Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Wow, that failed horribly.

So...that back and forth Sonic & Eggman had was pretty nice, I like dat.

wow. cream did a bad move there. and yeah, looking forward to a super form like supersonic of course. BUT what about hyper knuckles or tails having a super form? lets wait and c

This issue was kinda weird and a little disappointing. I honestly had to check the credits afterwards for clarification on the art as well as the writing. The latter had a different, possibly new artist take over partway through, so if you're wondering what was going on with say Master Zik's eyes at the end, that's a factor.

I'll talk more when I get a better setup sometime later.

#26... a bit too much setup for me (wasn't last issue for that?). Also, Sonic  already had treadmill in previous issue, continuity is RUINED!

Other than that pretty okay issue

Spoiler

Sonic banter with Eggman was decent, I'm surprised Flynn managed to squeeze any more argument for this discussion.

As for teams
Amy/Tails... wow, you guys failed badly so far.
Espio didn't do much better, so much for "ninja are cool". But I guess it wasn't his fault.
Silver/Whisper are overkill, I think either of them could take down Zor. They heaviest hitters, sending them together wasn't best tactic.
Cream/Gemerl... is there anything to say? It was suicide move from start and yeah, they could give any panel to point that out.
Babylon Rouges are the fight that most intrigues me. Everyone else will win by outsmarting the stupid Zeti (Silver/Whisper can just overpower Zor), but Emerald Zik seems way out of Jet's league, especially if he can just take their gear (I admit, I didn't saw that one coming).

And of course Rouge will inevitably fail to take down Zavok, so he can fight Sonic & Knuckles on Angel Island (...wasn't that the last season finale?).  I just hope he'll be smart rather than lucky like in #25.

I must admin that Flynn does formidable job with Zeti. They shallow, but Flynn embraced that. I always though they feel like demons/oni or rather "Deadly Sin kid edition" (I mean deadly six/sin, one letter. That had to be on purpose) . So yeah, they bunch of bullies, but dangerous and cruel ones, so don't underestimate them. Ironically Zavok comes worst so far. All he does in this issue is roar angrily, unaware he's being duped by Orbot and Rouge and like I said, in #25 he got lucky. I just hope he'll do better next issue.

One question though: is there any reason why Sonic isn't joining any team (other than this being convenient for the plot). I know he's weak, bu he needs to move anyway, might as well spin dash into Zeti. Some could argue they can't risk losing him, but whole operation is absolute risk, they send Gemerl in one of teams.
.... and if they send Gemerl, why not Metal Sonic as well? At very least Eggman would be less of a threat.

If we look at the cover of this very issue (and #29), Metal will definitely go into action, one way or another. Yeah, things are looking waaay too quite for Rouge there, don't underestimate Zavok. Also, this is his first appearance where I genuinely disliked him, ok it's just 2 seconds but he seemed possessed by Zazz.

The rest of the Zeti are great! They don't seem like a joke here, in fact they don't make jokes anymore but rather dark one liners, especially Zazz's. With a bit more of interesting basis they could come off as charming, even.

I'm sorry though, but the heroes are acting like dumbasses, not just sending Gemerl and obviously Cream acting out of anger and desperation, but Tails and Amy are terrible liars, Silver is cringy, Jet is... *facepalm*, Espio also uses in usual tactic and underestimates his opponent. Loved the Eggman speech to Sonic, lol, they always peck each other.

I loved this issue, though some things about it made me cringe. The biggest things being Amy and Tails plan to just lie to Zomom and sending G-Mel to go after Zeena. Seriously, why the fuck would you send a ROBOT to attack someone who has the ability to control machinery?! That makes about as much sense as sending a shark to attack Aquaman.

But other than the heroes stupidity, I really loved the exchange between Sonic and Eggman, and Flynn did a perfect job with the Zeti and showed us why they’re called the deadly six. Can’t wait for the next issue.

Actually you know what? I haven't read the issue myself (because I'm not catching up until the zombot shit is over, it's so boring), but I have seen the conversation between Sonic and Metal Sonic and it's bullshit. 

-Omega didn't even have a choice in rebelling against Eggman really. He was abandoned as soon as he was made for we don't know how long. He didn't get a chance to act like an Eggman lackey. Sonic should know this by now.

-G-Merl didn't have a choice, he was flat out reprogrammed. Sonic definitely knows this.

