Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

So...Sega commissioned this and it's very Classic Sonic focused and Honey is on that ride with Tails. Does this mean that Honey could be in the Classic Sonic comic? 

It definitely means that Tails is a goner.

• Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 2

4 minutes ago, bingboomer said:

its too bad bean and bark or nack wont be seen ever again. but what about mighty or ray?  

I mean they're in Mania (kinda) and are considered classic characters so the Hooligans have a stronger chance of actually beingin some Classic based comics.

I really hope we get an official announcement of that soon. 

3 hours ago, Razule said:

It definitely means that Tails is a goner.

They've been parading his body on a pole for years now. This is nothing new.

sometimes i wonder if sega even knows who reads these comics....they can't be so clueless to think kids are still the majority consuming sonic media

....right?

1 minute ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

sometimes i wonder if sega even knows who reads these comics....they can't be so clueless to think kids are still the majority consuming sonic media

....right?

I mean I hate to be this guy knowing full well what will come from being this guy but...yeah the majority of people consuming Sonic products are children. It's a kids franchise and frankly older fans are not that important to Sega's bottom line. 

• Thumbs Up 7

25 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I mean I hate to be this guy knowing full well what will come from being this guy but...yeah the majority of people consuming Sonic products are children. It's a kids franchise and frankly older fans are not that important to Sega's bottom line. 

what would even draw a kid to sonic these days? 

that's what has me confused....

This is something that kinda annoys me.

"Most Sonic fans are kids"

"Most Sonic fans preferred classic series"

"Most Sonic fans argue with each other"

HOW CAN WE BE SURE OF ANY OF THIS?

We're bunch of smartasses on internet, we don't know each other's age, and this forum isn't representing even 0,01% of the fandom.

How can we know anything about numbers? Maybe big corporations with their piles of money and fancy computers can make those calculations. And that's a big "MAYBE" too.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

I legitimately cannot tell if this is sarcasm.

• Thumbs Up 6

51 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

I'd imagine that children have a far easier time liking Sonic than most of the supposed fans like us do. 

But yes, kids do love Sonic and to deny this is straight ignorance.  The entire franchise was quite literally designed to appeal to tweens who felt Mario was "too kiddy" and felt Sonic provided an alternative that made them feel older.  But hey...tweens are still children ya know, so there's that. 

Some of y'all need to start doing your own research and stay off of social media, it's giving some of you a skewered view about this series. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, its definitely very attractive for kids. It might not be in your face all the time but its easy to find. Hell, coming out of the Sonic movie, two 5 or 6 year old boys were explaining to their mom who the two-tailed fox was at the end of the film. Then one of them said, "and there's a pink one too--!" probably about to go into a whole spiel about Amy next.

Then there's Twitter posts that sometimes end up in my feed thanking Ian or IDW because of how much their son or daughter loves the comics. I saw a post the other day of a young boy doing Whisper the Wolf cosplay with the parent explaining in the post that she was his favorite character.

Its nice taking a step or two out of the echo chamber.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

As someone with cousins who just got into Sonic because of the movie I'd say it's just that Sonic is cool.

Besides let's not pretend any of us had a great idea of what made a game good or bad when we were kids. I've seen people go to bat for 06 just because they liked it as kids.

Just went to the IDW app to download issue 36 today, and the app is now saying it does not release until 13 January. Ffs.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

As far as the whole Sonic for kids thing goes, the bottom line is this: unlike adults, kids don’t give a fuck if Sonic is Classic, Modern, Boom, Movie, or whatever—as long as it’s fun and entertaining, Sonic is Sonic. Period. End of discussion.

Anyone trying to frame this as skewing one way or another is talking out of their ass, because chances are unlikely that they have any official statistics backing them by today’s standard.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

So, I haven't even started on the IDW series. Despite the years, I am still very, very salty over how the Archie situation ended. I feel like starting it, now, would make me unfairly critical to IDW.

That being said, I wound up seeing scans over some of Eggman's lines and it does make me excited because his portayal is very similar to how I viewed the guy. This, in particular.

Spoiler

bjvnsxn2f6j21.jpg

He's more than capable of just ending Sonic at a moment's notice and he's aware of that, but his ego means he has to do it in a very specific way.  He's crazy, not incapable. He gets into his own way.

Some point, I want to read this. Just taking a very long time.

• Thumbs Up 6

We got another cover, this time by Evan Stanley

You'll need Rings as you enter... the Twilight Zone!

Spoiler

ErjzOTDXUAAr_QO?format=jpg&name=medium

• Thumbs Up 1

kids don’t give a fuck if Sonic is Classic, Modern, Boom, Movie, or whatever—as long as it’s fun and entertaining, Sonic is Sonic. Period. End of discussion.

Depends on the kid. As a kid, I was DEEPLY UPSET when Sonic got redesigned and for the longest time resented modern Sonic. And this was me in grade school, too. Even into my teen yeas I held onto that modern Sonic resentment (for the design- I did like games like SA2 and stuff, but hated the long quills on Sonic and missed Jaleel White).

Of course, that's me being someone who grew up at the height of Sonic's popularity. I'm... honestly not sure how kids who're Sonic fans now feel about the different iteration. I'd assume it also varies somewhat? Some kids might be more inquisitive or informed.

#36 is out now, for those interested. I have a feeling people might be pretty happy with a small detail at the end, as well 👀

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

#36 is out now, for those interested. I have a feeling people might be pretty happy with a small detail at the end, as well 👀

I am

• Fist Bump 3

Spoiler

I can't believe Team Fighters are fucking dead

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

We got another cover, this time by Evan Stanley

You'll need Rings as you enter... the Twilight Zone!

Hide contents

ErjzOTDXUAAr_QO?format=jpg&name=medium

So, the issue and overall the arc...

Spoiler

- Clutch didn't have much presence, but still, he could have been as well absent considering there wasn't much use for him, and the focus was on Belle and Dr. Starline to set up the next arcs, which were more interesting characters and appearances anyway.

- The Chao part was also pretty useless, but cute as it turned out to be an adventure. I like how Cream tells everything to her mom and Amy and Rouge are embarassed, terrible baby sitters.

- Dr. Starline's plan is to... clone Tails? He got what he needed, a piece of fur. I wonder who the other experiment is gonna be. Something tells me it's Eggman, and he wants to clone the geniuses for his mastermind team?

- Belle was exposed by Tails, he finds out she can read the data or something, and she still didn't confirm who her creator is, but we know it's Tinker. Very interesting for the next arc...

- Of course, Shadow saved everyone for like, the third time in a row, teamed up with Sonic to stop the avalanche, and his debt with Sonic was mentioned, at the end he surprisingly even keeps and feeds the Shadow Chao, I was hoping for that, so I'm very happy. Also, there were no other jerk Shadow moments after the preview.

Overall great arc, there was a lot of meat in it so it was kind of confused with so many subplots but the interactions were great, the mystery, the cast, the action, set-up for next stories, the tone is also exactly what I needed after a dark depressing arc.

I got some issues with this arc, but overall it wasn't bad. I'll give it a 7/10, and I'll elaborate on that score later. Not bad for Evan's first official outing.

8 hours ago, The Deleter said:

Do you think that you can please tell me the detail, I read it myself

1 hour ago, Leebo4 said:

Do you think that you can please tell me the detail, I read it myself

I'm assuming he means Closet Chao Dad:

WsCk5Le.jpg