Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

The second part is odd considering Espio and Charmy got no lines at all anyway, unless they mean specifically that scenario for a debut. 

"Cream, Gemerl, and Omega haven't been introduced yet, so it'd be weird to new Sonic fans to have them suddenly show up without explaining who they are! Also we still put them on the cover anyway."

?????

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

"Cream, Gemerl, and Omega haven't been introduced yet, so it'd be weird to new Sonic fans to have them suddenly show up without explaining who they are! Also we still put them on the cover anyway."

?????

I know right!! I hate false covers !!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like those covers and some of that stuff about the FF and new characters were said during a time before sega denied some shit. And then sega did the story had to be changed and here we are. 

5 hours ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

David Marioette answers on "Why Cream/Omega/Gemerl/Hatsun the Pigeon didn't show up in issue 9..."

I honestly thought you were being serious for a second. :lol: 

5 hours ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

David Marioette answers on "Why Cream/Omega/Gemerl/Hatsun the Pigeon didn't show up in issue 9..."

tumblr_pfkypbsmcU1s255kvo1_500.png

Highlights:

"We thought, man it's cool to have Sonic and a bunch of his friends."

"And Sega thought so too!"

"It was purely an editorial decision."

"Everyone else was already introduced."

Okay, that's actually the type of explanation I would've wanted to hear on this. The fact that it came directly from an editor is a bit of a surprising courtesy.

It was actually a concern of mine back when the cover was solicited that those four weren't getting a story of their own to debut in, seemingly because they aren't "important"/"cool"/distinct enough.

So I will accept this explanation and commend the editor for not only being honest, but for actually having thought the decision through.

At least we have a cool cover of what might've been out of it.

5 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

Still, Cream keeps getting snobbed this year.

Yeah, that's the unfortunate recurrence with all of these things.

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

?????

It's been pretty well established that covers are made well ahead of time and are subject to change and/or inaccuracy as a result.

See also the Darkest Storm and Chaotix Quest solicits.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I appreciate the editor caring about the story and the characters and wanting them introduced properly.

I don't appreciate false hype cover because I was very hyped when I saw the cover, but then let down when issue 9 came out. Woul've been better if the missing characters weren't included in that cover.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

As the cover might have been done before the decision, I'm not sure that it would have been better to remove them. I mean, can you imagine the overreaction if the character had been removed from the cover (as it would have been known at one moment) ? We already had tons of speculation because of that they weren't included in the actual issues, if they had been removed from the cover, we might had got a lot more people that would have believed that it was SEGA wanting to erase these characters or something like that.

TBH I think that even if it was a bit of a let down, it was better than what could have happens in terms of rumors and stuff like that with them removed from the cover (and I'm even not talking if they had to be removed AFTER it was announced, in this case it would have been a really bad idea). Especially as anything can  become a rumor like "the author hates this character" or "this character is banned because the main company is an evil corporation wanting to annoy me" in fandoms.

1 minute ago, Kazhnuz said:

As the cover might have been done before the decision, I'm not sure that it would have been better to remove them. I mean, can you imagine the overreaction if the character had been removed from the cover (as it would have been known at one moment) ? We already had tons of speculation because of that they weren't included in the actual issues, if they had been removed from the cover, we might had got a lot more people that would have believed that it was SEGA wanting to erase these characters or something like that.

TBH I think that even if it was a bit of a let down, it was better than the alternative.

They should've decided from the start to do an accurate cover.

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

They should've decided from the start to do an accurate cover.

As they haven't "decided to make a non-accurate cover", nope. As it was said, sometimes changes happens after the cover is done (or when the cover is in production, meaning that sometimes changes can't be done). Plan changes, it happens, the cover get wrong, that's sad. Sure, it would be better if the cover were always accurate, not-spoilery (I've more a problem with spoilery cover… especially in the Archie era when spoilery cover weren't revealed at the last moment xD), but sometimes crap happens.

