Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

There's no way the IDW series is going to be cancelled anytime soon. The series is selling pretty well and Sonic's brand is having more exposure now because of the movies and the Netflix TV show, so it's probably going to sell even better from now on.

Archie comics series only ended because of the lawsuit. Sega chose to end the relationship with Archie and license the comics to a more professional company, that's all

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Whisper was added as both an allusion to the Avatar system from Forces and to have a character that acted very differently from most of the cast. She also gives the Wisps a more meaningful vessel and is the sorta character type Shadow/Blaze/Tails once were but developed out of.

Rough and Tumble were added to be more comical C-listers, which ended up being hammered in once the Classic embargo was established.

Jewel was conceived as Tails/Cream for Tangle that ended up becoming a leader figure for Restoration due to her intricate personality, freeing up Amy of that burden.

Clutch was introduced as a Renfield/Ebony type connoisseur arc villain for Cream with the Chao Races, but sorta becomes a Fang expy before dropping out.

And Tangle...yeah, admittedly I was pretty critical of her character in part because of that, but one Bumblekast sort of explained that she was basically testing the waters of what they could do with new characters for IDW right out the gate.

I like Whisper's design and her being a reference to the Avatar system, but she doesn't interest me beyond that.

I can't believe I forgot about Rough and Tumble. Their Team Rocket gimmick always steals the scene.

Jewel makes sense story-wise and as the Flight character for Team IDW, but just like with Whisper, that doesn't translate to making her personality appeal to me.

I'm actually not at the Chao Races yet. I only have up to the end and epilogue of the Metal Virus arc, and I'm waiting on more trades to release (I still need the Bad Guys miniseries (I always mix up that title with Sonic Villains) though. Who knows, maybe I'll end up liking Clutch.

Tangle is probably the most "ok-ish" one to me, since she's probably the only person who's reacted to Sonic's adventures the way someone realistically would. Though I like her design and idea of playing as her with a tail grapple more than I actually do her.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

It's actually both--the technical mandate is that Knuckles doesn't leave Angel Island under most circumstances, even when the rest of the world is in danger.

This even stopped him from teaming up with Espio to fight Zazz. Which might've been more of a landslide, to be fair, but Flynn still argued until he realized there read nothin doin.

I actually like this mandate, but even I have to admit they didn’t need to actually make this mandate for the comic team when they were the ones actually keeping Angel Island in mind when writing Knuckles.

At the very least, I know they’re more aware now. So no more Knuckles being involved for little reason more than to hang out with Sonic instead of guarding one of the single most powerful objects of the setting.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Battle for the Empire huh? Wonder what 50 is gonna be then

Reveal hidden contents

Unfortunately, Bad Guys ended with Mimic voicing his intentions of going after Whisper.

Also, female villain?

What might this villainess bring to the table, perchance? 

Uh, do they? Cause it's really just been Belle and arguably Starline thus far, with the others either getting one or two sizeable pops before going back on the bus or being little more than a footnote to begin with--Jewel and Clutch in particular don't even clock in as Advertised Extras.

And that applies to the game cast(outside of Sonic and friggin Shadow) as well, with the Chaotix popping up very seldomly, Knuckles and Blaze being perpetually benched, Rouge, Omega, & Cream playing support, and the Zeti situation joining Amy & Tinker the list of rushed plot points to be decoys.

There's also Rough & Tumble, Mimic, and Clutch.

Wasn't the whole point to stop being just that, though?

Yeah, really could go for another Knuckles, Blaze, or Chaotix arc about now. Maybe finally bring in Sticks or Marine, while we're at it.

1. issue 50 will most likely be the immediate outcome of whoever wins in the fight for the empire. What i see happening is by the end of it Starline reveals his enforcers and going forward they will be the next big threat.

2. A female villian like the dark queen. It would just be nice to see a female be just as evil and twisted as the guys. Cause usually that is all we get and even when we did get some they were never just that evil. but I am still waiting to see someone truly evil in the comics show up. Eggman has made some pretty good strides although he did seem to miss being mr tinker even if for a moment.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just realized I forgot Mimic and Lanolin, for good reason: the former is an unused Archie villain who was brought in to be a villain for Whisper and the latter is a really nice background character design who was liked enough to keep popping up anytime the artist did pencils until Evan Stanley pitched & got her approved in case she decides to use her.

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I like Whisper's design and her being a reference to the Avatar system, but she doesn't interest me beyond that.

Jewel makes sense story-wise and as the Flight character for Team IDW, but just like with Whisper, that doesn't translate to making her personality appeal to me.

Ah, fair enough. 

