Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, Zulon Eredas said:

Missing shipment means I couldn't get the issue this week.

Seems there's an issue with IDW issues coming in.  My local shop didn't get enough TMNT issues so they couldn't pull the issue and said hopefully they'll get some next week.  They only got a few Sonic issues as well.

6 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

Anyone notice this is the SECOND final battle on the Floating Island we've had in less than two to three years? 

Flynn will lampshade it. I just know it. He won't be able to resist.

(but yes, I noticed and it is a little silly)

Kinda wish last few issue took place on different parts of  Angel Island in more iconic zones, but I guess that would require too much changes to the plot.

Honestly, this issue just reminds me the Deadly Six could've been more interesting and fleshed out if they were a smaller group of say, 3 or 4 baddies. The games only keep using Zavok, Zazz and Zeena anyway (there was an unused voice line for her in Tokyo 2020) while the rest only had a miniscule cameo in Runners. There isn't enough space to focus on each one individually, and just like the Koopalings I don't see any noteworthy dynamic here that makes them stand out when they do appear as a group - they never even touched on the Deadly Sins concept, and I don't think anyone would be thrilled about two D6 teams in a hypothetical TSR sequel.

Now, while the fights with Zeena and Zomom were absolutely well done, large parts of #25 and #26 were already used to give them a page of set-up each showing them taking over a region and then the same thing again with them meeting the heroes, so with this issue I wasn't even interested in seeing the other battles extended in the same manner of 27 considering how detached they feel from the Zombot saga (which mostly everyone's been ready to see conclude).

Still looking forward to see the gang clash with their former allies, but considering how late it comes the stakes aren't too high about anyone else getting infected. The fact the constant teasing about Sonic's infection getting worse resulted in absolutely nothing is a huge disappointment though, even if he turns for two panels next time. It's what The Last Minute should've been about, even if Tails' cure immediately got destroyed after using it on Sonic.

LI forgot to directly mention it when I got to the latter: Zazz shrugs off how Espio was wailing on him by saying Zavok's done worse. This is a reference to the implication that he gets beaten when he continues to fail or screw up.

Spoiler

Considering he's the only Zeti to make it out of his confrontation and he's seemingly absent from the first cover of the Villains Miniseries, I almost wonder if that's gonna play into anything.

I haven't been catching up with the Bumblekasts. Can anyone summerize them for me please?

@PublicEnemy1

You asked for it

Spoiler

On 6/21/2020 at 5:51 AM, TransPirate said:

Yesterday Sonic Revolution 2020 Digital Convention had a short panel with IDW Sonic writers and artists: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/656455815?t=04h43m15s

Usual questions about SEGA's involvement, posibility of Archie characters appearing in IDW and IDW characters appearing in the games were asked and answered with no new information as far as I can tell. Artists gave some drawing tips.

Edit, cause I am not sure if two posts in a row are allowed on this forum:

New BumbleKast in which, amongst other things, Ian Flynn explains what effect Metal Virus would have on Bunnie and confirms SonaDow*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyPZVb8yftQ

CW for an episode: discussion of mental health issues, mention of suicidal thoughts

*not really

On 6/15/2020 at 6:02 PM, KoDaiko said:

Looks like it's from Bumblekast #115, starting at 1:27:48.

On 6/12/2020 at 2:52 PM, DabigRG said:

Some Bumblekast intel from Grandpa Simps--I mean, Mr. Flynn!

• Tribot like most characters are a matter of SEGA being asked and saying yes.
  • The multiverse of the reboot(yes, another one) was mainly things that were separate from Sonic's immediate universe, including Blaze, Megaman, other franchises.
  • The Council of Acorn siding with Naugus was a combination of his emotional manipulation of them as well as their shared fears of recent events necessitating that something be done and one story on the way to 300 was them having to tell Naugus no on a couple of things that he wanted to do for personal reasons. They had inner workings and motivations that were hinted at, but simply couldn't be overtly gone into since they were a political side thing in a Sonic book; they weren't bad guys just because they didn't side with the heroes and were largely formed because Max wasn't a very good king in the longrun, but they had their worse aspects as well as relative notice that caused them to make questionably. 
    • Uncle Chuck was the best statesman due to having the most experience, but most inclined to just trust the Freedom Fighters, even though things are far more complex than their other days. 
    • Hamlin was still bitter about the Substitute Legion fading into disuse and so his rise to power was to regain some authority to make sure things were followed according the rules.
    • Dylan wasn't a good statesmen due to Hamlin's pressuring and in kind tried to encourage him to consider other ways of approaching things.
    • Penelope was a middle of the road, pragmatic swingvote because she didn't have much to her character.
    • Rosemary was anti-monarchy to the point of Elias's presence being a concession she had to deal with and as such, would be undermining Naugus as well. He's aware that people didn't really like how she and Amadeus' turned out, so he hoped getting to see her take something of a stand for her own scruples would've put her in a more favorable light.
    • Rotor was blatantly biased in the Freedom Fighters favor for obvious reasons, despite there being times when thinking more impersonally would be necessary.
    • He honestly doesn't clearly recall putting Isabella on and as such didn't dwell.
    • Naugus was obviously the villain and so the grayer aspects of the other characters would've been showcased had things not gotten so complicated.
  •  The Phantom Ruby create hypothetical create other Phantom Rubies due to creating things that are very close to the original despite that not making a whole lot of sense in some instances.(Eggman apparently used the real one to help conjure Infinite's sun without killing the Resistance and himself the instant he did so, Classic oneshots Chaos Zero) He also obviously feels the Prototypes were very badly explained.
  • Marine's intended involvement is something of a spoiler, but the reason given by SonicTeam was a kinda silly way of saying she's benched for now rather than barred from use. Her resemblance to Sticks probably had nothing to do with it.
  • GUN haven't gotten involved with the Zombot Apocalypse due to being in the human world.
  • The Underground epilogue was to be all him after taking notes from all 40 episodes of it in order to make a satisfying conclusion for those who wanted it. He realizes that those fans would probably want more than a single issue, but that's all he was originally given. Those notes will be in Lost Hedgehog Tales.
  • Miles Prower is indeed a pun on Miles Per Hour; don't be surprised that you're the only one who doesn't get 1990s humor because you're not.

