Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

If and that is a BIG if with IDW it will take quite a long time before a second series to run alongside this one would probably even be considered

Why do you say that

On 9/28/2018 at 4:42 PM, I Love Sticks said:

By the way, David Mariotte said on the IDW group that Shadow will be on all 3 covers for issue 11, which makes me think he *may* have a bigger role, not confirmed as we know covers don't always reflect the issue, although a main cover sometimes does.

What is the IDW group

Because ive been following IDW comics for near a decade. Ive seen how the runs series like transformers. They may so a side series but your more than likely to get crossovers at times rather than complete separate ongoing series.

6 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Because ive been following IDW comics for near a decade. Ive seen how the runs series like transformers. They may so a side series but your more than likely to get crossovers at times rather than complete separate ongoing series.

The way I see Sonic being supplemented at least within the next year or so, IDW will more than likely do some limited mini-series like they do for TMNT (though TMNT had its own TMNT Universe book, well, it got cancelled because it was overpriced and unnecessary). I actually think that's a better route than an entire sister book, honestly. I liked Sonic Universe, but I think smaller mini-series would open the series up to a little more experimentation/different characters and maybe allowing other creative teams without necessarily needing to build off or really tie into the ongoing. Them not being frequent would be a plus too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like a mini-series or a limited run of a Classic book, a la Mega Drive (this one hopefully will be finished), because if they do a Universe kind of series, many characters will be off-limits in the main comic due to being busy with their own adventures, which is also cool, but we wouldn't see them in the main adventures with Sonic. Unless they do crossovers. It would maybe work for Shadow, Team Dark and/or GUN, that's the sub series which I think could sustain its own comic and manage to have enough sales, because Shadow is still very popular (I think he's the most requested Echo for Smash according to a reddit poll, but that's another story), and he's independent enough to have his own adventures.

But for now I think it's best if they focus on the main book, to keep the best possible quality.

Do IDW even do ongoing spin-off titles? I’m almost certain I’ve only ever seen them do mini-series’.

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Do IDW even do ongoing spin-off titles? I’m almost certain I’ve only ever seen them do mini-series’.

IDW TMNT recently finished up with its own spinoff series (TMNT Universe) so they have done so before. Not often.

7 hours ago, Zaysho said:

The way I see Sonic being supplemented at least within the next year or so, IDW will more than likely do some limited mini-series like they do for TMNT (though TMNT had its own TMNT Universe book, well, it got cancelled because it was overpriced and unnecessary). I actually think that's a better route than an entire sister book, honestly. I liked Sonic Universe, but I think smaller mini-series would open the series up to a little more experimentation/different characters and maybe allowing other creative teams without necessarily needing to build off or really tie into the ongoing. Them not being frequent would be a plus too.

I agree with this

Also because stories can be finished

Like how they kinda started things with As cool Knuckles story and a cool shadow story and they never actually concluded really , in universe. They could actually tell and finish a story, and if those books were to do well by themselves maybe you could get more books or somethin

7 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Basically this. If anything after maybe a year you'll see a 1--8 or 9 issue side story or mini series of the same length.  but complete separate sonic universev9ngoing side book most likely not

9 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Why do you say that

What is the IDW group

IDW Sonic Comic Squad on Facebook. David Mariotte and to a lesser extent Joe Hughes are very active on it and interact with fans. They give sneak peaks and exclusive news sometimes. Mostly a lot of fan art though.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:05 PM, Shadowlax said:

I would like to see Rouge and Omega team up with a lot of non shadow people. Shadow compared to them is kind of a boyscout, a murderous one, but a boyscout. To see Two people with more lax moralities team up with a bunch of colorful goody two shoes would be rather interesting. 

We have been playing the same games and waching, reading the same animated and comic based material right? If anything rouge has to be the moral guide of Shadow if not the good cop of the team. Rouge just said in this series Shadow hardly plays by the rules or hardly has moral limits when fighting anything he's focused on stopping.

