Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

48 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

So Evan Stanley answered a bunch of questions about the comic on twitter today. From what I saw, nothing too important aside from Rivals apparently not being canon to the comics. (How'd they meet Silver?) 

Can you point me to where she said this?

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff, same as any other occasion a franchise goes off the rails with its time travel.

It was a little weird to me at first but you gotta remember that this series is very heavily inspired by the games but it's not meant to be 1:1. They could probably write in a new story where they meet Silver if they ever start fleshing out past events.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't think the games even care about when/where the characters met Silver, at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have more blaze questions than silver

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

I don't think the games even care about when/where the characters met Silver, at this point.

yep.

11 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I mean, if Rivals didn't come to Japan...then yeah, that's always been the case.

• Nice Smile 1

Well I'm peeved. I liked story of Rivals 2.

...I'm half-serious. When Rivals 1 was just main 4 competing in out-jerking each other, sequel managed to squeeze few cute character moments. Shadow and his strange friendship with Metal. Silver acting like crazy chao-collecting hobo. Rouge tricking Knuckles (FOR THE FIRST TIME IN GAMES. Took them a while). Even when Rouge fought against Shadow it felt kinda nice. I mean, they friends-for-live but she's also a manipulative thief. You gotta respect that.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I mean, if Rivals didn't come to Japan...then yeah, that's always been the case.

Which is weird, since that is what reintroduces Silver and reveals that Dr Nega is from the future, which is canon and probably due to the Japan side's intervention.

Remember that Sonic is ironically not as big a thing in Japan than he is in the West, and hardly has been.

Not trying to dismiss people’s points, just adding more to the context.

Convention covers since SDCC is coming-

Spoiler

Ec5kNRdWoAMP6u8?format=jpg&name=900x900

SUPER SILVER MOTHERFUDGERS

EDIT # 573: Yeah the funko pops revealed back in June were kinda foreshadowing this weren't they-

Ec5swI0UcAIDOBj?format=jpg&name=medium

Ec5kCV2XYAASBi0?format=jpg&name=900x900

Also Tangle and Whisper 1 is getting a re release.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Way Past Cool 1

39 minutes ago, Stay at Home Ultima said:

Convention covers since SDCC is coming-

Hide contents

Ec5kNRdWoAMP6u8?format=jpg&name=900x900

SUPER SILVER MOTHERFUDGERS

EDIT # 573: Yeah the funko pops revealed back in June were kinda foreshadowing this weren't they-

Ec5swI0UcAIDOBj?format=jpg&name=medium

Ec5kCV2XYAASBi0?format=jpg&name=900x900

Also Tangle and Whisper 1 is getting a re release.

Ooh, like the greenish tint on him. Makes sense and also that Funko pop looks kinda bad.

• Nice Smile 1

Thought he'd never show up again.. now I wish I hadn't opened that spoiler, but I guess that there weren't many others ways it could turn out

21 hours ago, Diogenes said:

It feels like SEGA/Sonic Team just don't give a damn about worldbuilding anymore beyond the absolute bare minimum to set up a new game's plot. Forces is probably the apex of Sonic Team's laziness when it comes to this sort of thing nowadays - the premise had a lot of potential, but they did absolutely nothing interesting with it beyond perhaps Shadow accidentally creating a major antagonist due to the jackal who would become Infinite being an enemy in a routine mission. The fact that Flynn and co. actually salvaged the post-Forces status quo into something worth reading is nothing short of a miracle considering the garbage fire of material they had to continue from.

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Which is weird, since that is what reintroduces Silver and reveals that Dr Nega is from the future, which is canon and probably due to the Japan side's intervention.

Which still doesn't make a goddamn bit of sense, by the way. Eggman Nega as some weird psychotic alternate universe counterpart of Eggman (which was clearly the original intent for the character) I could easily accept, because, well, that sort of thing is makes sense for alternate universe stuff and is a staple trope of alternate universe shenanigans, but Nega being his descendant is a significantly greater leap of logic that isn't given the time or effort to justify itself.

It really just feels like a half-assed means of justifying Silver showing up, really, which is infuriating, because Nega is supposed to be Blaze's nemesis. Which seems to be a moot point, though, since Nega apparently has legal issues surrounding him that makes it difficult for anyone to use him again, but that's not surprising since Sega is absolutely terrible at getting their ducks in a row when it comes to securing to rights to rights for stuff related to Sonic (this was a problem even before Penders started his temper tantrum - for example, Sega never properly secured the rights for the OVA material, which caused problems when the Archie comics referenced it).