Almost didn't see this.

Reveal hidden contents

I was gonna ask what the Wisps are holding, but that got answered before i knew it.

Idk why, but I kinda laughed when Zor said he spends a lot of time online. Weird look for his clones, but whatever. 

Funny how Whisper is known as a Guardian Angel when she's a sniper. Looks like they get the Emerald pretty quick, though.

On 5/23/2020 at 11:37 AM, DabigRG said:

Catching up on Bumblekast 114 and 115 with info from Metal Ian:

The Chaos Emeralds hop between worlds/locations constantly, the Sol Emeralds are comparitively stationary umless physically moved, and the Power of the Stars is what controls the balance between those two dimensions.

The Deadly Six are fine being relatively close to the Zombots because the Metal Virus requires direct contact to spread and if they tap into the Chaos Emeralds, they can use their abilities to manipulate the Virus so it doesn't infect them.

SEGA asked, on addition to their specific direction on Gemerl and whatever they're doing with Shadow, that Amy's open affection be toned down a bit.

The bushy eyebrowed Mobian in Tangles hometown is not a reference to Elias that he's aware of.

The Mobians don't show certain parts because it's a cartoon.

More coming...

The Sonic series would need more consistency to begin to be deconstructed ala Neon Genesis Evangelion and Puella Magi Madoka Magicka, which were referencing entire genres.

IDW is fine with LGBT representation, but it would depend if SEGA wants a particular character in the book. Additionally, since cartoon character may be very different if brought back, New252Sally's intended bisexuality is uncertain.

He's open to editorial work regarding scripts and original ideas on Yahoo.

Mephiles is dead. Additionally, the one in the No Zone is an alternate zone version added by Tracey Yardley!

With his luck, Blaze's world could be name Mobius and Sonic's could end up being something else. They seem to have an aversion to naming planets outside of Wisp and Dopan.

The Another Time Another Place stories and any other game adaptations were effectively alternate universes of their own unless stated otherwise.

Silver traveling linearly doesn't really make sense, but it's better not to think about it. He's tried and it caused pain.

Alternate versions of Sonic that exist beyond Classic are unlikely be be used.

There will be stories in new areas of Sonic's World.

If Tangle, Jewel, and Whisper formed a team, they would be Speed for agility on too of brawling, Flight due to being designed ad a Tails, and Power through the Variable Wispon's impactful damage. Tangle would name them Team Awesome Friends being Awesome together, though the others wouldn't be keen.

There's a mandate against Metal talking when not Neo, sticking in spite of counters of times he's talked before.

The Zone Cops most likely won't return.

Crossovers with characters like Superman and Flash would depend on which incarnation and/or if a DCU writer is on board.

Sonic's second favorite food is antacids.

Amy isn't meant to be channeling Sally while running the Resistance or Restoration, which the latter would've handled far better due to experience. She's been floundering, but also been encouraging and supportive towards everyone while feeling some of the strain herself.

If Megaman 7 had happened in the comic, the English version complete with the wonky translation would probably have been followed since Rock being fed up with Wily's actions before glitching and locking up under the law of robotics is a neat idea.

Things like Zavok becoming a former leader, in addition to not coming up during the pitch, is not being for the time being since they are being encouraged not to follow the games.

Roger Craig Smith is a favorite due to the consistent attitude he's given thus far.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:09 PM, Shadowlax said:

New bumblekast.

Infinite's backstory wasn't deeper meant to be more. He legit just wanted to see the world burn. It is not more complicated than that. Ian flynn was provided with the reference material. Guess that explains why he seemingly didn't give a shit about his friends being dead.

On 1/7/2020 at 9:48 PM, KoDaiko said:

It was in the newest Bumblecast#1 at 1:01:14: "Is Shadow an android in the new IDW comics?"

