Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Master Emerald.... doesn't do anything?

.... You know, this might be a good news. Yes, things got so bad, that they somehow broke on other site. In a sad way.

See, when they claimed "two worlds" or "shadow doesn't care about his team" we had no idea if we should take this as fact or ignore it. Now I know for sure that it's time to ignore them. If information isn't supported by the actual game, I will ignore it.

I mean, what if another "word of god" says that Tails is made out of spaghetti? Will we just accept that bellowed character we followed for twenty years was cooked pasta all this time and we just didn't noticed?

• Chuckle 3

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

If information isn't supported by the actual game, ignore it.

This is info you have to wait for, for obvious reasons...

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Master Emerald.... doesn't do anything?

.... You know, this might be a good news. Yes, things got so bad, that they broke on other site again. In a sad way.

See, when they claimed "two worlds" or "shadow doesn't care about his team" we had no idea if we should take this as fact or ignore it. Now I know for sure that it's time to ignore them. If information isn't supported by the actual game, ignore it.

I mean, what if another "word of god" says that Tails is made out of spaghetti? Will we just accept that bellowed character we followed for twenty years was cooked pasta all this time and we just didn't noticed?

This is also pretty important. Nobody makes franchises understandable only by keeping up with online interview. They're never gonna show the Master Emerald not doing anything, because there'd be no point in that. It just means that we'll see less of the Master Emerald in the future, but that's not that surprising, it hasn't been relevant in a long time.

Cover A of Issue #44. This is the last issue of the upcoming Zeti arc iirc.

E12EShHXsAAmBaK?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

Okay, based on previous issues, and the hints of what's coming, I do like how this season feels more focused and smaller compared to the other arcs, it's a change and while the last issue was really boring, Chao Races arc was a lot of stuff mashed together, I'm really curious to see where Belle and Starline's stories end up, what the ultimate direction is leading to issue 50. 

I hope Zavok plays a part too. The main thing I'm worried about is the pacing and not enough interesting pieces of story material, maybe, I dunno though, I remain curious for now. It's just taking forever to get to the interesting point of the story.

Why are the deadly six a challrnge to sonic all of a sudden, sonic is beyond them in capabilities and fights stronger threats beyond them like shadow, metal sonic and time eater.

8 minutes ago, SnooPigu said:

Why are the deadly six a challrnge to sonic all of a sudden, sonic is beyond them in capabilities and fights stronger threats beyond them like shadow, metal sonic and time eater.

Because a story with no conflict is boring.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:25 PM, Razule said:

Oh yeah, that was definitely another thing that annoyed me. I get that no organic character has used it to transform in the games before, but to claim it can't do something that it has done and was one of its two main purposes is so strange. Does it even keep Angel Island afloat anymore, or does it just fly on its own magically?

Why? What do they gain from this? Retconning it into being essentially just a giant green rock that doesn't do anything so Knuckles is more justified in leaving it?

If that is the case, I hope they had a sit down between the end of year one and now to discuss that option because they're the ones who wanted Knuckles to stick to the island in the first place.

On 5/19/2021 at 4:28 PM, Kazhnuz said:

To be fair, about this one I would wait to know how much there is some translation stuff or if it's genuine. How much it's that they didn't thought it would work in this case (for instance if it's against the Zeti, if it would work against the emerald scattered) or how much it would work in general. Stuff like character changing, or the overall universe doesn't surprise me that much, but here it seems a bit weird that they could go to forbid it "in general" and it wouldn't be the first time that we believe that a "mandate" is more broad that it really was.

That's a fair point. I imagine his dummied presence in Unleashed could've had him try to help Sonic and Chip off the bat, only to learn that the involvement of Dark Gaia is somehow keeping him from restoring their energy instantly.

20 hours ago, Celestia said:

Considering it's ability to neutralize the Chaos Emeralds came up in the first arc of this comic, either it's a context thing like you're saying (I hadn't thought of that but it's definitely plausible), or whoever is in charge of these things changed their minds arbitrarily since then (which is also plausible...sometimes I wonder if it's a revolving door of people Ian's in contact with and they make these calls on the fly, lol).