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Candescence said:

Which still doesn't make a goddamn bit of sense, by the way. Eggman Nega as some weird psychotic alternate universe counterpart of Eggman (which was clearly the original intent for the character) I could easily accept, because, well, that sort of thing is makes sense for alternate universe stuff and is a staple trope of alternate universe shenanigans, but Nega being his descendant is a significantly greater leap of logic that isn't given the time or effort to justify itself.

It really just feels like a half-assed means of justifying Silver showing up, really, which is infuriating, because Nega is supposed to be Blaze's nemesis.

Until you realize he's an alternate doppleganger whereas Blaze and Marine(Sonic & Tails) are very much their own character designs anyway.

I seem to recall the developers having stated that that was primarily just there to attach a feeling of mystery behind the camera & it's origins, but given that Mr. Iuzuka confirmed that as his origin despite the game being America only and there being concept art of a young scientist character for Rivals 1, I'm pretty sure that was Sonic Team's doing.

Have you seen this? It was Climax’s original design for Eggman’s descendant in the future before Sega convinced them to use Nega in the role instead. Reply: I’ll give this design points for not being a recolour, but at the same time, he looks like...

Honestly, I'm fine with it, especially since his character a somewhat more interesting existence than before. And it even gives a kinda neat little character arc throughout the two side games if the continuity was a little tighter.

Which seems to be a moot point, though, since Nega apparently has legal issues surrounding him that makes it difficult for anyone to use him again, but that's not surprising since Sega is absolutely terrible at getting their ducks in a row when it comes to securing to rights to rights for stuff related to Sonic.

Wait, is there?

Because 1. I thought that was just within Archie like a number of other characters introduced around the time and 2. he shows up in the Olympics with no issues, even apparently being a notable figure in the latest one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally I like the idea of Dr. Eggman Nega as this sort of greater scope villain. I honestly don't think they even say in Rush that he's from Blaze's world just that he was terrorizing it.

Honestly I always liked the Archie version where he was planning some kind of Multiverse spanning plot that got the Zone Cops on his tail and started a straight up war. I kinda wish they had been able to do more with that.

Honestly I always got the thought he was the only version of himself in all the Multiverse and was out to "correct realities mistake" by destroying most of the Multiverse or trying to fuse them all together. Obviously that's total fanfiction but there's still so much potential for Nega to be a genuinely threatening villain.  

e2b4877024d05187901bf7790dac6824fce268d3

58 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Personally I like the idea of Dr. Eggman Nega as this sort of greater scope villain. I honestly don't think they even say in Rush that he's from Blaze's world just that he was terrorizing it.

Honestly I always liked the Archie version where he was planning some kind of Multiverse spanning plot that got the Zone Cops on his tail and started a straight up war. I kinda wish they had been able to do more with that.

Honestly I always got the thought he was the only version of himself in all the Multiverse and was out to "correct realities mistake" by destroying most of the Multiverse or trying to fuse them all together. Obviously that's total fanfiction but there's still so much potential for Nega to be a genuinely threatening villain.  

The closest they get that I can remember is "my world and Dr. Eggman's world are linked" and "I don't care what happens to our world."

But yeah, Archie as well as the final boss theme of Rush makes him seem a lot more sinister than he tends to be, especially once they changed his voice in the Olympics. Wonder what the endgame for him was intended to be, considering the robot just made Captain Metal the end point.

Btw, I found that concept art!

49 minutes ago, bingboomer said:

You know the cover was spoiled for a reason, right?

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

You know the cover was spoiled for a reason, right?

oh man. whoops. a major apology to all. i was just so happy and excited that supersonic was returning. my deepest apologies

6 hours ago, Candescence said:

It really just feels like a half-assed means of justifying Silver showing up, really, which is infuriating, because Nega is supposed to be Blaze's nemesis. Which seems to be a moot point, though, since Nega apparently has legal issues surrounding him that makes it difficult for anyone to use him again, but that's not surprising since Sega is absolutely terrible at getting their ducks in a row when it comes to securing to rights to rights for stuff related to Sonic (this was a problem even before Penders started his temper tantrum - for example, Sega never properly secured the rights for the OVA material, which caused problems when the Archie comics referenced it).

If I'm remembering right, it isn't about rights. SEGA just doesn't want him to be used because of reasons that have never been said.

• Thumbs Up 4