Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

9 minutes ago, Razule said:
  Hide contents

This is based on the game world, and we've never seen any conflict caused by something not related to Eggman. Aside from the Black Arms, but that was the human world. Or the Battle Birds, but that's classic canon. And we've been trapped on the animal planet, which has had a lot less building, so.. not much to work with right now.

Yeah but don't establish it as an actual thing. You are kind of going out of your way to make the world feel small doing that.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Slashy said:

Can someone please explain how Sonic's world being

Reveal hidden contents

a peaceful place with no conflict aside from threats related to Eggman

is good world building?

Agreed… in fact, this approach was used by Fleetway early on, but was later retconned away, with alien invaders, inept supervillains, political corruption, etc. 

However, the biggest non-Robotnik conflicts remained in the distant past of the series. One could argue that in a roundabout way, Robotnik and the ROCC were responsible for the supervillains and such anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's probably one of the few things that's starting to make the overall setting feel stale. The excitement on that potential aspect of the book has waned down.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, FlameStream said:

That's probably one of the few things that's starting to make the overall setting feel stale. The excitement on that potential aspect of the book has waned down.

Did you read the latest issue? I am referring to that.

16 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Hide contents

Yeah but don't establish it as an actual thing. You are kind of going out of your way to make the world feel small doing that.

It is pretty limiting to outright say that this early. I'm not sure how much sense it even makes when there's people like the skunks or Babylon Rogues around. Feels like this was from a SEGA note. 

1 minute ago, Razule said:

It is pretty limiting to outright say that this early. I'm not sure how much sense it even makes when there's people like the skunks or Babylon Rogues around. Feels like this was from a SEGA note. 

Maybe because they are low stakes antagonists or for the brap bros mostly threatening due to their connection to Eggman.

it's mostly because there are other threat, but that Eggman (and the D6) are a way other level that destroy entire town, kill hundred of people.

Spoiler

And we have mostly the vision of a Deadly Six member, for which "small threat" are nothing, so I suppose he doesn't really know that they are small thief, and many bandits.

But, I think it kinda fits the thematics of Sonic : we are seeing a kinda pristine "natural" world (which doesn't mean that there is no problem in it, there are thief, bandit, etc… just not that kind of threat) attacked by the industrial tyran Eggman. It also explain quite well why inhabitant have so much trouble and need heroes, and why they don't have big political structure like the Human World. In a way, they're kinda like the state of nature of Rousseau (just kinda, because their society is more structured than the state of nature).

But that's also why I hope we'll get the human world soon : it'll make the contrast really cool, and can be a good source of conflict between our character (that are kinda utopic) and a more "stern" human world. I still want for instance my angry Sonic against a GUN officier explaining that they didn't helped them agaisnt Eggman because they prefered to protect their own world from a possible invasion now that Eggman had a territory :'D

In a way, It remind me a bit of the few first Sonic X episode, where Eggman had trouble with how structured and complex the human world was, for instance where he said stuff like "TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER" and was annoyed because there is always one more leader XD

So I think it's cool, but to be really well used, it needs the human world to have the kind of contrast that such a world need. But I think that it's the kind of things that show that they want to keep the human world. I mean, I think that if they didn't want to keep it "somewhere", they would just make the Sonic World a "complete" world and wouldn't characterize it so much as different from our world.

About the rest of the issues :

Spoiler

Starline finally start really using his brain, nice, even if the tricore is still OP. I like how his obsession about "not being Eggman" is starting to become a bit like Eggman's obsession about Sonic. I still wounder what his endgame is.

And I liked the attack on the resistence base, especially WITH THAT FRIGGIN' TRUCK XD

5 hours ago, Slashy said:

Reveal hidden contents

is good world building?

Honestly has this ever been different in the Sonic franchise? 

6 hours ago, Slashy said:

Hide contents

is good world building?

...because it establishes the world as a nice place worth protecting? I mean, what's the problem with it supposed to be? Sonic's world is a mostly peaceful place. It's not utopian, there's still assholes around causing trouble, but it's far from the kind of dog-eat-dog, kill-or-be-killed world the D6 come from.

