Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Nicole needs her Holo-Lynx form to hold hands with her gf.

Anyway, here is a yesterday's livestream with Ian and an IDW editor I think:

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/2/2020 at 7:54 PM, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

There’s not that much to change with Nicole beyond her, if you ask me. She’s already had two or even three completely separate origins, but she still remained a sentient computer/AI that was always loyal and friendly. 

On 7/2/2020 at 9:09 PM, KoDaiko said:

Also, totally forgot about Nicole. I'm pretty sure they won't use the whole holo-lynx thing.

22 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I don’t see why they wouldn’t use the holo-lynx unless they have something else to compensate for it.

20 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Idk I think Sega would be fine with a sentient AI (there's several of them in game), but having the ability to create a physical hologram of a regular mobian lynx that can also touch & feel sounds a bit far. But then we have more bizzare things in the game, I guess?

I'd imagine the game would go for a robot, AI in the ship the FF uses, or a handheld like the original cartoon. 

Her HoloLynx form was the brainchild of Tania del Rio, who was still working at Archie whent the reboot happened. By that same logic, however, that aspect of her is very much an Archie concept and thus would probably be considered non-compliant for IDW.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:54 PM, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I sort of forgot about Dulcy since she was made separate from the FF come the reboot, but I’d love to see how they’d reuse her if they had the chance.

She wasn't a core member and just sorta showed up to a number of people's chagrin, so it sorta made sense to keep/make her a separate branch. Well that and her being a dragon was a potential powerscaling issue even with the retooling of her character.

I do know that her arc in the Reboot would've had to do with fate, which kinda lines up with Mr. Flynn's thoughts on adding mythical creatures now. 

Oh sorry, I thought the talk was more about difference in origin/amount of lore so I got confused why the IDW characters were mentioned. Especially since Lanolin is a cameo OC.

I didn't know those process details, so thank you for that!

I mean that's sorta part of it, so it was relevant to the concern.

You're welcome!

True. I think there's zero to little chance that they will actually make it in....Even if Ian tried his best to make their personality/lore more streamlined, post-reboot Archie is still different from the games. And a lot of what makes them stand out is stemmed from the unique concept and worldbuilding the comic had. But it's still interesting to hear what people think is the FF's core/spirit. Whenever the topic is brought up, I wonder "How much can Sega change until those fans thinks it's not the FFs anymore?" 

That is an intriguing question to think about, as they very much changed throughout the comic and even in the process of SatAM getting to air.

20 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Unrelated, but apparently Ian participated in one of the official Sonic Livestreams yesterday? I remember someone tweeting they'd be doing some Q&A, I hope someone was able to take notes...

I might give it a listen eventually. 

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Her HoloLynx form was the brainchild of Tania del Rio, who was still working at Archie whent the reboot happened. By that same logic, however, that aspect of her is very much an Archie concept and thus would probably be considered non-compliant for IDW.

That one aspect they need to pull the stick out of their ass over if that’s the case. And by “they”, I mean Sega—I’d bet IDW would keep that part of Nicole intact if they had the chance.

3 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

That one aspect they need to pull the stick out of their ass over if that’s the case. And by “they”, I mean Sega—I’d bet IDW would keep that part of Nicole intact if they had the chance.

Oh, definitely--Lynx Nicole was pretty popular from my understanding

IT'S A BIRD

IT'S A PLANE

IT'S...actually I think I was right first time.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Your Vest Friend said:

IT'S A BIRD

IT'S A PLANE

IT'S...actually I think I was right first time.

DJ 0wl, I presume?

Got a few more preview pages

Spoiler

EcSoffHVcAAP7yR?format=jpg&name=mediumEcSof8NUEAAhdNa?format=jpg&name=medium

I wasn't aware that Big's eyes glow in the dark...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Hide contents

Oh yes, they do--he is a cat after all. Remember the cutscene after Sand Hill?

Dub does a pretty good job interpreting the characters, although his Ducktales is trying to show with Starline. Love how he included Knuckles too.

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Hide contents

Those are Rough and Tumble

• Way Past Cool 1

52 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Those are Rough and Tumble

Notice that Big's eyes are glowing in that first page

Read the Annual at 3 AM today... my heart. I wasn't ready for Bigs story, or Nite the Owl. Reflections is also an interesting piece.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Anyone feel like some of these stories were a bit too short?

