Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

More preview pages for #32:

Spoiler

b20adc95dd233f9d67360ddfbaa63d4f4da5da96 2a2af1a93c52ccdc10828747583abf7dffcf14c8 eff7ad4f2a08fd575451230838ae9ceadf97151d

So at first I thought she was gonna use the Sol Emeralds to restore his memory but then I remembered she sorta uses them for inter dimensional travel.

I kinda hope Amnesia!Sonic lasts for some more time for Year 3, as a side story while the Chao Races are going on.

• Thumbs Up 2

The bit with Rouge and the Rogues is great. I'd love to see more thief vs. thief stuff in the future.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, Wonderworld Ultima said:
Spoiler

I kinda hope Amnesia!Sonic lasts for some more time for Year 3, as a side story while the Chao Races are going on.

I'm surprised this wasn't something spoiled in solicits (as far as I know), so I'm expecting it to remain a part of an upcoming storyline for at least a few issues.

8 hours ago, Turtle Ranger CC14 said:

The bit with Rouge and the Rogues is great. I'd love to see more thief vs. thief stuff in the future.

A little pastiche of Spy vs. Spy would be hilarious, but works best in an annual.

It looks like issue 32 may have been delayed at the last moment again. Stores seem to have their physical copies delivered but several online places are now showing a release date of 30 September.

ETA: Yeah, looks like it’s delayed digitally while at least some people have been able to buy the physical copies at stores. This next week is gonna be fun for spoiler avoidance for the digital crew :/

On 9/21/2020 at 10:11 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

54b8eb1e67eb68f9bf89464d90d2dc0d3c2511e1

Pre-dates Team Rose.

Advance 3 came out in 2004, Heroes came out in 2003.

So I got the issue and read it this morning. So thoughts below.

Its very apparent now that the fear about the amnesia was very premature. This was very much the ending of a long stretch of story rather than the beginning of one.

This was definitely the least good of this short batch we've gotten. I understand the book end thing that was being attempted with Mr. Needlemouse but there wasn't enough time dedicated to it for it feel more poignant than what I suspect the book was going for.

There were still a lot of nice moments though. Vector taking charge made my heart soar with happiness. I love how Rouge just continues to carry herself. Even when I know what she's up to I can't help but wonder if there's more. It was funny and adorable seeing Charmy try to rip Omega out of the giant robot on his own. The group hug was nice.

I do hope that with things even less like what Forces was this next arc of goofball adventures can be as freeing and as expansive as Evan wishes. I do think Ian did a good job of making that open for her.

• Thumbs Up 4

Spoiler

Aw, Sonic did get his memory back? I was hoping Ian was leaving that as something for Evan to play with. 

Oh, well I guess it gives her a clean slate to work with. 

In case digital peeps are concerned about avoiding spoilers for a week, the book is now available on comiXology. Seems like it was a scheduling error that's been corrected.

Alright, I bought the digital copy and read it. 

Spoiler

Overall, I got no real complaints. I called Sonic getting his memory back this issue a while ago, and it was clear an intended bookends for what happened with Eggman getting his memories back from Metal Sonic. Whether it succeeds or not is up to you, but I feel like it works well enough for what it is but I can understand if people wanted more. 

Beyond that, the issue is pretty much one large set piece of action, which looks pretty damn good I'll admit. Feels pretty disjointed when the stuff with Sonic and Blaze interlaces it, but alas. I did like moments like Rouge and Tails exploiting Eggman's slapdash mech, and Omega ultimately getting his revenge in the end by wiping the remnants of Eggman's mech. 

And ultimately, the entire conflict just kind of ends with "And the Adventure continues" Wasn't expecting much of a followup with that moral conflict earlier with Shadow, but eh I knew that wasn't going anywhere. 

Not a terrible ending, just kind of by the numbers. Overall, the Metal Virus saga was pretty...mixed for me. I think my feelings could ultimately be summed as "Good, but could be better" . Here's hoping Evan's run allows for more smaller stake stories that expands on the world and cast more. Just a bit too much action and not enough smaller and quiet scenes to balance them for my tastes. But I can't say that I disliked any of it, I'm still eating really good reading this. 

EDIT: Also, the artists must be really huge Jojo fans, cuz man there's a single page that really got a chuckle out of me. 

Spoiler

Fucking knew SEGA wouldn't let Ian be ballsy enough to change the status quo. A potentially interesting set-piece came and then ended in the span of 2 issues. It's like it shouldn't have happened at all.

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:
  Hide contents

Fucking knew SEGA wouldn't let Ian be ballsy enough to change the status quo. A potentially interesting set-piece came and then ended in the span of 2 issues. It's like it shouldn't have happened at all.

This is kind of why I'm not as vexed, cuz I knew things would ultimately default back to the status quo at the end of the day. The wonders of a licensed product. 

