Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Some predictions:

At some point Tails will fall to the Zombot virus. That will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for Sonic and he will go full zombot.

Starline will take over as the main villain of the series after this arc.

Chaos Emeralds will be the mcguffin that stops the virus. 

Maybe Eggman becomes Mr Tinker again and helps save the day?

What are the chances of seeing Zombot merch in the SEGA store later on when this arc has wrapped up? We've already had Tangle on shirts and a pin set with her and Whisper. I would love to see a Zombot Sonic keychain, if possible.

Spoiler

This comics effort to make me feel sad is losing its effect with it feeling like people are getting turn in to zombies just for emotional effect why isn't anyone thinking about the master emerald when it save the day many times. Amy looking so worried feels outlandish when she sees Eggman stuff animals in to the hearts of robots daily.

14 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

@Fire-N-Space, I would like to apologize for you getting ganged up on there as it doesn't seem like anyone realized your initial post on this issue was in response to the conversation stemmed off from my complaints as an Amy fan. On the topic of your comment though, no, Amy is not a wet blanket as she is not ruining things for anyone. Conversely, Amy is almost a non entity in this volume. She is there almost entirely just to tell Sonic information and point him to the next plot thread.

Don't apologize you were not in the wrong. Wet blanket may not be the word I'm looking for but I was quite disappointed by what I saw.

The Master Emerald has saved the day approximately 0 times.

The one time it was ever used for such a thing, it didn't even matter.

The solicits do mention  there is only one safe spot left, so I can assume they mean Angel Island given its the only place currently unaffected by all of this. 

44 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The Master Emerald saved the day in Sonic Adventure 1,  2  and Heroes. 

Triple Question Marks at that response.

image.png.8555eeca04be1510644bd05ad5b8a6c2.png

The Master Emerald didn't save the day in either of those games.

The Master Emerald was unused/ignored entirely in Sonic Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Just now, StaticMania said:

Triple Question Marks at that response.

image.png.8555eeca04be1510644bd05ad5b8a6c2.png

The Master Emerald didn't save the day in either of those games.

The Master Emerald was unused/ignored entirely in Sonic Heroes.

The Master Emerald is a stronger chaos emerald which help save the day. 

5 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

The Master Emerald is a stronger chaos emerald which help save the day. 

It can. But it hasn’t.

SA1, it had no involvement in the final story.

SA2, it was used, then immediately cancelled out by the biolizard.

The Emerald didn’t appear at all in Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 2

If people are doing predictions, I guess I can say something in that regard in a follow up post.

10 hours ago, StaticMania said:

The only games immediately coming to mind on the Master Emerald would be Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Advance 3. Not sure about Battle, Chronicles, or any of the Game Gear era stuff.

Which only means it would be a pretty nice thing to include in the resolution here.

I finally got around to reading 24...

...Best issue, bar none.

First things first, before jumping into spoilers, ABT has become my favourite artist in this series from this issue alone. His art just elevated everything to such a high level, his manga like art style allowing for more serious expression work, his use of colour and shading to show off different shots, and make gut punch moments hit even harder.

The story is just the best the series has had so far IMO. This reminded me a lot more of that darkest hour arc Ian tried to do in Archie where Naugus gains control of New Mobotropolis, Eggman successfully roboticises Sally, Bunnie loses her cybernetics, and Ant ended up in a coma stopping Metal Sonic from killing Elias, and Nicole being despised by everyone thanks to Naugus successfully manipulating Mina into making hate propaganda against her.

Spoiler

First, the big one - Tangle turning broke me, Tangle and Whisper did a good job of establishing them even with the lackluster ending. I still wasn’t a massive fan of Tangle, but something here just pushed her higher up, her constant enthusiasm despite being infected, her sacrifice to let everyone else escape, her last stand, that heartbreaking hug with Sonic where she lets her positive mask slip and lets out a few tears, it’s everything I wanted from the original characters in IDW, and I’m so happy to have gotten it.