A little bit. It was an issue I had with the 2019 annual, and that only had 5 stories instead of 6. In terms of page count:

Spoiler

[2019] Bonds of Friendship: 12 pages

[2019] Jet Set Tornado: 8 pages

[2019] Victory Garden: 6 pages

[2019] Curse of the Pyramid: 8 pages

[2019] Sonic Fan Club: 6 pages

[2020] Big's Big Adventure: 10 pages

[2020] Nite the Owl in Darkest Hour: 6 pages

[2020] Metal Sonic in Reflections: 6 pages

[2020] Dr Starline in Eggman's Day Off: 6 pages

[2020] The Chaotix in Flock Together: 6 pages

[2020] Jewel the Beetle in The Catalyst: 6 pages

I liked this annual, perhaps a tiny bit more than the previous annual personally. I think making the annual essentially a companion piece to the Zombot arc was a smart move, at it makes most of the stories feel quite impactful, and arguably means the limited page time is less of an issue when basing it on a situation established in the main book.

I like Big's story, I suppose in a way it is perhaps meant to help readers who aren't really caught up with the Zombot arc as Big (unknowingly) basically summasises how the world has gone to hell. Nite the Owl and Don the Rooster is a nice little side story. The fact Evan Stanley wrote it and did the art does make me wonder if she has plans for these two to show up again in the future.

Reflections is a nice little artsy one. I think the strength of a short story collection is the ability to slip in a offbeat or experiemental story. I'd like each annual to do something like this. The Eggman and Starline story is a nice little comedy piece, probably needed considering how downbeat the rest of the stories are, and it is nice to see one last interaction with this pair before Starline runs off to do his own thing.

The last 2 stories are interesting because in many ways, they seem to partly exist to fill in events that happened off screen, with the Chaotix getting Charmy, and Jewel and her town falling to the metal virus. I don't think we needed to see either event happen, but I suppose it does help flesh things out, with the Chaotix bond being even more evident, and getting to see Jewel out on her own. I actually kind of hope that this event with Jewel perhaps sees her become a bit more proactive with Tangle and Whisper, making her a proper third team member.

So yeah, I enjoyed it. But saying that though, especially since I think the 2021 is probably going to be more like the 2019 annual, in terms of it just being individual stories, I can't say I wouldn't mind cutting 1 or 2 stories. With 40 pages available, there is a part of me that thinks maybe the 2021 annual should be four 10 pages stories, or maybe two 12 page stories and two 8 page stories. But I do like the variety.

Think it is also worth pointing out that of the 6 stories in this annual, each one was written by a different writer, and the last 3 were written by writers who havn't touched Sonic before. Alwas nice to see some new talent on the book.

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog:_Annual_2020#Annuals

10 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

A little bit. It was an issue I had with the 2019 annual, and that only had 5 stories instead of 6. In terms of page count:

Hide contents

[2019] Bonds of Friendship: 12 pages

[2019] Jet Set Tornado: 8 pages

[2019] Victory Garden: 6 pages

[2019] Curse of the Pyramid: 8 pages

[2019] Sonic Fan Club: 6 pages

[2020] Big's Big Adventure: 10 pages

[2020] Nite the Owl in Darkest Hour: 6 pages

[2020] Metal Sonic in Reflections: 6 pages

[2020] Dr Starline in Eggman's Day Off: 6 pages

[2020] The Chaotix in Flock Together: 6 pages

[2020] Jewel the Beetle in The Catalyst: 6 pages

I liked this annual, perhaps a tiny bit more than the previous annual personally. I think making the annual essentially a companion piece to the Zombot arc was a smart move, at it makes most of the stories feel quite impactful, and arguably means the limited page time is less of an issue when basing it on a situation established in the main book.

Hm. Interesting.

Having seen that, I suppose that explains it: there were only five stories with only 2 being 6 pages, compared to this one where all but one are a matching 6 pages. That would do in part to explain why I feel/recall those stories being more satisfying. That and, as I somewhat don't wanna say, they did feel like they just had more to tell in the first annual compared to this one?

Like, its telling that the one story with the most pages is a Big story where he's just wandering about most of the part issues/locations. In fact, of the six stories, I feel the unexpected one with Nite and the one with the Chaotix are the most successful. 

Nite the Owl and Don the Rooster is a nice little side story. The fact Evan Stanley wrote it and did the art does make me wonder if she has plans for these two to show up again in the future.

I just got the joke with their names. 😐 

The last 2 stories are interesting because in many ways, they seem to partly exist to fill in events that happened off screen, with the Chaotix getting Charmy, and Jewel and her town falling to the metal virus. I don't think we needed to see either event happen, but I suppose it does help flesh things out, with the Chaotix bond being even more evident, and getting to see Jewel out on her own. I actually kind of hope that this event with Jewel perhaps sees her become a bit more proactive with Tangle and Whisper, making her a proper third team member.