Reveal hidden contents
  • Ian was going off through ending of ShTH where Eggman says (during the final boss fight) that his robots rescued Shadow during his fall on SA2, and he is the one true Shadow.
  • Note he recieved from SEGA apparently said Android life-version MIGHT still be on the table (?)
  • However this also on the same line of note that said there is no money on Sonic's world, leading to some interesting revision to Chaotix-related things
  • Ian working under assumption that Shadow is THE Shadow.
  • If Sega were to take things in different direction, he just has to take things accordingly.

On 1/10/2020 at 2:32 PM, DabigRG said:

More Bumblekast, this time 105:

•   Reveal hidden contents

• The topic was on Morality, so Snively and briefly Knuckles were brought up as a point of how a character's switch of sides can be interesting or perhaps take away some of what them interesting. The former joining the Freedom Fighters had little done to explore his change or even question his sincerity, so he was brought into the Eggman Empire to be reestablish the interesting dynamics and explore the moral implications of doing so.
    • A unanswered question about what happened to the Troll Civilization revealed that there is a minute information that has been deemed possible to mold into a safe-to-share bit of Lost Hedgehog Tales. He will try to ask certain individuals about other stuff that might not be swampy when the time is right since it's been a while.
    • Season 2 of IDW was not originally this long, but was extended due to format of trades and a need to showcase the extended cast to makeup for their rarity in the games.
    • Season 3 of Sonic X was due to popular demand in France and is apparently only recently being released in Japan. It's also confusingly being replayed to promote the Movie.
    • Whisper & Mimic is just a basic Wolf & Octopus with no particular species being intended. He acknowledges how Sonic, Big, and Cream could be considered a particular animal, but doubts it is intentional.
    • Sees crossover with MLP FIM as an inevitability and has a few thoughts about it, but is holding onto that to avoid spoilers whenever it does come up. He would like to see interaction between both worlds to go crazy if allowed(ex.Sonic vs Rainbow has to come up at some point :lol:).
    • Doesn't think Human vs Sonic's World should be as complex. Yuji Naka was apparently the one who came up with the Human World distinction and Iuzuka just inherited the eventual need to mention it out of house. 
    • The Super Genesis Wave changed everything, including Sally's bisexuality(or pansexuality according to Kyle) that was lightly founded in Spark of Life. Any nods to what come before were simple fanservice.

Something I just remembered:

To him, there are two or three Central Cities, with the one in Battle being in the Sonic's World.

On 1/12/2020 at 3:04 PM, DabigRG said:

Yet more Bumblekast, this time on Balancing Characters vs Plot: 

• So apparently, the Sonic vs Tails tag line for House of Cards was an editorial suggestion to make the story more accessible. Since the original arc had already been condensed into two issues, there was little choice but to rely on what came before and some mental gymnastics to make it work. 
  • He laments not taking more advantage of backup stories to have more character driven exploration ala Stargazing. 
  • There is apparently an FAQ esque source that helps track what questions have been answered thus far. 
  • Sees Marine as more eager to meet new friends compared to Sticks. 
  • Questions Eggman's perspective on Gerald's legacy in regards to what the public record actually is: is he just a famed innovator before "disappearing" or is he an infamous traitor for science? He also prefers if he was less of a tragic figure and more of an egotist perhaps under GUNs employ who got hyperfocused  into what he is at some point. 
  • The Warp Topaz can warp reality. Also, he admits to flubbing the Zeti shell's name in the same issue.
  • Doesn't know how Megawoman/WeaponWoman AU would've been handled if Capcom and Archie allowed it. Sees Rock as troubleshooter to Roll's assistance, so she'd be more empathetic to him finding the problem. 
  • Not sure Sonic and Pokemon crossover would last long, never mind what continuity or conditions it would operate under--Sonic getting caught is overdone, but might get a nod. Sonic would run a Glasscannon team if he's patient enough, Tails would be a better trainer through a well researched team including moves like Blizzard, and Knuckles would be a hands on Fighting team. 
  • Thinks Metal Virus is worse than Roboticization by a small margin. 

On 2/4/2020 at 12:59 PM, DabigRG said:

Actually, she was originally in the arc and would've had to deal with the moral dilemma of having the power to permanently deal with Zombots at the cost of killing whoever they were. This was quickly agreed upon during conceptualization to be too dark, so they had her bow out beforehand. 

That reminds me that they aren't on the variant cover.

But yeah, they'll basically go back to whatever they were doing while Eggman & Starline presumably take a break. Assuming they don't get removed from play.

Did they say how many pages it would be?

Eh, I don't know about fleshed out just yet.

Like sure, Zavok will likely get some decently meaningful screentime/focus here that he hasn't really been getting elsewhere, Zor will get to torment Whisper & Silver, and I've already called Zeena subverting a Cat Fight with Cream a move to make her more vicious, but I kinda doubt it'll be much more than that.

Wouldn't mine being more wrong, though.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:48 AM, Shadowlax said:

Dont know if this posted but a bumblekast moment detailed on reddit

It's just weird man.

thathat 

On 2/25/2020 at 10:43 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Listened to the Bumblekast today and I'm glad the info about Shadow was posted in a very well written, paraphrased post. You can kind of hear the mild confusion in his voice as he tries to think over how he's going to properly approach this character going forward. I just hope things work out.