The art just does so much more to make the story really stand out. Tangle’s last stand against the zombots was absolutely beautiful, the use of colours shifting more and more as the infection takes hold, Tangle’s desperate attempts to keep in control of herself for a moment longer. The shot where she finally turns, and the scene darkens to empathise her new form, and then the moment her boastful pose a moment prior just...drops into another zombot amongst the crowd, it legitimately is one of my favourite moments in any Sonic comic, Archie included. I wish something like this was done when Shadow was turned.

I love the idea of it, that one of our main characters of the comic not only turns but isn’t used for a massive cliffhanger. They just...drop, and become one with the hive mind, something about that to me makes it so much sadder than when you make a big show of it like with Shadow, only for to just end up with nothing but a meh fight, and Shadow looking stupid.

I feel like this shows the alternative timeline where Shadow actually got to be infected as Ian intended, where he took off his inhibitor rings in an attempt to rescue everyone. Tangle just shows how much of a difference a last stand, and a genuine good reason for getting infected makes things effectively hit. I couldn’t care less when Shadow was infected, despite a stronger connection to him, yet Tangle broke my heart when she was infected, even though she was nowhere near my list of favourites beforehand.

I also like how it shows the individual personalities. There was a debate about Amy here about her not being optimistic enough, and reading the story, I was just thinking how I just don’t agree with the complaint. The whole point of the issue is showing everyone else at their lowest point after showing Sonic at his lowest last issue.

You have Espio losing his usually calm and collected demeanour as he shifts from blaming himself for being stupid enough to let Vector take Charmy into Resistance HQ, before quickly calling Sonic out for letting Eggman have a second chance. I really liked seeing Sonic point out what a lot of people have argued in his favour before - that Sonic believes in second chances and hates the idea of just outright killing somebody for past actions, and I liked how Tangle even tied into it by telling Sonic that it isn’t his fault Starline brought Eggman back worse than ever.

Cream was just heartbreaking to see, since this is the first time I can recall we’ve ever seen her like this, emotionally closed off and trying to hide her feelings. 

I liked how Tails tried his best to keep positive, to fail and fall apart, needing Amy to step in and help him get a grip. Whisper was the same, her desperate need to help Tangle, and having to be held back, only to be comforted on the flight out as Tangle turns was one of the biggest tearjerkers of the series, thanks in no part to Tangle and Whisper.

Amy is obviously the main point here. She’s seen literally nearly the entire world fall while she was in charge, she saw close friends infected to let them keep going, and lets keep in mind that the last four issues happened in one day, meaning Amy is reeling from - in her best attempts at leadership - Tails losing their cure, and his lab, Resistance HQ falling, and everyone being infected, including Vector and Vanilla, Sonic losing Tails’ analysis device due to Eggman, and now Tangle’s town falling, with Tangle herself, and that’s on top of EVERYTHING ELSE that’s happened in this arc.

What’s worse is that Amy still hasn’t lost all of her optimism, she’s keeping enough of a steady head to be able to snap everyone else out of their problems and get their head in the game, she’s doing her best with the hand she’s dealt, but she’s suffering from tons of failures, which we already saw was getting to her right before Resistance HQ fell, the art even shows that everyone is utterly exhausted, including Amy. That’s not even mentioning the fact that the survivors have NO supplies now, Tails can’t make any inventions or equipment, all they have is their ship and that’s it.

She’s not going to be perky, optimistic and utterly love stuck with Sonic in what must be the most dire situation they’ve ever been in. Frankly, all things considered, I think she’s being written really well as someone who is suffering from defeat after defeat, setback after setback, and yet still has to keep a courageous face of leadership in order to ensure the remaining survivors work effectively together without being hindered by their exhaustion and hopelessness.

• Thumbs Up 4

So I was looking at the solicits of the three revealed upcoming issues thus far and I honestly forgot about this tidbit:

Spoiler

With everyone exhausted as the world falls, will they be able to stand up to Chaos Emerald-powered bad guys and zombots?!

