Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Especially when you remember SEGA, including Iuzuka himself, loved the concept and added more stuff to it. 

They also changed some stuff too. Like what is too far now? And what if sega doesn't want to go back to something like that. Is that just the weird dark year?I dunno. Its weird

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

They also changed some stuff too. Like what is too far now? And what if sega doesn't want to go back to something like that. Is that just the weird dark year?I dunno. Its weird

Kinda like the last mainline game, it seems like a reset or doscontinuity would be the safest option.

I'm not following, don't be cryptic, are you still talking about the mandates around Sha... I mean, various characters, or something else? I'm hearing baseless rumors that the Warp Topaz is needed for some retcon due to Sega and canon... Not sure if it's true, but the possibility is definitely there.

5 minutes ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

I'm not following, don't be cryptic, are you still talking about the mandates around Sha... I mean, various characters, or something else? I'm hearing baseless rumors that the Warp Topaz is needed for some retcon due to Sega and canon... Not sure if it's true, but the possibility is definitely there.

Nah, I just mean that Forces would be better off not being a direct part of the continuity.

23 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Nah, I just mean that Forces would be better off not being a direct part of the continuity.

I know we don't like the game, but going out of your way to say "that one time Eggman took over the world never happened" just seems weird.

• Fist Bump 1

17 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

I know we don't like the game, but going out of your way to say "that one time Eggman took over the world never happened" just seems weird.

"And killed thousands of Mobians with the help of a psychopath" seems like a good extra to shift off.

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

I mean if the book hadn't been based around forces it really wouldn't need to.

Like i'm sure at this point no part of sonic 06 is canon to anything. As long as you don't bring it up, for the most part no one cares.

3 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

I don't see that in itself a possibility. I was thinking the Warp Topaz plan might open up something similar to the Genesis Portals (which Silver was sealing) during the Archie series in the process of whatever mass cure the heroes are planning. At the very least, I don't see Ian resorting to a sudden retcon unless his back is against the wall and circumstances are just out of his hands, he's not that lazy.

I personally don't mind that Forces is part of the continuity--I don't like it, but I don't see it as that big of a deal. I'd rather the comic scale back its scope and focus on characters and smaller stories for a while just to even out the pacing of the series when this is over.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

"And killed thousands of Mobians with the help of a psychopath" seems like a good extra to shift off.

He killed like 5 onscreen. Everyone else went the same place the citizens of station square went. 

1 minute ago, thumbs13 said:

He killed like 5 onscreen. Everyone else went the same place the citizens of station square went. 

The comics have already expanded on that though. Amy and Sonic have been through battlefields where Amy confirmed that they lost a lot of good people while Sonic was away. It heavily implies a significant death toll.

9 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

Yeah Ian debunked that rumor weeks ago. It was apparantly made by someone who rags on IDW Sonic anyways.

Someone suggested I movie it here

Despite the pacing and how complicated it can get, I am liking the Transformers comic reboot so far. What do you think could happen in the Sonic IDW comics if the reboot took the prequel approach like the Transformers comics.

47 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

Despite the pacing and how complicated it can get, I am liking the Transformers comic reboot so far. What do you think could happen in the Sonic IDW comics if the reboot took the prequel approach like the Transformers comics.

The new "Bold" continuity? I kinda hated it, but that's irrelevant. Sega wouldn't want to explore pre-Sonic1 days and frankly I don't see much stories to be told. For starters Transformers  franchise starts "in medias res" with Optimus already having all his allies and all his enemies.  So prequel how they first meet makes some sense (something that "Bold" TF failed to do). There is no incentive like that with Sonic, since all important meetings happen in first games. You could start from Sonic 1, but even without reading "Genesis" and "Genesis of the Hero" I knew it's bad idea.

Sonic Legacy, and Child of Green Hills fan comics. That's the closest you'll get.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

The new "Bold" continuity? I kinda hated it, but that's irrelevant. Sega wouldn't want to explore pre-Sonic1 days and frankly I don't see much stories to be told. For starters Transformers  franchise starts "in medias res" with Optimus already having all his allies and all his enemies.  So prequel how they first meet makes some sense (something that "Bold" TF failed to do). There is no incentive like that with Sonic, since all important meetings happen in first games. You could start from Sonic 1, but even without reading "Genesis" and "Genesis of the Hero" I knew it's bad idea.

Sonic Legacy, and Child of Green Hills fan comics. That's the closest you'll get.

What i was thinking was a prequel starring the human characters and Robotnik/Eggman is the main character showing how he became evil and how he could start as a scientist working with a team for gun but became evil, think of season 1 of agents of shield meets breaking bad

I actually wouldn't mind that now and then, whenever Sega has weird ideas and changes the canon (they did it various times), they can retcon in-universe stuff with the Warp Topaz. It's so easy, lol, but I also want Ian to bring in useful changes to shake the plot up maybe.