It's not IDW related but he did have another question about his regrets towards how World's Unite ended up. If he could do it again, he'd overall 90% of it, which is pretty much the entire thing.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:05 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Oh no, he definitely has. Specifically, he thinks the Freedom Fighters and the Maverick Hunters being there at all was a mistake. I know he included the Freedom Fighters because some were bummed they weren't in the last crossover but, you know, just the main four Sonic characters probably should have been it.

Back on IDW, though, I'm loving the covers that manage to portray something ominous with simple visuals. Even if it's got a humorous edge to it. Like that cover of Orbot holding Omega's head gives off more of a creepy vibe to me than a comedic one and I prefer that feeling be in the pit of my stomach really. That one cover where everything's a grayish brown except for the infected monkey in the yellow cloak still gives me that feeling whenever I look at it. 

On 6/17/2019 at 11:54 AM, Marco9966 said:

Its that even if Tails mentioned his Cocoa Island adventure in the twitter takeover, its still in the classic universe.

I noticed we never see references to the classic games even the big 3. The earliest reference in IDW is SA1.

On 6/20/2019 at 4:17 PM, DabigRG said:

I listened to BumbleKast 89(?; it was BumbleKwest or whatever) last night and heard a few things.

• The next issue is more or less the Cream & Gemerl issue, with Chocola and Vanilla being hinted at
      • Something he didn't say and neither shall I
    • Rough n Tumble, Whisper, Jewel(?), and possibly Dr. Starline are likely in their midteens to early twenties like the rest of the cast  
    • Null Mind and Cortez are likely not gonna be in IDW 
      • Null is similar to something that is/will happen
      • Cortez was context heavy to Antoine's backstory and probably won't be retooled since he'd be a different character at that point 
    • Gardon may appear if we get a story in Blaze's World

Also I listened to a different one a little while ago and remember this much

Reveal hidden contents

Don't expect things like the Magic Hands

On 6/23/2019 at 6:43 PM, DabigRG said:

Currently listening to Bumblekast's Retrospective of Year One. Will report any interesting tidbits as they come.

Retrospective

Reveal hidden contents

• Master Overlord was intentionally meant to be streamlined due to how cluttered Metal Overlord looked
    • The placement of the Master Emerald was changed per SEGA's direction.
  • Finds writing Eggman again cathartic
  • Impressed with how people have taken to Starline
    • May not turn on Eggman [in Year Two] 
  • SEGA was fine with pretty much everything he came up with for Year Two, which he feared would have been too dark
  • Enjoyed the speculation and debate that's come with potential Virus victims
  • SEGA evidently won't let him write five years in advance [for some reason]

Q&A

Reveal hidden contents
  • Doesn't know official word on what happens after Mania
    • would guess is that Encore is more canon over Adventures
  • A little surprised people were upset by Mobini testing
  • Stuff about Nexus
  • New Multiverse stuff aside from Sonic Classic Blaze and possibly Little Planet is a maybe,
    • Doesn't see need for it in near future
    • Would prefer SEGA multiverse
  • Stuff about Scourge
  • Stuff about 30YL
  • There is something in IDW that will change due to fan reaction
  • Whisper can see
    • Actually knew someone like that--it was freaky
    • Capabilities of Whisper's mask will be touched on in Miniseries
    • Evan Stanley came up with Whisper's design beyond characterization and broad points

From Previous Episode

Reveal hidden contents
  • Sonic "Losing what he cares about" is supposed to be a theme within the Zombot arc
  • Stuff about Emerald Spears

On 6/27/2019 at 10:27 AM, DabigRG said:

Oh?

Oh yeah, according to the Bumblekast, there's apparently a hierarchy: Boo, Boom Boo, and finally King Boom Boo.

On 6/28/2019 at 4:41 PM, DabigRG said:

Word from the Bumblekast's Kid Icarus Retrospective 

Reveal hidden contents
  • He's grown to like having human characters in Sonic, in part because of Unleashed compared to the Adventure days. He believes as long as they serve Sonic's general narrative, they'll be fine and avoid the Transformers territory.
  • It is possible for there to be new male hero and/or new female villain down the road--there will be no new characters before the end of the Metal Virus Arc(?). He has ideas for new characters already, but that's far from coming into play.
  •  

Well I don't know.

Depends on whether the company thinks they can benefit the digital sales.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:54 PM, DabigRG said:

Slingin in from Bumblekast Far from Home

Reveal hidden contents
  • Whisper miniseries takes place after Tangle visits Tails but before Metal Virus becomes epidemic    
  • Cream's map may apparently be updated per what will happen
    • She will be showing up more in the arc, but the future is unknown due to not planning too far ahead
  • Metal Virus was originally made for Archie and was on table for long time:
    • Previous editor asked for pitch due to zombies' popularity
    • Metal Goo was result, but was shelved due to Afterlife with Archie
      • Repeatedly delayed multiple times for other events that took priority
    • Was finally gonna be in reboot, but comic ended  
      • Post 300 plans following up on Maw's claim that roboticization was gonna work again    
    • Archie version might've been very different, but there was no actual outline made   
  • Editor thought Amy maiming Rough n' Tumble was a bit much, but artist went whole hog regardless  
  • Omega vs Zombots is gonna go how you'd think
  • Sol emeralds are different from Chaos Emeralds & Dragonballs
    • Seem more reliable
    • Don't seem too scatter after use, though perhaps they just weren't used enough
    • Sega did not give notes on them
  • Blaze's world and Human world are apparently also not actually named                

On 8/30/2019 at 12:49 AM, SBR2 said:

Which is BTW one of the pinnaclesof human achievement. Something nobody has ever come close to surpassing. And funnily enough he wasn't even supposed to write it. 