5 hours ago, Panda Claus said:

It can. But it hasn’t.

SA1, it had no involvement in the final story.

SA2, it was used, then immediately cancelled out by the biolizard.

The Emerald didn’t appear at all in Heroes.

I know what these games do I played all three. I'm asking why does no one think about the master emerald in this comic.  

So I made a status about this earlier last night, but since more people are accurate during the day, I thought I'd post it here too. So since the comic is about to hit its first milestone next month, I suppose this is a good time to ask everyone on their current feelings towards it; Things that you like, things you think can be improved. hopes for the future of it. etc etc.

8 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I know what these games do I played all three. I'm asking why does no one think about the master emerald in this comic.  

Being fair, Sonic and co would worry more about ensuring they can save as many people as possible before trying to track down the Master Emerald.

I’ve got a prediction that the survivors will head to Angel Island as their only salvation, only for a reveal that it was actually one of the first targets hit by the Zombot virus. It feels too off to me that Eggman wouldn’t hit it first, especially since Metal Sonic had just tried to take it over in Eggman’s name. Eggman’s way too petty to just let such a thing lie, and I have my doubts that he would leave the emerald lying so long when he could easily steal it now. Knuckles can’t exactly fight a virus.

We also know that Eggman likely has gathered the Chaos Emeralds because one of the solicits states that the D6 controlled Zombots will be powered up with the emeralds. The D6 would have no knowledge of them, so it has to be Eggman or Starline.

My guess is that we’ll see one of two things - either Knuckles is just barely surviving on Angel Island, and when Sonic appears, Knuckles needs to use tricks and traps to fight since using his fists would lead straight to him being infected, or we’ll get a reveal where Knuckles has already been turned, and Eggman, or the D6 were holding onto him as a special weapon, leading us to a Sonic VS Zombot Knuckles fight.

13 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Probably because the games doesn't for better or worse.

3 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

So I made a status about this earlier last night, but since more people are accurate during the day, I thought I'd post it here too. So since the comic is about to hit its first milestone next month, I suppose this is a good time to ask everyone on their current feelings towards it; Things that you like, things you think can be improved. hopes for the future of it. etc etc.

What for the comic in general?

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

We also know that Eggman likely has gathered the Chaos Emeralds because one of the solicits states that the D6 controlled Zombots will be powered up with the emeralds. The D6 would have no knowledge of them, so it has to be Eggman or Starline.

Starline had already collected the Emerald's by the time he sent Rough & Tumble to get Mr. Tinker and then Eggman placed them in his throne.

Which makes a little more sense now that I think about it.

11 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

The Master Emerald saved the day in Sonic Adventure 1,  2  and Heroes. 

No. In Adventure 1 Knuckles had to collect it's pieces but it did fuck all to actually stop Chaos. In SA2 I guess technically it did stop the Chaos Emeralds from charging the Eclipse Cannon but then the Bio Lizard merged with the Ark and Super Sonic and Shadow beat him. It's nowhere to be seen in Heroes and is only referenced by Rouge. 

So onto predicting the apparent finale of this story army and previously mentioned concerns about the Deadly Six:

Spoiler

I have been a bit worried that the Zeti were just gonna be the last minute RPG final bosses of this arc and thus not really have their first real appearance together [that's for keeps] actually be about them. That they're just a convenient formality at the end of the day and quite possibly won't be sticking around for a satisfactory amount of play, while Sonic presumably teams up with Eggman & Starline to find a cure that'll rain on their parade by happenstance. Now I honestly forgot that a chunk of the previous two solicits we've gotten confirmed this, but the concern was still there.

