Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Does Sonic Battle mention who? I know it's an ancient robot.

I didn't play or watch much of Battle myself, but The Giziod originates from an ancient, Fourth Civilization that it may have wiped out.

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

He rebuilt him, stronger and better than before...like a genius.

Essentially. 

With the addition of a personality core/soul meant to constructively pacify it's true nature that ultimately failed.

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

There are two different things going on here: the "soul" Gerald gave his creations, and the memories of Maria. Both Emerl and Shadow have the "soul", only Shadow has the memories.

So you are going with the William Afton type response. Cool

Shadow the hedgehog said it was aliens.Like Strait up the reason shadow can use chaos control is because aliens.  And his memories of maria are just that. This what is continued to be referenced in the matrial, not the other thing. 

Gerald's journal talks about there being threats to have his research shut down even before Emerl goes on a rampage. And I'm not seeing anything ShtH that says it was specifically and exclusively Gerald meeting with Black Doom that led to the ARK being shut down. It's entirely possible that both events are what led to the decision to shut the ARK down.

Sure, that could have hypothetically happened. 

Its never referenced ever, nor is emril. Gerald could have secretly created created the yakua  , none of that is ever referenced or used. The thing i'm talking about is, though. 

Again, went to just go up and google and check. Black doom interact seems to be the reason why gun , pulled the trigger...figuratively and literally. But I did Learn some new shadow stuff. 

Didn't know shadow the hedgehog actually strait up disproves a popular theory about shadow. The hieroglyphics that people think is the echidina stuff, actually ancient black arms temples. Kinda feeds into my theory that mephiles and crew are old black arms that got sealed up. Kinda unrelated thought it was cool 

It also may imply that... everything the echidna's knew was because aliens....but i'm going on a weird tangent

Because there's no need to say that. Even back in SA2 immortality research was clearly not the only thing going on on the ARK; the place is crawling with Artificial Chaos and the nose of the damn thing is a planet-busting laser. It's not at all a stretch to have Gerald also researching some ancient tech because GUN wanted to weaponize it.

That's fair. Why is it never referenced again. Everything established in Shth is not only referenced again in games and in other supplementary material, like the previous comic in the reboot. And has been the format for shadow's characterization along with sonic 06. The soul thing, and emeril are never referenced. Even when emril was used, he was warped into a vessel for another character. 

The robot, the robot. Emril exists, he is canon. They found a robot somewhere. That game? Is not, the events as they relate to shadow. Is not, and cannot be connected to shadow beyond speculation because none of that is referenced or used in shadow's characterization ever again 

Just now, Shadowlax said:

So you are going with the William Afton type response. Cool

Not even remotely. The "soul" is metaphorical, Gerald programmed Emerl and Shadow with morality and a conscience like Maria's, he did not Xerox her literal soul and jam it inside of them.

Shadow the hedgehog said it was aliens.Like Strait up the reason shadow can use chaos control is because aliens.  And his memories of maria are just that. This what is continued to be referenced in the matrial, not the other thing. 

Having Black Arms DNA can be what makes it biologically possible for him to use Chaos Control, but it's his feelings about and promise to Maria that allow him to tap into that biological ability. Tikal said the emeralds change thoughts into power; his memories of Maria are the thoughts, his alien biology is what changes those thoughts into power. These don't have to contradict each other.

And when have the Black Arms ever been referenced in the series since ShtH?

Sure, that could have hypothetically happened. 

Great, so, argument over. The games don't contradict each other.

Again, went to just go up and google and check. Black doom interact seems to be the reason why gun , pulled the trigger...figuratively and literally.

If you have specific evidence of this it'd help if you posted it instead of just claiming it's there. I'm not about to trawl through an hour plus of cutscenes to try to guess what part you might be referencing.

Didn't know shadow the hedgehog actually strait up disproves a popular theory about shadow. The hieroglyphics that people think is the echidina stuff, actually ancient black arms temples. Kinda feeds into my theory that mephiles and crew are old black arms that got sealed up. Kinda unrelated thought it was cool 

What in the hell are you talking about? Why would Mephiles have anything to do with this?