On 9/23/2018 at 10:25 PM, Razule said:

Maybe if Shadow was a villain again-

I'd rather take Shadow being a villain at this point over the catalog of inconsistent characterization change Shadow has had recently. He seems to be constantly be angry or annoyed. Rage isn't what makes Shadow cool, and being a conceited prick with a superiority complex most certainly isn't either. What really makes Shadow cool to begin with, his indifference, being calm but aloof and not showing emotion. All the while also being very determined and heroic, and caring deeply about some things (such as Rouge) but not showing it outwardly. People tend to forget that Shadow's cockiness and snarkiness is a big part of his character, which Ian has missed in this and archies writing, because I guess he didn't either play forces since Shadow did crack wise at the Mercs needing defending to Eggman when he ironically hired them as his defenders.

21 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

I guess he didn't either play forces since Shadow did crack wise at the Mercs needing defending to Eggman when he ironically hired them as his defenders.

Yeah, that was actually a pretty fun line.

I do agree there's no real difference between Metal Sonic and Eggman here aside from a change in competence.

But eh, I suppose it's to serve as contrast. Metal Sonic is a robot and efficient to the point, which works when Metal is just a miniboss but not much when he's the main villain.

I suppose a big problem is that Metal in general doesn't have much character beyond "Kill Sonic" and this arc isn't doing anything to change that.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I do agree there's no real difference between Metal Sonic and Eggman here aside from a change in competence.

But eh, I suppose it's to serve as contrast. Metal Sonic is a robot and efficient to the point, which works when Metal is just a miniboss but not much when he's the main villain.

I suppose a big problem is that Metal in general doesn't have much character beyond "Kill Sonic" and this arc isn't doing anything to change that.

1. Metal is supposed to be a killing machine, so real different from Eggman.

2. Okay, Neo and Eggman are both masterminds, but Neo Metal Sonic is more competent, as you said, but he's also a skilled fighter with lots of super forms, he's OP but he's also a real big bad.

3. He doesn't want just to kill Sonic, Neo wants to be THE Sonic, the real deal. I think there is potential in that...

Neither 1 or 2 of your points were relevant to the latest issue. Him being killing machine is what he normally is, Neo Metal isn't being that. Since the issue was more about finding him, he wasn't really doing anything different from Eggman by sitting behind-the-scenes in a secure location.

He wants to be the real Sonic, but that's clearly not his goal here...

Metal sonic is barely a killing machine and has always been trashed if not the same issue he's usually seen. Neo is pulling the classic I want to kill you at your best to prove I am the best and real sonic

And I'm amazed people are so well just wow that someone had to come out and explain why two characters on a cover of multiple versions was absent. Comics have done that for years.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

And I'm amazed people are so well just wow that someone had to come out and explain why two characters on a cover of multiple versions was absent. Comics have done that for years.

To be fair, that's the type of thing Mr. Flynn himself would clarify when asked after the fact if he's able to.

This was directly from an editor.

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Metal sonic is barely a killing machine and has always been trashed if not the same issue he's usually seen. Neo is pulling the classic I want to kill you at your best to prove I am the best and real sonic

To be fair comics actually tend to avoid including characters who aren't featured in the book, at least in a lot of the cape books I read. Its more so the opposite, characters not on the covered featured on the book. Or characters on the cover not featured as heavily as advertised but its a lot of times its not actually they aren't there. 

That said, this whole thing seems like during the whole rush and buzz, and Ian was kind of sort of talking about freedom fighters and year 2, there were a lot of ideas. And then sega said " Nah , also do this " and those ideas changed, and the general story structure changed, and here we are on a lot of things. IDW has a stricture release structure than Archie, and the covers were already made so push em out. And I guess they figured a lot of people wouldn't really care if those characters weren't included, and to be quite fair they are problably right. Most people probably don't remember who gemril is, cream isn't that popular and as much as I care about omega most people couldn't give less of a shit so. Those were reasonable cut losses. And probably wouldn't have had much to do in the story besides " More back up ".