@Shadowlax @Dash Speed

It can alternate depending on the story, particularly since they're an anti-hero team. The general rule though is that Shadow is more directly goal focused, while Rouge may deviate just a bit for frivolous matters, though this is rarely done.

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

@Shadowlax @Dash Speed

It can alternate depending on the story, particularly since they're an anti-hero team.

I know but to say rouge and omega is more lax in morality compared to shadow is absolutely absurd. Shadow is know for his dark anti heroic qualities and atypical moral values more than any  character. He's the guy the characters meet and take seriously and most feel dread against when he's on punisher mode. Rouge isn't taken serious to be a bad girl, she's to over the top sexy and teasing to be a force for the heroes to consider on the defense. Omega hardly shows up and acts more like a generic strong man robot than a killing machine that runs on cool factor.

22 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Rouge isn't taken serious to be a bad girl, she's to over the top sexy and teasing to be a force for the heroes to consider on the defense.

Rouge once wanted to steal a robot and teach it how to steal so bad, she beat Amy to a point that Amy mentally created a illusion that Sonic came to recuse her and team up with her in a tag team match.

29 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

I know but to say rouge and omega is more lax in morality compared to shadow is absolutely absurd. Shadow is know for his dark anti heroic qualities and atypical moral values more than any  character. He's the guy the characters meet and take seriously and most feel dread against when he's on punisher mode. Rouge isn't taken serious to be a bad girl, she's to over the top sexy and teasing to be a force for the heroes to consider on the defense. Omega hardly shows up and acts more like a generic strong man robot than a killing machine that runs on cool factor.

- Really don't get how being sexy limits Rouge as a character , when actually that sexy thing is so minor that everyone in the cast  don't give it attention , seem that they are not of aware what  sex is , and  has nothing to do with  storyline .

- This basically your whole argument in nutshell "Rouge can't/shouldn't be independent because Shadow exists"

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

Morality and how badass you imagine a character to be are two entirely different matters. By the end of ShtH Shadow was fully committed to keeping his promise to Maria (again), and while that doesn't make him a nice guy, it keeps him pretty well on the straight and narrow. Rouge and Omega, on the other hand, don't have such moral grounding; their primary motivations are selfish, Rouge wants jewels (and is fully willing to steal them) and Omega wants revenge on/to prove himself to Eggman by destroying his robots.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Rouge once wanted to steal a robot and teach it how to steal so bad, she beat Amy to a point that Amy mentally created a illusion that Sonic came to recuse her and team up with her in a tag team match.

That's not what happened...

Battle really isn't the best place to pull from... its characterizations are probably some of the most extreme in the entire franchise.

That being said, you can't just pull that out of thin air without context. Amy spent the entire half of the game prior to that bout, and a significant amount of time before the events of Battle, quite literally Box-er-sizing herself half to death. She was frenzied and working herself so hard that Cream had to run and get help. If Rouge beat her to the point of hallucination, she was more of the straw that broke the camels back than the ruthless undertaker there to deliver an unholy beating.

#TheMoreUKno

• Thumbs Up 3

45 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Battle really isn't the best place to pull from... its characterizations are probably some of the most extreme in the entire franchise.

If we were talking about Free Riders, I would agree with you.

But besides Amy and Chaos Zero (who just shows up at one point because....who knows), Battle's characterization of everyone else is spot on, especially following Adventure 2 and Heroes.

45 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

That being said, you can't just pull that out of thin air without context. Amy spent the entire half of the game prior to that bout, and a significant amount of time before the events of Battle, quite literally Box-er-sizing herself half to death. She was frenzied and working herself so hard that Cream had to run and get help. If Rouge beat her to the point of hallucination, she was more of the straw that broke the camels back than the ruthless undertaker there to deliver an unholy beating.

Rouge's Story is the third chapter in the game after Sonic (Chapter 1) & Tails (Chapter 2). We don't learn about the Boxercise craze until Chapter 5.