On Bumblekast Ian revealed the story was originally going to be done by a WWE writer (probably for the same novelty as having the Dreamwave Transformers writers do an issue) but they ducked out so Ian wrote it and had an absolute blast doing it.

On 9/9/2019 at 5:43 AM, Jack at Home said:

Btw, I just listened to an interesting question in the latest Bumblekast, and it looks like the classic games are canon after all, but since SEGA hasn't made up their mind on whether they are the past, another dimension or both, he's freezing the situation and will probably not explore the past for now, but focus on the modern side, but apparently they are canon for now.

On 9/16/2019 at 3:08 PM, Shadowlax said:

I got you, so questions that are not interesting or weird in a way in which I don't want to bother with i'm not including

1) book takes about 1-2 weeks to write

2) Bean and some other obscure characters he thinks can't be used. He has not checked, but he suspects that they now fall under the classic umbrella

3)Not sure if tangle and whisper can bigger merch , but ask sega

4) The metal virus would have been different in Archie. Nor was it a fleshed out idea

5)Ian Flynn thinks that Vector should have been the leader of the resistance because knuckles is a recluse he's not a people person or a leader. Vector has experience commanding people and being an effective leader.

6) Ian Flynn says that the idea of the comics being reflective of canon is a fine line to walk. Some characters are more tightly regulated than others. Specifically uses the example that he is free-er to use sonic and eggman and interpret them weird than shadow and germil . He tries to be true to those characteristics. He doesn't like to say the comics are canon in any capacity because the games take precedence and if the games changes something, he has to change it which will render his previous work untrue. He tries to be true to the game characters while putting what he think's would be a fun spin on them. As much as he can.

7)He hadn't thought about adding LGBTQ+ characters in the megaman book because most of the robot masters in classic megaman are presented as children. And didn't want them in any type of serious relationships. Iceman being interested in roll is is some cute kiddie stuff. Also most classic megaman robot masters aren't supposed to be sapient. The reploids in X are much easier to conceptualize relationships + them being older. He may have been able to add LGBTQ human characters. Maybe it would have been able to do it if it went on. He has knows not what capcom would have thought about it

8  ) Someone asked about things that would happen in a Sonic x Starfox crossover. Says it would depend on who would be approved. First thing gag he can think of is the starfox characters going " where are your pants " and the sonic characters going " why are you wearing so many clothes " . Slippy and Tails would hang out. Sonic and Fox would get on alright, but he already has a " sonic " and his name is falco and fox might not wish to deal with two of em.

9) Sonic megadrive overdrive seems lost to time, but not never... just don't hold your breath.

10) The splash damage ability of the zombots is something he wishes to address later, stay tuned.

11) The other zeti are not gone or off limits . He shrugged . He doesn't know . He thought they would be , he doesn't know what's going on.

12) Other characters can't use other looks from other series. No boom amy outfit as a one off thing.

13)Folks were wondering why did they say the M.E was hidden, then almost immediately they find it and you can literally see it. Sega had notes and changed that story and how sonic works around halfway through which I suspected. Personal Note: I suspect the Angel Island can't travel through dimensions as people may have suspected.

14) Does not think that the criticism of issue 14 is wrong. Weird discourse came out of it about shadow's personality he likes.They joke about shadow and the sonic characters in general having inconsistent characters.  He wishes he could do something he had back in archie, but they don't want his character to be like that. So that's not where he is.

15)Will sonic actually deal with the notion that he kinda messed up the planet due to eggman leaving: Keep reading

16) Sonic does pay taxes because there is no such thing as money on sonic's world according to sega. 

17)Sticks got turned down appearing in the book , twice. Ian does not think she's off limits forever though. He doesn't know what the issue is.

18) Ian Flynn hates robo-relationships. No i'm joking, uh his continuity's kept getting thrown away everytime he shipped a robot with someone. He wanted espio and nicole to be  athing, people liked shard and nicole more. So he rolled with it

19)Where they left off in the old series, Sally and Nicole were not in love , YET. They had planted the seeds but uh, book died.

20)You are never gonna see buddy in the book. You cant define him enough and people got attached to their own buddy, just isn't worth messing with it. They exist somewhere in the world though.

21)Ian Flynn doesn't know when the arms comic is coming out. He wrote it, that's all he does.

22) NeoMetal Sonic could turn super because he framed it like mecha sonic turning super and they didn't mind. Doesn't know if he should have left it there, or go full on master overlord. Nicole being overclocked only worked because it wasn't a " super " form. They joke about it, it was a loop hole.

