Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Bad Guys 1 was a good, if mostly straightforward setup.

Spoiler

There are three areas throughout--Eggmans lockodwn base, Starline's current hideout, and Everhold Prison, which is where the vast majority of the issues.I will say one arguable strength of these two location/limited scope stories is that because they focus on particular characters and plot points, they get to take their time and allow things space to breath(see Sonic vs Neo Metal). The problem with that though is that on the off chance the material isn't particularly developed/interesting, it can probably end up feeling like it's dragging out something simple and eating up paneltime that could've been used to move things forward or establish more things. I don't think this issue has that issue and kinda like it, but I do feel like that something to consider given the general takeaway of how these stories wrap up.

I didn't notice that not only did Starline reprogram some Badnik's to serve him tea, but they are also more of a mauve color to match his jacket.

Starline's enforcers are clearly the two characters that were originally supposed to debut alongside him, but were pushed back for whatever roster/pacing reason it was. Whatever this new power of his will be is supposed to substitute the Warp Topaz and thus it will still be a component in their combo ability based on a gameplay mechanic.

Everhold Prison looks like a guitar, for some reason.

I completely forgot Starline could hypnotize people.

So I was sorta right and sorta wrong about Starline's approach to this group when I honestly should've remembered that obvious factoid from when this was announced: Mimic and to an extent Zavok both seemed to be his primary targets in order to facilitate his plan to obtain his newest tool. I was concerned that he was rebounding right back to Zavok despite what happened before, but all of these guys have a reason to be scornful of Eggman and he's taking advantage of that in order to convince them to break into his bases.

Not too interested Mimic personally, but he actually has a key part in Starline's plan that requires him and he got to basically confirm that he can copy voices as well. For a second, I thought he had already escaped and Starline had effectively hypnotized him already; wonder how/when he ended up at the prison 

Rough and Tumble seriously went straight back to Barricade Town not only after they held it hostage, not only after getting lost in the mines, but also after Eggman & the Zeti sicced Zombots everywhere, lol. Honestly, they're just kinda there and even Zavok just lets them attack a bunch of guys seemingly to have them feel like they're worth having in the group; still wondering if we'll get any information about their background here.

Zavok is onto Starline's intention to get rid of him, but decides to play along with his flattery by making them his Deadly Four for the time being. Except that's not how that name scheme works--Eggman made them the Deadly Six because there's six of them! Unless there is a seventh member we haven't seen yet, he forgot to count himself. Verdicts out on how he handles this group while his tries to reconvene with him--hoping we get his view on each of them(same around the table, if possible) and maybe see the other Zeti pop up in other ministories without him.

Couldn't help but think the other prisoners could've been cameos if they were able to do those kinds of things. Instead, I think I may have seen the same prisoner three times.

On 10/7/2020 at 8:52 PM, Polkadi~☆ said:
  Hide contents

I summon Pot of Greed!

Things get really heated in Bad Guys.

this is obviously an edit, don't take it seriously

/

Spoiler

Admittedly, I did slip into Pegasus at one point while trying to remember Starline's voice.

/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Spoiler

A Team Fighters + Tangle & Belle adventure? Oh, I'm so ready!

Also, is Everhold Prison a music reference or something?

I got the Bad Guys issue. It was good!

I love me a good prison break. I also, as one who actually likes Zavok, did appreciate how he carried himself here. As the only villain in this group from the main canon it was interesting seeing how versitile he actually was. Dude could waltz right into town and just render the wispons useless. 

I also really like that Starline and Zavok are doing that thing I love where they're both aware of the other's nature but are going along with it for the chance to play villain chess with each other. Its fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, prowerboy26 said:

It seems they have given us some info on the coming arc. (I am having trouble using the spoiler tag, but you have to actually click on the link and choose to hear at your own discretion so I will leave it unmarked):

https://mobile.twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/1313962432310673408

...isn't the first one just the premise to SegaSonic the Hedgehog?

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

It depends.

That game takes place on an entire island, while we don't know

Spoiler

the layout or location of the tower Sonic, Tails, & Amy are inside of.

Personally, it sounds like a Hang Castle situation.