Looking at the most recent solicit though, as well as the previous two, seems to suggests that they will be getting at least some decent amount of use as this arc wraps up, though it may still be kinda short. The next issue is actually a stand alone story-title of the heroes setting up a last refuge that'll probably be Angel Island before heading into the final battle, so it'll probably have some time given to following up on the Deadly Six arriving on the Faceship and interacting with both Doctors as there is a change in management. Especially given that it is not only a milestone, but an extra lengthy one at that.

So moving into the finale itself,

Spoiler

the Zeti will have taken some power from Eggman's throne and use that to boost their electromagnetic control of the mutated Zombots so that they may turn the remaining survivors before ravaging what's left of their world, as Master Zik & Zavok previously intended. Eggman & maybe Starline will likely flee to avoid that fate amongs wherever else they have in mind and will cross paths with Sonic in a bid to try cleaning up the mess Starline wrought while levying the fact that this is both of their faults and thus they have to wary of fatal distraction or betrayal between each other. Much of the Restoration, possibly including Knuckles(if they do come straight to Angel Island) will stand against the Zombots lead by the Chaos-powered Deadly Six in another fight to take back their world.

While this is happening, Amy, Tails, Cream, and Gemerl will actually take the fight to the Faceship and/or wherever the Zeti stations it to try to disable the Emerald Throne and possily manufacture a cure at the source. Unfortunately, they will encounter the Filler Two(perhaps with Vanilla in tow if they really wanna fuck with them for some reason) either standing guard or simply having been dispatched upon noticing them sneaking away and have to put up a fight. Perhaps in a move to make them actually vicious, Zeena will set her sights on the jaded Cream as an easy target and move to take her out of the fight. This sets off Gemerl and finally break Amy, causing the three to do all they can to defeat her and Zomom at the cost of losing their chance to disable the throne as well as potentially making the issue worse as they lose Cream and perhaps Gemerl to the Deadly Six's control. Meanwhile, Sonic, Eggman, and Rouge work through everything they have avaiable to stop the Zombots, likely dealing with what become of Silver and losing at least one of their party in process.

On the other end of things, the rest of the Restoration under Lanolin or the returned Commander Knuckles will be slowly losing the fight as the other four Zeti, Tangle, Charmy, and Vector move to increase their forces. An absolutely livid Whisper will be using her Wisps ruthlessly in an attempt to take out the Zeti(and I guess Starline if he didn't leave with Eggman and/or lose control by this point) as Master Zik and/or Zor prey upon her losing everything and how it's made her lose her finesse. It is when most of their forces, including Knuckles himself, are as good as goo that Sonic  returns with a solution to turn the tide of the battle. He uses this solution, which could indeed by the Chaos Emeralds, to cure most of the Zombots, including Shadow, Tangle, the Chaotix, and the Rabbit Family. The Zeti are either kicked off the Island, imprisoned by their enemies, or perhaps even become Zombots themselves if they aren't immune,  Eggman & Starline likely get their asses kicked at some point throughout the climax, and while the Restoration, Chaotix, and Team Dark are glad to have eradicated the virus, things are not quite at peace among them as some will probably never be the same again.

Or something of that ilk. 🤢
Click and drag to move

The master emerald Is a thing it felt like they wanted to do something with a long time ago. But decided against doing so and all the people who cared to do something with it no longer work at sega. But its just ...kinda around if they need an excuse for knuckles go a place. But then they stopped caring about that even.

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So onto predicting the apparent finale of this story army and previously mentioned concerns about the Deadly Six:

Hide contents

I have been a bit worried that the Zeti were just gonna be the last minute RPG final bosses of this arc and thus not really have their first real appearance together [that's for keeps] actually be about them. That they're just a convenient formality at the end of the day and quite possibly won't be sticking around for a satisfactory amount of play, while Sonic presumably teams up with Eggman & Starline to find a cure that'll rain on their parade by happenstance. Now I honestly forgot that a chunk of the previous two solicits we've gotten confirmed this, but the concern was still there.

