Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

9 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Well, it looks like Neo Metal could, and despite being based off a male hedgehog, he's still by the end of the day a robot.

Before him was Mecha Sonic in 3&K, which this is definitely calling back to and is a reasonable enough precedent. I wouldn't even be surprised if the next issue established that it's a faulty super form like Mecha's was, i.e. he slips in and out of it. Then when Sonic goes Super himself, Metal can copy that data and maintain the form indefinitely. Orrrrr they could skip the middle step there and explain the only reason Metal can maintain the form (or even go Super at all) is because he's already copied Sonic's data, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

... Okay, at this point it seems likely the FFs will end up trapped in a legal snafu. They can't get rights straight for characters half a decade old. 

Any character that Was created and original to the Archie run would likely have some kind of legal hold on them. We are dealing with a different publisher after all. 

I don't see how that same pitfall would snag the freedom fighters though. Their legacy status allowed them to skirt over any legal drama from before. If they were safe to use then they should be safe to use now. 

The main problem is should rather than could imo 

I have a lot of questions:

What are Shadow's reasons for being there?

What is Neo's "ascension"? Why did he say the heroes brought him the last thing he needs?

Will Metal Overlord appear? I think so, since Metal immediately

Spoiler

Transformed, I doubt it's his final form.

Issue 12 question: since Neo will be defeated early, is it possible he will find Mr. Tinker and give him back his memories? Year 2 definitely needs more Eggman...

3 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

Agreed, in issue 4 she was a generic hero, now they showcased better her personality.

I guess?

I meant more along the lines that, for all the extra talking  up she was given as a kindred spirit that's a real kickbutt female and more directly someone describing her as a goofball, she was easily outdone by Sonic himself. And Blaze also had more of an establishment within the issue, for that matter.

8 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Edit: So the post-reboot Archie cast are off limits for legal reasons. 

... Okay, at this point it seems likely the FFs will end up trapped in a legal snafu. They can't get rights straight for characters half a decade old. 

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Any character that Was created and original to the Archie run would likely have some kind of legal hold on them. We are dealing with a different publisher after all. 

I don't see how that same pitfall would snag the freedom fighters though. Their legacy status allowed them to skirt over any legal drama from before. If they were safe to use then they should be safe to use now. 

The main problem is should rather than could imo 

I thought Sega owned them at this point after Archie’s first reboot given their new contract before they cancelled it? Even moreso now that Archie lost the license.

How the hell did this became a thing that barred them? Shit’s not making sense now...

2 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

I thought Sega owned them at this point after Archie’s first reboot given their new contract before they cancelled it? Even moreso now that Archie lost the license.

How the hell did this became a thing that barred them? Shit’s not making sense now...

I think it’s something to do with the contract Archie and Sega had back in the day. In 1993, Sega were allowing Archie to use material from the games and the two TV shows running at the time, with the latter being a holdover from said contract, thus allowing them to still be used post-reboot, as well as what allowed them to even bring in characters like Breezie. It was basically a case of Archie turning around and saying “the contract we signed with you at the beginning said we could use this stuff, so you’d be violating that contract if you said no”.

With IDW there would, of course, be a completely new contract that allowed use of all relevent Sonic media at this time, AoStH and SatAM not being one of them.

I may be completely, horrifically wrong, though.

5 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Hide contents

This may be wishful thinking, but what if Shadow secretly called Cream, Omega, and Gmerl as back up? GUN could be too busy to help out. 

Maybe omega would work, but he could have just done that on the ship. Though I personally think omega has been captured, and shadow's going to get him

Also like, Shadow's game sort of retcons a lot battle to the point where " Gmrils' place is the canon is questionable , so they might not have ever seen each other before...shadow might not know who that is at all. Like battle's canonicity has always been questionable to the point of it being not canon , but shadow's game effectively says " Nah " for all of shadow's part in that story and Gerald related stuff.The Sonic-06 to sonic rivals wasn't the first time sega just completely redid a concept in another game and effectively went " nah that didn't count ". So he could just not know him. 

And cream is a child why would he call her , he might feel like he's putting her in danger

14 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Hide contents

This may be wishful thinking, but what if Shadow secretly called Cream, Omega, and Gmerl as back up? GUN could be too busy to help out. 

That'd be really weird for the most part, if also pretty interesting.

Hell, that'd actually be a side story worth seeing.

Ian for the love of god stop using tie in lines and references for characters, their not cool. How the heck are newbies supposed to understand? And I still think Shadow and Team Dark should have more neutrality in teaming up with Sonic and friends, they just clash as far as themes go. 

2 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Ian for the love of god stop using tie in lines and references for characters, their not cool. How the heck are newbies supposed to understand?

My first game was SA1, but I understood the Sonic 2, Sonic CD and S3&K references.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Ian for the love of god stop using tie in lines and references for characters, their not cool. How the heck are newbies supposed to understand? 

The funny thing is, except in instances where it's blatantly on the nose as being a reference, they'd probably just take it as part of the action dialogue.

• Thumbs Up 6

8 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Ian for the love of god stop using tie in lines and references for characters, their not cool. How the heck are newbies supposed to understand? And I still think Shadow and Team Dark should have more neutrality in teaming up with Sonic and friends, they just clash as far as themes go. 

Or you know, maybe it's for more veteran fans and new fans can learn the references. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I still think Shadow and Rouge should not align with the Resistance even with Sonic's faction, they need to act autonomous in order to be more anti heroic and true to character. Sonic and Shadow should not be comfortable with working together even if games prsent them as such, I feel one of the problems is that certain characters don't have enough character versatility as far a their roles go if their all friends of Sonic himself. These comics so far put Shadow in Sonic's brotherly field of rivalry like Knuckles is, in all but confirmation. Shadow and Rouge should be more respected as shady and devious in comparison to Sonic's friends since as agents or anti heroes, they operate contrary to them as either rivals or intertwining foils in the same way.

