Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

There aren't supposed to be any humans on animal planet besides Eggman IIRC. Most likely explanation is that Angel Island can easily jump between worlds somehow.

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

The humans are not required for Sa1's story to function

Sega says no.

5 hours ago, Slashy said:

Station Square is a human settlement in Sonic's World.

You see? This is what I'm talking about. By introducing this ridiculous 'two worlds' thing, there contradicting their own games! Retcon after retocn after retcon, causing nothing but confusion, and making fans have to guess to what and how things even work.

Bad writing at it's finest...

Wait a second.

Station Square in on Earth.

Echidna Ruins are on Mobius

but that means...

image.jpeg.2daa76fb2b7a6b6463a4e8012fba3fb1.jpeg

Oh my god, portal between Two Worlds is magic train from Shazam.

• Chuckle 3

8 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Wait a second.

but that means...

As good an explanation as we'd ever get from Sega, the way they write nowadays lol XD

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Wait a second.

but that means...

Turns out the chaos emeralds true power is public transportation.
Powerful indeed.

1 hour ago, A Random Villager said:

You see? This is what I'm talking about. By introducing this ridiculous 'two worlds' thing, there contradicting their own games! Retcon after retocn after retcon, causing nothing but confusion, and making fans have to guess to what and how things even work.

Bad writing at it's finest...

I don't think retconning things or rebooting shit is inherently bad.

I do think retconning things things for the sake of the vague notion of a "brand" that contradicts old things without even bothering to understand why people liked that stuff and making some of the things you reconnected unlikable because you didn't actually bother investigating why people liked your product ( on a non game play thematic level) and the trudging a long anyway like eventually you will be validated instead of you just running a franchise with potential to be bigger than it already is into the ground because you want to tell the audience what they want. That's bad.

I don't think two worlds is inherently bad, a bit confusing , but not that bad. The context around it , is bad yeah

35 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Turns out the chaos emeralds true power is public transportation.
Powerful indeed.

I don't think retconning things or rebooting shit is inherently bad.

I do think retconning things things for the sake of the vague notion of a "brand" that contradicts old things without even bothering to understand why people liked that stuff and making some of the things you reconnected unlikable because you didn't actually bother investigating why people liked your product ( on a non game play thematic level) and the trudging a long anyway like eventually you will be validated instead of you just running a franchise with potential to be bigger than it already is into the ground because you want to tell the audience what they want. That's bad.

I don't think two worlds is inherently bad, a bit confusing , but not that bad. The context around it , is bad yeah

Pretty much. This is why I think the retcon is stupid. There was absolutely zero need for one. It's like they just did it on on w him, without thinking about what people like about Sonic, aside from the gameplay. I loved the lore they had. Another world, filled with humans and anthros alike, living in a world filled with history. Now they just do whatever the heck they like. Who cares about the 20+ years of story writing they've done before. To the trash with it! (ARGH!)

Like you said, not all retcons are bad. Some are good, or needed. This however, was not!

In Sonic X, Station Square was part of the human world and Mystic Ruins was part of Sonic's world that was temporarily transported over to the human world.

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Wait a second.

but that means...

I haven't seen Shazam but I am familiar with how Professor Cog and Scott Truman managed to travel from the RPM dimension to the main Power Rangers dimension in Clash of the Red Rangers so I'd say that's a similar idea.

Also this whole thing makes me kinda glad I've never really given a shit about the series lore. I don't really think it matters all that much since as a series Sonic is about the adventure not the deep lore surrounding it.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Okay, it's been enough time and there's nothing much going on here.

How do you think the villain alliance will play out and payoff?

There's no chance it lasts past the miniseries. Zavok will go back to the Hex, and the other guys will just be recurring villains.

Not sure what happened here, but I'll respond in a moment.

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

There's no chance it lasts past the miniseries. Zavok will go back to the Hex, and the other guys will just be recurring villains.

Yeah, that is rather obvious.

I was more asking about the takeaways of the miniseries, like character developments and motivations going forward.