EDIT: We have some alternate covers

Spoiler

Ej0rcyMWAAARH2I?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2020 at 1:26 AM, prowerboy26 said:

It seems they have given us some info on the coming arc. (I am having trouble using the spoiler tag, but you have to actually click on the link and choose to hear at your own discretion so I will leave it unmarked):

https://mobile.twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/1313962432310673408

Sounds like Stanley gave away a word too much, but then the design kinda hints at that general direction.

Spoiler

Uncertainty regarding that "Fallout from Bad Guys" given there are a whole lotta Zeti to account for. Glad to hear about them, though 

Good to see the two of them again, healthy and whatnot.

On 10/8/2020 at 2:52 AM, Dr. Mike Acula said:

I got the Bad Guys issue. It was good!

I love me a good prison break. I also, as one who actually likes Zavok, did appreciate how he carried himself here. As the only villain in this group from the main canon it was interesting seeing how versitile he actually was. Dude could waltz right into town and just render the wispons useless. 

I also really like that Starline and Zavok are doing that thing I love where they're both aware of the other's nature but are going along with it for the chance to play villain chess with each other. Its fun.

Yeah, that's something I forgot to mention (regardless of whether I did before): Zavok has an innate credibility to him that most of these guys don't.

Let's also note how Zavok, for all intents and purposes, is our Obligatiry Game Character for this Universe arc. The first miniseries notwithstanding, that's kinda crazy to think about since even with Sega unintentionally/actively (?) trying to make him a household name, he's still about C-list at best and yet here he is as the one familiar face among a bunch of exclusives.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:20 AM, Kuzu said:

I thought that reminded me of something, though it'd be elsewhere like Hunter X Hunter. 

On 10/8/2020 at 2:04 PM, Sonictrainer said:

It depends.

That game takes place on an entire island, while we don't know

Hide contents

the layout or location of the tower Sonic, Tails, & Amy are inside of.

Personally, it sounds like a Hang Castle situation.

EDIT: We have some alternate covers

Hide contents

Ej0rcyMWAAARH2I?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Woah, that's unexpected.

Spoiler

The covers are based on that one Forces promo art, with Tumble taking Zavok's place while he takes Eggman's and Starline takes Infinite's.

Also, holy shit, Cream vs Mimic and Shadow vs Rough. I know it's a cover, but sheesh.

The future seems interesting. I'm liking that new character's design, she looks adorable, just like Tangle and Whisper. If Sega ever decided to make plush toys of any of the IDW characters, I'd love to buy them and put them on a shelf.

As for Bad Guys #1:

Spoiler

I like it. I think the notion of a story focusing on the titular bad guys is an interesting one. (I havn't read all of Archie Sonic, especially Sonic Universe, I don't know if they ever did a concept like that in that series?) I think Starline is the real standout here, and to be honest again, I do hope Bad Guys ends in a way that makes the reader think Starline is as threatening to Sonic and co as Eggman is.

I do enjoy the balance of the 5 characters. Starline being the Machiavellian mastermind. Zavok being the villian in charge, who is smart enough to realise Starline will betray them. Certainly the most interesting Zavok has ever been. Mimic is definetly a lot more subdued than he was in T&W, but then he seems to be smart enough to realise when the odds aren't in his favour, and just wants to be free, although I am imagine free to do his own evil things. And c'mon, Rough and Tumble being dumb enough to try and take over the same town again is pretty hilarious. And it was nice that they prove that can be at least competant fighters against the prison guards.

So yeah, I think this is going to be a fun 4 issues. I guess for a couple of side notes, yeah I also don't understand the prison guitar reference? I assume it is a reference, unless it is just a cute prison design. And to be extremely pedantic, it annoys me how Zavok refers to the others as the "Deadly Four", because, uh, the "Deadly Six" includes Zavok himself, but I guess he doesn't want to include himself in this group? I don't know, that bothered me for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

As for Bad Guys #1:

Hide contents

(I havn't read all of Archie Sonic, especially Sonic Universe, I don't know if they ever did a concept like that in that series?)

yeah I also don't understand the prison guitar reference?

