Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Yeah the information isn't new, Ian as talked about how sometimes you just gotta deal with new rules when working with properties like this. It happens, as for the Human think I don't think anyone was speculating we would never see humans again. Heck eggman is technically human, ya know. That said, people were saying at we might see less of em, and me in particular was speculating that Sega still might not know or care what to do with gun , despite them pushing shadow so we might not see them for a while if it all. I'm open to being wrong though as for

@DabigRG

Maybe? Would be neat, it would be neat if it was kinda anti climatic and left our heroes wondering what was going on, but I feel like you can't do that year 1

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

Maybe? Would be neat, it would be neat if it was kinda anti climatic and left our heroes wondering what was going on, but I feel like you can't do that year 1

Please no.

We've had enough anticlimaxes the past few years between the games and executive meddling in the Archie comics. (Even Mania Adventures had an anticlimax as a joke, but while it worked there, you can only play that card so many times)

This is a golden opportunity, and I don't want to see it squandered just for the sake of a joke that may or may not land.

1 minute ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Please no.

We've had enough anticlimaxes the past few years between the games and executive meddling in the Archie comics. (Even Mania Adventures had an anticlimax as a joke, but while it worked there, you can only play that card so many times)

This is a golden opportunity, and I don't want to see it squandered just for the sake of a joke that may or may not land.

Yes, destroy Metal Sonic forever.

• Chuckle 1

Please no.

I didn't mean as a joke, I mean as like " there greater mysteries a foot " leading into a big mystery or something

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I didn't mean as a joke, I mean as like " there greater mysteries a foot " leading into a big mystery or something

I never said your example was a joke. That was just another argument as to how overdone anticlimaxes have been in this franchise.

And I don't think a satisfying conclusion to the first year's arc should be sacrificed for a greater plot down the line. Sure, it might lead to something bigger down the line, but what about the readers who were just invested in this first story arc? Each story should be enjoyable on its own merits, not just as part of the bigger picture.

I never said your example was a joke. That was just another argument as to how overdone anticlimaxes have been in this franchise.

And I don't think a satisfying conclusion to the first year's arc should be sacrificed for a greater plot down the line. Sure, it might lead to something bigger down the line, but what about the readers who were just invested in this first story arc? Each story should be enjoyable on its own merits, not just as part of the bigger picture.

While I do agree that maybe they shouldn't do year one like that. I don' agree with idea of doing such stories makes the story unenjoyable on its own merits

2 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

. Sure, it might lead to something bigger down the line, but what about the readers who were just invested in this first story arc

Those poor, low income readers.

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

While I do agree that maybe they shouldn't do year one like that. I don' agree with idea of doing such stories makes the story unenjoyable on its own merits

Alright, let's roll with that logic: Imagine if Mania didn't have a final boss. No Egg Reverie, no Phantom Egg- you just get to the end of Titanic Monarch and Eggman abruptly sends you to Forces.

Sure, it has plot significance, but is it a satisfying end to Mania? What if you were only invested into Mania and didn't care for Forces? (As most of us were) Would you be happy with the one part you cared about ending on such a disappointing note?

I get that the journey is the destination- in video games especially- but not having a satisfying conclusion can be a tremendous buzzkill. Just look at Time Eater.

I'm… really not for an anti-climatic battle this time. It's a brand new arc, on a brand new comic, and we got anticlimax a few time before in other media. So having a proper climax would be neater.

But I'm not against making Neo Metal "surviving" and maybe becoming "something new" at the end of the arc, somehow.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

He is clearly forced to abide to Sega's nonsensical rule. "Sonic's world, human world, sometime they crossover for the game's need" this statement by Iizuka makes ZERO sense, and we're forced to accept it as canon.

There is no real basis to say that he is more "forced" than he was before. Basically, he have already said that have he known when he created the new timeline for Archie that this was the canon, he would have used it (meaning that they were quite lax and that it's his preference to follow the official canon for that kind of thing, and for many things he stated that he prefer to follow the canon). Maybe they enforce it more than before, but there is no basis with these tweets to say that. It's exactly the same kind of bs that happened when Cream/Gemerl/Omega weren't here and that were refuted before. Not every choice is a SEGA mandate.