13 minutes ago, Zulon Eredas said:

I hope we get more background info on Rough and Tumble. 

I wonder if they're in this in part because they didn't take off like Tangle and Whisper did and so wouldn't warrant a story of their own? Cause iirc, Tumble missing his tail is something that was mentioned when they were revealed shortly before the issue as something they could follow up on.

Hard to say really. Rough and Tumble will always be henchmen I imagine, although perhaps they could always be redeemed, or become more neutral characters. They're so goofy, I could imagine their is some room for them to be on the good side if the situation ever called for it.

Zavok, struggle to see what you can do with him beside send him back to the Lost Hex. Unlike most other Sonic characters, I struggle to think of what you can do with simple characters like the Deadly Six. If Flynn or other writers can think of a good use for him or the others in a story, good on them, but I certainly wouldn't be upset if they just went back to the Lost Hex and were basically written out of the comic.

Mimic is an interesting one. He is certainly the most pure evil, but I struggle to imagine him to be the type to ever have any kind of masterplan. Maybe winds up as a sort of villian for hire?

Dr Starline is definetly my main focus of the mini-series. I think he makes a great counterpoint to Dr Eggman, and when you think it, also a great counterpoint for Tails. I guess we still don't know too much about what the plot of Bad Guys is (well, unless it's been revealed in solicits but I don't really keep up with them), but I do hope it shows how capable, clever, and cunning Starline is. To me, I think Bad Guys should end in a way that makes me go: "Crap, now Sonic & friends not only have Eggman, but this guy to deal with. They're so screwed."

I dunno, I'm excited for this. You can just feel the world of IDW opening up on us.

EDIT: Idea for Mimic. How about after Bad Guys, Mimic disappears for a long while. Then BAM! It turns out he has been impersonating a character for a number of issues, and the real character is held captive by Eggman or Starline or whoever he works for?

9 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

EDIT: Idea for Mimic. How about after Bad Guys, Mimic disappears for a long while. Then BAM! It turns out he has been impersonating a character for a number of issues, and the real character is held captive by Eggman or Starline or whoever he works for?

Mimic is such a wildcard to me. 95 percent of the cast have yet to even meet the guy, and his transforming ability has too many devastating applications. As long as he steers clear of the likes of Whisper or Vector... and probably Espio and Tangle, he could get away with disguising himself as almost anyone and the heroes would be hard pressed to snuff him out. 

He could swap with Jewel and run the restoration into the ground. He could swap with Lanolin and be a background character in every major event, feeding intel to Eggman. He could swap with Nite and spew propaganda on the airwaves for a month. He could run into Silver as Silver and warn him about making bogus time-duplicates, driving him off on a wild goose chase. Heck, he could show up at the Master Emerald Alter as Tikal, just to  see how Knuckles would react. 

Too many possibilities, not enough counters. Tails should have put a tracker in his spine or something. He's going to be a problem. 

Mimic may not be much of a masterplan kinda guy (seems he's only in it to save his skin, or get some revenge) but he sure as heck can be an effective pawn in getting someone else that much closer. 

• Thumbs Up 3

So uh, we have two preview pages for IDW Sonic 32 even though issue 31 isn't out yet.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

So uh the Babylon Rouges are here and are gonna steal some gems.

No sign of Blaze and Sonic though....

• Thumbs Up 2

Apparently as part of the 30th Anniversary IDW is going to be doing a Classic Sonic special (or a Miniseries? The article I read was a little confusing) so that's pretty cool. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler
  • Amused Whisper keeps asking for orders. 
  • This is a good moment to make you realize how much OP Silver & Shadow is. 
  • Depends on where this is gonna go, but I'm surprised the characters are confused on what to do. Ian said (most of) the Sonic characters are "loose free agents", and most of them have gone through much already. If this was the Archie books I'm sure they would've immediately jumped up and given a hit. 