Spoiler

The only Archie arc focusing on villains exclusively (that I can remember) was the one of late Sonic Universe arcs about Scourge's team breaking him out of interdimensional prison. I remember it distinctly because it had major Guardians of the Galaxy (first movie) vibes.

The guitar shape of Everhold Prison is a reference to Sonic X version of Prison Island (it looked like a regular island in SA 2).spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 5

You know what? I kinda didn't care for Bad Guys #1. I enjoy the concept idea but not much happened, it didn't leave me wanting more because there wasn't much. I'm interested in a couple of things though. The 4 comic exclusives do have a lot of potential too.

Spoiler

I would give Rough and Tumble more, at this point, a backstory? That would maybe improve them, or powers? IDK. Usually bullies are cool when you learn why they are that way, but I never felt sympathy for these 2 so far.

It's cool that they pretend Zavok is the leader while they try to outsmart each other.

Besides that, there isn't much. It's clear Mimic isn't a team player anymore. I guess it's gonna be cool to see how they try to backstab each other and if there are casualties, because whatever the plan is, if they don't trust the team, the team will not work.

One of them ending up dead would be awesome but yeah, it's too early in the comic, the least important one is Mimic, and if there is somebody who will end him it is Whisper... who isn't in this story, obviously.

More interesting stuff: the experiments Starline is working on...

It was barely an introduction... 

Anyway, I'm very excited for the Evan era, what was missing from these comics are the fun side, mundane adventures, minor drama, mysteries, simple action, new interactions. Smaller plots with no major threat, but still with antagonists. The "Chao Races and Badnik Bases" arc is exactly that so I'm very content, plus there is a smaller cast which is what the comic needed. The next arc seems even more interesting.

Honestly we had a weird Ian run. First it was a mild important threat that was a Forces aftermath, as an introduction, then we got a big horror arc that was supposed to be the Archie finale. Eh. I sure would have done things differently, the Metal Virus waaay later, for season 1 more minor stories, instead of just introducing characters one at a time fighting badniks with little plot, and a longer season 1 in general with more build up to the final arc, Battle for Angel Island... I would leave things mostly the same, it would reunite the season 1 cast as it did, but only Sonic, Knuckles, Blaze would fight Neo's final form... and it wouldn't be another dragon but a Metallix-esque form, an actual fighter instead of a giant monster. I like when a few heroes fight the big bad in the final fight while the other fighters are busy with the army/badniks/zombots, as they did in issue 29. That was the best, even with the one second final fight.

9 hours ago, TransPirate said:
  Hide contents

The only Archie arc focusing on villains exclusively (that I can remember) was the one of late Sonic Universe arcs about Scourge's team breaking him out of interdimensional prison. I remember it distinctly because it had major Guardians of the Galaxy (first movie) vibes.

It predicted it then?

There was also Scrambled and Eggman's Dozen.

The guitar shape of Everhold Prison is a reference to Sonic X version of Prison Island (it looked like a regular island in SA 2).spacer.png

I think I did see something saying that after the fact.

What an odd design choice to being with, though.

17 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

The future seems interesting. I'm liking that new character's design, she looks adorable, just like Tangle and Whisper. If Sega ever decided to make plush toys of any of the IDW characters, I'd love to buy them and put them on a shelf.

As for Bad Guys #1:

Hide contents

I like it. I think the notion of a story focusing on the titular bad guys is an interesting one. (I havn't read all of Archie Sonic, especially Sonic Universe, I don't know if they ever did a concept like that in that series?) I think Starline is the real standout here, and to be honest again, I do hope Bad Guys ends in a way that makes the reader think Starline is as threatening to Sonic and co as Eggman is.

And c'mon, Rough and Tumble being dumb enough to try and take over the same town again is pretty hilarious. And it was nice that they prove that can be at least competant fighters against the prison guards.

That's pretty much the point of em.

They're not very complex thinking wise, but they are a decent threat in a straight on fight.