Looking at the most recent solicit though, as well as the previous two, seems to suggests that they will be getting at least some decent amount of use as this arc wraps up, though it may still be kinda short. The next issue is actually a stand alone story-title of the heroes setting up a last refuge that'll probably be Angel Island before heading into the final battle, so it'll probably have some time given to following up on the Deadly Six arriving on the Faceship and interacting with both Doctors as there is a change in management. Especially given that it is not only a milestone, but an extra lengthy one at that.

So moving into the finale itself,

Hide contents

the Zeti will have taken some power from Eggman's throne and use that to boost their electromagnetic control of the mutated Zombots so that they may turn the remaining survivors before ravaging what's left of their world, as Master Zik & Zavok previously intended. Eggman & maybe Starline will likely flee to avoid that fate amongs wherever else they have in mind and will cross paths with Sonic in a bid to try cleaning up the mess Starline wrought while levying the fact that this is both of their faults and thus they have to wary of fatal distraction or betrayal between each other. Much of the Restoration, possibly including Knuckles(if they do come straight to Angel Island) will stand against the Zombots lead by the Chaos-powered Deadly Six in another fight to take back their world.

While this is happening, Amy, Tails, Cream, and Gemerl will actually take the fight to the Faceship and/or wherever the Zeti stations it to try to disable the Emerald Throne and possily manufacture a cure at the source. Unfortunately, they will encounter the Filler Two(perhaps with Vanilla in tow if they really wanna fuck with them for some reason) either standing guard or simply having been dispatched upon noticing them sneaking away and have to put up a fight. Perhaps in a move to make them actually vicious, Zeena will set her sights on the jaded Cream as an easy target and move to take her out of the fight. This sets off Gemerl and finally break Amy, causing the three to do all they can to defeat her and Zomom at the cost of losing their chance to disable the throne as well as potentially making the issue worse as they lose Cream and perhaps Gemerl to the Deadly Six's control. Meanwhile, Sonic, Eggman, and Rouge work through everything they have avaiable to stop the Zombots, likely dealing with what become of Silver and losing at least one of their party in process.

On the other end of things, the rest of the Restoration under Lanolin or the returned Commander Knuckles will be slowly losing the fight as the other four Zeti, Tangle, Charmy, and Vector move to increase their forces. An absolutely livid Whisper will be using her Wisps ruthlessly in an attempt to take out the Zeti(and I guess Starline if he didn't leave with Eggman and/or lose control by this point) as Master Zik and/or Zor prey upon her losing everything and how it's made her lose her finesse. It is when most of their forces, including Knuckles himself, are as good as goo that Sonic  returns with a solution to turn the tide of the battle. He uses this solution, which could indeed by the Chaos Emeralds, to cure most of the Zombots, including Shadow, Tangle, the Chaotix, and the Rabbit Family. The Zeti are either kicked off the Island, imprisoned by their enemies, or perhaps even become Zombots themselves if they aren't immune,  Eggman & Starline likely get their asses kicked at some point throughout the climax, and while the Restoration, Chaotix, and Team Dark are glad to have eradicated the virus, things are not quite at peace among them as some will probably never be the same again.

Or something of that ilk. 🤢
Click and drag to move

This is a reasonable response.

Comedic predition

Spoiler

Zavok: " Yo we the zeti, we did it. We vibing. We got all the zombots we got the chaos emeralds , nothing can stop us we have shown that we are the true conquerors of this planet and probably the universe"

Zena:" Hey what's that over there, its pink and angry and kinda looks like sonic "

Zavok: " I dunno but its a zombot, Yo there, you will obey my-"

*Slaps zavok*

Breaks into where the last of the resistince is and Eggman due to the zeti taking over is now also in danger and helping

Zeti: " HELP!"

Sonic: " Like...what, what?!"

