Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

The solicitations for May 2020 are out.

Sonic the Hedgehog #29—Cover A: Jack Lawrence

Ian Flynn (w) • Evan Stanley (a) • Jack Lawrence (c)

"All or Nothing," Part Four! This is it! Sonic and the remaining members of the Restoration team-up for their final fight against the ultra powerful Deadly Six. Not only do they have to take on Zavok, but a legion of zombots as well! The thrilling final battle of the Metal Virus Saga!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Sonic the Hedgehog #30—Cover A: Adam Bryce Thomas

Ian Flynn (w) • Adam Bryce Thomas (a & c)

The Metal Virus Saga is over, but that doesn't mean things are back to normal. As the world begins picking up the pieces, who will be missing? What villains will escape? And who will go back on their word?

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Spoiler

Guess it's down to Sonic & Silver to save the day....and wow, we're really going to go the entire arc with Sonic never transforming aren't we...what was even the point?

• Thumbs Up 1

Covers:

0-EA81-EA2-AFCC-496-F-95-CC-1829402-A60-

6-CAD89-CD-540-F-4382-A6-F4-EF98-E89-FB8

(what the fuck...?)

EDIT: I’m just now realising Cubot is supposed to be behind Orbot. Honestly thought he’d shrunk for some reason lmao.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh, so they aren't going to use the Warp Topaz to reverse the damage that the virus caused then.

Sonic looks weird on that cover.. he's shiny, but he doesn't look like the virus is spreading over him. I'm assuming that's just a weird design choice, but maybe Sonic does fully turn but somehow keeps his free will.

Orbot doing "a lassy" as he does in Lost World because why not?

Omega's just a head, and the reference can be done again.

17 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

As the world begins picking up the pieces, who will be missing? What villains will escape? And who will go back on their word?

This part is really interesting. I presume that

Spoiler

some characters - maybe even Sonic and/or Eggman ? - will be sent elsewhere by the "Chaos Wrap combo". I wouldn't be surprised if it was the way to start a story in Blaze's World, or maybe a human world story in order to benefit from the movie not being that far away.

And that Omega+Orbot+Cubot cover is really funny.

So let's see.

12 months  for the first arc, and then 15 months  for the second. And that's not even counting delays. 

Hopefully we have a longer break between arcs this time around; there was only a two issue break between the first and second arcs, and those issues were setup for the following arc. I'd at least prefer if the rest of the year was dedicated smaller scaled conflicts, worldbuilding and characterization. 

Please for the love of god. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I’d want something like what Archie Sonic gave us between the Iron Dominion and Mecha Sally arcs: shorter stories with some world exploration that also drops hints regarding the next major arc.

Also I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: they need to start doing backup stories again.

• Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:
  Hide contents

I'm lost , is the plan they are just gonna like warp to the bad guys and take em on?

Spoiler

Well, take the Deadly 6, all 6, at the same time, so the Zeti can't alert the others or have the others come for backup.

2 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

This part is really interesting. I presume that

Hide contents

some characters - maybe even Sonic and/or Eggman ? - will be sent elsewhere by the "Chaos Wrap combo". I wouldn't be surprised if it was the way to start a story in Blaze's World, or maybe a human world story in order to benefit from the movie not being that far away.

And that Omega+Orbot+Cubot cover is really funny.

I think Eggman might landed on Ponyville what he will find another villiain who will stop Princess Twlight Sparkle and her friends that's makes there might be Sonic x My Little Pony crossover soon.

7 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Aww, no twitter takeovers Shadow?

And I wanted to see him eat raw coffee beans on panel.

That's the biggest loss here

We wont get a story about him trying to open up a cat orphanage and him trying to put the mobian cats in the orphanage. Blaze wasn't a fan

But in relation to the information relayed in the post

Pained Internal Screaming

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I'll stop wanting to see Shadow in the book if he's not allowed to portray the actual character. Put him on the bench until they sort this out.