. And to be extremely pedantic, it annoys me how Zavok refers to the others as the "Deadly Four", because, uh, the "Deadly Six" includes Zavok himself, but I guess he doesn't want to include himself in this group? I don't know, that bothered me for some reason.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

5 hours ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

You know what? I kinda didn't care for Bad Guys #1. I enjoy the concept idea but not much happened, it didn't leave me wanting more because there wasn't much.

It was barely an introduction... 

Yeah, I can sorta see that. It's pretty decent character interaction, but there isn't much being established or for the most part setup in this(though that's IDW in general)--it's pretty straightforward establishment for the next three parts with mostly stuff we already knew/assumed.

Ah well, at least we have an entire heist/mission/objective to look forward to learning and seeing unfold.

I'm interested in a couple of things though. The 4 comic exclusives do have a lot of potential too.

Hide contents

I would give Rough and Tumble more, at this point, a backstory? That would maybe improve them, or powers? IDK. Usually bullies are cool when you learn why they are that way, but I never felt sympathy for these 2 so far.

It's cool that they pretend Zavok is the leader while they try to outsmart each other.

Besides that, there isn't much. It's clear Mimic isn't a team player anymore. I guess it's gonna be cool to see how they try to backstab each other and if there are casualties, because whatever the plan is, if they don't trust the team, the team will not work.

Spoiler

Yeah, one of my predictions for this story would be that we'd get a bit more characterization for Rough and/or at least a hint to Tumble's past since they're very unlikely to get a miniseries to themselves. Actually getting much more to them, though, seems unlikely as well.

As you mention, bullies especially nowadays tend to have some meaningful reasoning behind their antagonism and that generally adds a bit more color to them with gaining redeeming qualities sometimes coming after. But the thing about the Skunk Bros is that their bullying vibes are just a side effect of their role as C-list Baddies ala the Hooligans and they too didn't have too much background to them in Archie, not really anyway. Their designs even put them right in there Fang and the Zeti in terms of how they're generally meant to be viewed.

The other obstruction as well is how there, looking at what vagary we have to go off of going forward, honestly isn't much of a place for anything like that here. Most bully/villain motivations generally come out when there's a good guy, morality pet, and/or a empathetic ear is present for them to expose to, but the omission lies in the fact that(some nebulous relatability and/or speculation aside)none of these characters are sympathetic--in fact, Tumble himself is actually the most so. The closest I could imagine to supplementing that would be either them discussing their past briefly with each other or perhaps speaking of it with Starline since he's kind of a shrink, to his indifference.

Touching on the powers thing real quick, I actually presumed they'd have their will restored somehow, but remain altered Zombot-like beings. After all, their whole motive revolves around having metal weapons to use for whatever fun/revenge they wanna have. Becoming the first infectees was stated to be a turning point of their characters after all, but not being keen about Eggman is the sole result of that thus far.

I

Spoiler

One of them ending up dead would be awesome but yeah, it's too early in the comic, the least important one is Mimic, and if there is somebody who will end him it is Whisper... who isn't in this story, obviously.

More interesting stuff: the experiments Starline is working on...

That's an...odd thing to want.

Anyway, I'm very excited for the Evan era, what was missing from these comics are the fun side, mundane adventures, minor drama, mysteries, simple action, new interactions. Smaller plots with no major threat, but still with antagonists. The "Chao Races and Badnik Bases" arc is exactly that so I'm very content, plus there is a smaller cast which is what the comic needed. The next arc seems even more interesting.

Honestly we had a weird Ian run. First it was a mild important threat that was a Forces aftermath, as an introduction, then we got a big horror arc that was supposed to be the Archie finale. Eh. I sure would have done things differently, the Metal Virus waaay later, for season 1 more minor stories, instead of just introducing characters one at a time fighting badniks with little plot, and a longer season 1 in general with more build up to the final arc, Battle for Angel Island... I would leave things mostly the same, it would reunite the season 1 cast as it did, but only Sonic, Knuckles, Blaze would fight Neo's final form... and it wouldn't be another dragon but a Metallix-esque form, an actual fighter instead of a giant monster. I like when a few heroes fight the big bad in the final fight while the other fighters are busy with the army/badniks/zombots, as they did in issue 29. That was the best, even with the one second final fight.

