Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

You know, something about Starline i noticed in Bad Guys #3 

he seems to be seriously overestimating how obsessed Eggman is with Sonic. He keeps making huge mistakes that arouses Eggman's suspicion but assumes that Eggman will buy it because Sonic is wreckless.

I rather like that. It let's Starline learn that Eggman is just a bit more complicated than he assumes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2020 at 3:30 PM, caitash said:

2 additional preview pages for issue 35:

https://twitter.com/idwsonicnews/status/1332780652081639427?s=21

Hide contents

I am curious about this Belle character.  Was she a creation of Mr. Tinker or has someone else created her?  And how come Sonic acts a bit distant towards her?  I guess we'll find out in this issue.

Sonic #35...well, I'm looking forward to this ending I guess.

Spoiler

Sonic Tails and Belle obviously escape badniks, no trills here. Only noteworthy thing is Sonic wanting to leave Belle alone, which is strangely creepy of him. I hope it means he guessed who build her and after Metal Sonic fiasco he has second thoughts about trusting Eggman robots again. Alternative is that he's just a jerk.

Team Amy has hilarious problem with breaking the cage. They could at least spare one panel showing us that even Gemerl can't break it, because that's just silly. (And Shadow could teleport chao out, but now I'm just nitpicking). Whole situation is staged to give Belle something to do (I still find her kinda boring). Also, there is no chao race in this story, cover is a lie.
On the flip side single panel where Cream calls Clutch big meanie is just adorable.

And then badniks attacks, like we didn't just had it. And I'm starting to wonder if Amy is much weaker in IDW than Archie. I'll have to compare. But whatever, it's just to keep most of the cast busy. Putting 8 heroes in a story requires some hoop jumping.

Villain turns out to be of course Starline. I kinda wish I knew what the heck he wants. Story started with chao racing, mysterious Belle and trying to fix Omega, and this Clutch guy, ends with Starline hijack people and plot. I don't really feel natural progression.
Also, why Starline acts so bombastic today? I always took him as a practical dude. That sorta theatrics is exactly what he hates in Eggman. (Then again, in issue #14 he's also slightly over-the-top. Not sure here).

And most impart part: Shadow

Spoiler

Clutch was playing possum!!!! YES! Shadow officially still fails at everything after all!

Shadow can't do anything, even get into character roll call at the start. He lost to Omega and he's not even in this issue.

On a more serious note, the next issue can be interesting for Shadow. Starline's genius plan is to make Sonic pick whenever to save people or fight him, but Shadow is right there to solve this dilemma. So so either Sonic will go safe people and Shadow gets to kick ass or (more likely) Shadow does saving. It's gonna be really hard to make him look like an ass while doing so. I guess that's something.

I think I got how Shadow's personality now works, and how SEGA wants him seen recently.

Shadow: I have no friends, I'm edgy Batman/I'm no hero and I don't save anyone

> Literally saves everyone's ass multiple times in 2 issues in a row, with more to come

So his actions differ from his words. He has trouble communicating feelings.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

I think I got how Shadow's personality now works, and how SEGA wants him seen recently.

> Literally saves everyone's ass multiple times in 2 issues in a row, with more to come

He's a tsundere in other words.

42 minutes ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

Yeah pretty much. I'm fine with this

There's pretty much no way Shadow doesn't come out of this looking better at least; he's probably going to want to fight Starline cuz of what happened two issues ago while Sonic saves the cabin.

Spoiler

EoOF-7yXYAAAUoW?format=jpg&name=900x900

Look at this homoerotic subtext. 

6 hours ago, Kuzu said:

There's pretty much no way Shadow doesn't come out of this looking better at least; he's probably going to want to fight Starline cuz of what happened two issues ago while Sonic saves the cabin.

Reveal hidden contents

God bless Evan Stanley. She knew exactly what she was doing here.

6 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Reveal hidden contents

When I first saw this image somewhere else, I seriously thought this was drawn by a fan until I read the issue.