Like if they have a cover with like tails, knuckles or amy and they don't show up , people would be a lot more upset about that. And generally people would avoid doing that because people would be upset about that. That isn't to say event variants exist, but usually they try to denote that or the issue in question is worked into the event some how ( much to the dismay of the writer often times ) 

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

That's odd of you to say.

In what way. I don't think I ever think I said I hate omega? I think he's rather funny. I just don't think too many people care about him. And he isn't really needed around all too often either. Maybe you are confusing my willingness to admit some characters not really needing to exist anymore as disdain. 

Omega is a cool funny robot who has probably murdered a lot of people off screen. He hasn't needed to exist since heroes, and I have heard some arguments he didn't need to exist then either

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

In what way. I don't think I ever think I said I hate omega? I think he's rather funny. I just don't think too many people care about him. And he isn't really needed around all too often either. Maybe you are confusing my willingness to admit some characters not really needing to exist anymore as disdain. 

Omega is a cool funny robot who has probably murdered a lot of people off screen. He hasn't needed to exist since heroes, and I have heard some arguments he didn't need to exist then either

Well, considering 06's cerebus expansion on his introduction...

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Omega is a spiritual successor to Gamma, the most developed character.

Omega exists because they needed a 3rd in sonic heroes, and they decided to keep him around. 

Okay, why are we talking about who's "needed"? Nobody is!

Omega isn't "needed". Shadow too. Even Eggman isn't needed, not that Sega knows it. As long as Sonic's profitable face is slapped on the franchise, it can exists (and use name "Sonic the Hedgehog".). And even then, Metal Gear dropped it's main protagonist few games ago and it's doing fine ...sorry. Couldn't keep the straight face.

Just now, MetalSkulkBane said:

Okay, we do we are talking about who's "needed"? Nobody is!

Omega isn't "needed". Shadow too. Even Eggman isn't needed, not that Sega knows it. As long as Sonic's profitable face is slapped on the franchise, it can exists (and use name "Sonic the Hedgehog".). And even then, Metal Gear dropped it's main protagonist few games ago and it's doing fine ...sorry. Couldn't keep the straight face.

Eh, I mean if are talking objectively. Yeah no one is needed, nothing is needed nothing matters. 

But if we are talking about like, telling stories communicating messages and people liking what they bring to the table. Some characters are more desirable or needed for things than others. This isn't unique to sonic, you bring up shadow but I could bring up pretty good reasons as to why he has earned his neededness in the franchise, along with tails knuckls amy and eggman. What they bring to the table, their appeals, and how successful they have been at it. I can't make that same argument for oemga. 

And that's ok. 

You seem, and a few other people seem to be confusing me saying " this character doesn't really need to exist " with " I HATE THIS CHARACTER HE ISN"T AS COOOL AS SHADOW NGHAGHJGAGAIG "  or something. Sometimes there characters you could probs do with out that are just fun to have around. That's the entirety of big the cats appeal, you don't need big the cat, he wasn't even needed and shouldn't have been in sa1, but now he's a meme and fun to have around. Does omega have meme factor? Oh god no, people barely know he exists. But he's a guy they have around, and if sga was like " Shadowlax we DEMAND YOU EXPLAIN why omega should still exist" I could give them explanations for potential , but if they were going for what he does now I couldn't really make the argument for it. Heck there are characters I like much more than omega like rouge and Espio who I couldn't at this point in their lives make the argument for them. And on that flipside I have grown to hate silver more and more and I could actually make the argument for him. 

So its not me being mean, or trying to say you are a terrible person for liking omega, I like omega. I'm not saying he sucks and should be eliminated. I'm just saying he's kind of just around, and to wrap this up back to my original response, isn't particularly liked enough or offering something that is actually explored or interesting in the context of sonic for him to cause an uproar for him not being in a comic he was featured on the cover on.