54 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Apparently as part of the 30th Anniversary IDW is going to be doing a Classic Sonic special (or a Miniseries? The article I read was a little confusing) so that's pretty cool. 

https://bleedingcool.com/games/sega-reveals-sonic-the-hedgehog-30th-anniversary-merch-collection/

Classic Sonic Comic Book Miniseries: For Sonic's 30th IDW Publishing will be releasing their first Classic Sonic adventure in a spectacular special! In addition, they will launch a new mini-series and continue publishing the wildly successful ongoing series in both the English and Spanish language.

It's worded a little weirdly but I assumed this was referring to the "Villains" mini or whatever they ended up calling that should be coming out next year I think. It sounds like the Classic Sonic book will be a one-off with likely more issues to come.

2 hours ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:

So uh, we have two preview pages for IDW Sonic 32 even though issue 31 isn't out yet.

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

In all honesty, I kind of just wish these were cooldown issues instead of just going straight into an action-packed epilogue.

Maybe it's just me, but we've just come off about 20 straight issues of action, and one of the darkest arcs out of IDW and Archie. All things considered, I would've preferred these two issues just took their time to breath, and show us everyone trying to deal with the fall-out of the near end of the world. Show us everyone trying to put their lives back together, show us what became of Starline or the Deadly Six, let this whole idea of Sonic losing his memory have time to breathe.

But instead, we're going straight back into another Eggman mech attack, and yeah - while it's cool that he's using Omega's head as the pilot for it, it's still not cool enough for me to say this is what I wanted directly after this arc.

At this point, I'm beginning to feel a bit burnt out of the heroes just jumping from crisis to crisis, and attack to attack. I can't wait til we get to the Chao issues if only because it'll provide a much welcome break from the near constant action.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/12/2020 at 10:57 PM, Silvereyes said:

Hard to say really. Rough and Tumble will always be henchmen I imagine, although perhaps they could always be redeemed, or become more neutral characters. They're so goofy, I could imagine their is some room for them to be on the good side if the situation ever called for it.

Hm...maybe. We are short of the Hooligans and it's not like they haven't cooperated with the Heroes before.

That said, they have relatively feral punk looks about them and their issue was written before the extensions of the Classic division were known, so I kinda doubt it. And they're really the only comic villains who can be played for laughs thus far, too.

Mimic is an interesting one. He is certainly the most pure evil, but I struggle to imagine him to be the type to ever have any kind of masterplan. Maybe winds up as a sort of villian for hire?

I mean, that's basically the only thing he can do besides hunting Whisper again.

Dr Starline is definetly my main focus of the mini-series. I think he makes a great counterpoint to Dr Eggman, and when you think it, also a great counterpoint for Tails. I guess we still don't know too much about what the plot of Bad Guys is (well, unless it's been revealed in solicits but I don't really keep up with them), but I do hope it shows how capable, clever, and cunning Starline is. To me, I think Bad Guys should end in a way that makes me go: "Crap, now Sonic & friends not only have Eggman, but this guy to deal with. They're so screwed."

I mean he basically is--this team up is seemingly happening purely because he's been tossed aside by Eggman and he's trying to convince the other villains that they can benefit from helping him seek out something.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:16 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

Mimic is such a wildcard to me. 95 percent of the cast have yet to even meet the guy, and his transforming ability has too many devastating applications. As long as he steers clear of the likes of Whisper or Vector... and probably Espio and Tangle, he could get away with disguising himself as almost anyone and the heroes would be hard pressed to snuff him out. 

He could swap with Jewel and run the restoration into the ground. He could swap with Lanolin and be a background character in every major event, feeding intel to Eggman. He could swap with Nite and spew propaganda on the airwaves for a month.

Heck, he could show up at the Master Emerald Alter as Tikal, just to  see how Knuckles would react. 

Too many possibilities, not enough counters. Tails should have put a tracker in his spine or something. He's going to be a problem. 

Mimic may not be much of a masterplan kinda guy (seems he's only in it to save his skin, or get some revenge) but he sure as heck can be an effective pawn in getting someone else that much closer. 