• Thumbs Up 8

7 hours ago, Slashy said:

Reveal hidden contents

is good world building?

It's not, but it keeps things simple and that's their only real intent on the worldbuilding side. They're not out to impress anybody.

8 hours ago, Slashy said:

Reveal hidden contents

is good world building?

Its not supposed to be world building. Its meant to establish the Deadly Six are assholes who can't comprehend the idea of peace.

Not everything is related to world building 

• Thumbs Up 8

Outside of Starline and Sonic I kinda just slogged through this one. So instead of repeating complaints about the 6 I'll move on to what I liked. I'm curious as to what Starline's endgame is as well as his need to be different. I think it's an interesting way to go with him. What use Belle can be I have no idea. I wouldn't think of any but surely there is something. I'm still more interested in what the Tails sample he got will be used for. He brought it up again so it's not forgotten.

Sonic grabbed my attention too just with how he is SOOOO DONE with this shit. Like damn it looked like he was cursing in his head and just had enough. Maybe the back to back stuff is taking a toll on him and we might get some angry Sonic hero stuff. Who knows. I'd love to see him beat the crap out of the 6 to the point he has to be told to be stop that they're beaten.

• Thumbs Up 1

This issue was alright, I kinda liked the SA-pose Zeena did in that one panel. But besides that, I still have no real clue in which direction the comic is going now.   

Sonic #42. It's.... fine I guess? It has a whiff of a mid-arc filler, but I'm not annoyed by this.

Few disconnected thoughts

- Yardley is better than I remember. I kinda grew to think that he started new era back in Archie 160 with quality art, but also I that he's been since out-shined by likes of AB Thomas or Skelly. But this issue is really nice, like Sonic boost, or Zeti entrance.

- Despite being on the cover, team "IDW girls" does nothing. I just hope next 2 issue will remedy that.

- The "peaceful world" controversy. I'm kinda okay with it.
The way I interpret it is "crime rate on Mobius is much lower than on Earth". It fits with Sonic world. Rush 1 implied that Mobius is surprisingly friendly.
And it's not boring, because while most of the world is nice, threstill are still criminals like Clutch, Skunks or Rouges.
(Of course logically it's hilarious that world that gets invaded by Eggman every Tuesday has no SHIELD counterpart. We don't have aliens and water gods, but FBI still exists. But I guess Son
ic is always there to save the day, so no one cares).

Which brings me to spoilers

Spoiler

- I'm kinda annoyed that Sonic got there in minutes. I mean, we spent so much focus on clever plan of misdirection.... for pretty much nothing.  Before they burned down two villages, now they barely broke few windows.

- Ugh, Starline and Belle again? I just complained that Zavok is back too soon. See what I mean when I complain that world feels small? I honestly expect Mimic and Skunk duo to return by #50.
But hey, I did wanted more subplots, so maybe I should shut it.

45 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sonic #42. It's.... fine I guess? It has a whiff of a mid-arc filler, but I'm not annoyed by this.

- The "peaceful world" controversy. I'm kinda okay with it.
The way I interpret it is "crime rate on Mobius is much lower than on Earth". It fits with Sonic world. Rush 1 implied that Mobius is surprisingly friendly.

Reveal hidden contents

- I'm kinda annoyed that Sonic got there in minutes. I mean, we spent so much focus on clever plan of misdirection.... for pretty much nothing.  Before they burned down two villages, now they barely broke few windows.

- Ugh, Starline and Belle again? I just complained that Zavok is back too soon. See what I mean when I complain that world feels small? I honestly expect Mimic and Skunk duo to return by #50.

GUN is present in Rush. It is human world. Also I wanted a new major villain besides Eggman. Maybe not someone as big as him, but certainly way bigger than low threat crooks like what you mentioned.

Rush have GUN, but TBH it's up to them to decide if it's human or animal world. I kinda prefer having it animal world and saying that the warship was here because reason, as it works better with the "feeling"/"the big picture" of the game.