19 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

The basic thing about the Warp Topaz (that I've picked up since I'm unable to buy the book monthly) is its now been established to be able to alter reality so now some people are thinking there will be a cosmic retcon. To the point where some are spouting a conspiracy theory that Sega are going to merge continuities to have a unified one which is...stupid. 

Now personally I'm expecting the next "season" to have some reality warping shenanigans but not like a complete reboot 3 freaking years into the books run.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:17 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

The comics have already expanded on that though. Amy and Sonic have been through battlefields where Amy confirmed that they lost a lot of good people while Sonic was away. It heavily implies a significant death toll.

And there we see the problem with merging Saturday Morning Cartoon Eggman with Cruek Butcher Conqeror Eggman.

3 hours ago, Almar said:

And there we see the problem with merging Saturday Morning Cartoon Eggman with Cruek Butcher Conqeror Eggman.

Aren't they the same? :lol:

So Eggy is a killer. Wow.

Wasn't that clear since Egg Grapes in Archie preboot? Everything he did to echidnas? Blowing up Antoine? Robotization, Legionisation, freezing 
Tassle Boy" in his own body?

Or let me put it simpler: wasn't Flynn's Eggman always psychopath with a lot of comedy to him? And been absolutely praised for that?

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

So Eggy is a killer. Wow.

Wasn't that clear since Egg Grapes in Archie preboot? Everything he did to echidnas? Blowing up Antoine? Robotization, Legionisation, freezing 
Tassle Boy" in his own body?

Or let me put it simpler: wasn't Flynn's Eggman always psychopath with a lot of comedy to him? And been absolutely praised for that?

Yeah but Archie eggy explicitly wasn't game Eggy. He was the american Julian who bodyswapped. Even postboot he was still Satam robotnik with a better design.

The game Eggman has always run on the idea that nobody dies onscreen. And even in Forces Infinite was the one who had all the kills. 

7 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

The game Eggman has always run on the idea that nobody dies onscreen. And even in Forces Infinite was the one who had all the kills. 

Which is all fine and dandy. Firing a nuke into downtown station square is perfectly acceptable because the unspeakable devastation it will cause happens off screen.

Its one thing to hand-wave the lack of casualties due to Chaos flooding a city, or Eggman blowing up the planet to set Dark Gaia free, but lets not act like Game-Eggman doesn't have a body count and/or the ability to rack one up too. Sonic specifically accuses him of plotting Genocide at one point in Lost World. That's not a word you throw around unless you think someone is capable of that kind of bloodshed.

10 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Aren't they the same? :lol:

Not really. The Sonic games before Forces have been careful to not have him do anything that would mean him not being in prison or dead breaks the wall of disbelief too hard. Even in something like SatAM he's not shown racking up a notable bodycount. Hence introducing villains like Chaos or Black Doom who can be killed or otherwise get a final ending that removes them as a threat.

This goes differently in comics but they either have Eggman in a position of power and influence where Sonic can't touch him or lock him up, or even kill him.

35 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Which is all fine and dandy. Firing a nuke into downtown station square is perfectly acceptable because the unspeakable devastation it will cause happens off screen.

Its one thing to hand-wave the lack of casualties due to Chaos flooding a city, or Eggman blowing up the planet to set Dark Gaia free, but lets not act like Game-Eggman doesn't have a body count and/or the ability to rack one up too. Sonic specifically accuses him of plotting Genocide at one point in Lost World. That's not a word you throw around unless you think someone is capable of that kind of bloodshed.

The missile he launched just comically crashed with no big boom. Even made the splatting sound.

The point is that Sega of Japan/Team Naka's Eggman is a Japanese Saturday Morning Cartoon villain ala Team Rocket. Even something like blowing up Prison Island can be waved off as G.U.N. being shown as corrupt so Eggman doesn't become irredeemable by doing so. Trying to reconcile this with how the Big Egg's been established to be in Western interpretations falls apart since there's the obvious problem of how he hasn't been killed or imprisoned yet and how this current arc will end without him getting either.

• Thumbs Up 3

The full extent of Eggman's actions are never fully explored in the games to maintain the lighthearted atmosphere. Even his "serious" portrayals like SA2 never steer that far, and he's comically hammy and over the top.

It's only in the West when he gets portrayed as a genocidal dictator, and he's treated as a far bigger threat. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Almar said:

Not really. The Sonic games before Forces have been careful to not have him do anything that would mean him not being in prison or dead breaks the wall of disbelief too hard. Even in something like SatAM he's not shown racking up a notable bodycount. .

The joke is SatAM stands for Saturday Morning.