Also, Amy had plenty of time between each fight to get some rest and heal.

After tricking Sonic into telling Emerl to "listen" to Rouge, she waited until Sonic & Tails left Emerl alone with Amy, KOs Amy twice, fights Chaos Gamma, gets followed by Amy in Night Babylon, KOs her again, leaves her outside the streets of Night Babylon, trains Emerl against Guard Robos and even fights him herself, goes to Central City, Amy appears a 3rd time, KOs Amy again, Amy believes Sonic appeared, fights Amy & Sonic with Emerl, defeats her a 5th time, steals a Chaos Emerald with Emerl, Emerl absorbs it, fights Sonic, KOs Sonic, and then, before her Chapter ends, she fights Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles together by herself.

So in Rouge's quest of turning Emerl into a Master Thief, Rouge beats Amy 5 times & takes on Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles alone.

To make a long story short, for all of the good things that Rouge has done, she can still be very cunning, manipulative, and cruel when she wants to be.

(IIRC, her chapter is very difficult at times)

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Morality and how badass you imagine a character to be are two entirely different matters. By the end of ShtH Shadow was fully committed to keeping his promise to Maria (again), and while that doesn't make him a nice guy, it keeps him pretty well on the straight and narrow. Rouge and Omega, on the other hand, don't have such moral grounding; their primary motivations are selfish, Rouge wants jewels (and is fully willing to steal them) and Omega wants revenge on/to prove himself to Eggman by destroying his robots.

It's surprising to realize that Shadow is probably closer to being a traditional hero (though not by much) than Rouge and Omega when you get down to it, especially given his reputation. 

• Nice Smile 1

Shadow has gone through a deliberate character arc, over the course of multiple games. Not every character has been that lucky.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

26 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

That doesn't mean she did...which unfortunately seemed to be the point.

3 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

We have been playing the same games and waching, reading the same animated and comic based material right? If anything rouge has to be the moral guide of Shadow if not the good cop of the team. Rouge just said in this series Shadow hardly plays by the rules or hardly has moral limits when fighting anything he's focused on stopping.

Nah, Shadow is the moral guide. Rouge is just chill. While I could use the batman an catwoman archetypes as examples Brooding dark hero who seems like a shit but is actually a hero and cool girl, who's actually morally lax and and will steal from you. Let me use an example I just thought of that can make it simpler than that

Shadow is the teach who is harsh but cares about you and wants you to do well.

Rouge is more chill and will joke with you, but is willing to let you fail and doesn't care because its a paycheck.

Rouge seems more nice because she's sociable but shadow's the one who's looking out for you.

And omega is a violent metal baby

50 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

It's surprising to realize that Shadow is probably closer to being a traditional hero (though not by much) than Rouge and Omega when you get down to it, especially given his reputation. 

Shadow from jump while he was being manipulated, and while what he was doing was wrong was to avenge someone. Shadow has always been trying to do what he has seen as right. He's just... kind of a dick. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

That shit happened too?

3 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Maybe prior to 2006, sure. But he's long sense dropped any real menace and has actually gotten kinda lazy from what I've heard.

Rouge isn't taken serious most of the time because she usually puts on the appearance of not being serious. And if you meant serious as in a threat(which you likely did), then yeah. She's was more of a middle woman half of the time and a side character the rest.

Also, I'm pretty sure Omega blowing things up is like half the point of his character.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

She was frenzied and working herself so hard that Cream had to run and get help.

Wait, she was boxing with Cream?

Rouge's Story is the third chapter in the game after Sonic (Chapter 1) & Tails (Chapter 2). We don't learn about the Boxercise craze until Chapter 5.

After tricking Sonic into telling Emerl to "listen" to Rouge, she waited until Sonic & Tails left Emerl alone with Amy, KOs Amy twice, fights Chaos Gamma, gets followed by Amy in Night Babylon, KOs her again, leaves her outside the streets of Night Babylon, trains Emerl against Guard Robos and even fights him herself, goes to Central City, Amy appears a 3rd time, KOs Amy again, Amy believes Sonic appeared, fights Amy & Sonic with Emerl, defeats her a 5th time, steals a Chaos Emerald with Emerl, Emerl absorbs it, fights Sonic, KOs Sonic, and then, before her Chapter ends, she fights Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles together by herself.