Issue 35 was good as well.

You'll notice my takes have been less detailed recently but its mostly just been because the kind of story the Metal Virus arc is was more tailored to my preferences so I naturally got more excited by that.

This has all been rather fun though. It definitely has the feel of a lead up arc that would take place after something monumentally huge. 

Also, yeah, Shadow's actions aren't matching his words which is the tell-tale route of the tsundere. Whether or not SEGA intends for it to come off that way is debatable of course.

It feels really nice being on a consistent schedule.

13 hours ago, Kuzu said:
  Hide contents

I live for this goofy gay ass shit. Not even a Sonadow shipper, but this image is e v e r y t h i n g

Enjoyed issue 35, I don’t go for the shipping side of things but the Shadow/Sonic this was pretty gold and also humerous. They both come out of it pretty well imho. Starline also looks way better in his fluffy coat than in his usual attire. He also looks a tad more rugged here too so I wonder what he’s been through to get here.

Some of the art looked a bit off later in the issue though, particularly in the rollercoaster bit. I can’t quite place why. I think ABT did the art on the whole issue and normally I can’t fault him so perhaps it’s the colouring or panel pacing, or perhaps it’s just my eyes. There was also some really, really well-drawn panels in this issue so maybe other areas just looked a little paler in comparison. Either way, nobody else has mentioned that so probably just my eyes and nobody else’s. 

I guess we’ll probably get more of a clue into Starline’s actual goal here on 23 December when Bad Guys 4 comes out. Whether he specifically wants Rouge and Tails, or if he just needs ‘any’ two of Sonic’s general group to make his plan work.

I think it will be Sonic who rushes to save the people in the chalet (I’m not sure Shadow would be willing to go, he’s too focused on Starline) and Shadow has to take care of the Starline/Rouge/Tails situation while Amy deals with the possum. Who knows though.

Ok time to move to important questions: Now that we good to know Belle a little, do we ship her with Metal Sonic or Omega?

Or are they siblings and that would be creepy?

(anyone who suggest Werehog gets ban on Disney movies)

• My Emmerdoods 1

5 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Ok time to move to important questions: Now that we good to know Belle a little, do we ship her with Metal Sonic or Omega?

...did we see Omega's reaction to Belle yet...?

...I hope he doesn't try to destroy her once he's fixed...

22 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

(anyone who suggest Werehog gets ban on Disney movies)

If Omega wasn't a head he'd totally just murder Belle on sight.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Razule said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.0497b7d619f343b4dcad4acf95ffb2ec.png

I know it's obvious, but subtlety.. what is that?

I gotta be honest unless someone pointed it out I probably wouldn't have thought twice about that myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Her origins couldn't be more obvious if she started growing long orange mustache. Or changed name to Eggette.

Not that it's a flaw.

• Absolutely 1

New cover for IDW #36:

Oh yeah, I saw someone on tumblr mention that Starline's powers are a bit too OP atm, and Evan agrees it's something they need to be careful about:

Spoiler

"The hypnotism power was me, actually– it’s a callback to the machine Starline used to mentally manipulate Tinker in issues 11-12. Also at the time I was drafting it in, I was operating under the assumption that Starline would have the Warp Topaz and that’s it, not the significant power boost of the TriCore Gauntlet; that changed after I’d already pitched my outline, and so the story had to be rejiggered accordingly. Ian added the hypnotism power into the beginning of Bad Guys to integrate the concept and encourage some fun cross-book theorizing. In the future I’m hoping it can be more like real-life hypnotherapy, to keep the power very limited. Starline’s getting OP is definitely something that needs to managed carefully."

(sidenote, I wonder how much Evan and Ian communicate while writing the stories?)

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1

He has Sonic/Shadow's speed, Tails' flight, and Knuckles strength as well as having some mild hypnotism. Yea, he's kind of a problem. 

• Absolutely 1