Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

14 hours ago, Big Panda said:

Back when Archie were beginning their “New Riverdale” line, they set up a kickstarter campaign to help fund it. It lasted for a whole five seconds before comic book retailers lost their shit, leading Archie to cancel it.

Why were retailers upset about the fundraiser?

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Oh

I guess what makes it worse is that they just went that direction anyway and were successful

Yes. But if the Kickstarter went ahead, it probably wouldn’t have been at the cost of Sonic Boom and Mega Man.

28 minutes ago, Razule said:

Why were retailers upset about the fundraiser?

This explains it better.

Wait so they did crowdfunding, cancelled when they started to get the wrong kinda attention, did World's Unite to make up the difference, let go of licenses, and then essentially crowdfunded anyway? Or did I misunderstand something?

To my knowledge, "Worlds Unite" was completely unrelated and was going or already planned before their Kickstarter went off. The KS was cancelled within a week because they were afraid of the backlash from comic book stores. One in particular, I recall, essentially complained that trade paperbacks are distributed in mass market settings and not exclusively comic book stores but I think that was an outlier compared to other places that literally did boycott the books in protest.

Since the KS failed and they needed money for their massive brand relaunch but didn't want to wait, they took it out of their other imprints including the Action and Horror lines.

It's also important to note that Archie launched the Kickstarter because they didn't have the money to support their relaunch due to working with places like Wal-Mart to get their books back on those shelves.  A lot of these issues would have been avoided if they had slowed down, and if they had to work on relaunching, then they should have only done Archie and waited for the others but they wanted to go big. All they did was burn people who didn't read the mainline stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, this time it makes sense, it means if there isn't more delay, we will got two comics in March, two in April, two in May, instead of three in March, one in April and two in May

So apparently Archie may have considering a Street Fighter comic, as there were licensing things at the time that World's Unite was testing.

Also, Marine may have a nod coming up since an actual an appearance got cut.

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So apparently Archie may have considering a Street Fighter comic, as there were licensing things at the time that World's Unite was testing.

Was that on Bumblekast? I kinda doubt Archie could have done Street Fighter since the rights to the comics were held by Udon.

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

Was that on Bumblekast? I kinda doubt Archie could have done Street Fighter since the rights to the comics were held by Udon.

Yes.

He described their preferential treatment as "testing the waters."

11 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Like sega said to remove it cut or couldn't fit in the story, cut

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Yes.

I’m confused.

The Udon SF comic was running around the same time the crossover was happening wasn’t it?

4 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Yes.

4 hours ago, SBR2 said:

2 hours ago, Big Panda said:

I’m confused.

The Udon SF comic was running around the same time the crossover was happening wasn’t it?

Oh yeah? Interesting.

Perhaps he was referring to something else then.

"We're not afraid to punch an old man." I mean that'd almost be a fair fight then. 😛

I kid. I mean I don't like the Rogues but I don't mean anything against people who do like them.

3 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

"We're not afraid to punch an old man." I mean that'd almost be a fair fight then. 😛

I kid. I mean I don't like the Rogues but I don't mean anything against people who do like them.

They are the obvious "Who's left" and/or mismatch of these fights.

I get they don't want Cream involved, because of and despite how much she lost, but sending out only Gemerl isn't really the best move. 

Sonic did say that Zeena's arrogance can help the robot, but still.

37 minutes ago, Sir Tinstripe said:

I get they don't want Cream involved, because of and despite how much she lost, but sending out only Gemerl isn't really the best move. 

Sonic did say that Zeena's arrogance can help the robot, but still.

Spoiler

Pretty sure she's going anyway.

Knuckles may or may not be a similar case.

Wonder if we'll get some interaction with Knuckles as a result.

I really liked this new issue. It was mainly a big preparation issue, with a lot of clifhanger, but it was pretty nice, and they managed to make that "many things happens in parallel" works quite nicely.

My only gripe is

Spoiler

Seriously couldn't have them see coming that Gemerl could be controled ? Everybody sending up robots to the Zetis seems way to easy to me. I hope we will get some kind of stuff to make that better. Like good drama. Or that Gemerl being careless will make him evolve. Or maybe they counted of the robots being out of range ? But the problem is that it's never adressed... even if I like the idea of Gemerl having to cope with being the cause of Cream failling.