Honestly, we sorta needed that between the first two arcs. I realize the year format may have brought that about and we did get the annual for some asides, but I maintain characters such as Mr. Tinker, Tangle, Jewel, Amy, the Chaotix, and even Shadow/Omega could've used some panel time to explore or further show their characters before Starline and the Metal Virus got involved.

Plus, simple fun and/or excitement before down slowly starts going shit is just good for enjoyment.

Personally, I still think getting a second monthly series would be really beneficial for the book, be it another Sonic Universe or some other take which takes place at the same time as the main Sonic book. It would be a great way to do different types of stories and feature different casts at the same time. Not that I don't appreciate the current book + annual mini-series + annual, but I still think sooner or later, I think getting 2 main books would be great. Hell, 2 main books and still having the annual mini-series and annual? I think that would be a dream, would mean there would always be plenty of content.

I guess something like that won't happen for a while though, considering the fact that it seems like we are going to be entering a transitionary phase. That, and I'd be surprised if IDW is in a current state right now to really expand. I dunno, maybe in a couple years, it could be a reality.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

Personally, I still think getting a second monthly series would be really beneficial for the book, be it another Sonic Universe or some other take which takes place at the same time as the main Sonic book. It would be a great way to do different types of stories and feature different casts at the same time. Not that I don't appreciate the current book + annual mini-series + annual, but I still think sooner or later, I think getting 2 main books would be great. Hell, 2 main books and still having the annual mini-series and annual? I think that would be a dream, would mean there would always be plenty of content.

I guess something like that won't happen for a while though, considering the fact that it seems like we are going to be entering a transitionary phase. That, and I'd be surprised if IDW is in a current state right now to really expand. I dunno, maybe in a couple years, it could be a reality.

That'd be great, if, y'know, SEGA would actually let the game cast actually EXPAND more, but due to status quo, they can't. Unlike Archie, they don't have the Freedom Fighters or whatever was left from the previous continuity to back them up, as well as having more original characters like Eclipse, Gold, and Relic to help back up the game cast since they don't have much room for growth, and IDW doesn't have enough original characters to do that. Therefore, in IDW Sonic's current state, I don't see how a second monthly book would be sustained for very long.

3 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

That'd be great, if, y'know, SEGA would actually let the game cast actually EXPAND more, but due to status quo, they can't. Unlike Archie, they don't have the Freedom Fighters or whatever was left from the previous continuity to back them up, as well as having more original characters like Eclipse, Gold, and Relic to help back up the game cast since they don't have much room for growth, and IDW doesn't have enough original characters to do that. Therefore, in IDW Sonic's current state, I don't see how a second monthly book would be sustained for very long.

I dunno, I don't think it's impossible. I'm not sure if Sega would be willing to have a book starring anyone other than Sonic, be it Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, or any newcomers. It feels like in this current era, I doubt that is really possible. But I don't see why something like Sonic Universe can't happen again, I mean for all intents and purposes that book was basically just mini-series after mini-series, with occasional tie-ins with the main book.

Honestly, with that Tangle and Whisper mini-series, I always thought they could support their own series. Have it based in that town of theirs, Tangle, Whisper, and Jewel are the main characters. Storylines involve the more secondary Sonic characters like the Chaotix, Team Dark, as well as more original foes, while the main Sonic book is about him, the primary cast, and fighting Eggman.

Eh, we'll see. I do want it to happen at some point, but I think it could be 2 years until it is a possibility.

24 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

By doing what they're already doing. What's the functional difference between Sonic Universe and multiple minisseries one after the other?

The only thing holding them back is probably wanting to warm up sales and gain momentum. TMNT also took a while to start doing minisseries, and eventually ended up with multiple minisseries in constant print.

What they're doing now essentially is sonic universe with a breather between stories and more of a focus on the new characters in this universe. It's more than I expected in this early stage So I can't complain 

• Thumbs Up 6

On 10/6/2020 at 6:14 PM, Ghostly Gogglehead CC14 said:

Mysterious cover character revealed in a tease for the NYCC panel:

Reveal hidden contents

Meet Belle, a new robot character made of wood!

