Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I'm sure it's been said before, but after the zombot arc, I wouldn't mind some more simpler and lighter stories. Something like some smaller scale One Piece-esque adventures. Not like Archie Sonic's Shattered World Crisis, but more like the Post-#50 stories where Sonic and Tails went around the world. Considering the premise that the IDW comic series gives itself, it sounds very in line with what they sell themselves on.

As a bonus, it doesn't need to have an underlying plot following them like the first four issues, but rather have the next story arc planned out with bits and pieces leading into it sprinkled across the story. Maybe a village is implementing a new idea that'll help them thrive and Sonic supports it, but it later on (and I mean several issues ahead) becomes a big problem when some villain comes along and uses it for their own evil needs, driving Sonic back to the village.

• Thumbs Up 2

So coming off Bumblekast #104,

• Rough & Tumble will return eventually and we will learn what happened to the latter's tail and maybe their basic history at some point, but they are less likely to get something like a miniseries due to not being conceived as more than in-between baddies and being less accepted compared to the others.
  • SEGA is less keen about certain types of animals being made into characters, namely insects and larger beasts like elephants; when reminded that they approved Jewel, they simply replied that they did. 
    • Jewel is therefore a special case.
    • One of the Diamond Cutters was originally an insect, but got rejected.
  • Assumed there'd be some pushback on the Variable Wispon and Warp Topaz(which he avoided going into), but was surprised with how cool they were to them in to the point of adding ideas for the former.
  • Would like to do something more with the Wisps at some point and acknowledged how odd it is that something as pivotal as the Mother Wisp is reserved for the DS version.
  • Doesn't pitch overall story ideas until the previous is in their final approvals, so what comes next isn't necessarily set in stone all the time.
  • Apparently went into Maw's powers in the previous episodes.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

47 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Warp Topaz(which he avoided going into)

Hmm, perhaps he wasn't expecting them to be cool with a new magic rock in general, or maybe the reality warping part? He might be alluding to something we don't know about it too but I could see it being one or both of those.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Can someone tell me what the appeal Sega has with the wisps so hard.

They were in a game that got a good critical reception.

6 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Hmm, perhaps he wasn't expecting them to be cool with a new magic rock in general, or maybe the reality warping part? He might be alluding to something we don't know about it too but I could see it being one or both of those.

It's the latter, in one of his "Not to put too fine a point on it" statements. 

51 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Not sure what the relevance is here, but what Natie said. 

If Sega was that enthusiastic about the Warp Topaz, I wonder how they’d feel about using an entire spectrum of super-powered gems.

Sounds like they want to make their own caste of “Infinity Stones.” Like what’s next, Quantum Diamonds or Sapphires?

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

If Sega was that enthusiastic about the Warp Topaz, I wonder how they’d feel about using an entire spectrum of super-powered gems.

Sounds like they want to make their own caste of “Infinity Stones.” Like what’s next, Quantum Diamonds or Sapphires?

I don't think they care too much. And are just interested in new possibilities. Or to be more accurate I think they stopped caring about the chaos emeralds in particular. The chaos emeralds and the master emeralds used to be the kind of end all be all in sonic lore, they were described as literally magic wish granting gems. Nowadays they don't do much besides " oh hey super character ". They aren't relevant to narrative, this wish to move on and explore other narrative and gameplay opportunities. And maybe they find it freeing. I can totally see them up to explore new avenues because of this. 

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So coming off Bumblekast #104,

• Rough & Tumble will return eventually and we will learn what happened to the latter's tail and maybe their basic history at some point, but they are less likely to get something like a miniseries due to not being conceived as more than in-between baddies and being less accepted compared to the others.

Damn am I the only one who likes rough and tumble

• SEGA is less keen about certain types of animals being made into characters, namely insects and larger beasts like elephants; when reminded that they approved Jewel, they simply replied that they did. 
    • Jewel is therefore a special case.
    • One of the Diamond Cutters was originally an insect, but got rejected.

That's funny.

" Oh we approved that, whoops "

• Would like to do something more with the Wisps at some point and acknowledged how odd it is that something as pivotal as the Mother Wisp is reserved for the DS version

I would be personally interested to know if there are " wisp " rules.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

They aren't relevant to narrative, this wish to move on and explore other narrative and gameplay opportunities. And maybe they find it freeing. I can totally see them up to explore new avenues because of this. 

Mm...true.

Damn am I the only one who likes rough and tumble

No, I do too. Hell, they were one of the things I was kinda excited about going cited about going in.

That's funny.

" Oh we approved that, whoops "

I think it's more like they let that one slide because she takes after Cream & Charmy in addition to apparently being designed to assist Tangle.

I would be personally interested to know if there are " wisp " rules.

Oh, I didn't know you could restrict leaves.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

• Assumed there'd be some pushback on the Variable Wispon and Warp Topaz(which he avoided going into), but was surprised with how cool they were to them in to the point of adding ideas for the former.