And yeah, generally we are obligated to accept the choices of the owner of a franchise as the official canon. That's the base of a canon. Their toys, their rules, their canon.

6 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Alright, let's roll with that logic: Imagine if Mania didn't have a final boss. No Egg Reverie, no Phantom Egg- you just get to the end of Titanic Monarch and Eggman abruptly sends you to Forces.

Sure, it has plot significance, but is it a satisfying end to Mania? What if you were only invested into Mania and didn't care for Forces? (As most of us were) Would you be happy with the one part you cared about ending on such a disappointing note?

I get that the journey is the destination- in video games especially- but not having a satisfying conclusion can be a tremendous buzzkill. Just look at Time Eater.

I dunno, I would have to experience that

And even then it depends on the game. 

I have played games that have ended in mysteries, sometimes they work. Sometimes not. Sometimes you fight the president in a samurai battle and the VR simulation breaks down and the end of the game is snake talking to you in the streets of new york. 

Depends on the game

1 minute ago, Kazhnuz said:

I'm… really not for an anti-climatic battle this time. It's a brand new arc, on a brand new comic, and we got anticlimax a few time before in other media. So having a proper climax would be neater. Nope nope nope.

But I'm not against making Neo Metal "surviving" and maybe becoming "something new" at the end of the arc, somehow.

There is no real basis to say that he is more "forced" than he was before. Basically, he have already said that have he known when he created the new timeline for Archie that this was the canon, he would have used it (meaning that they were quite lax and that it's his preference to follow the official canon for that kind of thing, and for many things he stated that he prefer to follow the canon). Maybe they enforce it more than before, but there is no basis with these tweets to say that. It's exactly the same kind of bs that happened when Cream/Gemerl/Omega weren't here and that were refuted before. Not every choice is a SEGA mandate.

And yeah, generally we are obligated to accept the choices of the owner of a franchise as the official canon. That's the base of a canon. Their toys, their rules, their canon.

I don't understand how Flynn would adapt Sonic Unleashed with two-worlds.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

That seems the easiest. Unless i'm wrong all of unleashed's areas are based on human world counter parts

Sonic had a stint in a human world where he ran around and was a werewolf for a week, and never ran into gun or any adventure era characters. 

Bam, that said I don't think Unleashed really needs adapting at this point

I think Marco said "Unleashed" because it's the first arc adapted by Flynn during the reboot era, so he would have had to adapt it differently… but it would have mostly not been a problem.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

It would have been pretty simple, and might have lead to a more straightforward arc, more similar to the game :

- All the important action would have happened on Earth. GUN would have been a part of it of course. Some arc would not even had many differences, like the Eclipse arc.

- He would have world-build more Earth during this arc, and then would have during some other arc do that for Sonic's World.

- Naugus wouldn't have been part of this arc, and would have had another storyline later. The Freedom Fighter might have been way less a focus and maybe even mostly absent, except if they traveled with Sonic to Earth.

- According of if he wanted to play with inter-world relationship, he might have done something with the fact that only one of the two world is affected, as it have a lot of story potential.

There isn't many big problems with such an adaptation (and I would say that he wouldn't have had any real problem). It basically would have been basically "Sonic Unleashed but with other characters and Adventure-era lore added". It would have been different than the actual arc we got, but it would have been pretty easy to adapt.

7 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

The way the game did it?

13 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Also speaking of closing the books, it basically confirmed Gerald couldn't have worked on anything like gemerald, that all he did was the biolizard and Shadow and that was kinda it( and what he did with shadow is now questionable)

Nothing in Shadow the Hedgehog debunks anything revealed in Sonic Battle.