So in Rouge's quest of turning Emerl into a Master Thief, Rouge beats Amy 5 times & takes on Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles alone.

To make a long story short, for all of the good things that Rouge has done, she can still be very cunning, manipulative, and cruel when she wants to be.

(IIRC, her chapter is very difficult at times)

Wow, Amy sure got her shit wrecked in that game.

Also, yes, Rouge is b-BAT. Suddenly, E10000-B makes more sense.

59 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

His stated role(s) precedes him. Ain't that right, Boom?

36 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Shadow has gone through a deliberate character arc, over the course of multiple games. Not every character has been that lucky.

That too.

19 hours ago, Cuz said:

It baffles me how with a cast as large as Sonic's, only one character had had a fully-explored backstory and an extensive arc that stretches for multiple games. 

• Thumbs Up 4

32 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Wait, she was boxing with Cream?

She was at one point, but Cream ran for help because she feared that Amy was pushing herself too hard and she feared for her health. Amy was on an extreme diet and fitness plan and was self inflicting a crazy amount of punishment over herself. 

If we were talking about Free Riders, I would agree with you.

But besides Amy and Chaos Zero (who just shows up at one point because....who knows), Battle's characterization of everyone else is spot on, especially following Adventure 2 and Heroes.

Cream was so pacifist in Battle that she was willing to stand still and be beaten to death. On more than one occasion.

Knuckles flew into blind rages at a drop of a hat so many times you would have thought he was overdosing on steroids.

Not sure how that figures to "spot on". Free Riders had some bad interpretations, but its got nothing on Cream or Amy here.

When we as a viewer are first introduced to Boxersize in Chap 5, Cream makes it perfectly clear that this is a recurring event by saying "Not that again" and even going out of her way to duck participating in the first fight. So we know Amy has been doing this before and for some time. 

Amy's craze pre-dates its chap 5 introduction and as the motivation behind it is "to make herself more appealing to Sonic" its highly likely it even predates the start of Sonic battle. This is Amy's default workout regimen.

Amy couldn't even walk straight following a 5 KO bout of Boxersize and she still dragged Cream and Emerl into a 10 KO slugfest. Then following that, she revealed that she had been wearing weighted gear, took them off and was looking to rumble some more.

Cream made it very clear that Amy's extreme diet and training regimen was a cause for concern. She wasn't eating, resting and she wasn't healing - and it had been going on long enough that she knew that even as Amy's best friend, she was powerless to stop her.

True. But there are just better examples to show that opposed to cherry picking a fight and ignoring a boatload of context behind it.

If you want to see her being cunning manipulative and cruel, look at the build up to that fight instead. She tricked Sonic into giving her authority over Emerl ahead of time (ensuring he would leave with her willingly when the time came). She played her cards and bided her time until Sonic left Emerl with Amy, because she didn't want to risk a fight against him, and finally she struck a vulnerable target that wasn't equipped to defend herself. Cruel Cunning and Manipulative before she even threw the first punch.

25 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

It baffles me how with a cast as large as Sonic's, only one character had had an explored backstory and arc.

That is shortsighted

Knuckles ancestors are characters in SA1 for crying out loud. Shedding light on his situation, and he goes through a pretty big arc from nemesis to rival to friend over the course of the series. He's probably tied up in more backstory and lure than even Shadow at this point.

Gamma got a condensed, but no less complete telling of his life story. Complete with the classic redemption and mission arcs to fufil his destiny before death.

Blaze's backstory has been brought up so many times that we have conflicting paradox's about her existence. She too also had a noticble and easy to follow character arc over the course of 2 games.

Plenty of characters check that box

• Thumbs Up 4