Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

55 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

By conclusion does it mean the end of IDW? Or just that arc?

They mean just arc conclusion. IDW has been talking about the road to #50 for awhile now, plus if the comic was ending there would be news already. No worries!

Edit: Plus we already have news of a movie comic coming along along with reprints of Sonic and Tails related issues. 

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, The KKM said:

No Classic Sonic, yeah. As to what it is? Who knows, who knows :P

Hmmm...I got my eyes on you. That's the second "knowing smile-esq" reply I've seen from you. Keep my eyes on solicits. 

57 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I honestly don't know why you think it'd be the end of the IDW comic. It's IDW's best selling book they're not just going to cancel it. They might renumber at some point. They've been known to do that.

• Thumbs Up 4

39 minutes ago, mitsunari88 said:

They mean just arc conclusion. IDW has been talking about the road to #50 for awhile now, plus if the comic was ending there would be news already. No worries!

Edit: Plus we already have news of a movie comic coming along along with reprints of Sonic and Tails related issues. 

35 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I honestly don't know why you think it'd be the end of the IDW comic. It's IDW's best selling book they're not just going to cancel it. They might renumber at some point. They've been known to do that.

Good to hear. I was just concerned since Archie was intended to end at issue 50 and didn't want to be bamboozled by a sudden finale

• Thumbs Up 1

If IDW ends, they aren't going to announce it.

It'll get pulled just as unceremoniously as Archie was, but that is guaranteed to not be for a long time.

(clarified because I realize this sounds worse than it does lol)

• Thumbs Up 5

It's definitely not ending lol but when it will... I hope they announce it because what happened to Archie was a fucking travesty, it just was not fair for the fans, SEGA didn't care so they didn't give it a proper conclusion or even an announcement that it was ending after 24 years, what the hell...

Anyway, we need more villains and the plot to move forward, this is the exact opposite to what happened to the Archie reboot, which had 10 characters introduced in every new issue, this one has 1 or 2 new characters in every season and they get used too much until people get tired.

I even like Belle and (lately) Starline, I want to see what they come up for their stories and how they are connected but I need to see more than 2 characters as the focus.

• Thumbs Up 1

Will the Free Comic Book day issue be available online to pick up or purchase? IDW website says go to comic stores but I'd rather not.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Will the Free Comic Book day issue be available online to pick up or purchase? IDW website says go to comic stores but I'd rather not.

Yeah, I'd like to know since I don't have any comic book stores where I live, and I don't really want to drive over an hour just for a one shot.

7 hours ago, Jack-al said:

It's definitely not ending lol but when it will... I hope they announce it because what happened to Archie was a fucking travesty, it just was not fair for the fans, SEGA didn't care so they didn't give it a proper conclusion or even an announcement that it was ending after 24 years, what the hell...

Anyway, we need more villains and the plot to move forward, this is the exact opposite to what happened to the Archie reboot, which had 10 characters introduced in every new issue, this one has 1 or 2 new characters in every season and they get used too much until people get tired.

I even like Belle and (lately) Starline, I want to see what they come up for their stories and how they are connected but I need to see more than 2 characters as the focus.

I'd like for them to introduce more characters, especially Starline is the only one introduced so far that I actually like. Tangle, Whisper, Jewel, and Belle just haven't clicked with me at all.

20 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I don't think this series is going to end any time soon.  The series is selling pretty well right now and there's still a lot of story to cover, so I think that this series will keep going through issue 50.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

I'm guessing it'll be stuffed into an annual at some point, but otherwise I don't think it'll be uploaded online.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

They've said a few times that the FCBD story will be included in the Deluxe hardcover edition of the Anniversary special that's coming in October.

7 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Yeah, I'd like to know since I don't have any comic book stores where I live, and I don't really want to drive over an hour just for a one shot.

I'd like for them to introduce more characters, especially Starline is the only one introduced so far that I actually like. Tangle, Whisper, Jewel, and Belle just haven't clicked with me at all.

...Are you not fond of female characters?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

15 hours ago, Jack-al said:

If it makes you feel better, I think all the silence with Archie was more the lawsuits and everything. Still was wrong of Archie/SEGA to do, but I don't think it would be repeated. Sonic Boom got canceled and they were more clear and open with that.

When the lawsuit came however, they tried to be so under the table and sneaky in a way that was disrespectful to readers. Assuming nobody tries to sue SEGA and everything is amicable, I think Ian at least would share if/when IDW ends.

19 minutes ago, mitsunari88 said:

Sonic Boom got canceled and they were more clear and open with that.

I don't think it was really the lawsuit with Fulop; Sega just didn't renew the license with Archie in 2017 (granted, the lawsuit was likely why they didn't) and Archie straight up lied to their subscribers about it for months. The comic was still regularly solicited. Presumably even the staff were in the dark or were under the impression things would get back to normal because there was a similar "break" for part of 2016 before the announcement of "Mega Drive," which I only say because we have pages in finished penciled stages for some of the unreleased issues. So I don't believe it had as much bearing or impact despite being a factor because Archie was barely holding it together in 2015/16 anyway trying to manage their imprints.

