Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

6 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Soo... that's it.

It's pretty much ruined for me if the old comics cast is gone.

Bye, it was nice to know you, Sonic comics.

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Because the questions are so bad.

If we got an interview at TSS with anyone and sent these questions in. Only 2 of them would get answered so far.

4 archie comic related questions so far for IDW'S panel. Nobody has asked anything related to what Sonic will actually be like.

Every question has either been 'what have Sega said you can't do' and 'Will this from Archie be in/continued

Its a wasted opportunity.

Did it honestly still not click for people that a new adaptation at a different company would be… a new adaptation at a different company?

Like, they're not really saying anything, but that's because the very basics—that it's the IDW Sonic comic, not the Archie comic continued—needed to be stated explicitly for people to understand them, for some reason, despite the fact that it's what everybody literally should have expected based on how Sonic adaptations have always worked.

It's like Penders and the complaint that the movie will be 'based on the games instead of the comics'. Of course it's gonna be based on the games but he also seems to think it's going to be a 1-to-1 conversion when… no. He does remember he wrote his book based on an adaptation that did the same amount of adding and changing?

3 minutes ago, DoubleXXCross said:

Did it honestly still not click for people that a new adaptation at a different company would be… a new adaptation at a different company?

Like, they're not really saying anything, but that's because the very basics—that it's the IDW Sonic comic, not the Archie comic continued—needed to be stated explicitly for people to understand them, for some reason, despite the fact that it's what everybody literally should have expected based on how Sonic adaptations have always worked.

It's like Penders and the complaint that the movie will be 'based on the games instead of the comics'. Of course it's gonna be based on the games but he also seems to think it's going to be a 1-to-1 conversion when… no. He does remember he wrote his book based on an adaptation that did the same amount of adding and changing?

Well yeah, but I've said many times earlier how stupid and sentimental person I am when it comes to stuff like this.

I just wanted to see the characters at least... not all the time, just once in a while... :(

2 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Gee... I don't have money for weekly stuff IDW!!!

Its not weekly, think of it as a "month of Sonic" after which they go to monthly. they want to make up for the almost year and a half of no comics.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, goku262002 said:

Its not weekly, think of it as a "month of Sonic" after which they go to monthly. they want to make up for the almost year and a half of no comics.

Well, still it's going to be pricey month... I seriously hope it's 3.99 and not 4.99 bucks... I cannot afford 6 euros per week even for a month!

Well, if I decide to give it a shot...

Ian again eh?

That's good. 

...This is kind of embarrassing but to be honest I was actually really interested in seeing what a different lead writer would do. No offense of course. It's just one of those things I couldn't help being curious about. 

The issues I tended to have with Ian's writing definitely got ironed out a bit as time went on. They weren't entirely fixed by the end of his run. I still had a few issues with the way things were being done but not enough to hate the fact that he's back so I'm in a bit of an interesting position here. 

Now if this were the games I'd be over the moon about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So what are the details so far? I can't watch the stream on my phone for some reason.

All I know is that Ian Flynn is back, and that the old Archie universe is gone with the characters in a sort of limbo on whether or not they're going to be in.

• Nice Smile 2

I think the brightest note here is the fact Ian's writing so we're avoiding a comic written like the games.

Y'know, assuming it's not mandated to hell.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

So what are the details so far? I can't watch the stream on my phone for some reason.

All I know is that Ian Flynn is back, and that the old Archie universe is gone with the characters in a sort of limbo on whether or not they're going to be in.

That's about it. Most of the questions were pretty bad, and even then their answers were largely noncommital. Didn't really get anything out of this that couldn't have been answered in a tweet.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Ian again eh?

That's good. 

...This is kind of embarrassing but to be honest I was actually really interested in seeing what a different lead writer would do. No offense of course. It's just one of those things I couldn't help being curious about. 

The issues I tended to have with Ian's writing definitely got ironed out a bit as time went on. They weren't entirely fixed by the end of his run. I still had a few issues with the way things were being done but not enough to hate the fact that he's back so I'm in a bit of an interesting position here. 

Now if this were the games I'd be over the moon about it. 

Did they confirm that he'll be the lead, or just mentioned that he's in a team?

If he's about to be the lead, and de facto sole writer, that's some dreadful news.

I think they said lead writer. Not sure if he’s the only writer on there. Of course, he’s the only one we know of right now.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Korke said:

If he's about to be the lead, and de facto sole writer, that's some dreadful news.

Why is it dreadful?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Korke said:

I'm just going by what the front article on the Sonic Stadium said.

I guess I'm not super jazzed about it because I was SO ready for something entirely new unlike a few other people here. Flynn being back kind of makes it feel like I won't get that which does admittedly bum me out a bit. However, there's also the fact that he's someone they could already reliably ask to bring a certain amount of care to the way the Sonic cast is handled. There's no assurance that who they'd choose otherwise would have been great. Although, I feel like IDW would have been able to do that fine.

Well, as long as my favorite writer is onboard, I can hold out on it being decent.

I don't think I'll have the same enthusiasm as I did for his work on Archie depending on how it goes...tho I said this same exact shit when the Genesis Wave reboot happened in Archie, and I still loved it just as much somehow, so I might end up wrong.

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, goku262002 said:

Also Ian was always lead writer but it didn't stop archie from letting others write. Tracey Yardley also wrote a couple arcs and I think Tyson had some input for the Megadrive series.

That only happened in SU IIRC. In the main book he was the sole writer.

Althought, I'm not sure if IDW will repeat this method again.

2 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Again with the "stay tuned" thing for characters, its not a solid "no" like it was with the weird Sonic X question.

Also Ian was always lead writer but it didn't stop archie from letting others write. Tracey Yardley also wrote a couple arcs and I think Tyson had some input for the Megadrive series.

Well, that's making me antsy... I fear they won't come back and I'd like to see them...

Well, Ian may be able to turn it salvageable though.

Why did this turn into Forces ad?

1 hour ago, goku262002 said:

Again with the "stay tuned" thing for characters, its not a solid "no" like it was with the weird Sonic X question.

Yes I know. It didn't really matter enough for it to make that huge a difference for me. I liked some of Tracey's stories and some I didn't as much. The overall feel of the comic never felt supremely different though.

And I'm personally hoping that at least those Archie characters will stay gone. The idea of just have a nice, clean, fresh start is what I'm really looking forward to a ton. I don't know what Ian being in the mix with IDW is going to mean so I don't know where things will stand by the time it finally comes out.