Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

34 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Ah, sorry, since you wrote Dawn instead of Don I didn't realise it was the rooster character lol

Yeah no those two are meant to be recurring from the start and got approved by Sega and so on, yes

Oh, dang pun confused me.

On 10/30/2020 at 1:50 PM, Kuzu said:

Honestly, I think Tangle is fine right now; she's really not all that complex when you get down to it, which makes her a lot easier to utilize and integrate among the cast. She's very much designed like a supporting character from the games, someone who occasionally lends a helping hand for Sonic and co but not someone who can headline a story. 

Can or should?

22 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Yeah. We really don't need more main characters as far as Sonic media goes.

If anything, we need them to maybe solidify who the main characters are and work on that.

18 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Idk about the others, but Don and Nite were approved by Sega and given some lore. I'm sure it's because they were created for the comic, not the authors' preexisting OCs making a cameo.

Here are the tweets by Evan Stanley:

Hide contents

As far as I could tell, Lanolin was created by ABT for Issue 2 since and he named then continued to include her when fans took a shine to her. 

Also, Chaotic story when?

The difference is, Nite and Don, like Starline, Whisper, etc, were created to be recurring comic characters outright- they were pitched to Sega, sketches sent in, Sega gave feedback on the designs, etc etc etc.

Lanolin was a random background character ABT drew without approval (since obviously Sega doesn't do approval for every single background design) who he then named on twitter and kept drawing, and other artists kept drawing her too.

Nite and Don are actual, official, characters, Lanolin is basically a recurring fancharacter that's lucky that the people drawing her can sneak her into official products. Hence, if they tried to actually pitch a Lanolin story, Sega might outright say no, or they might have to effectively reboot her since now Sega will have a say on the design, characterisation, etc to make her an actual official character.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

Also worth noting that Lanolin was on the sketch/prototype cover for issue #30 (a cover more or less reserved for "main characters"), but wasn't allowed on the final draft.

That was most likely an attempt to skim past the censors that got nipped in the bud.

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Also worth noting that Lanolin was on the sketch/prototype cover for issue #30 (a cover more or less reserved for "main characters"), but wasn't allowed on the final draft.

That was most likely an attempt to skim past the censors that got nipped in the bud.

I still wonder what ABT was thinking when he drew her on the sketch cover. Was he having fun knowing she won't make it in (cuz no matter how much love Lanolin gets from the fan, she is just one of countless background characters), or does he secretly wish her to be "official"?

Alrightly, we got them previews for IDW #34 :

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sources:

ttps://tailschannel.com/idw-sonic/sonic-the-hedgehog-34-previews/
ttps://twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1323318410864922624?s=20

So it seems...

Spoiler

Rouge has been replaced? Or was released after Starline did something to her.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Yeah, if Starline gave Mimic some of the Egg Pawn Power-Ups, he would be able to pretend to be Rouge & fly at the same time.

Usually the eyes are a dead giveaway. Looks like Mimic could've used some coloured lenses here to hide the fact his eyes are brown no matter who he impersonates.  

Marks on the hands are another one, but of course, gloves.

Another explanation could be Starline's hypnosis. That is Rouge, but under his control. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Starlene either hypnotized her, planted a suggestion and then made her forget about it. Or it's Mimic, but it's likely the former. 

Spoiler

I thought I saw Beth for a second. But yeah, Rouge makes no allusion to the guy in the parka and was gone all night.

Also, Shadow is a duck.

On 11/1/2020 at 1:22 PM, The KKM said:

The difference is, Nite and Don, like Starline, Whisper, etc, were created to be recurring comic characters outright- they were pitched to Sega, sketches sent in, Sega gave feedback on the designs, etc etc etc.

Lanolin was a random background character ABT drew without approval (since obviously Sega doesn't do approval for every single background design) who he then named on twitter and kept drawing, and other artists kept drawing her too.

Nite and Don are actual, official, characters, Lanolin is basically a recurring fancharacter that's lucky that the people drawing her can sneak her into official products. Hence, if they tried to actually pitch a Lanolin story, Sega might outright say no, or they might have to effectively reboot her since now Sega will have a say on the design, characterisation, etc to make her an actual official character.

Didn't I just say that? :confused:

12 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Alrightly, we got them previews for IDW #34 :

Hide contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sources:

ttps://tailschannel.com/idw-sonic/sonic-the-hedgehog-34-previews/
ttps://twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1323318410864922624?s=20

So it seems...

Hide contents

Rouge has been replaced? Or was released after Starline did something to her.

Zavok is king

Spoiler

Yeah Dr. Starline is interesting, he's too focused on Eggman to realise his own skills. But still, I don't like him... how can he trust his idol and is willing to sacrifice those who are actually working with him? Even Zavok, I know every bad guy only cares for himself including the Zeti, but he at least points out how he doesn't need Eggman, and the truth that Eggy will not allow him back.

Although the Metal Virus was Eggman's plan, Starline wanted to try to contain it, it was interesting, and better thought at least, even though he can't adapt to sudden events.