Even before all that trouble started Archie was lying to people. Boom was planned to continue in the magazines/digests and had some reruns before quietly disappearing (and before those disappeared too), and Mega Man was called a "hiatus" before sitting on the license for five years--and Capcom wasn't even the company Archie was in trouble with. I even fell for the latter because I had no reason to believe they'd say otherwise because typically these sorts of books do just end regardless of the publisher's relationship with the license holder, and it wasn't until I saw what they were doing with Sonic that I saw just how mismanaged the entire imprint was.

• Thumbs Up 5

56 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I don't think it was really the lawsuit with Fulop; Sega just didn't renew the license with Archie in 2017 (granted, the lawsuit was likely why they didn't) and Archie straight up lied to their subscribers about it for months. The comic was still regularly solicited. Presumably even the staff were in the dark or were under the impression things would get back to normal because there was a similar "break" for part of 2016 before the announcement of "Mega Drive," which I only say because we have pages in finished penciled stages for some of the unreleased issues. So I don't believe it had as much bearing or impact despite being a factor because Archie was barely holding it together in 2015/16 anyway trying to manage their imprints.

Even before all that trouble started Archie was lying to people. Boom was planned to continue in the magazines/digests and had some reruns before quietly disappearing (and before those disappeared too), and Mega Man was called a "hiatus" before sitting on the license for five years--and Capcom wasn't even the company Archie was in trouble with. I even fell for the latter because I had no reason to believe they'd say otherwise because typically these sorts of books do just end regardless of the publisher's relationship with the license holder, and it wasn't until I saw what they were doing with Sonic that I saw just how mismanaged the entire imprint was.

Thanks for providing some additional context. I did not know all of this, which makes it worse that what I knew. I just remembered the part of Archie being silent, but I didn't know this much. 

Spoiler

...is the Imposter Syndrome Arc just a convoluted plan to create a new version of Scourge and other anti-version of characters?

If so, I'm all for it.

11 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

9 hours ago, SkullPirateMike said:

They've said a few times that the FCBD story will be included in the Deluxe hardcover edition of the Anniversary special that's coming in October.

17 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Not a definite answer, but IDW have released their FCBD issues of IDW TMNT on their app before, especially when there's original story stuff in it, so keep an eye on Comixlogy and IDW's comic app.

I read Free Comic Book Day '21. It's ... fine.

Simple short story with "ooh, an Easter egg" moments. I didn't expected more anyway, but Amy's comics could been better. They really plain, only think that made me smile was changing the dialogue. (Also if her last drawing was meant to be Modern Sonic -like then I consider this a plus).

On semi-related topic. I miss Knuckles a little. Amy and Tails been getting decent amount of screen time between FCBD, 30th special or Chaos Races and Eggman's Weird Test World.  I hope Flynn came up with new excuse to bring back our echidna, preferably with Rouge at his side. (Or Blaze. But I kinda accepted that Blaze always gets the short end of a badger)

Maybe he'll be star of this "Impostor Syndrome" thing.
Reasons for that

Spoiler

1 It's just a law that Core Cast must show up regularly
2 If Starline has 2 warriors in store and was after Tails DNA, Knuckles sounds like logical 2nd subject. He ignored everyone else in Chao Races arc.
2 Imposter Syndrome means questioning your self worth and successes (been there) and I feel Knuckles is one of most likely candidates for this.

I would suspect Belle, but she's gonna be busy in main book.

• Thumbs Up 2

E84wp6DXIAI5oqY?format=jpg&name=mediumE84wp6JXEAEOsiF?format=jpg&name=mediumE84wp6-X0AMCAKL?format=jpg&name=mediumE84wqAQWEAAF_Y9?format=jpg&name=large

Tracy Yardley: Don’t think I showed these before. The 6 idea thumbnails and the pencils for the cover I did for the Sonic FCBD book.
I think option 3 would have been a lot of fun to do also

I really like #3 & #6

• Thumbs Up 1

There is no mandate for Knuckles to show up... if anything SEGA likes him (only in the comics for some reason) to stay on Angel Island lol

But yeah, I miss Knuckles, Blaze, Silver, the comic should use them, Shadow at least had a more recent appearance.

The miniseries and its "characters", I hope they do interesting and creative things with them, and they are not just lazy.

11 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

That... Could be possible, I wouldn't put any of the female Sonic characters on my favorite list so maybe.