23) he hasn't been given any information on infinte. He assume that inifnite's age is 15-20 ish like most sonic characters. Aside from being the leader, he has no idea what relation he has to jackal squad.

24 ) don't think he will return to the slowburn style of story telling for sonic. He feels like a lot of Archie stories probably could have been much shorter. And upset that he wanted to do stuff and then book ended. Wants to approach IDW with a more fast pace action focused comic.

25)you will find out why whisper has the whisps she has, in the spin off book

26)If sega ever wanted him to write a game, he would love to. He probably wouldn't have the creative influence that he does with comic, he thinks.

27)Not gonna spoil anything for season 2 ( the question was about super sonic ) . Whisper likes poundcake. Tangle likes strawberries apparently? There was a question about a shadow arc, he didn't answer.

28)He doesn't feel like the retcon is much of a retcon with the two worlds thing. It was just never illustrated well. He doesn't know what the chaos emeralds are in terms of where they are from. They just hop from reality to reality , that's what he things.

29)Ian Flynn has read some of the star-wars extended universe. Didn't really of the new extended universe.

30)Jackal Squad is dead. Ripperoonie. Doesn't know if shadow killed them or just beat up some much they couldn't do anything. He doesn't know. The impression he got is that shadow killed them and why infinite has such an issue with shadow. They are off limits. Personal note: Which would explain the " I'm not weak thing " because he felt like he was too weak to save or avenge his friends. This is not communicated well in any media including these characters at all.

Ok Got to go be an adult for a bit. Will come back and finish later. Reminder this isn't all the questions a couple have been skipped due to them just not being that interesting. i'm at 48 minutes 13 seconds. Will come back to finish later

On 9/16/2019 at 7:01 PM, Your Vest Friend said:

It's explicitly stated that they're constantly broke because Vector keeps doing jobs pro-bono out of kindness. Like, that is actual canon. And I'm pretty sure SEGA lean on him being an ace detective given how much they throw him into that role in recent games. 

Anyway, to address some Q&A points, just two or three. 

1. I could have told you Sticks was dead at this point. Her appearance in the main series always seemed like a promotional thing (ala the Sonic X sign in SA:DX or Sonic Chronicles showing up in Mario and Sonic Vancouver), now that Boom is nigh dead they have no use for her any more. Callous, sure, but not unheard of for SEGA. 

2. The explanation for how Espio and Nicole got sidelined doesn't make sense with what happened, since Shard and Nicole didn't become a big thing until SU#50, after Espio and Nicole was already tossed aside. I still suspect it was scrapped due to SEGA cracking down harder around #235 and putting the kibosh on it.

3. Of course the other Zeti aren't dead. If Zazz is fine and dandy to use then it follows that they never killed any of them off. It's just that Zazz and Zavok are more recognisable. 

On 9/24/2019 at 4:45 PM, Shadowlax said:

Yall trying to decipher this , but ian flynn implied what the deal is in the recent bumblekast.

It just exists in animal world now, dont address stuff that contradicts the narrative they are doing now.

They are consistent with the rule, they are just retconning stuff to have happened on animal planet. Folks out here saying there's no soft reboot. But it kinda is

On 10/15/2019 at 9:03 AM, Marco9966 said:

I wish they would approve a Blaze miniseries, by listenning to Ian Flynn's enthusiasm about exploring the Sol dimension on his latest bumblekast. But SEGA wouldnt want origin stories to their official characters...

On 11/3/2019 at 2:42 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Ian said on the most recent Bumblekast that he considers the Central City from Adventure 2 and the Central City from Sonic Battle with Tails' house in it, two different cities.

Because more than one city can be called Central City. Kind of like how there's more than one London and more than one Paris.

He admits to playing a bit fast and loose with it but he's definitely trying his best to work out which areas go on which world and I really wish he didn't have to. 

Not only is SEGA/Sonic Team not going to utilize it (like they haven't up until now) but Ian's keeping it on the down low until he feels confident exploring the two worlds thing might be a viable, safe thing to do. Which may never happen honestly. 

On 12/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, DabigRG said:

Here's a nice question for the Bumblekast: What would happen if Tangle for part of her tail cut off? 

Also,

Reveal hidden contents

I know it's unlikely, but what are the chances of Tails being replaced at some point?

On 1/5/2020 at 7:05 PM, DabigRG said:

So coming off Bumblekast #104,

• Rough & Tumble will return eventually and we will learn what happened to the latter's tail and maybe their basic history at some point, but they are less likely to get something like a miniseries due to not being conceived as more than in-between baddies and being less accepted compared to the others.
  • SEGA is less keen about certain types of animals being made into characters, namely insects and larger beasts like elephants; when reminded that they approved Jewel, they simply replied that they did. 
    • Jewel is therefore a special case.
    • One of the Diamond Cutters was originally an insect, but got rejected.
  • Assumed there'd be some pushback on the Variable Wispon and Warp Topaz(which he avoided going into), but was surprised with how cool they were to them in to the point of adding ideas for the former.
  • Would like to do something more with the Wisps at some point and acknowledged how odd it is that something as pivotal as the Mother Wisp is reserved for the DS version.
  • Doesn't pitch overall story ideas until the previous is in their final approvals, so what comes next isn't necessarily set in stone all the time.
  • Apparently went into Maw's powers in the previous episodes.