Yeah, they do have that going about them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tracy Yardley showed off his process for the Annual Cover

EccBogSXgAEhdl2?format=jpg&name=largeEccBogeXkAMSdUg?format=jpg&name=largeEccBogtX0AAx8so?format=jpg&name=largeEccBog5WAAA18_L?format=jpg&name=large

Here are my process steps for the 2020 Sonic Annual from @IDWPublishing. Pencil, ink, flat color and finished color.

We also have some art of the characters from the Annual (Spoiler'd for those who haven't read it yet)

Spoiler

Ecb0CHIUEAAMNTP?format=jpg&name=small

Evan Stanley: The Sonic Annual's out now, so here's the design sketches for the two characters from my story; Nite the Owl and Don the Rooster!

My goal with their story was to tell a story that felt a lot more grounded than usual, and introduce some more minor supporting characters to the comic's world. They're specifically intended for information delivering and "quest-giving" uses, to widen plot hook opportunities!

Visual design-wise, Nite came first and is quite clearly riffing off of Old Man Owl, then Don was created based on creating contrast in opposites (and my love of chickens). The nods to Vector's sense of style aren't accidental either, and I hope to expand on that eventually!

Also, ten gold rings to anybody who can guess which internet/entertainment personality Nite is also inspired by!

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

We also have some art of the characters from the Annual (Spoiler'd for those who haven't read it yet)

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

What's this?
A male Sonic character wearing

LOWER BODY COVERINGS?

BLASPHEMY!

(either that, or he's got a different body color)

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:
  Hide contents

What's this?
A male Sonic character wearing

LOWER BODY COVERINGS?

BLASPHEMY!

(either that, or he's got a different body color)

Spoiler

Its just a tool belt. Technically not clothing an not entirely unprecedented. (Big rocks that flotation belt). 

34 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Hide contents

Its just a tool belt. Technically not clothing an not entirely unprecedented. (Big rocks that flotation belt). 

Spoiler

No, I mean he appears to be wearing a black bodysuit.  

Unless that's actually his body color, which would be strange, considering his head and tail are purple.

EDIT: IIRC, bodysuits are an option for males in Forces, so that's MAYBE how they got it by, if that is the case.

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Ah, looks like a rooster. I kind of dig the design. 

Hardlight's update got me back in the IDW mood so time to for me to order up more issues. Is the zombie apocalypses still on? 

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:
  Hide contents

No, I mean he appears to be wearing a black bodysuit.  

Unless that's actually his body color, which would be strange, considering his head and tail are purple.

EDIT: IIRC, bodysuits are an option for males in Forces, so that's MAYBE how they got it by, if that is the case.

Spoiler

His chest hair is sticking out, so I'm inclined to believe that is just his body color 

(although, if you want to haggle, Wave's chest floof is a debate topic that rages to this day, so you could make the argument for a bodysuit...)

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Well, that could be a scarf or something.

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:
  Reveal hidden contents

His chest hair is sticking out, so I'm inclined to believe that is just his body color 

(although, if you want to haggle, Wave's chest floof is a debate topic that rages to this day, so you could make the argument for a bodysuit...)

I'm actually glad they introduced male characters who aren't villains, it's a first in IDW. lol

I read it yesterday and...

Spoiler

My God, it's so scary, creepy, depressing, everything is. It's definitely not Sonic's Worlds daily life, it's how the world is affected by the pandemic... how relevant.

I didn't expect Big's story to be so sad. Takes my top spot

Metal's one is actually great, it's up to interpretation. 2nd place.

Third one is the Chaotix, they really do stick together!

The rest... I didn't care much tbh. The OCs are fun but still, don't care much, same for Jewel and the club, it's really side stories who don't mean much, aren't really interesting or needed for anything.

But the one I'm mad the most is Starline's story... you had Dr. Starline and you didn't do any teasing for his mini, which I'm waiting for... what a waste.

I can't believe I'm saying this about a Sonic story but this arc is really too much for me, in general, don't get me wrong, it's really well written, well made, there is A LOT of pathos and emotion, but it's so dark, I really don't want this for Sonic. Not what I personally want, so who asked for this stuff?

2 hours ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

Not what I personally want, so who asked for this stuff?

This isn't ironic...

• Thumbs Up 3