• Thumbs Up 1

In all seriousness, TSR Shadow being the future doesn't make sense. Wasn't TSR made by Sumo Digital, and not Sonic Team? Shouldn't Forces be the game they're looking at? It's not like they're using TSR's Zavok or anything.

3 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

In all seriousness, TSR Shadow being the future doesn't make sense. Wasn't TSR made by Sumo Digital, and not Sonic Team? Shouldn't Forces be the game they're looking at? It's not like they're using TSR's Zavok or anything.

Sega were likely ones who instructed Shadow’s characterisation in TSR to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Big Panda said:

Archie Shadow is best Shadow.

I'm gonna add on to that and say sonic universe specifically. There's a lot of bad archie shadow IMO anyway.

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I'll stop wanting to see Shadow in the book if he's not allowed to portray the actual character. Put him on the bench until they sort this out.

I guess the issue is kind of do they care to sort it out. I dunno I have read comic books for a while and shadow is a game/ multi media character. But this strikes me like a situation where an " editor " ( or whoever is in charge of the brand management in US sega ) has a bad idea but no one has the power to make him stop and he really likes his bad idea. And they wont realize its a bad idea untill everything is ruined, or they don't care and want the audience to like their bad idea character, brand  whatever be damned. A guy like that was recently removed from DC comics actually.

I hope its a situation where they change and get their shit together. I hope they care to do so, I just I have seen the alternative too many times and it wouldn't be surprising to me if its just someone has petty ego and fans of a thing got assed out because of it.

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I guess the issue is kind of do they care to sort it out. I dunno I have read comic books for a while and shadow is a game/ multi media character. But this strikes me like a situation where an " editor " ( or whoever is in charge of the brand management in US sega ) has a bad idea but no one has the power to make him stop and he really likes his bad idea. And they wont realize its a bad idea untill everything is ruined, or they don't care and want the audience to like their bad idea character, brand  whatever be damned. A guy like that was recently removed from DC comics actually.

I hope its a situation where they change and get their shit together. I hope they care to do so, I just I have seen the alternative too many times and it wouldn't be surprising to me if its just someone has petty ego and fans of a thing got assed out because of it.

It'll take a few years but if we whine enough about it they'll probably stop. 

Sonic characters are like wack a mole where some will be fine and others will be fucked up at any given time.

Just now, Wraith said:

It'll take a few years but if we whine enough about it they'll probably stop. 

Sonic characters are like wack a mole where some will be fine and others will be fucked up at any given time.

Hopefully its a bit sooner than that. Because I feel like it has to be being communicated a lot to them at this point. He's a popular character the criticism comes out up  , community manegers are aware and commented on it. And Flynn has to be mentioning the disdain when talking about what he wants to do with the story. And there are things like the film and make its finally getting to them that maybe while they should be monitoring things letting people go with interpretation that aren't very strict weird diection is fine And making a thing for kids that doesn't have to constantly indulge in insulting itself for jaded adults , that with the success of mania and the film maybe there is just a genuine love for the brand and that's all you need.

All that being said, and despite disdain for weird decisions like this, I kind of get the idea of  it? At least with the comic? I dunno maybe they are kinda spooked about the archie comic still and think shadow is particularly vulnerable. Dunno its weird man

I'm sick of talking about Shadow in IDW, but Why isn't Forces!Shadow as interpretation of the character an option here? It's his last main game appearance, it would make sense to use that and it wasn't bad honestly. I assume that Shadow is SoJ work while this comic is under the strings of SoA. Ugh.

I'm actually glad Shadow was zombotified early now, since Ian isn't allowed to write him as an actual character (wtf, can't believe this is really the case), it was the only way to write him out temporarily, I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there even anything to talk about last 2 Shadow appearances?

In Team Racing he has whole 1 cut scene devoted to him.  He's kinda a prick, but doesn't really do anything.

Forces isn't much better. In main story he shows little personality, in his own episode he's just constantly confused by everything. Only flashback to beating up "Zero the Jackal" was strong character moment and like I said before, it's jackass dumb move only from time perspective. Sonic gives wedgies to plenty of low lives and none of them turned into Infinite.

• Thumbs Up 2