Zavok: " There's an angry looking zombot he wont listen and he hit me "

Sonic: " was he pink? "

Zena:" yeah"

Sonic: "Huh, to angry to die or completely get mind controlled, the situation is dire but its workable. You are going to have to help us get this cure going so we can stop him now he's a threat to you too. "

Eggman:" is there any information you can give us on how he was different than the other zombots , any changes in their behavior in general as of late"

"Well we powered them up with chaos emeralds. I know most people cann't use em but we figured it would give them a buff or something. Is that a thing pink one?"

Everyone: " ..."

Zavok: What's the matter why do you all look like -

*Chaos blast blows through the door the zeti just entered in to the musical key of*

I found the scrip, totally real didn't make it up. mhm

So turns out Jewel is actually a year older than Tangle.

Also, is this real?

image.jpeg.a50b15ecaa606497511cd48e957de1c9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

The master emerald Is a thing it felt like they wanted to do something with a long time ago. But decided against doing so and all the people who cared to do something with it no longer work at sega. But its just ...kinda around if they need an excuse for knuckles go a place. But then they stopped caring about that even.

This is a reasonable response.

Comedic predition

Hide contents

Zavok: " Yo we the zeti, we did it. We vibing. We got all the zombots we got the chaos emeralds , nothing can stop us we have shown that we are the true conquerors of this planet and probably the universe"

Zena:" Hey what's that over there, its pink and angry and kinda looks like sonic "

Zavok: " I dunno but its a zombot, Yo there, you will obey my-"

*Slaps zavok*

Breaks into where the last of the resistince is and Eggman due to the zeti taking over is now also in danger and helping

Zeti: " HELP!"

Sonic: " Like...what, what?!"

Zavok: " There's an angry looking zombot he wont listen and he hit me "

Sonic: " was he pink? "

Zena:" yeah"

Sonic: "Huh, to angry to die or completely get mind controlled, the situation is dire but its workable. You are going to have to help us get this cure going so we can stop him now he's a threat to you too. "

Eggman:" is there any information you can give us on how he was different than the other zombots , any changes in their behavior in general as of late"

"Well we powered them up with chaos emeralds. I know most people cann't use em but we figured it would give them a buff or something. Is that a thing pink one?"

Everyone: " ..."

Zavok: What's the matter why do you all look like -

*Chaos blast blows through the door the zeti just entered in to the musical key of*

I found the scrip, totally real didn't make it up. mhm

I read this in Patrick Seitz's voice and it works so well. :lol:

8 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Being fair, Sonic and co would worry more about ensuring they can save as many people as possible before trying to track down the Master Emerald.I’ve got a prediction that

Spoiler

the survivors will head to Angel Island as their only salvation, only for a reveal that it was actually one of the first targets hit by the Zombot virus. It feels too off to me that Eggman wouldn’t hit it first, especially since Metal Sonic had just tried to take it over in Eggman’s name. Eggman’s way too petty to just let such a thing lie, and I have my doubts that he would leave the emerald lying so long when he could easily steal it now. Knuckles can’t exactly fight a virus.

My guess is that we’ll see one of two things - either Knuckles is just barely surviving on Angel Island, and when Sonic appears, Knuckles needs to use tricks and traps to fight since using his fists would lead straight to him being infected, or we’ll get a reveal where Knuckles has already been turned, and Eggman, or the D6 were holding onto him as a special weapon, leading us to a Sonic VS Zombot Knuckles fight.

Mm, I would think him having it would've at least been hinted previously.

9 hours ago, Kuzu said:

My opinion hasn't changed. Zombie thing is dragging on way too long and isn't interesting. It's overly melodramatic to compensate for how boring and repetitive it is. What few decent emotional moments this arc does have are undermined by the fact that it keeps getting repeated in like, every issue. None of it has any real impact. 

The writing in general feels subpar for Ian, filled with awkward syntax and really, really hamfisted references. Yeah, a cute nod to the fans here and there is nice. This shit ain't.