That's fair. Why is it never referenced again.

Because Emerl's story has been told and there's no reason to keep bringing it up?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I didn't play or watch much of Battle myself, but The Giziod originates from an ancient, Fourth Civilization that it may have wiped out.

Essentially. 

With the addition of a personality core/soul meant to constructively pacify it's true nature that ultimately failed.

There's no soul core they said there was a " soul core " in shadow. But nah its alien blood. Shadow's a good person, because he's a good person and was influenced by a good person. Shadow has a " soul " because he's intelligent and a living thing. And also might have been a living thing before , and Gerald may have just... found and experimented on a hedgehog, but that's speculation

I also want to mention, the the reason i think the reconnected all that, is I think they just didn't want that in the mythology. Sonic is some weird shit, but I feel like someone went " maybe having Gerald be a miracle doctor that solves all our plots problems secretly found every cool thing in the world, and can extract souls and put them in peoples bodies " is a narrative crutch they didn't want. Considering they already had other popular characters like knuckles with narrative crutches and created a scenario where they could just make the answer to everything " aliens " and now shadow could effectively do or be whatever they wanted . He literally puts his pants behind him, after Shth , shadow largely does not reference maria or Gerald again. There's a reason for this, he put his past behind him. For him to then, in your scenario of battle takes place after this, unput his past behind him and call on the power of a soul experiment to do chaos control. Not only goes against ShtH outright SAYING shadow is an alien and that's why he can do the shit he can do, but the entire lesson of that game. 

Battle to me, is a what if scenario if ShtH didn't happen. 

What if it wasn't aliens, but Gerald was a miracle doctor , and he made the immortality and could even transplant soul energy or program souls. 

As opposed to ShTH where every single one of shadow's abilities, from his immortality to his chaos control abilities is " aliens " . And gerald before that with the biolizard seemed to have been struggling 

I can’t believe this is only just occurring to me now: does IDW/Sonic having any kind of presence at New York Comic-Con this week?

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

... and can extract souls and put them in peoples bodies ...

... a soul experiment ...

... and could even transplant soul energy or program souls.

Jesus christ dude it is a metaphor, Gerald was not doing mad science on some tangible material soul like a necromancer or some shit, he just tried to program his creations to be good people. Do you think Dr Light is some kind of soul wizard because Mega Man has some sense of good and evil?

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

There's no soul core they said there was a " soul core " in shadow. But nah its alien blood. Shadow's a good person, because he's a good person and was influenced by a good person. Shadow has a " soul " because he's intelligent and a living thing. And also might have been a living thing before , and Gerald may have just... found and experimented on a hedgehog, but that's speculation

I also want to mention, the the reason i think the reconnected all that, is I think they just didn't want that in the mythology. Sonic is some weird shit, but I feel like someone went " maybe having Gerald be a miracle doctor that solves all our plots problems secretly found every cool thing in the world, and can extract souls and put them in peoples bodies " is a narrative crutch they didn't want. Considering they already had other popular characters like knuckles with narrative crutches and created a scenario where they could just make the answer to everything " aliens " and now shadow could effectively do or be whatever they wanted . He literally puts his pants behind him, after Shth , shadow largely does not reference maria or Gerald again. There's a reason for this, he put his past behind him. For him to then, in your scenario of battle takes place after this, unput his past behind him and call on the power of a soul experiment to do chaos control. Not only goes against ShtH outright SAYING shadow is an alien and that's why he can do the shit he can do, but the entire lesson of that game. 

Battle to me, is a what if scenario if ShtH didn't happen. 

What if it wasn't aliens, but Gerald was a miracle doctor , and he made the immortality and could even transplant soul energy or program souls. 