On 1/6/2020 at 3:53 PM, Marco9966 said:

BUMBLEKAST UPDATE:

Ian Flynn removed Blaze from the original Metal Virus pre-production because her powers would kill the zombots (and the victims themselves).

I again would prefer we get rid of Silver and Blaze because her appearance in arc 1 is rendered pointless now!

On 1/7/2020 at 8:31 PM, DabigRG said:

Duh foq?! First I'm hearing of it.

I generally listen to Bumblekast while either playing a game or rarely while doing something like writing or driving, so I not really that up to date.

That is interesting as it is concerning, though.

Edited by Strickerx5
Wrapping this in on giant spoiler. Please don't quote this much with so little context or actual text from yourself again.

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

No friends only darkness

They've come to bask again

Just not with each other

This doesn't track with anything we've seen in the series so far. Heck, I don't even think it tracks with IDW. If Shadow and Rouge aren't friends, and they aren't coworkers (because GUN doesn't exist), the heck are they?

4 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

This doesn't track with anything we've seen in the series so far. Heck, I don't even think it tracks with IDW. If Shadow and Rouge aren't friends, and they aren't coworkers (because GUN doesn't exist), the heck are they?

I feel like this was a question months ago. As in, not long after this comic debuted.

That is indeed a question that needs to asked to SEGA, however.

22 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Nostalgic reference to bring in viewers. But they very much want shadow alone and don't care for the other two. I said it before and I said it again. Sonic boom was more indicative of what they wanted to do with the franchise than some realize.

Shadow was a lone wolf, rouge and omega didn't exist

Shadow and Omega are Rouge's horrible, adopted sons.

Fight me, Sega.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 5

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Shadow and Omega are Rouge's horrible, adopted sons.

Fight me, Sega.

I personally think Who adopts who depends on the situation

I can totally see situation where rouge finna clean a place out and he just pulls her away by her ear like misty and brock. Or situational where shadow and rouge are having an argument and omega tells them to shut up. Whoever gets the parent depends on the day. But they all like eachother, or romantic depending on what you ship.

I think the overall point is, a lot of people at this point are willing to fight sega for custody of shadow at this point.

I tend to see Rouge as more likely to rein Shadow in than vice-versa, at least based on how Ian's written them and stuff like Heroes. Though, true, they do display varying levels of responsibility depending on the situation, but Shadow has a tendency to be kind of childish and obstinate that it's funnier for me to see Rouge as the parent (even if she's probably a bad parent).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

I tend to see Rouge as more likely to rein Shadow in than vice-versa, at least based on how Ian's written them and stuff like Heroes. Though, true, they do display varying levels of responsibility depending on the situation, but Shadow has a tendency to be kind of childish and obstinate that it's funnier for me to see Rouge as the parent (even if she's probably a bad parent).

Fair enough

I'm fond of the both having issues and they both help each other. That's kind what I think makes that friendship work. Either way though, both our opinions are better than...whatever the fuck sega is thinking. I just.. I can't

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

I mean, Ian's said this before already. It was talked about at length back then too and I saw fit to just ignore it. It directly contradicts what Sonic Team has shown us and until they decide to show otherwise, it'll be something I continue to ignore.

Its just like how they say there's no money despite that contradicting the entire existance and motivation of the Chaotix.

Vector makes mention of money in TSR, which is only a year old. He makes mention of payment within the IDW book which had to be approved by the people in charge at SEGA. 

Actual dollar signs appear in Vector and Charmy's eyes in the very first cutscene I ever saw of them.

They say this stuff but they never enforce it or provide evidence within their material to support it so there's really no harm in ignoring it until they do.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

Teammates, as long as it benefits Shadow.

This new personality SEGA wants him to have sucks, why do they think this is a good idea?

17 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Flynn will lampshade it. I just know it. He won't be able to resist.

(but yes, I noticed and it is a little silly)

Kinda wish last few issue took place on different parts of  Angel Island in more iconic zones, but I guess that would require too much changes to the plot.

Yeah, I want to see Launch Base or Lava Reef and not just the Angel Island area or Master Emerald Shrine. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I mean, Ian's said this before already. It was talked about at length back then too and I saw fit to just ignore it. It directly contradicts what Sonic Team has shown us and until they decide to show otherwise, it'll be something I continue to ignore.

Its just like how they say there's no money despite that contradicting the entire existance and motivation of the Chaotix.

Vector makes mention of money in TSR, which is only a year old. He makes mention of payment within the IDW book which had to be approved by the people in charge at SEGA. 

Actual dollar signs appear in Vector and Charmy's eyes in the very first cutscene I ever saw of them.

They say this stuff but they never enforce it or provide evidence within their material to support it so there's really no harm in ignoring it until they do.

