Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

So I noticed Joe Hughes follows Ian on Twitter. Mix that in with Ian's Vague #KnowingSmile tweets and I'm thinking odds are pretty good we got our first Archie Sonic vet.

• Thumbs Up 2

Still hoping we get some of the art staff. Ian's writing was waning on me post-reboot, but Yardley, Skelly, Hesse, and Knight always made an issue visually appealing if nothing else. Even several of the artists I wasn't a huge fan of like Hernandez, Peppers, Stanley, Thomas, and Wells all had pretty good work. Herms always impressed me with colors too. And it'll be really weird if Spaz doesn't do covers in some capacity.

I know you can't bring everyone back, but if even half of those names show up in one form or another I'd be happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/15/2017 at 1:45 PM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

How about the games answer their own damn questions as oppose to relying on a more niche medium to do it for them, like they should have done in the first place?

Why a more interactive and immersive media like video games would need the comics to provide answers that it can do much better on its own is something that makes absolutely no sense by comparison.

Not that I'd want the comic to just be an explanatory companion piece to the games, but I think the pacing and format of a comic can let it go into more detail on certain things compared to a game where the storytelling is always competing for time/attention with the actual gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 6

23 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

I wasn't a huge fan of like Hernandez, Peppers, Stanley, Thomas, and Wells .

I'm...trying to wrap my head around someone not like Jen Hernandez's style and it's just not clicking. Not saying your wrong for not liking her art just you're easily the first person I've ever seen who didn't like her art.

Side Note I'm certain that Peppers and Hernandez and probably even Ryan Jample will be back seeing as they all have worked for IDW. Peppers on TMNT:AA, Jample did covers for the same book and contributed art for Dexter's Laboratory and Hernandez has a variant cover coming for My Little Pony Legends of Magic.

Ben Bates has also worked there but he's gone off the grid lately so it's anyone's guess.

Honestly I'm hoping a few IDW house artists take a spin at it. I'd love to see Sophie Campbell (TMNT, Jem and the Holograms) take a shot at Sonic and even though he primarily does Transformers I'd love to see Alex Miline do an arc.

4 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

Still hoping we get some of the art staff. Ian's writing was waning on me post-reboot, but Yardley, Skelly, Hesse, and Knight always made an issue visually appealing if nothing else. Even several of the artists I wasn't a huge fan of like Hernandez, Peppers, Stanley, Thomas, and Wells all had pretty good work. Herms always impressed me with colors too. And it'll be really weird if Spaz doesn't do covers in some capacity.

I know you can't bring everyone back, but if even half of those names show up in one form or another I'd be happy.

I hope , while not going overboard, we can get like actual weird and good variant art styles

On September 16, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Diogenes said:

Not that I'd want the comic to just be an explanatory companion piece to the games, but I think the pacing and format of a comic can let it go into more detail on certain things compared to a game where the storytelling is always competing for time/attention with the actual gameplay.

Which can practically go into padding in a format that more likely would have much less room to cover it as it's telling its story. Hardly, the best way to answer questions presented from the games.

If one wanted more detail for the questions posed in a game, there are several ways a game can do it leagues better than a less interactive medium: aside from the obvious inclusion of a codex giving the option to look up details that one gets interest in delving into akin to what Unleashed did, things like NPCs giving their thoughts on a subject, backgrounds and environments with details and set pieces that show something worth looking into or hearing, among other ideas that would involve the audience more, and giving them freedom to do so of their own time and volition and to a much broader group gives more detail in a game than a comic that has a smaller audience follow along while restricting their focus to what to pay attention to.

So again, how about the games answer their own damn questions as oppose to relying on a more niche medium to do it for them, like they should have done in the first place? They have a variety of ways and a lot more flexibility to do so that comics either pale in comparison to or cannot implement themselves due to the lack of interactivity.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what I'd like to see crossoverwise? Sonic and Power Rangers. Shocker I know.

Boom Studios and IDW have worked together in the past and both are big 90's nostalgia properties that most people not in the know think are dead. Plus it could play on the "Rivalry" between MMPR and SatAM. Also who wouldn't get a kick out of Eggman interacting with Zedd and/or Rita depending on where it'd be set.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Well, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles meet the three primary colours. Throw in Amy and Shadow for the other colours, and it's a pretty great match. Depending what colour Tommy represents at the minute [think he's still Green Dragon], Vector could be used, or Jet if the Rogues return. Of course, this is if they want 12 in the final battle.

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

You know what I'd like to see crossoverwise? Sonic and Power Rangers. Shocker I know.

Boom Studios and IDW have worked together in the past and both are big 90's nostalgia properties that most people not in the know think are dead. Plus it could play on the "Rivalry" between MMPR and SatAM. Also who wouldn't get a kick out of Eggman interacting with Zedd and/or Rita depending on where it'd be set.

I could see Eggman palling around with Hydro Hog very well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

I could see Eggman palling around with Hydro Hog very well. 

I'd be all for The Alien Rangers appearing. Honestly felt MMAR was underrated. Well except the Shogun Megazord fights. Those were not great. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Silver would be the counterpart to the White Ranger, but I doubt they would use him yet. 

Bulk and Skull = Stratch and Grounder.

36 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Silver would be the counterpart to the White Ranger, but I doubt they would use him yet. 