As opposed to ShTH where every single one of shadow's abilities, from his immortality to his chaos control abilities is " aliens " . And gerald before that with the biolizard seemed to have been struggling 

I really don't understand how you interpreted:

Journal 7

I have heard there was an accident at the research facility. … … … Everything… Everything is gone. My own Maria's name was among the list of casualties. My beloved granddaughter… They tell me her parting words were, "Bring hope to humanity." I have decided that the keyword to activate the Gizoid's free-willed emotions-based AI program will be those very words. "Bring hope to humanity." My poor, poor Maria…"

and

Journal 8

"A heritage of the past I dug out, "Gizoid"… And the ultimate life form I created by my own hands, Shadow… I equipped both weapons with "heart." If all powers are not what is to be obtained for oneself, but what is to be born from hearts that yearn for someone, I believe all conflicts should cease to exist. Please… If there is anyone listening to my prayers… Bring hope to humanity."

and came to this conclusion:

"I took my granddaughter's soul, after she died, and put it inside the robot that killed her".

Especially since Gemerl was already sealed and shut down before Maria died.

Journal 6

"My worst fears have come true. The Gizoid has absorbed enough weaponry and technology that it has started to go out of control. The resulting rampage resulted in the destruction of most of the "Ark." … I have deciphered the rest of the stone tablet. It says, "When the Gizoid had learned all that it could, it became a god of wrath, and all was destroyed." The researchers somehow managed to subdue the Gizoid and sealed it away. Luckily, it only had one "Chaos Emerald" installed. If it were to have all 7 Emeralds installed, it might destroy the whole planet. The Gizoid is too much of a liability. I tried destroying its core, but nothing I did worked. I understand too little of the technology that built him. My best hope is to try and reprogram its AI into a free-willed, emotions-based AI…"

Just now, Diogenes said:

Not even remotely. The "soul" is metaphorical, Gerald programmed Emerl and Shadow with morality and a conscience like Maria's, he did not Xerox her literal soul and jam it inside of them.

He didn't program shadow with any of that. In Shth he meets maria, and that is what influences him. That's it. 

Just now, Diogenes said:

Having Black Arms DNA can be what makes it biologically possible for him to use Chaos Control, but it's his feelings about and promise to Maria that allow him to tap into that biological ability.

LIke dude, there is no canonical anything anywhere that says that. Maria motivates shadow, but she motivates him to do the right thing and to be a good person. His biological abilities are there because one of his dad's a space monster.  What you are saying is pure speculation and is backed by nothing canonical 

Just now, Diogenes said:

Tikal said the emeralds change thoughts into power; his memories of Maria are the thoughts, his alien biology is what changes those thoughts into power. These don't have to contradict each other.

That's neat speculation, this backed by nothing. Also his thoughts are doing the right thing, maira is an inspiration. 

Side note: This has never happened in cannically m

Just now, Diogenes said:

And when have the Black Arms ever been referenced in the series since ShtH?

gVYXvkZ.jpg

Also in sonic generations as an actual trophy and not music

Also in the new comic

But back to the comic page I just posted, this is post reboot when it was rebooted to become a lot closer to the games. You know what they did with emrl in the reboot? Literally mapped an entire characters personality inside his body.

Oh hey that's wierd? They denies Ian using things like mephilies but let him establish lore in reference to shadow with the black arms, and keeps having him bring it up. But with the robot from sonic battle, they didn't care and let it be used as a literal vessel for someone else.

OH wow its almost as if

one of those things, are canon and connected to the most popular character in the franchise and they care about. And the other is a non canon spin off thing and don't care about it and will just let people use that robot design for whatever if they bother to remember what sonic battle is

Imagine that was said in a plinkette esque voice

Just now, Diogenes said:

Great, so, argument over. The games don't contradict each other.

No, I'm saying sure they could have happened if you speculate them to happen. 

Pigs could have flied before human's saw pigs too. And they never fly in human eye sight. We however and information to suggest that this isn't the case. 

You could speculate that to be true , if you want. Which you are doing right now, by suggesting battle is canon. 