Maybe they only need money when they're on the human world.

3 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

This doesn't track with anything we've seen in the series so far.

As much as I hate to say it I don't think that's true. Shadow and Rouge worked together (indeed, the whole "Team Dark isn't real" thing is baffling) but they were never particularly friendly as far as I can remember. In the games, that is.

Not saying it's not a bad call because I think it'd be a good idea for them to have, uh, a dynamic. (This comes back to the problem they've had this whole time where characters that aren't "Sonic and ____" don't meaningfully interact much, but I digress.) Shadow listens to Rouge when she tells him to do or not do something (usually), which is more respect than he usually shows anyone else in the cast...but otherwise he more or less ignores her despite her showing concern for him on occasion, etc. So in that sense it's always felt kind of one sided to me?

In fact I think Ian's take in Archie (and how fans have seen it basically forever) makes sense and works well because it fixes that last bit, he actually talks to Rouge instead of being all "..." all the time.

Also for the record I'm thinking of main games here which are probably more on SEGA's mind when they tell Ian and others these things. Stuff like Battle is funny because you have [what probably shouldn't be] absolutely monumental occasions like Shadow thanking Rouge for saving him at one point. lol

2020 Annual preview is up, featuring the familiar combined forces of Ian Flynn, Jon Gray, and Big the Cat!

Love the nod to Big's theme.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 6/19/2020 at 2:09 PM, Shadowlax said:

I thought this arc had cream in it? Did the description change?

I'm curious whats the difference between legal and b illegal in this case

On 6/19/2020 at 2:37 PM, Zaysho said:

Probably opens with Sonic and Tails and then Cream, Shadow, and Rouge take over afterward.

I saw this in passing, but didn't comment on it. I'm assuming it's referring to a different solicit than the one/news we had previously 

I'm gonna assume it's still gonna be IDW still sticking with the one story per issue rather than backups and thus, we'll probably have cutaways to Shadow, Rouge, and Cream's side of the races. Unless they're outright along for the ride and then go about their little aside.

15 hours ago, LukA8 said:

Honestly, this issue just reminds me the Deadly Six could've been more interesting and fleshed out if they were a smaller group of say, 3 or 4 baddies. The games only keep using Zavok, Zazz and Zeena anyway (there was an unused voice line for her in Tokyo 2020) while the rest only had a miniscule cameo in Runners. There isn't enough space to focus on each one individually, and just like the Koopalings I don't see any noteworthy dynamic here that makes them stand out when they do appear as a group - they never even touched on the Deadly Sins concept, and I don't think anyone would be thrilled about two D6 teams in a hypothetical TSR sequel.

I recall this being a question in the unanswered thread. But yeah, I think the main reason they went with six is because of the hex motif and because it's seemingly an uncommon number for these things, though you can tell they started to stretch with the Filler Two.

Didn't know about Zeena being in Tokyo, although I only saw glimpses and skims of that game.

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

They issue with ignoring it, is that they are as of currently enforcing it. IIzuka say wild shit all the time I just ignore because its clear it means nothing, shadow just did a full time stop chaos control with no emerald in the last game. But this restrictive and kinda lame so people are a bit peeved.

That money thing def weirds me out though, then why do we use rings as currency in multiple games?

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

That money thing def weirds me out though, then why do we use rings as currency in multiple games?

Could say that's just a gameplay feature.

8 minutes ago, Celestia said:

As much as I hate to say it I don't think that's true. Shadow and Rouge worked together (indeed, the whole "Team Dark isn't real" thing is baffling) but they were never particularly friendly as far as I can remember. In the games, that is.

Not saying it's not a bad call because I think it'd be a good idea for them to have, uh, a dynamic. (This comes back to the problem they've had this whole time where characters that aren't "Sonic and ____" don't meaningfully interact much, but I digress.) Shadow listens to Rouge when she tells him to do or not do something (usually), which is more respect than he usually shows anyone else in the cast...but otherwise he more or less ignores her despite her showing concern for him on occasion, etc. So in that sense it's always felt kind of one sided to me?

In fact I think Ian's take in Archie (and how fans have seen it basically forever) makes sense and works well because it fixes that last bit, he actually talks to Rouge instead of being all "..." all the time.

Also for the record I'm thinking of main games here which are probably more on SEGA's mind when they tell Ian and others these things. Stuff like Battle is funny because you have [what probably shouldn't be] absolutely monumental occasions like Shadow thanking Rouge for saving him at one point. lol

I would argue in the main games it doesn't make any sense because that entire narrative through line caps off with 06 the game where rouge depending on how you wish to interpret a line almost admits romantic inclinations, they are very much friends and help and save one another and that's kind of the point of the entire thing. I can get with team dark isn't real, yeah sure whatever. Shadow's a lonely introvert who isn't a people person and maybe they wanna retcon gun, i'm ok with both of those things and actively advocate the latter. But to remove the clear friendship these three have that makes all of them more interesting kind of seems like missing an entire point. 

All that said I guess they just want shadow to be alone so they can use him and don't really care about the other two. So here we are.

Its whatever i guess all I can do is wait and see what happens at this point.