I've wondered that myself once or twice. After all, it was generally a representative licensor who would approve each comic.

19 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Basically someone up in Sega has never actually written a story before...

Or experienced the stories that involved this topic, for that matter

5 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

New Variant Cover

Hide contents

E11sM37WQAUBPUh?format=jpg&name=large

So many meme worthy faces 

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Cover A of Issue #44. This is the last issue of the upcoming Zeti arc iirc.

E12EShHXsAAmBaK?format=jpg&name=900x900

Ew, Starling, don't give robots that look...

4 hours ago, Slashy said:

Can IDW just ban "Bad Guys invade a town" plots?

What's wrong with them?

47 minutes ago, SnooPigu said:

I'm guessing because they're taking him on at once since, outside of World's Unite, they've really only fought him one at a time. 

That and there's wasn't much collateral to worry about since they were in specific meetups on the Lost Hex instead of...what town are they in again?

Just now, DabigRG said:

What's wrong with them?

Too repetitive, it allows Ian to continue to make villain motivations simple and not world build.

1 hour ago, SnooPigu said:

Were they...not a challenge to him in a plot context in Lost World? Sure the boss fights weren't but like they they turned the badniks against Eggman and forced them all to retreat and hide away. 

10 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Too repetitive, it allows Ian to continue to make villain motivations simple and not world build.

Oh. It's like he's been pressed not to do much of that.

To be fair, it can work as a neat Phase One of a villain plan while also making them an immediate threat. Rough & Tumble(and to be honest, half of the Zeti had they gone solo as previously hinted) were just kinda screwing people over for the fun of it and have no real aspirations beyond asserting themselves. Eggman & Starline attacked towns as a small part of their eventual takeover plans, using them either testing grounds for whatever invention they were using it for at the time or a deliberate bait to draw Sonic in. In the context of this arc, the Zeti are trying to reconvene and presumably wreak havoc on the way because that's either just what they do or because they simply encounter the heroes and get into it.

That said, I suppose I can be said that it has been over relied upon as a convenient instigating incident. So...yeah, I see your point.

5 hours ago, SnooPigu said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "all of a sudden" since its not like we've ever been given an explicit rundown of how strong they are in comparison to those things you mentioned. Their powers are also fairly destructive in general, not even including the part where they can control machines. Then there's the individual abilities some have like Zor with his weird dark magic/shadow powers and Zik with his telekenesis. Zavok has super strength, flame breath, and can turn giant.

If anything the boss battles in Lost World being so piss easy did them a disservice.

Besides, if proof came out that they were ever stronger than those things people would just deny it or call bullshit because they hate em. That's how internet logic works.

• Thumbs Up 9

You know what screw it I'm just going to say it I like the Deadly Six. I think they're fun. Yeah they're not super developed but honestly what Sonic characters are?

42 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

You know what screw it I'm just going to say it I like the Deadly Six. I think they're fun. Yeah they're not super developed but honestly what Sonic characters are?

This isn't really as positive of a statement as you might think it is. 

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

This isn't really as positive of a statement as you might think it is. 

I'm sorry but I don't mind that Sonic is a simplistic series. It's not deep and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just a fun adventure series and for me at least I don't need it to be uber serious all the time.

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

I'm sorry but I don't mind that Sonic is a simplistic series. It's not deep and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just a fun adventure series and for me at least I don't need it to be uber serious all the time.

You don't have to imply that somehow means the series shouldn't be serious at all though is what I'm saying. If you prefer it to be simplistic fine, but you often make it seem like that you have to justify yourself whenever somebody says otherwise. 

17 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

You don't have to imply that somehow means the series shouldn't be serious at all though is what I'm saying. If you prefer it to be simplistic fine, but you often make it seem like that you have to justify yourself whenever somebody says otherwise. 

I don't think that's what I'm saying at all. I like the Metal Virus Saga. I like Adventure and Unleashed.