I don't think that saying that the world is peacefull doesn't mean that they can be new big threat. Even if the world is largely peaceful and the people gentle, it doesn't mean that a third big threat to this world is impossible (Starline could even become that with time, if he manage to do his project). Or they could awaken one day an ancient "magic" evil or something like that. I mean, it could also even be that some people are tired of these new threat trying to destroy everything and would decide to create something "stronger" that the restoration/resistance and create some kind of fascist militia trying to take over the world to save them.

I don't think that this lore element will really forbid getting a new threat : it'll all depend of if or when they find that they need one for their stories. For the moment, they have the Belle story (i'm pretty sure that the 50 arc will be related to Belle) and some plots to tie, but maybe later they'll decide to get a new big threat.

I thought this issue was mostly lame and dull, to be honest, I get that these characters are supposed to be the big focus in "season 3" but it definitely feels repetitive, and do we really need filler at this point? After last arc was spent on 3 action issues leading to Belle's obvious revelation, this feels like more waiting, I kinda want more interesting stuff to happen.

And yeah the "conflict after conflict" also gets boring quickly, I am so ready for the girls camping adventure lol, at least there will be fun interactions and something different, but I am also kinda bored of waiting for the next arc because the current one gets boring very soon. Idk but quality has definitely dropped since the Metal Virus season, it's hard to write consistently good books I guess but, just give me more variety in storytelling and cast.

Spoiler

I think the moment where the characters realize they've been duped is good, but Sonic manages to get back so quickly that it ends up not mattering that much. Would have been cool to see the girls hold their own for a bit.

I don't get the part where Zavok tries to talk up how different Mobius is from the lost hex. They are functionally the same, from what we've seen. Who exactly were the deadly six fighting on their world? eachother?

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Which brings me to spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I mean...it's not like the majority of the overall arc of season 3 is about Belle or anything. 

I don't know it seems like a weird criticism to go "the story that's about this character has too much of the character in it" to me.

13 minutes ago, SBR2 said:
  Hide contents

I mean...it's not like the majority of the overall arc of season 3 is about Belle or anything. 

I don't know it seems like a weird criticism to go "the story that's about this character has too much of the character in it" to me.

It certainly seems like it is. She has been really overused

I'd love to talk about important writing/worldbuilding issues, but I'm far too distracted by

Spoiler

271366020_Screenshot2021-07-21at1_30_27PM.png.af09f63b5438d87d0080485e11612d18.png

I love this.

• Thumbs Up 7

8 minutes ago, Slashy said:

It certainly seems like it is. She has been really overused

That was sarcasm. The arc is absolutely about her.

Spoiler

This issue was fine for me. I loved the Zeti entrance, Sonic's run back, etc. I hope the next issue's fight will be great.

I like the idea of the Zeti being monsters who don't understand the idea of peace. Makes me wonder what kind of life they had on the Lost Hex. Also I like Starline here but I'm not sure how I feel about him being in this arc this early, but its really not a big deal.

Honestly the idea of the animal world being quite peaceful a side from Eggman's actions makes sense. I mean almost every major conflict from the games is caused by Eggman one way or another. Besides that doesn't prevent the world from having more major villains in the future. We already have the D6 and Starline, so I'm sure more will come in due time.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, QZX343 said:
  Hide contents

Honestly the idea of the animal world being quite peaceful a side from Eggman's actions makes sense. I mean almost every major conflict from the games is caused by Eggman one way or another. Besides that doesn't prevent the world from having more major villains in the future. We already have the D6 and Starline, so I'm sure more will come in due time.

Spoiler

Yeah, while I would call this a worldbuilding issue, they are inherently addressing it right away in this issue and the comic series as a whole. We have Rough and Tumble, Starline, and the D6 now, as well as Mimic even... there are plenty of villains now

What exactly did Belle do at White Park to impress Starline? She was just used by Tails to kick him.

I wish she had actually done something actually impressive. It would give a greater justification for Starline to care about her and make her more interesting.