I guess Eggman usually puts in more than enough effort when he "knows" he'll be fighting Sonic.

If only Knuckles weren't probated to his island.

Spoiler

I'm not sure if it's a bigger waste that Sonic got back to status quo so quickly or that we probably won't be seeing Blaze's world again for a long time.

• Thumbs Up 3

Spoiler

I really don't understand why they even bothered with the amnesia plot if he was going to get his memories back after so little time was spent on it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, Zaysho said:
  Hide contents

I'm not sure if it's a bigger waste that Sonic got back to status quo so quickly or that we probably won't be seeing Blaze's world again for a long time.

Spoiler

The fact that we got a peek at Blaze's castle is at the very least a nickel and dime in the right direction. Between that and Blaze commenting more about the political affairs of her world is TSR, we've got the snowball started. 

One day we'll get to explore all that potential. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Razule said:
  Hide contents

I really don't understand why they even bothered with the amnesia plot if he was going to get his memories back after so little time was spent on it. 

Spoiler

It just a bookends; this arc got started when Eggman lost his memories and regained them with a trigger, so now the same happens to Sonic. They definitely never really explored it in any real capacity, but it is what it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:
  Hide contents

It just a bookends; this arc got started when Eggman lost his memories and regained them with a trigger, so now the same happens to Sonic. They definitely never really explored it in any real capacity, but it is what it is.

Spoiler

I feel like the intent of it being a bookend to Eggman's subplot doesn't come through very well. I get what you mean, and I suppose it being badly handled doesn't make it less of a bookend, but it feels unnecessary to even bother with that. Not just because there's no consequence or ongoing plot where Sonic has amnesia for a few issues, but what would that even serve if it did?

Eggman's amnesia made him a new person--a better person--and it made the characters mull over about Eggman's capacity to not be a raging douchebag and give him a chance at redemption from their perspective only for it all to be forcibly reset by a fanboy and Eggman's son. Sonic's amnesia doesn't really change much of his core personality from what little of it we can see; he's just as smarmy and cocky as he usually is, if overbearingly formal, and snaps out of it when he sees his girlfriend transform. Sonic isn't challenged at all in the same he was during the Metal Virus and there's nothing to really explore with him from this new angle. I mean, it's not really a bad thing either, you couldn't go wrong either way because he's still Sonic. The only people the difference would matter to is the rest of the cast so that's really the only loss in not exploring it.

It isn't a terrible idea, but it feels like some leftover piece of a first draft script before approvals hacked it apart.

• Thumbs Up 3

#32.... you know what? I would prefer if Sonic never had amnesia AND Eggman never attacked. Just 2 issue of people taking a breather after a long arc Maybe whole issue about a party and people chilling. Of course next is chao race, so maybe soon we'll be to "chilled".

As it is, this issue doesn't have enough cute mellow moments as last two or strong main narrative. It's gorgeous looking, but least substantial issue in a long time.

Spoiler

Sonic is back. Honestly "Sonic is wandering with amnesia, while his friends have to deal without him" could be a pretty interesting longer arc. Cramped into 2 issues is, as everyone said, kinda pointless.

It's another of those issues where an army of heroes fight a big treat, meaning that most of them are barely here. Blaze didn't get much shine, Big didn't land a funny joke, not sure what was the (story-wise) point of Omega being part of the armor. And poor Espio. So, any special moments?

- Vector takes charge. Sure, makes sense. I kinda wish Amy NOT giving orders were handled differently.
Not "buuu, leave me alone, I don't lead anymore",
rather "I don't want to take charge but if I must..." "No need, I'll do it" "Gosh, thanks Vector"
Or even just Vector taking charge and Amy commenting she's glad she doesn't have to do it. You know, so she doesn't look like a jerk who refuses to take responsibility when madman in a giant mech is right in front of them. But that's a nitpick.

- Rouge beats Rouges to the punch. Again, I would handle it differently. She's way too eager to give the loot back, where is her wonderful grey morality? Make her hesitate what to do with gems. Maybe she was going to take them, but saving Omega takes priority. Or Jewel walked on her and assumed Rouge saved gems from Jet, not realizing the truth. Or Amy gently but firmly telling "come on Rouge, I know you have them". Even Rouge just questioning herself and deciding "Sonic is back, I can't ruin everyone's good mood".
Any of those options would be more page-worthy than Rouge helping to hack into a robot.

- Group hug is kinda cute.

- I know that all heavy hitters were missing or quickly out (Sonic, Shadow, Silver, Blaze, Knuckles, Big (?), Omega, Gemerl ) but I still find it a little weird that 9 heroes couldn't beat the single mech that Eggman build in hurry.
What I'm saying is, I stand by my statement from the last issue that everyone is a little drunk.