Bulk and Skull = Stratch and Grounder.

The Rogues could be Rito, Scorpina, and Goldar's counterparts. And what about Ivan Ooze? Or what if there were more Zordon-era villains?

In regards to working the Egg Bosses into IDW Sonic, I'll note that we don't really surely know what Eggman's postion in society is within the games. Some games have suggested he's like his Sonic X version where's just a terrorist squatting in whereever whereas other games (especially spinoffs) have him influential enough to have his own corporation, build old rigs, and open amusement parks.

They could just make Eggman more of a Doctor Doom type who rules some third world territory with the Egg Bosses being more or less his answer to Sonic's posse.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Well, we kinda know that the Egg Bosses don't fit into the modern era hierarchy, otherwise Eggman couldn't offer half the world post-conquering to the Chaotix on a whim since any Egg Bosses in said half of the world would have something to say about it. 

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

59 minutes ago, Almar said:

They could just make Eggman more of a Doctor Doom type who rules some third world territory with the Egg Bosses being more or less his answer to Sonic's posse.

Yeah. I could see the Eggman Empire having the size of Latveria.

8 hours ago, DarkRula said:

Well, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles meet the three primary colours. Throw in Amy and Shadow for the other colours, and it's a pretty great match. Depending what colour Tommy represents at the minute [think he's still Green Dragon], Vector could be used, or Jet if the Rogues return. Of course, this is if they want 12 in the final battle.

Nah man

Shadow not even a power ranger, that's a waste of potential. You make shadow a kamen rider. Hell the name of his dumb bike is dark rider. 

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well, we kinda know that the Egg Bosses don't fit into the modern era hierarchy, otherwise Eggman couldn't offer half the world post-conquering to the Chaotix on a whim since any Egg Bosses in said half of the world would have something to say about it. 

Are you talking about Sonic Heroes? Eggman just said he'd pay the Chaotix after he finishes conquering the world. Also, enough of the Egg Bosses don't rule any territory and are just thugs he recruited.

54 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Nah man

Shadow not even a power ranger, that's a waste of potential. You make shadow a kamen rider. Hell the name of his dumb bike is dark rider. 

I doubt it would be worth it to anyone involved to license an entirely separate franchise for that one bit, especially since it wouldn't even really fulfill the purpose needed here.

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, Almar said:

Are you talking about Sonic Heroes? Eggman just said he'd pay the Chaotix after he finishes conquering the world. Also, enough of the Egg Bosses don't rule any territory and are just thugs he recruited.

That's the localised line. The original Japanese line has Eggman offer territory, not money. 

Also, quite a few of the Egg Bosses have some domain to rule, whether it be just a property and some land, a fleet or an entire region. That would still peeve them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not like the Chaotix would ever accept his offer and any Egg Bosses would be in the area to hear him make it.

I don't know what you're saying. Are you saying Eggman being a jackass to his henchmen is out of character or something?

Okay, it seems it's that time again when I can engage in the discussion of the topic and make a total fool out of myself. :D

Nah, what I gathered with my "first non-native language" is that @VEDJ-F uses it to rationalise why the Egg Bosses most likely won't exist in the "Modern Games Universe" (if I got this all wrong, you may whack me with facts since you know them way better than I do). 

Like the iron thread model; Eggman has conquered territory at some pont. Metal Sonic goes crazy since Sonic Heroes stuff. In said game Eggman asks for help and offers payment. His offer isn't about money but the territory instead.

But what if he has some henchmen-minions running territories for him instead? He'd need to offer pretty fractured areas if he wouldn't want to relocate (if that's even possible in that way). So what if he goes with it and does it anyway, in a non-fractured way?

Minion-bosses are angry. Eggman's in trouble anyway. Mini-bosses won't prolly want to relocate since "reasons". Some have very heavy reasons for having their own turfs where they are and some others just are easily offended by these things I suppose.

We're not considering the fact WE AS PLAYERS know Chaotix won't take it. The context is about Eggman trying to figure out what he has to offer for help he gets. HE DOESN'T KNOW what we know, he's in the story playing his part after all.

At least I think Eggman should be clever enough to know what it'd mean for his plans to pull the rug from under his minions like that; they'd start to cause trouble at worst. EVEN if the offer's turned down it's still been made; the idea of their boss taking their turfs from them that easily without any warning isn't the best way to show any bit of consideration towards the fact these minions are playing their part in Eggmans "masterplan". Why should they keep pleasing him if they get no "respect" ( <- for the lack of better wording) out of it?

In short; Eggman wouldn't know whether or not the Chaotix will turn his offer down or not (his head works in that way) so he needs to be pretty darn sure about what he's doing when he's giving out his own territory. And eavesdropping has been invented... one can never know who'll hear the words they speak out loud after all.

I dunno, I think it's pretty understandable thoughtprocess, that he wouldn't have sub-bosses like that since the Heroes reason.  

• Nice Smile 1

6 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

New York Comic Con is on October 5-8 and IDW will reveal new info on the comic there. Who's excited?

Do we know for sure that they will be talking about the new Sonic book or is this just wishful thinking?

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Do we know for sure that they will be talking about the new Sonic book or is this just wishful thinking?

it was confirmed, in a tweet if i'm not wrong, that the first details will be revealed on a panel on the 8th

• Thumbs Up 4