters. I could even read a sitcom comic full of that, even without a story XD

Spoiler

Personally, I'm wondering if she was originally a member of Infinite's Mercenary group before he joined Eggman

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, JosepHenry said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Whisper doesn't seem to like Shadow very much.