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

With IDW there would, of course, be a completely knew contract that allowed use of all relevent Sonic media at this time, AoStH and SatAM not being one of them.

All relevant Modern Sonic media. ..so basically just the games. And itself.

6 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

I still think Shadow and Rouge should not align with the Resistance even with Sonic's faction, they need to act autonomous in order to be more anti heroic and true to character. 

Okay, you know what, I think that might actually be a decent point to bring up. Namely given how it reflects on Shadow's usage for a while and the merits(or rather the problems) that come with such a character.

7 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Sonic and Shadow should not be comfortable with working together even if games prsent them as such, I feel one of the problems is that certain characters don't have enough character versatility as far a their roles go if their all friends of Sonic himself. These comics so far put Shadow in Sonic's brotherly field of rivalry like Knuckles is, in all but confirmation. Shadow and Rouge should be more respected as shady and devious in comparison to Sonic's friends since as agents or anti heroes, they operate contrary to them as either rivals or intertwining foils in the same way.

Rouge on the otherhand is less of an issue given that she works more in a cooperative format both directly and subversively. Not to mention she has less of a convoluted image to upkeep.

Irregardless, they are working together with the Resistance because they were in Forces, helping take down the threat that Neo Metal Sonic possess to the world. Especially since the story isn't really about them and/or doesn't have the page space to really do much with them at the moment. Not to mention that Shadow disappearing is obviously a way of doing this.

42 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

How the heck are newbies supposed to understand?

They don't really need too ? There have been basically three big musical reference in the, and all of them are integrated to a moment (and a "cool" moment). They are just some "plus" were the reference isn't needed. We don't have to know that "my way, my own way" is a reference, as it's used in a place were it's part of the dialogue. Same for "show me what you're made off", it's a sentence that could have been used without the reference. And to be honest : I didn't understood the "I never fear the fall" ref' at first, and I still found that moment cool.

"Comical" reference were more a problem for me, though, as it's a joke were the joke is basically "it's a reference so it's funny", but when haven't the reference, it feel flat.

• Thumbs Up 3

27 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

I still think Shadow and Rouge should not align with the Resistance even with Sonic's faction, they need to act autonomous in order to be more anti heroic and true to character. Sonic and Shadow should not be comfortable with working together even if games prsent them as such, I feel one of the problems is that certain characters don't have enough character versatility as far a their roles go if their all friends of Sonic himself. These comics so far put Shadow in Sonic's brotherly field of rivalry like Knuckles is, in all but confirmation. Shadow and Rouge should be more respected as shady and devious in comparison to Sonic's friends since as agents or anti heroes, they operate contrary to them as either rivals or intertwining foils in the same way.

No, the entire point of an Anti-Hero is they operate as they see fit and blur the lines between good and evil, working in the grey areas between them. They work towards their own goals using whatever means they see fit. Sonic and Shadow aren't just total arrogant idiots who can't stand each other and can't stand working with each other given how the other operates. Shadow fights without constraint and this is what leads to his fights with Sonic, but Shadow also has enough sense and has been in enough fights with Sonic to know he has some idea of what he's doing to put aside his way of doing things when working with Sonic could offer an easier path to his goal.

It's pretty obvious why they've aligned with Sonic, because Eggman had G.U.N completely wore down during the six months Sonic was gone and it's pretty obvious that if Metal Sonic and the Eggman Empire get their hands on Angel Island, and the Master Emerald, the resistance, and by extension - G.U.N and themselves would be wiped out. Put simply, there's far more important things happening right now that require urgent attention that if not handled quickly and with a ton of resistance, it would have direct and possibly fatal consequences on themselves, I don't see how that reflects badly on either of them considering they're still operating on their best interests.

• Thumbs Up 5

Guys would you like more issues with just character interactions?

Has anybody read The Walking Dead comics? (I find it kinda like the Sonic comics, but with zombies instead of robots, villains much more vicious, and much more bleak and hopeless :p, I say this cuz I like characters regrouped in a closed space and interacting with each other (Sonic and friends in the resistance ship) (kinda like Walking Dead with all the characters in the deserted prison)

8 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Has anybody read The Walking Dead comics? (I find it kinda like the Sonic comics, but with zombies instead of robots, villains much more vicious, and much more bleak and hopeless :p, I say this cuz I like characters regrouped in a closed space and interacting with each other (Sonic and friends in the resistance ship) (kinda like Walking Dead with all the characters in the deserted prison)

Honestly, I'm not sure, interactions are nice but I want more story, personally.

11 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

1 minute ago, I Love Sticks said:

Honestly, I'm not sure, interactions are nice but I want more story, personally.

I don't see why this needs to be a separate thing. Story can be told through the interactions of the characters and what they're going through. Archie Mega Man did this for the longest time, with quite a lot of the robot master fights, especially for Mega Man 3's adapt not only having action but driving the story forward through interactions with other characters. Legends of the Blue Bomber focused in on every robot master to show how they think and feel leading up to Mega Man getting through their defences and up to their fight themselves, and through not only inter-monologues, but through interactions with Rock himself, that only added to the story and characters.

I don't really want interactions for the hell of it though, while it'd be neat, it'd lead back to the same problem we've had with this series for the past few issues, too many of the stories was lacking in story and substance and only existed to give a few interactions between characters and random exposition for what kind of world the post-resistance world is and what certain characters were doing before the comic began during Forces.