Just now, Diogenes said:

If you have specific evidence of this it'd help if you posted it instead of just claiming it's there. I'm not about to trawl through an hour plus of cutscenes to try to guess what part you might be referencing.

The events of shadow the hedgehog the game?

Just now, Diogenes said:

What in the hell are you talking about? Why would Mephiles have anything to do with this?

It doesn't have anything to do with this current conversation. I went to go google some shit to check facts for this argument, saw that the a lot of the stuff in geralds lab was retconned to be black arms stuff, and they had been there 1000's of years ago and new the true nature to chaos control , and I had a theory talking about a lot of the monsters in 06 look like black arms and all of those dudes being old black arms would actually explain some things in that game. I shouldn't have brought that up , sorry. Justt hought it was cool

Just now, Diogenes said:

Because Emerl's story has been told and there's no reason to keep bringing it up?

Emerl's story being told does not explain " maria soul " energy never being brought up again. And in the comic I just linked, uh.. they actively go to reinforce the alien thing and shadow's how deal in that comic was and in sun sequent comics is that he thinks he's a monster and is hung up over that. Its also a thing in sonic 06. 

But he never mentioned soul energy. Because he could just go " I have maria's soul in me so i'm fine " , but he doesn't. 

Its almost as if that character development didn't happen and was in a non canon game

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Its never referenced ever, nor is emril. Gerald could have secretly created created the yakua  , none of that is ever referenced or used.  

The what?

It also may imply that... everything the echidna's knew was because aliens....but i'm going on a weird tangent

SarcasticUnkemptIndianhare-small.gif

Stufff I refuse to edit down

Isn't that basically what I said?

Nah, nah I'm done. 

It really clear that that game is beyond non canon. But hey, Ian flyn as a podcast. Maybe you could hit him up an ask! Maybe i'm a dumb wrong idiot. Either way, i'm done with this argument. You all don't have to hear me praddle on about the canonicity of souls and aliens. I'm done. I will leave you with an admitting I fucked up in one of my arguments and bringing up that Megaman does eventually go into soul energy territory 

Do you think Dr Light is some kind of soul wizard because Mega Man has some sense of good and evil?

....Uh

How many games in the megaman X and Zero series did you play...

Cuz ... that happens. Shit gets wild later in the X series, so considering the things that X and Zero inevitably do , which is the former turns into a robot soul and the latter evovles into a human robot hybrid, and then turns into a soul along with the megaman soul that grants the user megaman abilities in the ZX series. Yes Both Wiley and Light were insane miracle doctors. That's one timeline

Classic, X, Zero, and ZX is one timeline. By the end of the timeline, they turn into robot souls. In X, X turns into a robot soul

19 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

I really don't understand how you interpreted:

and

and came to this conclusion:

Especially since Gemerl was already sealed and shut down before Maria died.

The thing you quoted about him killing her is a typo I made and purely my bad. I fucked up, that's on me

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Not to go off on another tangent here, but don't you just love how that both makes sense and doesn't?

25 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that out too.

26 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Was talkin bout Emerl, dude.

You can't normally put a heart or soul or whatever into a robot without specific conditions. 

26 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I also want to mention, the the reason i think the reconnected all that, is I think they just didn't want that in the mythology. Sonic is some weird shit, but I feel like someone went " maybe having Gerald be a miracle doctor that solves all our plots problems secretly found every cool thing in the world, and can extract souls and put them in peoples bodies " is a narrative crutch they didn't want. 

I mean, essentially.

Cause honestly, they could've just created another archeological scientist to discover the Gizoid and attempt to modify it into being operational again.

But Shadow was in the game and we have to tie the backbone of everything to him somehow.

32 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

He literally puts his pants behind him 

I am the Ultimate Streaker-- this is Who I Am.

