Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

This is the outcome that I was hoping for. I'm sorry that the Archie universe isn't being continued for those who desperately wanted some closure at least (and there's absolutely positive to say about the end of Mega Drive), but a brand new series from head-writer Flynn really is the best way to go. Now I still would rather we only got game characters and entirely new characters instead of any of the Archie or SatAM bunch, but I wouldn't object of they showed up further down the line. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Blue Blood said:

This is the outcome that I was hoping for. I'm sorry that the Archie universe isn't being continued for those who desperately wanted some closure at least (and there's absolutely positive to say about the end of Mega Drive), but a brand new series from head-writer Flynn really is the best way to go. Now I still would rather we only got game characters and entirely new characters instead of any of the Archie or SatAM bunch, but I wouldn't object of they showed up further down the line. 

If anything, we know game characters that are long dead can come back. All game stuff is usable according to Aaron (which hey, might even include Eggman Nega this time around). But this also means it's likely we could see Bean, Bark, Nack, Honey, Mighty and Ray back.

If they can really use everything from the games... well... interesting to see if that's true...

All the forces advertising is Because Ruby is there.

A reminder that IDW can use anything and anywhere from the games in the comics.

Ian isn't restricted by the same mandates he was over at Archie, that means 2006, chronicles and characters that SEGA wouldn't allow due to some dumb mandate can be used (looking at you Eggman NEGA).

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Again with the "stay tuned" thing for characters, its not a solid "no" like it was with the weird Sonic X question.

Archie characters are a way more touchy subject than Sonic X. I don't think many people were expecting anything X to be introduced, or upset at it's omission. They're gonna put off breaking the bad news as long as possible, and especially won't do it at a live event like this (I think I saw people leaving after it was first asked)

Great to see that Ian is retuning(even tho we all saw it coming) and 4 issues in 1 month that's crazy.  I just wished that they told us what the comic is about instead of just saying "you'll see soon don't worry". Seriously this panel was similar to the SXSW panels they did there was really no point to it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Archie characters are a way more touchy subject than Sonic X. I don't think many people were expecting anything X to be introduced, or upset at it's omission. They're gonna put off breaking the bad news as long as possible, and especially won't do it at a live event like this (I think I saw people leaving after it was first asked)

Well, the longer they hold that info the more I'm starting to get ready not to buy...

2 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

So flynns back, neat.

Is the panel over?

Yep. But there’s another panel about solicits for later this year and early next year coming up next, so there MIGHT be something about Sonic there. 

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I think so too, it's the best thing. But Ian created some really cool characters in his reboot, so it'd be a waste not to see them again. Sure he can create more, and obviously it's impossible to do a comic book without original characters, they will have to introduce more, so if those are owned by SEGA or Ian, I hope they use them. The Freedom Fighters can work too in SMALL doses, however the focus should be on Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

All the forces advertising is Because Ruby is there.

Ian isn't restricted by the same mandates he was over at Archie, that means 2006, chronicles and characters that SEGA wouldn't allow due to some dumb mandate can be used (looking at you Eggman NEGA).

Unless sega says no, which is why I don't believe them

3 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Because Ruby is there.

I don't think they'll use Chronicles stuff. If they do, He Who Must Not Be Named will Lara-Sue them again.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 7

So was Ken Penders burned?

Just now, The Tenth Doctor said:

I don't think they'll use Chronicles stuff. If they do, He Who Must Not Be Named will Lara-Sue them again.

They could probably change Shade' s character drastically.

I dunno. Maybe with more freedom and less baggage Ian can actually make it feel the way I want it to. Like a really fun, new, fresh, awesome start that can just go along with smooth sailing ahead.

The old comics, while impressive that they started so long ago, really did get bogged down by the changing times. The series's new identity with Sonic Adventure and the advancement of the TV Shows that made the SatAM characters feel a bit... well, to me they felt redundant. Like they were on life-support or something. Then there was all the stuff left over by all the changing writers, the weirdness behind what Ken Penders left behind for Ian to write around ... all of this was present before the Penders-Apocalypse happened and made things even weirder.

So we'll see. I'm still excited. Definitely. More Sonic comics is more Sonic comics. I'm really antsy though.

3 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Its entirely possible considering how they treated the Archie comic fanbase before by not breaking the news until half a year in.

1 minute ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

I doubt Ian is going to go crazy with his mandate free powers but it'll give him more freedom to reference past stories with out changing material, like silhouetting classic eggman in the background or making classic sonic have green eyes. 

35 minutes ago, A Zombie KING heavy engine said:

Did anybody ask about sonic megadrive?

Kinda. Sounds like it's pretty much dead. 

I believe the comic will take the best out of the recent releases, the most popular ones I mean, so inspiration from Worlds Collide (which was game centric), Champions (same) and of course Sonic: Mega Drive but with the Modern cast.

They keep[ talking about having Transformers level freedom and that pleases me. The just told Ian "Do what you want from a Sonic Comic"" so I'm greatly excited.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 2
  • Nice Smile 2