In Gerald's journal entries, it's revealed he found Emerl in a GUN warehouse, learned about his abilities and history, confirmed his own theories about Chaos Emeralds, and even used Emrel as a bargaining chip to try and keep his research lab going. While he was able to install new programming and a fail safe into Emerl, Emerl still managed to destroy some of the Ark facilities after copying too many weapons and only having absorbed one Chaos Emerald.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still think Ian is ignoring these SEGA mandates, after all we haven't heard anything about the 2 worlds, or even Classic Sonic, he stated that he is Sonic from the past (which kind of confirms my headcanon about the 2 timelines split after Generations). So, don't worry, I'm sure that IF he will address these "rules", they will be explained and they will start making sense.

Like, for example, my headcanon is that Angel Island exists on both worlds and that is the portal which connects them.

• Nice Smile 1

I do get the impression that he's probably doing his best to ignore them, in much the same way as the games themselves do their best to ignore certain of these rules.  I'm not convinced that Sonic Team themselves take "two worlds" seriously; it's just a guideline to inform their construction of setting, and save them from having to actually think about what a more integrated human-animal world would look like.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Razule said:

Wouldn't that mean the Kingdom of Acorn would be on Earth?

Nope ? The arc would just be done in a different way.

10 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Nothing in Shadow the Hedgehog debunks anything revealed in Sonic Battle.

Literally the whole game is saying that game doesn't matter

In Gerald's journal entries, it's revealed he found Emerl in a GUN warehouse, learned about his abilities and history, confirmed his own theories about Chaos Emeralds, and even used Emrel as a bargaining chip to try and keep his research lab going. While he was able to install new programming and a fail safe into Emerl, Emerl still managed to destroy some of the Ark facilities after copying too many weapons and only having absorbed one Chaos Emerald.

Shadow the hedgehog strait up retcons SA2 and says battle doesn't matter. Not only is the whole point of that game in terms of lessons learned compltely contradictory to battle. How they get to that lesson is, in battle they mention maria's soul and a bunch of other dumb shit. In ShtH its aliens... and shadow's determination [insert megalovania here], which they reference to this day ( Not a joke in the sega mobile game I forget the name , but Shadow's determination is a buff ) . Which... would then...retcon the maria soul thing for him and gemeril.. because gerald does not do that in ShtH and very much frames maria as a influence on shadow, but because he met her . So if maria's soul was a means to allow gemril to do the shit he could do in terms of becoming kind of a person... and ShtH says that didn't happen and not only that gives a direct playable description of how she influenced him and doesn't mention that robot at all, and that's the game they still reference. That's called a RETCON, they decided which was more valuable and changed the lore accordingly. Come to terms with it. You can't argue that. Not a lot, besides gemril's design from battle is still referenced there's a reason for that. 

Again, I want to mention how they were totally ok with gemeril having an alt personality mapped to him in the archie comics post reboot. POST reboot, they don't care, battle never really happened. Its a robot design they keep around because they like it. And that's about it

This is a shorter, calmer response.  

Fine: An alternate version of Battle lacking certain details happened, then Eggman rebuilt what was left of Emerl into Gemerl.

Deal-deal, fifty-Fifty, shut the frikk up.

ShtH and Sonic Battle BOTH happened because Gemerl will appear in IDW.

We can't deny Sonic Battle only because it's a gameboy game and not 3D. Should we deny Sonic3&K because it's not 3d ???

13 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

ShtH and Sonic Battle BOTH happened because Gemerl will appear in IDW.

We can't deny Sonic Battle only because it's a gameboy game and not 3D. Should we deny Sonic3&K because it's not 3d ???

Sonic3&K has bigger issues outside of not being 3D, like how it contradicts elements and emerald lore from Adventure onward...

1 minute ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Sonic3&K has bigger issues outside of not being 3D, like how it contradicts elements and emerald lore from Adventure onward...

Does it?

I mean, outside of the Sky god thing.

The Master Emerald alter goes from being within Hidden Palace to out in the darn open, for one thing.

And then there’s the Super Emeralds.

And whether or not Angel Island is on one world or the other.