My problem is when it goes too far. For me where SA2 goes in its last story is the limit. I don't know to me when you have government cover ups involving murdered children driving Eggman's grandpa insane and attempting genocide you've gone way too far from serious are just trying to make your cartoon mascot game feel like something it's not. 

31 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I don't think that's what I'm saying at all. I like the Metal Virus Saga. I like Adventure and Unleashed.

My problem is when it goes too far. For me where SA2 goes in its last story is the limit. I don't know to me when you have government cover ups involving murdered children driving Eggman's grandpa insane and attempting genocide you've gone way too far from serious are just trying to make your cartoon mascot game feel like something it's not. 

There’s far worse than that in your average Disney animated movie, particularly during its golden age.

If anything, the Metal Virus arc goes far beyond anything done in SA2’s last story given it’s an apocalypse caused by straight up bioterrorism—that’s something you’d typically see in a series like Resident Evil, not Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just occurred to me, but what exactly does Zavok and I guess now Starline have in mind for the town/Belle I wonder?

5 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "all of a sudden" since its not like we've ever been given an explicit rundown of how strong they are in comparison to those things you mentioned. Their powers are also fairly destructive in general, not even including the part where they can control machines. Then there's the individual abilities some have like Zor with his weird dark magic/shadow powers and Zik with his telekenesis. Zavok has super strength, flame breath, and can turn giant.

If anything the boss battles in Lost World being so piss easy did them a disservice.

Besides, if proof came out that they were ever stronger than those things people would just deny it or call bullshit because they hate em. That's how internet logic works.

Guess it'd explain why Eggman was not only confident they'd be able to handle Sonic, but was interested in "making them stronger" once he gets control of them again.

25 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

There’s far worse than that in your average Disney animated movie, particularly during its golden age.

If anything, the Metal Virus arc goes far beyond anything done in SA2’s last story given it’s an apocalypse caused by straight up bioterrorism—that’s something you’d typically see in a series like Resident Evil, not Sonic the Hedgehog.

To be fair Disney movies are generally self-contained and define their themes from beginning to end.

36 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

See to me the Metal Virus just feels like rising stakes. It's just more stuff piling on until we see how Sonic and Co get out of it. Stuff like Shadow's backstory just feels like they're going "look at us we're so mature" and just kept escalating until Sonic 06 where the story was so focused on being dark it forgot to actually y'know have a story that makes even the slightest bit of sense. 

4 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I’m going to be real with you bro I think you should stop being a contrarian or the sake of being one. 

35 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

See to me the Metal Virus just feels like rising stakes. It's just more stuff piling on until we see how Sonic and Co get out of it. Stuff like Shadow's backstory just feels like they're going "look at us we're so mature" and just kept escalating until Sonic 06 where the story was so focused on being dark it forgot to actually y'know have a story that makes even the slightest bit of sense. 

That has less to do with how dark and mature the content is and more to do with writing quality, and it’s largely agreed that stories like ShTH and Sonic 06 weren’t that good anyway for plenty of reasons beyond how mature they wanted to be seen as.

But even then, we’re calling a spade a spade here—the Metal Virus is astronomically darker than the conspiracy and military raid revealed SA2’s Last Story that people exaggerate as being too dark for a cartoon mascot game. To say government conspiracies and genocide aren’t unsuitable for a cartoony mascot franchise, but content like bioterrorism in the same franchise feels like rising stakes, is a glaring double standard if there ever was one given that neither are what you’d expect in something like Sonic the Hedgehog and are more in the range of series like Resident Evil, especially something like the Metal Virus.

45 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair Disney movies are generally self-contained and define their themes from beginning to end.

I’m not talking about the themes, I’m talking about the content: conspiracies, genocide, offscreen murder of children (much less bad guys trying to shoot them onscreen with realistic bullets in movies like the Incredibles), Disney has treaded into far darker content than what SA2 has had.

And that’s just Disney. Dreamworks with Kung Fu Panda has genocide in an action-comedy about talking animals doing martial arts.

What Disney animated works hasn’t done, to my knowledge, is bioterrorism. And that’s keeping Star Wars and Marvel out of it.

• Thumbs Up 1