17 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Shit I refuse to specify and edit down

1. Shadow's Game is referenced in Generations?

2. Shard was a Mecha Sonic that copied aspects of Sonic's personality and ended up turning good because of that. Gemerl is the rebuilt version of a robot that first copied and was destroyed by Sonic and was now living peacefully after being repair a second/third time by Tails. The seemingly similar personality between two entirely different realities is just a coincidence in-universe and a perfectly malleable similar out. 

3. Mephiles is the brain of an Interdimensional Time god that was forcefully plucked from it's dimension and experimented on.

20 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Cuz ... that happens. Shit gets wild later in the X series, so considering the things that X and Zero inevitably do , which is the former turns into a robot soul and the latter evovles into a human robot hybrid, and then turns into a soul along with the megaman soul that grants the user megaman abilities in the ZX series. Yes Both Wiley and Light were insane miracle doctors. That's one timeline

...Wha-huh-huh-hut...?

He didn't program shadow with any of that. In Shth he meets maria, and that is what influences him. That's it. 

We know for a fact that Gerald directly manipulated Shadow's mind, because after he went insane he brainwashed Shadow into enacting his revenge scheme, and there are explicit lines in Battle talking about Gerald giving Shadow a "soul" or a "heart":

Shadow: Why did Gerald give me a soul?!
Rouge: He was not interested in researching weapons. He was researching a way to bring happiness and hope to all people. But, he was forced by the government and by the military to use his research for war. That's why he gave you and Gizoid a "soul." A soul identical to his beloved granddaughter, Maria.

[Gerald's] Journal 8
"A heritage of the past I dug out, "Gizoid"… And the ultimate life form I created by my own hands, Shadow… I equipped both weapons with "heart." 

LIke dude, there is no canonical anything anywhere that says that.

That's neat speculation, this backed by nothing.

Okay, and what do you have to counter it? Jack and shit. I don't have to lay out a 100% confirmed canon explanation to show that ShtH and Battle don't have to contradict each other.

*comic cover*

The comics are not canon to the games and with as much bullshit as they got away with it should be obvious that they are not a clear window into how Sega/Sonic Team has decided the series works.

Also in sonic generations as an actual trophy and not music

There are no Black Arms trophies in Generations' trophy room.

No, I'm saying sure they could have happened if you speculate them to happen. 

So, again, the games don't necessarily conflict with each other.

Emerl's story being told does not explain " maria soul " energy never being brought up again.

Yeah just like Shadow doesn't shout "and with my Black Arms DNA I now perform Chaos Control!" every time he uses it. A thing doesn't need to be shouted constantly to continue being true.

And that you're describing this as "maria soul energy" shows that you don't have the slightest clue what the games or I am trying to say about this stuff.

And in the comic I just linked, uh.. they actively go to reinforce the alien thing and shadow's how deal in that comic was and in sun sequent comics is that he thinks he's a monster and is hung up over that. Its also a thing in sonic 06. 

It's also a thing in Battle, where he angsts about being a living weapon, because that's what the point is in the games, not specifically that he's part alien.

21 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Oh the hypothetical that's cool. 

Metaphorical. They're two different words with completely different meanings.

There's no proof he ever did anything like that,

Again I refer to the quotes at the top of this post.

( Your scenario also assumed gerald made shadow and didn't find him which is something never confirmed, so there's that ) 

"The ultimate life form I created by my own hands" seems pretty cut and dry dude. Regardless even if Shadow was originally some guy off the street and Gerald did science to him, that still wouldn't mean that Gerald couldn't have tried to program a metaphorical soul into him. Again, we know Gerald could and did mess with Shadow's mind; if he could twist Shadow's memories to make him a genocidal maniac then he could just as well have tried to imbue him with a conscience as he says that he did.

....Uh

How many games in the megaman X and Zero series did you play...

I'm not talking about X and Zero's anime bullshit, I'm talking about classic "3 Laws compliant" Mega Man, and the general idea of the soul or heart as a metaphorical concept.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

'm not talking about X and Zero's anime bullshit, I'm talking about classic "3 Laws compliant" Mega Man, and the general idea of the soul or heart as a metaphorical concept.