Image result for idw sonic 23 open your heart

Like, I know I keep harping on this point in particular, but really, it's the perfect encapsulation of why this comic doesn't work for me. Just cheap references and shock value to disguise how shallow and boring it is. Makes for good "I KNOW WHAT THAT IS" reddit posts and tweets though.

Going forward they need to just not do "Seasons" anymore. I know that's probably out of Ian's hands, but they really need to consider doing episodic, character-driven stories for a while, like what Archie was finally going to do before it got cancelled. If you need to write for the trades, do smaller, more focused stories that interconnect. 

I keep getting annoyed with this because IDW was a chance to start fresh, free from the shackles of the old nonsense. No Genesis Waves or backstory dumps. But all it seems to have done is throw out the good bits of Archie while still retaining the weaker aspects. Boring melodrama, fanservice as a crutch, and story arcs that just go on and on and on.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Kuzu said:

It's fine. The writing is a little clunky and overall it's a bit on the shallow side so it's not going to be what those who want more substance from this series are looking for but I'm enjoying it for what it is. The dialogue is snappy, energetic and funny without being too overbearing or self aware. Makes it a pleasant read even when some parts of the overarching story don't hold up. The art is also fantastic. It felt like after that first couple of issues everyone is firing on all cylinders all the time. It's just doing a good job at being a pleasant read at the moment and that's all they're going for. 

When the book tries to raise the stakes a bit is when things become a little more hit or miss. The book just kind of turned into noise when Neo Metal Sonic took over angel island and I have trouble taking the debate re: whether or not Eggman should be permanently dealt with seriously because it's obvious he's not going to be. I'm sure younger readers might be able to get into it but I personally check out every time it happens. To contrast that though other things like Whisper's backstory or Tangle's last stand are handled with a good amount of grace and tact.

Most of the weaker issues from the series have always been conclusions to the story arc so I'd guess the big thing I'd like for the crew to change is to find out what the point of the story they're telling is before they start putting it to paper. Something more significant than just making sure we see every character(the first arc) and putting them through the wringer(the second). It's more interesting to watch characters change from their experiences than to just have some things happen before returning to the status quo. That's probably pretty difficult when you're ultimately borrowing someone else's IP though so I'm choosing not to hold it against the book. They're doing a good job and ultimately there's other things I can read if I want something with some more punch. 

Overall I'm just happy people who really care about doing these characters right are still working with them

I'm enjoying the series so far now that it's on all cylinders and doing more than the general stuff you'd expect. 23 and 24 especially have been amping up what we've been getting, which is really nice, and Tangle and Whisper was a fantastic miniseries that really endeared the duo.

Right now, what I really want to see is just Ian taking Year 3 to have a break and let us unpack and unwind things. I know people didn't love them much before, but I wouldn't mind getting some four-issue Universe styled stories with Sonic and a character teaming up to deal with a smaller themed adventure, like Tangle and Whisper. Give us a Sonic/Tails adventuring story, or maybe even Sonic and Rouge teaming up to deal with a known GUN criminal, but Rouge is trying to also manipulate Sonic into helping her pull off a jewel caper or something, just give us a few fun stories with some fun team ups for a little bit before jumping into the next big thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Heckboy said:

Image result for idw sonic 23 open your heart

Like, I know I keep harping on this point in particular, but really, it's the perfect encapsulation of why this comic doesn't work for me. Just cheap references and shock value to disguise how shallow and boring it is. Makes for good "I KNOW WHAT THAT IS" reddit posts and tweets though.

I can agree with a lot of these points, but that's a super cynical take on cheap fun references. A series, especially a long running one, gets to reference itself every now and then. It's not a distraction, it's an easter egg and should be treated like such. It'd be like me saying the Sanic T-Shirt was supposed to distract from Forces' gameplay. 

They don't annoy me that much on their own but that example with Sonic and Eggman comes in the middle of what's otherwise a pretty serious issue where the arc is starting to come to a head. For a reference that so on the nose that's just a bad place to put it.