She could be Mr. Tinker's legacy. This could be interesting.

Edited by Strickerx5
Removed empty quotes.

Can’t help but wonder if Belle will be a ‘grey area’ when it comes to Zavok and the rest of the D6. Like if she is made of wood, what are the robotic/electronic components inside her that make her a robot, and - despite being made of wood - does she have enough ‘robot’ in her to be controlled by Zavok/D6 like Eggman’s other mechanical creations? I’m intrigued and I want to read it all but I expect delays will spoil my anticipation a bit just like with the zombot arc.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yeah, that is definitely a consistent obstacle that I've noticed in regards to immersing this comic.

Sure, having mostly game-originating characters around front and center is cool and all, but it doesn't mean much when we still generally get so little of them besides Sonic; probably due to the issue we were discussing with side/limelight stories and the sheer number of them in an issue at a given time. The one thing I'll chime in about characters like the Freedom Fighters in this specific context is that, because they were intermingled with the main cast (which was just Sonic Tails Amy Cream and sometimes Big), the original skillsets, backgrounds, and whatnot that came with their characters had more of an impact on the stories being told and on the character interactions. And the lack of characters like Relic, Eclipse, and Thrash is indeed felt because funnily enough, they are attached/oriented to the characters who have been having a hard time getting much to do outside of special moments here.

By contrast, I honestly observe that we can't get too into most of these new characters beyond the initial excitement/intrigue of their introduction because very few of them are either around enough to have a rapport with the pre-established cast or the maintain any real agency/influence in their own right. Jumping back and forth between personal and general impressions:

• YMMV on Tangle and Jewel(that's something of a can of worms I don't think is appropriate right now)
  • Lanolin could be a savant exception to this if she was a proper character, but the book having a tighter grip on it by SonicTeam means she can't be and any exception to that has effectively been torpedoed based off of what happened to that one cover.
  • The Skunk Bros are generally kind of humorous ruffians, but were more of a hook when Sonic and Knuckles had to team up to free a town from them, which implied more craftiness or at least competency on their part. What happened to Tumble's tail is the one loose dangle put out for them since. I believe the charm/validity of them comes from the fact that they are in the very rare low stakes/C list villain that the game's almost never get to use, that Archie definitely had, and by extension, that the Classic embargo of late understandably caused a brief upset about a while after their introduction.
  • Scruffy is a borderline background character who's one contribution to the plot has mostly been addressed and he lacks much of interest to justify follow up on him beyond maybe a side story in an annual reflecting on his people's decision. That is unless Vector had some competition in the game...nah!
  • I logically lumped Jewel in with Tangle earlier, but I real quick want to mention how it's unlikely we'll get much from the restoration at this point since Amy is no longer part of them and we don't have need for their involvement in this upcoming year so far.
  • I mentioned shortly before that I personally don't really care for Mimic and I feel like that's partly/mostly or even entirely because he's basically just the Mizuki/JoeChill/TMN for Whisper that is responsible for her emotional scars, but little else. Its someone interesting this came up in regards to what y'all brought in [again], but him being an octopus is ultimately a little more than a footnote. Idk, maybe this is a topic for discussion that can be had since I don't think I'm the only one.
  • Clutch, despite what story she's gonna be in and who that inherently involves, seems more unlikely to stick around(especially now that we know what she looks like) and she's been pretty quickly overshadowed...
  • Belle is clearly the biggest show stealer we've had in a while, but that's not saying much and the verdict is still out for some time.
  • Whisper was the second most interesting in her introduction because of the sheer mystery and out of context abnormalness she had about her, but that's mostly dried up with her mini-series both revealing her backstory, having her [initially] confront the source of it, and also indirectly putting to bed the juiciness of the one other hook with a certain character any of them had.

Starline is the only one who was a consistent talking point on this forum throughout his tenure and that's a combination of fitting this relevant description, generally moving the story forward(as a major villain generally should), and having things to look forward to whether we know what it is or not. And I know one person who would argue that that was almost entirely because he's attached to Eggman more so than the character himself, even if I don't exactly agree with more than half of that.