Just shut up and admit you fucked up, Sonic.

I'll be damned, Ian actually made the Deadly Six tolerable. I've compare Mephiles before to the shark in Jaws, it's not exactly the most compelling villain on its own, but it creates interesting situations for our heroes, which is where the focus is (incidentally, most zombie fiction uses the same idea). Ian seems to be taking the Deadly Six more along that route, treating them more like plot devices who show up to cause trouble when rather than laboring under the delusion that they are engaging characters in their own right. Contrast Lost World, which dedicated a not insignificant amount of screen-time to them standing around in a black void acting one-note. Which would be like if Jaws dedicated several minutes of footage to the shark just swimming around.

It also helps that the comic's art-style glosses over a lot of the more out-of-place elements of Deadly Six's designs, like their plasticky textures, flat eyes, and over-exaggerated animations. It also seems willing to tweak the designs to look better in general, such as actually making Zavok look muscular (especially his arms) instead of... vaguely muscular shaped.

ZavokArms.png.137b864d2f639d0e647c67e1ae323f67.png

latest?cb=20190201051846

It's a subtle change, but its definitely an improvement over how he looks in the games.

1 hour ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Hide contents

Actually you know what? I haven't read the issue myself (because I'm not catching up until the zombot shit is over, it's so boring), but I have seen the conversation between Sonic and Metal Sonic and it's bullshit. 

-Omega didn't even have a choice in rebelling against Eggman really. He was abandoned as soon as he was made for we don't know how long. He didn't get a chance to act like an Eggman lackey. Sonic should know this by now.

-G-Merl didn't have a choice, he was flat out reprogrammed. Sonic definitely knows this.

Just shut up and admit you fucked up, Sonic.

I think its ironic that with those moral complications and conversations that it ultimately comes off as looking childish and immature, and the actual " adult" answer is kind of bittersweet and sad and simple. The more i think on that back and fourth the more i like it less. the reprogramming thing is particularly poignant actually.

1 hour ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Omega absolutely could've waited in that room, guarding Shadow, as Eggman presumably intended. He wouldn't have liked it, but, well, that's him making the choice whether to continue following Eggman's orders or to rebel.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Hide contents

Was he, though? We all kind of assumed Tails reprogrammed him, but thinking about it... that's never actually been said anywhere. there's no dialogue in the game, and in the flashback when he first appears in the comics, Cream just says they 'fixed' him. It's possible the situation with Gemerl was actually identical to the situation with Metal - that they just fixed him up and gave him a choice... and he chose differently.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't have much to say about this issue since it's mostly a transitional one, but I'll list off my thoughts.

The 1st half of the issue has pretty great art as usual, Knuckles` and Silver's expressions are killing me.

I really liked Sonic laying out the battle plans; he can be thoughtful when he has to slowdown for a bit.

You know, while I understand the reasoning behind it, it is kind of annoying we're doing the whole "cream is too young to fight" plotline again. Fortunately, she told Gemerl to stuff where the sun don't shine. I know they said it was risky, but I still question the logic of sending Gemerl when they could have left him on the Island and have Knuckles go deal with Zeena.

Sonic's conversation with Eggman was...fine. I understand it's childish for Sonic to think that way, but Sonic is a simple person with a simple view on morality. The gist is that if Metal didn't willingly go back to Eggman, they wouldn't be in their current situation. Its not particularly complex, but it fits his character. And boy do I love Flynn's Eggman and his of psychological warefare, it's such a treat. 

Zik being able to control the Extreme Gear was a bit of a surprise, but they are machines so I was like "oh, I guess that would make sense". 

And man was that art drop significant... 

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

I know they said it was risky, but I still question the logic of sending Gemerl when they could have left him on the Island and have Knuckles go deal with Zeena.

Apparently Knuckles didn't consider the option of just...having Gemerl guard the Emerald from Eggboy.

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Apparently Knuckles didn't consider the option of just...having Gemerl guard the Emerald from Eggboy.

I feel like that was deliberate just so Ian can have Knuckles team up with Sonic to fight Zavok when he inevitably shows up at Angel Island. 

Apparently a Main Character & Knuckles tag-team against Zavok is gonna be special?

Hmm.

I'm only slightly curious.