Best guess is that it's the reality warping powers making it similar to the Phantom Ruby or possibly even just the fact it's a brand new magic stone not created by Sega. I can see how he maybe wasn't sure it'd have been approved. 

13 hours ago, Meta77 said:

...well, they cute gameplay thing, why wouldn't they

WAIT! I CRACKED IT!

Sonic 1 had adorable small animals

Sonic Adventure 1 introduced lovable chao.

Sonic Colors presented cute wisps.

It's a pattern: every time new "era" of Sonic is about to start, new cutesy specie will be introduced.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

...well, they cute gameplay thing, why wouldn't they

WAIT! I CRACKED IT!

Sonic 1 had adorable small animals

Sonic Adventure 1 introduced lovable chao.

Sonic Colors presented cute wisps.

It's a pattern: every time new "era" of Sonic is about to start, new cutesy specie will be introduced.

Funnily enough, around the time Lost World was on the way, I remember taking note of the various Wisp powers in conjunction with each of the Mobini.

That ain't got shit to do with this, I just thought I should mention it.

Yea but at least the choa were a addition that extended games life.  Wisp dine really ads my h outside the announcer screaming their name

37 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Yea but at least the choa were a addition that extended games life.  Wisp dine really ads my h outside the announcer screaming their name

I think that also has to do with them originally just being something unique for Colors.

They were both what Sonic & Tails were saving from Eggman in the story and something that added a variable extra feature to the Boost gameplay. And in both senses, once the particular level and then adventure was over, they were supposed to go back to doing their own thing elsewhere while the heroes kept on running.

It's just that Sonic Team, in one of their moves to continue improving the franchise to the public's liking, decided to integrate them as mainstay powerups without thoroughly considering how to do that and if it was even natural/necessary. There was minimal to no context given for their return in-universe and there was no extra mode focused solely on interacting them from the get go because of the inherent limitations of the Wii & DS considering how extensive the Boost formula's level design has to be. 

There's also the matter of the Virtual Pet craze specifically having come & gone. Which was probably for the best considering the reception new villains tend to get.

Damn sorry for my spelling i was in a meeting and that is no where near what I meant haha I mean you got my point just damn

54 minutes ago, lulzers said:

What if the next big original villain after Dr. Starline is a Devil-type character? With godlike power and who torments Sonic and his friends just for his own amusement? Not to mention he has a appearance modeled after occult figures like Baphomet?

Baphomet.png

Already exists and all he cares about is about destroying Sonic and Eggman, and everyone else 😛

latest?cb=20191203133732

BUMBLEKAST UPDATE:

Ian Flynn removed Blaze from the original Metal Virus pre-production because her powers would kill the zombots (and the victims themselves).

I again would prefer we get rid of Silver and Blaze because her appearance in arc 1 is rendered pointless now!

2 hours ago, lulzers said:

What if the next big original villain after Dr. Starline is a Devil-type character? With godlike power and who torments Sonic and his friends just for his own amusement? Not to mention he has a appearance modeled after occult figures like Baphomet?

Baphomet.png

Huh. Might be something for the games to do or at least a potential arc down the road.

Might wanna spoiler all that, though.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Already exists and all he cares about is about destroying Sonic and Eggman, and everyone else 😛

latest?cb=20191203133732

Okay, that's funny.

Still, he's more of a stern warrior with wounded pride.

59 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

BUMBLEKAST UPDATE:

Ian Flynn removed Blaze from the original Metal Virus pre-production because her powers would kill the zombots (and the victims themselves).

I again would prefer we get rid of Silver and Blaze because her appearance in arc 1 is rendered pointless now!

Thought that was fairly logical.

Why Silver?

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Huh. Might be something for the games to do or at least a potential arc down the road.

Might wanna spoiler all that, though.

Okay, that's funny.

Thought that was fairly logical.

Why Silver?

He is from the future but comes everytime, it would be nice to have "smaller" stories not world-ending stories everytime

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

He is from the future but comes everytime, it would be nice to have "smaller" stories not world-ending stories everytime

I agree with the latter, though Silver was already here because there was a cataclysmic event going on.

4 minutes ago, lulzers said:

This. A Satanic archetype would be more like a slimy, manipulative figure that prefers to attack his foes on a psychological level. Not to mention he would be an extensive magic user to contrast to Eggman's use of robots.

...I mean, some of that applies to Zavok too, but not as much.

2 minutes ago, lulzers said:

True. The character I described would take those traits and amplify them up to eleven.

Not to mention his schemes would be on a more personal level compared to the more grandiose plans of Zavok and Eggman.

What about Mimic? This guy is very evil and manipulative

39 minutes ago, lulzers said:

This. A Satanic archetype would be more like a slimy, manipulative figure that prefers to attack his foes on a psychological level. Not to mention he would be an extensive magic user to contrast to Eggman's use of robots.

So Mephiles basically.