That's a very good point actually.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:16 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

He could run into Silver as Silver and warn him about making bogus time-duplicates, driving him off on a wild goose chase.

Kinda wish that'd happen. :lol: 

3 hours ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:

Hide contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

Vector looks a little unfinished there.

Guess that explains their missing posters.

57 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Hide contents
  • Amused Whisper keeps asking for orders. 
  • This is a good moment to make you realize how much OP Silver & Shadow is. 
  • Depends on where this is gonna go, but I'm surprised the characters are confused on what to do. Ian said (most of) the Sonic characters are "loose free agents", and most of them have gone through much already. If this was the Archie books I'm sure they would've immediately jumped up and given a hit. 

Spoiler

Before the Shadow Android incident, Whisper was the baby of her group and losing them caused her to just go around sniping Eggman's forces with seemingly little direction.

So it makes sense for her to defer to Amy/Jewel because that's what she's used to doing. None of the others have said anything yet.

Seems.....goofy. I mean i know they said that the story would be more light hearted than the zombot arc but having eggman drop in with a line like that just seems really silly? Like i know he had some quips last arc just that line seems a bit different? though im sure sonic will be back in a issue or 2 probably still not knowing who he is.

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

Hide contents
  •  

Spoiler

To be fair, Eggy's got something akin to a hostage in Omega here. It'd be hard to deal with the mech w/o first figuring out a way to save him.  Even in Archie, they would have likely debated a course of action for a few panels before leaning into pummeling... or they would have immediately deferred to Sally or Sonic lol 

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:
  Hide contents

Before the Shadow Android incident, Whisper was the baby of her group and losing them caused her to just go around sniping Eggman's forces with seemingly little direction.

So it makes sense for her to defer to Amy/Jewel because that's what she's used to doing. None of the others have said anything yet.

Spoiler

Idk if I'd call Whisper a baby (she's more of a middle child age-wise since it's Mimic > Smithy > Whisper > Slinger > Claire) but seeing how their team worked it makes sense she was more of a "I need someone to tell me what to do" type from the start. 

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:
Spoiler

To be fair, Eggy's got something akin to a hostage in Omega here. It'd be hard to deal with the mech w/o first figuring out a way to save him.  Even in Archie, they would have likely debated a course of action for a few panels before leaning into pummeling... or they would have immediately deferred to Sally or Sonic lol 

Spoiler

I did consider that, and I know we're only shown 1-2 pages, but I wasn't expecting them to be that intimidated. Also the mech is huge so I assumed it'd be easy to partially disarm/stop further destruction without hurting him.

I wonder if it's to suggest they need a team/leader to properly fight Eggman now? (hopefully not)

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Seems.....goofy. I mean i know they said that the story would be more light hearted than the zombot arc but having eggman drop in with a line like that just seems really silly? Like i know he had some quips last arc just that line seems a bit different? though im sure sonic will be back in a issue or 2 probably still not knowing who he is.

Well it is Eggman.

EDIT: Oh, you meant that first page! Yeah, that's kind of a Sonic Boom like right there.

Hide contents

Idk if I'd call Whisper a baby (she's more of a middle child age-wise since it's Mimic > Smithy > Whisper > Slinger > Claire) but seeing how their team worked it makes sense she was more of a "I need someone to tell me what to do" type from the start. 

Hide contents

I did consider that, and I know we're only shown 1-2 pages, but I wasn't expecting them to be that intimidated. Also the mech is huge so I assumed it'd be easy to partially disarm/stop further destruction without hurting him.

I wonder if it's to suggest they need a team/leader to properly fight Eggman now? (hopefully not)

Oh really? I didn't know that since I didn't really put much stock in learning each of the Diamond Cutter's names, admittedly. I'm just going off what I remember from the miniseries.

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Well it is Eggman.

Hide contents

Hide contents

Oh really? I didn't know that since I didn't really put much stock in learning each of the Diamond Cutter's names, admittedly. I'm just going off what I remember from the miniseries.