3 hours ago, SkullPirateMike said:

Was he, though? We all kind of assumed Tails reprogrammed him, but thinking about it... that's never actually been said anywhere. there's no dialogue in the game, and in the flashback when he first appears in the comics, Cream just says they 'fixed' him. It's possible the situation with Gemerl was actually identical to the situation with Metal - that they just fixed him up and gave him a choice... and he chose differently.

I was just going to say the same thing...

All we know about Gemerl being "reprogrammed" is this picture in the ending cutscene of the game, we don't know if it's being reprogrammed or just repaired (at least, in the games' canon and as far as I know).

spacer.png

I just can't shake off the feeling that they are all gonna die and the ones we see on the #29 cover are the only safe ones. They are being THAT dumb.

7 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:
  Hide contents

That’s the difference between Gemerl and Omega, though.

If Omega was any other Eggman robot, like Gemerl, he would’ve actively sought out Eggman upon his reactivation, because most robots would act on programming alone. Omega, being a unique case, actively went against his programming to rebel. That sounds a lot like he had a choice to me.

And even if rejoining Eggman was firmly out of the question, he still chose to fight on the side of good rather than, say, becoming a solo baddie (which could easily have been a possibility since I’m sure he’d still have at least some of that “kill Sonic” instinct in there).

I got my wish Zeena did win, but hearing all this talk about Ian doing a better job at writing the zeti then Sega is going over my head he'll give a character more screen time and gets praised for writing better then Sega to easily.

Anyway the fighting is all over the place Amy & Tails try tricking Zomom for some reason and Sonic thinks Zeena is so narcissistic that she won't see a robot coming.

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I feel like that was deliberate just so Ian can have Knuckles team up with Sonic to fight Zavok when he inevitably shows up at Angel Island. 

Yeah, the cracks are there in the folly of the plan too. I understand that Knuckles, when written by Ian, is always going to put his duty to protect the Master Emerald and his island at the forefront but I think Knuckles probably could have at least tried to suggest an amendment to the plan that saw someone he trusted staying behind on the island. 

Although, it's interesting that if the plan is to have Sonic and Knuckles fight Zavok, Issue 29 shows Sonic, Silver, and presumably Metal Sonic rushing into battle instead. 

I dunno. I'm thinking it might have just been an oversight. I can look past it though because, honestly, the drama of having Cream trying to survive a mind-controlled Germel while surrounded by Zeena and her horde of Zombots sounds way cooler... but yeah. Still probably a flub. 

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I got my wish Zeena did win, but hearing all this talk about Ian doing a better job at writing the zeti then Sega is going over my head he'll give a character more screen time and gets praised for writing better then Sega to easily.

Zeena hasn't won yet. I have my doubts that on a team with so many geniuses, they'd be so stupid to send Gemerl after a Zeti if they can take control of them (Eggman especially, given he did the exact same thing, he'd have to be really dumb to make it twice within two issues). I'm already guessing they've already got some kind of countermeasure on Gemerl (My guess being that Gemerl has managed to gain enough free will that he refuses to hurt Cream). Playing this straight is literally going to be such a massive contrivance that it would hurt.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yeah, the cracks are there in the folly of the plan too. I understand that Knuckles, when written by Ian, is always going to put his duty to protect the Master Emerald and his island at the forefront but I think Knuckles probably could have at least tried to suggest an amendment to the plan that saw someone he trusted staying behind on the island. 

I don't like complaining much about "insert character here had too much time to shine, this character should be here", because we get enough of that as is between Shadow and Amy. However, I do have to say I'm really disappointed Knuckles got side-lined in this way. It makes sense I guess, but like on the other hand, surely it still would've made more sense to have Gemerl stay back and watch it (given he could easily kick Eggman's ass, although Metal Sonic would be another matter altogether), instead of having Knuckles do it and lose one of their best fighters.

Spoiler

Wait, what was the point of the teaser last issue with all the Zombotted friends if we never see them again?

He realized that Zavok wouldn't know they were on Angel Island before making such a plan...

2 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:
  Hide contents

Wait, what was the point of the teaser last issue with all the Zombotted friends if we never see them again?

Spoiler

We will see them again - Zavok was the one who gathered them as a final defence, and Rouge is the one handling getting the emerald from him. What'll likely happen is that Rouge will be discovered and zombified, resulting in Sonic appearing to take it back from him.