2 hours ago, caitash said:

Hide contents

Can’t help but wonder if Belle will be a ‘grey area’ when it comes to Zavok and the rest of the D6. Like if she is made of wood, what are the robotic/electronic components inside her that make her a robot, and - despite being made of wood - does she have enough ‘robot’ in her to be controlled by Zavok/D6 like Eggman’s other mechanical creations? I’m intrigued and I want to read it all but I expect delays will spoil my anticipation a bit just like with the zombot arc.

Ooh, great point. Certainly something to explore.

That said(speculation with potential spoilers for eventual stories)

Spoiler

The Zeti's innate abilities are based on electromagnetism, which involves invisible fields within nature that can influence a large variety of things about it and thus there's a large number of things they can do if they put their mind to it. Controlling electronics is just the easiest thing to have them do because robots, by definition, are made to fulfill a certain set of tasks and thus the Deadly Six can use their powers to influence them on the spot.

There's actually an entire Old Post someone made specifying this and even how each of these abilities throughout Lost World actually do have basis within that study. I'll track it down agaim in a moment or whenever I get the chance.

But most relevant to this bit of speculation is Master Zik himself. You know that large bonsai staff he walks around and sometimes flies with all the time? Well, the post actually detailed how him using his Jedi esque power to pull it towards him is actually perfectly explained within the simple field of magnetism.

So by extension the answer to your question would probably be yes--while how much influence they'd have on sentient automatons has thus far been very rarely/inconsistently applied,  they could indeed control Belle to some extent.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, The KKM said:

By doing what they're already doing. What's the functional difference between Sonic Universe and multiple minisseries one after the other?

The only thing holding them back is probably wanting to warm up sales and gain momentum. TMNT also took a while to start doing minisseries, and eventually ended up with multiple minisseries in constant print.

I don't know if I'd say TMNT took awhile to start doing miniseries. The first microseries issue came out around the same time as issue 5.

I do agree that there's no real difference between what IDW is doing and Sonic Universe 

He'll I'd argue that Universe was a series of miniseries under a banner just to sell more subscriptions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bad Guys #1 in my hands. Better late then ever.

Art is "only" okay and I think story should start with Starline breaking into jail. What those first 4-5 pages accomplish other than foreshadow Starline's "enforcer"? He'll be explaining the plan in next issue anyway. Could been used for bigger challenge or fleshing out our team.

Ok, those are mine biggest gripes. Overall story is fine. The only really interesting moment is Zavok/Starline confrontation. I didn't seen it's coming and it's quite frankly a brilliant move on Starline's part. And it's nice to see Zavok actually using his brain. I hope he keeps up the good job for rest of the mini.

Side note, it's funny that how important "OCs" are gender/affinity divided. Starline, Mimic and Skuns are evil, while Tangle, Whisper, Jewel and upcoming Belle are good.
If you wanna push it further, this mini is about bad boys, while previous was about good girls...and now I wonder if Mimic will ever join main comic or forever jump from mini-series to mini-series.

44 minutes ago, caitash said:

Extra preview pages for issue 33:

Hide contents

That panel with Rouge could probably

37 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Bad Guys #1 in my hands. Better late then ever.

Art is "only" okay and I think story should start with Starline breaking into jail. What those first 4-5 pages accomplish other than foreshadow Starline's "enforcer"? He'll be explaining the plan in next issue anyway. Could been used for bigger challenge or fleshing out our team.

Ok, those are mine biggest gripes. Overall story is fine. The only really interesting moment is Zavok/Starline confrontation. I didn't seen it's coming and it's quite frankly a brilaint move on Starline's part. And it's nice to see Zavok actually using his brain. I hope he keeps up the good .job for rest of the mini.

Side note, it's funny that how important "OCs" are gender/affinity divied. Starline, Mimic and Skuns are evil, while Tangle, Whisper, Jewel and upcoming Belle are good.
If you wanna push it further, this mini is about bad boys, while previous was about good girls...and now I wonder if Mimic will ever join main comic or forever jump from mini-series to mini-series.

be a meme template.

Yeah, I think I saw someone complain about that somewhere.