Meanwhile Zavok is smart, self-confident but calm, a team player (mostly with the Deadly Six but he's willing to command these guys too), double crosser when necessary, he has brute force and electromagnetism at his disposal, in a world full of robots, now with the power core he's even stronger, he is a strategist, a leader. Zavok is plenty of things, I don't understand why he's so downplayed in the games, used as minion or villain fodder to Eggman, he could be written much better than the generic evil he sounds like most of the time. It's likely because he is a minor character in the series, there is no room in the games for decent focus on each character...

Yeah Rough and Tumble are aware that they have inferior brains, that everyone else knows that, and they are practical and adaptive to new circumstances, plus decent fighters. But they are a joke yeah...

Mimic, I dunno why he's so downplayed here, he was great as a main antagonist in T&W, here he's just... not trusting people and shapeshifting, he's not that smart or great compared to Dr. Starline or Zavok.

Predictions for next time...

Spoiler

According to the solicits it's Zavok vs Mimic. I could see this due to Zavok wanting to keep the team together and faking a "trust" to Starline, while Mimic finds out the Doctor's real plans and wants to expose him. Zavok wins and Mimic is out of the team, defeated, or basically left to die.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just read Bad Guys #2.

I love Starline but Zavok is stealing the show in this mini-series. My word.

I admire that position he took on having subordinates quite a lot. I'm wondering what Starline's conclusion is going to be when this is all over because of that heart to heart.

• Thumbs Up 3

Bad Guys #2 Hmm. Interesting.

Let me start by noting that Starline has one huge flaw: he thinks he's so much smarter than everyone else, be that Eggman, Zavok or now his team. Zavok praises his smart in this issue, but he's not Starline's friend, he has no reason to say truth. And Starline already messed up as he

Spoiler

Lied about power orbs, but as we seen Zavok took orbs, so he knows Starline was lying.

And he failed to trick Eggman so badly that my first though was he wants Eggman to know, but that would be overcomplicated.

Mind games between Zavok and Starline are obviously best part of the story. But nothing else is that fascinating.

Mimic is pretty boring so far (and quite ugly drawn). I remember being worried that Flynn  won't be able to keep his powers interesting and so far my mind did not changed. But I hoped to explore his personality.

And Skunk Duo are there to be there for basic comedy. I guess pushing crates was a little funny.

Overall decent issue, but action was bland. By now I memorized how broken Egg Pawn looks.

I wonder how this concludes seeing that both Zavok and Starline probably plan to kill each other in the end, but we know they can't. Getting everyone arrested sounds like waste of time, since they just go out. Starline can't keep lie for long and Zavok gives me a "zeti master race" vibe, I can't imagine him keeping Skunks or Mimic as allies.

5 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Now that Starline has the Tricore, do you think we'll see the Warp Topaz ever again?

I think Ian said during a recent Bumblecast that Sega asked that it not be destroyed.

Can anyone confirm? 

If only we could get Sega to stop wasting other ideas...

The issue basically confirms the suspicions of who the hooded baddie is and explains how it works. I'm guessing it's the same orbs you collect in Sonic Heroes that level up your characters. I like their introduction and honestly hope there is some sort of reason not to use them or I'll wonder Tails can't just later give everyone gloves like that. I'm going for the power cores being unstable or something after a certain time.

27 minutes ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

The Warp Topaz... Should be given to Silver to travel through time

I removed the Spoiler Box, because it wasn't needed.

This idea doesn't work for few reasons
1) He already travel through time... somehow.
2) I hop you didn't meant "in games" because Sega won't make you read comics to understand what happens in games. Forces tie-in are different.
3) and then there is slight problem that Warp Topaz, you know, never allowed bloody time travel

Ya know, it's not their fault since they don't have control over the scheduling but man, this REALLY should have came after the main series revealed it was Starlene to begin with. The twist was spoiled before it even came out. 

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Ya know, it's not their fault since they don't have control over the scheduling but man, this REALLY should have came after the main series revealed it was Starlene to begin with. The twist was spoiled before it even came out. 

Yeah, the cover reveals for future issues didn't help either. At least they didn't spoil a big cliffhanger in the next preview or somethin'.

About the reveal itself (note: I haven't read #2 yet aside from some spoilers so my thoughts may change)

Spoiler

I did expect it to be Starline after the observation & discussion, but now being officially confirmed...I'm not sure how to feel. 

I was eeh ok with the spur thing, but I did want him to do less physical fighting and more gadget stuff like the wormholes & hypno gloves. The Portal Gun ability was a very interesting concept so I am still sad the Warp Topaz had to go.

I am hoping the tricore thing goes away soon, because I enjoyed Starline's initial appearance as a tricky scientist-type who doesn't directly/physically fight his opponents like most Sonic characters.

Spoiler

I do get it, because he NEEDS some type of edge; he doesn't have Sonic's innate abilities or Eggman's resources, and he specifically noted that he needed something to even the odds. I doubt it'll be all that game changing. He hasn't done much yet, and looks like he mostly caught Shadow by surprise....which isn't saying much I know given his less than stellar record in the comic, but still too early to tell.