But they just didn't add much to the universe, and if anything, diverted attention away from some of the game characters that really could've used their own miniseries instead, like Knuckles, Team Dark, or the Chaotix. I mostly read the comics in the trades, so forgive me if I'm wrong but Belle being made by Mr. Tinker was both obvious from the beginning and just leaves me wondering what the significance of it is. Starline added another major villain, had a major impact on the main comic, and gave Eggman a new Snively

3 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Belle being made by Mr. Tinker was both obvious from the beginning

Nah, you're not wrong. It's a great character design because of the context, but it also added absolutely no new mystery at all. We knew from the beginning, lol. Belle is a pretty boring character over all, IMO. But I do like Tangle, Whisper, and Jewel.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/14/2021 at 1:01 PM, Kuzu said:

And it would seem a new mini-series for Classic Sonic has been confirmed plus the next story arc after Zeti Hunt.

Battle for the Empire huh? Wonder what 50 is gonna be then

On 8/14/2021 at 1:14 PM, Jack-al said:

I hope it's not a Mimic thing as people are suggesting but

Hide contents

Clone doppelgangers aka the long term plans by Dr. Starline

Plus who is the female baddie teased by Ian? There are a lot of theories including Lanolin being a spy or an evil Belle reprogrammed by Eggman.

Spoiler

Unfortunately, Bad Guys ended with Mimic voicing his intentions of going after Whisper.

Also, female villain?

On 8/14/2021 at 5:01 PM, mitsunari88 said:

On 8/14/2021 at 9:54 PM, Meta77 said:

I would like to see a big female villain for once.

What might this villainess bring to the table, perchance? 

On 8/15/2021 at 4:35 AM, Jack-al said:

Uh, do they? Cause it's really just been Belle and arguably Starline thus far, with the others either getting one or two sizeable pops before going back on the bus or being little more than a footnote to begin with--Jewel and Clutch in particular don't even clock in as Advertised Extras.

And that applies to the game cast(outside of Sonic and friggin Shadow) as well, with the Chaotix popping up very seldomly, Knuckles and Blaze being perpetually benched, Rouge, Omega, & Cream playing support, and the Zeti situation joining Amy & Tinker the list of rushed plot points to be decoys.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:45 AM, CertifiedNobody said:

22 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

There's also Rough & Tumble, Mimic, and Clutch.

19 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

...is the Imposter Syndrome Arc just a convoluted plan to create a new version of Scourge and other anti-version of characters?

If so, I'm all for it.

Wasn't the whole point to stop being just that, though?

15 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

On semi-related topic. I miss Knuckles a little. Amy and Tails been getting decent amount of screen time between FCBD, 30th special or Chaos Races and Eggman's Weird Test World.  I hope Flynn came up with new excuse to bring back our echidna, preferably with Rouge at his side. (Or Blaze. But I kinda accepted that Blaze always gets the short end of a badger)

Maybe he'll be star of this "Impostor Syndrome" thing.
Reasons for that

Hide contents

1 It's just a law that Core Cast must show up regularly
2 If Starline has 2 warriors in store and was after Tails DNA, Knuckles sounds like logical 2nd subject. He ignored everyone else in Chao Races arc.
2 Imposter Syndrome means questioning your self worth and successes (been there) and I feel Knuckles is one of most likely candidates for this.

I would suspect Belle, but she's gonna be busy in main book.

Yeah, really could go for another Knuckles, Blaze, or Chaotix arc about now. Maybe finally bring in Sticks or Marine, while we're at it.

14 hours ago, Jack-al said:

There is no mandate for Knuckles to show up... if anything SEGA likes him (only in the comics for some reason) to stay on Angel Island lol

It's actually both--the technical mandate is that Knuckles doesn't leave Angel Island under most circumstances, even when the rest of the world is in danger.

This even stopped him from teaming up with Espio to fight Zazz. Which might've been more of a landslide, to be fair, but Flynn still argued until he realized there read nothin doin.

11 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

That... Could be possible, I wouldn't put any of the female Sonic characters on my favorite list so maybe.

But they just didn't add much to the universe, and if anything, diverted attention away from some of the game characters that really could've used their own miniseries instead, like Knuckles, Team Dark, or the Chaotix. I mostly read the comics in the trades, so forgive me if I'm wrong but Belle being made by Mr. Tinker was both obvious from the beginning and just leaves me wondering what the significance of it is. Starline added another major villain, had a major impact on the main comic, and gave Eggman a new Snively

Whisper was added as both an allusion to the Avatar system from Forces and to have a character that acted very differently from most of the cast. She also gives the Wisps a more meaningful vessel and is the sorta character type Shadow/Blaze/Tails once were but developed out of.

Rough and Tumble were added to be more comical C-listers, which ended up being hammered in once the Classic embargo was established.

Jewel was conceived as Tails/Cream for Tangle that ended up becoming a leader figure for Restoration due to her intricate personality, freeing up Amy of that burden.

Clutch was introduced as a Renfield/Ebony type connoisseur arc villain for Cream with the Chao Races, but sorta becomes a Fang expy before dropping out.

And Tangle...yeah, admittedly I was pretty critical of her character in part because of that, but one Bumblekast sort of explained that she was basically testing the waters of what they could do with new characters for IDW right out the gate.