Like I said , i'm done with the shadow argument. 

But That's canon , that's all the same timeline. 

So yeah technically. Wiley and Light gave X and Zero robot souls. Dunno if they gave megaman one, but I believe later in the classic series megamn is making like moral decisions on whether or not to kill wily, so while that might be a soul there is clearly some intelligence. So he might have like a prototype soul

Robot souls~

Edit: actually considering that robots actually being human and having souls is kind of a consistent narrative trait for a lot of megamn... you could probably on good authority say at least probably? Even Battle network , where all the megamenz are all litterally ExE exicutables they even have souls and can fuse with humans. Considering wiley seemed to want to make Megaman and roll like real children, I could see them having robot souls, but this speculation. So i'm not gonna state that as fact

18 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

The Master Emerald alter goes from being within Hidden Palace to out in the darn open, for one thing.

And then there’s the Super Emeralds.

And whether or not Angel Island is on one world or the other.

In the past, the ME was in the open, and look what happened. Surely the survivors didn't want it again so they hid it.

The Super Emeralds became the Chaos Emeralds after S3K.

• Thumbs Up 3

Shadow story arcs should have a cautionary label stating Ages 13 or up. I hate how after his game, Shadow isn't allowed to have mature based context and complex stories anymore, it shows Sonic Team is afraid to make Shadow a stand alone brand with his own image being popular enough to have his own setting without typical sonic constraints. 

There is nothing "mature" or "complex" about Shadow's game and it's among the worst portrayals of the character so far. We don't need tryhard edgy teeny wienie 13+ BS. This is Sonic the Hedgehog's comic. And since when was Shadow brand material anyway? 

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:

Yeah, Sega needs to cater to the HARDCORE 13-year-old audience more.

2 hours ago, Flame Lance said:

There is nothing "mature" or "complex" about Shadow's game and it's among the worst portrayals of the character so far. We don't need tryhard edgy teeny wienie 13+ BS. This is Sonic the Hedgehog's comic. And since when was Shadow brand material anyway? 

SA2 could be a indication then. 06 as well, Shadow has plenty of potential for better written plots that explores a bigger older audience style.

5 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Shadow story arcs should have a cautionary label stating Ages 13 or up. 

Or alternatively no they don't. 

6 hours ago, Flame Lance said:

There is nothing "mature" or "complex" about Shadow's game and it's among the worst portrayals of the character so far.

Eh? Not at all. 

You must have not read the archie comics... that shit.... The archie comics... might have the or had rather at one point the worst portrayals of everyone. Along with that, the general message of the game, is actually kind of mature one. its just, hidden behind guns and cursing. 

And since when was Shadow brand material anyway? 

He's more brand material than actually everyone else in the franchise not named sonic. The guy writing the comic admitted if they started doing character books , he's kinda first up. You don't gotta like shadow, you gotta live with how popular he is though. 

All that said, instead of putting some dumb 13+ thing on shadow's book, because that's dumb. We could use shadow's stories to tell interesting and more involved stories, and more mature ones. Yes that might make your blood boil, but you can do that with out guns and cursing and its totally fine. And shadow and rouge tbh kind of the perfect candidates to do such thing. Along with silver and blaze I feel . 

We interrupt the discussion to bring in the cover of IDW Sonic #12-

tumblr_pg55pr9vYd1rplhyso1_400.jpg

That tails mechanism reminds me a little of the Tails Doll...

• Thumbs Up 5

Ah.

Delightfully creepy of you Eggman.

I bet anyone of those would kick the shit out of Annabelle.

• Thumbs Up 2

The impression I get is that perhaps Eggman's memory returning isn't a sudden moment, but more of a slow burn.  Over time Mr. Tinker just gets more and more Eggman-like.  That strikes me as a more interesting arc than just him remembering all at once or revealing that he really was faking it.

• Thumbs Up 2