I've got less problem on Zik and the extreme gears, as it was turned in a better way.

It annoy me a bit less than with Shadow as it's something they are supposed to overcome, so I know they'll at least partly win.

But except that point, it really did its job to hype the rest of the arc. I think that the way this arc is handled might answer to the common problem of Flynn's 4-issues arcs (especially as the fourth issue might be the "finale" of that, and not a 5-page resolution followed by a 15-page epilogue).

I also liked

Spoiler

The tiny bit of talk between Sonic and Eggman, especially as it makes more obvious why he gave a chance to Metal : he saw that happens twice with Omega and Gemerl. Eggman seeding a doubt in Sonic was cool too.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah the metal thing makes sense and is story wise far more interesting than focusing on eggman. Infact I kinda wish the morality thing was focused on metal not eggman. Though both of them would have just agreed so I guess I understand why they needed to do someone else. Regardless sonic explaining himself in that scene makes sense and its neat

• Thumbs Up 1

I just got Issue 26. I liked it of course. It was very much a set-up and transitional issue, which is fine.

A part of me is a bit worried about how much time we've got left in this arc. I don't know if 4 issues is going to be enough to wrap all this up in a satisfactory manner and if it isn't, I can only hope it's one of Ian's less rushed endings. It's still a problem he has seeing as how the Battle for Angel Island and the Tangle and Whisper arcs played out. Not necessarily bad endings but very quick ones.

I enjoyed the conversation between Sonic and Eggman. They've both got their share of the blame, sure, but the majority of it is on Eggman. It's hard for me to perceive Sonic's initial actions as worthy of all the scrutiny when the reason it backfired was the result of something literally none of them could have reasonably been expected to predict. Even Sonic letting Metal Sonic go didn't do much but excellerate what Dr. Starline was already doing. Still, it's nice seeing Sonic struggling with handling how much of this is being pushed on him.

The situation seems to be a massive time crunch. They need the emeralds so that Sonic can use them to turn Super and use the Warp Topaz to get rid of the virus but they can't do that if he turns into a Zombot. A part of me wondered if Silver would be a viable candidate but then I remembered that they probably don't actually know if he can go Super since the only time he did was in Sonic 06 and that was eradicated from time. 

Yeah, it just hit me. I don't think ANY of the characters, including Silver, know that Silver can go super... huh...

Even then, Sonic definitely knows more about how to use the emeralds then he does either way. If they lose Sonic and they... somehow figure out that Silver is a viable candidate and they... somehow manage to get him to use the emeralds and the Warp Topaz correctly... then it might be a viable back-up plan...? Maybe? Then again, the way Starline was talking about the Warp Topaz, it was already a huge risk on its own but giving it to someone not as experienced with using the emeralds on top of that seems even more reckless and they're literally on their last legs. 

I love the anime battle set-ups we've gotten here. Zomom is dumb but not that dumb. It's almost a little too cartoonish to expect him to believe that Zavok asked Tails and Amy to get the emerald from him. This guy was able to correct Sonic on the number of words he used in Lost World, then smacked him over the head with a sandwich.

I like that Zazz was able to tell Espio was around by sniffing the air around him. Although if Zazz wants to enjoy some bloodsports, he could just have the "fuzzypunks" fight each other and then punish the loser by throwing them to the Zombots. There, I done fixed it for ya. Hahaha~!

I'm extremely interested in seeing how Zor's weird powers are going to be utilized here. Apparently his bio said something about him using dark arts that even the other Zeti don't want anything to do with. Presumably it extends beyond making dark shadow clones and energy bolts. It didn't surprise me that he could break out of Silver's psychokinesis. 

I've always liked Master Zik so it's nice seeing him face off against three people all at once. I'll admit to forgetting that the Rogue's boards were machines so I had a neat little reaction to seeing him using them to slam  their stomachs in and ride one around. It's good stuff.

Mostly just waiting for the action to get in the thick of itself though. 

15 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

Hide contents

Seriously couldn't have them see coming that Gemerl could be controled ?

They did see it coming. Sonic's only line about it was "It's risky" which was supposed to get the point across that he knew what he was risking by sending him after Zeena. I think what happened is that Gemerl ended up being careless because he rushed in after Cream. 

Still, I do think he could have emphasized it a bit more for the readers who might have missed it.

• Thumbs Up 4