I can't believe I forgot about Rough and Tumble. Their Team Rocket gimmick always steals the scene.

Yeah, they're pretty fun. 

I'm actually not at the Chao Races yet. I only have up to the end and epilogue of the Metal Virus arc, and I'm waiting on more trades to release (I still need the Bad Guys miniseries (I always mix up that title with Sonic Villains) though. Who knows, maybe I'll end up liking Clutch.

Oops 😬

Er, maybe

Tangle is probably the most "ok-ish" one to me, since she's probably the only person who's reacted to Sonic's adventures the way someone realistically would. Though I like her design and idea of playing as her with a tail grapple more than I actually do her.

I suppose. "Ascended Fangirl" is sorta her role?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Raphael Martins said:

There's no way the IDW series is going to be cancelled anytime soon. The series is selling pretty well and Sonic's brand is having more exposure now because of the movies and the Netflix TV show, so it's probably going to sell even better from now on.

Archie comics series only ended because of the lawsuit. Sega chose to end the relationship with Archie and license the comics to a more professional company, that's all

I don't see the IDW comics being cancelled any time soon either.  It's still pretty new and it's been selling pretty well so far.  Not to mention that they still have some more stories to tell.

• Thumbs Up 4

40 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

We got a IR Cover and a preview for 43

E9KfuD3WEAA7cT3?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Reveal hidden contents

E9LfIb-WYAYgxys?format=jpg&name=mediumE9LfJZfWQAkE97v?format=jpg&name=mediumE9LfKcUWYAowPMQ?format=jpg&name=medium

That cover has me curious if Eggman will eventually revert back to Mr. Tinker in later stories.  It would be pretty interesting to see how everyone will view Mr. Tinker after everything he has done as Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Reveal hidden contents

E9LfIb-WYAYgxys?format=jpg&name=mediumE9LfJZfWQAkE97v?format=jpg&name=mediumE9LfKcUWYAowPMQ?format=jpg&name=medium

That cover does not bode well ...

Also, I see we have a new/different artist.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Man, I'd love it if some small part of "Mr. Tinker" was still in Eggman, and he ultimately does show some kindness toward Belle in the upcoming issue.

Maybe he hesitates just a moment and ultimately spares her from some dangerous fate or something, I don't know. It'd be neat to see Eggman - even if he ultimately is a villain through and through - still have this faint decent side to him. After all, the "Mr. Tinker" persona had to come from somewhere in Eggman's subconscious, so it's not like he's a wholly different person.

• Thumbs Up 4

Think it'd be funnier if he tried to scrap her if I'm honest. 

Ok but yea, that cover got me a little...Belle's in for a bad time. 

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Reveal hidden contents

How very dare they with that cover!?

This new artist is...interesting. Not terrible but their style gives me serious Jamal Peppers vibes. So much I thought it was Peppers at first. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

How very dare they with that cover!?

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Think it'd be funnier if he tried to scrap her if I'm honest. 

Ok but yea, that cover got me a little...Belle's in for a bad time. 

Ikr? Especially since It doesn't have much of anything to do with the story thus far.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

This new artist is...interesting. Not terrible but their style gives me serious Jamal Peppers vibes. So much I thought it was Peppers at first. 

That's who this reminds me of!

I really liked the small story in the FCBD issue, I just re-read it, really, Classic Amy is lovely and written just as well as she is in the modern IDW comics.

I need more of these fun stories with so much personality.

Tbh, it seems that while yeah, the current saga focuses so much on Belle and Starline, every other sub-plot seems filler or boring, repetitive or overly slow. Things just need to get interesting for these characters again, but I'm interested to see how their stories play out on the road to 50.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, The KKM said:

I'd expect you to be reminded of Jamal Peppers primarily for the fact it's Jamal Peppers :P

The cover says Frose though?

Imposter Syndrome, RI cover and plot descrption:

Spoiler

image0.jpg

Spoiler

Plot synopsis: The ROAD TO #50 continues here! Enjoy a TEN-ISSUE long adventure leading up to the EPIC SHOWDOWN in milestone issue #50. A surge of imposters spells trouble for Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails, and even Eggman! Dr. Starline is pulling every tool from his kit as he creates his fastest and smartest inventions. An all new mini-series from Sonic writer Ian Flynn, Imposter Syndrome #1 will have readers seeing double!

• Thumbs Up 5

24 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

Tbh, it seems that while yeah, the current saga focuses so much on Belle and Starline, every other sub-plot seems filler or boring, repetitive or overly slow. Things just need to get interesting for these characters again, but I'm interested to see how their stories play out on the road to 50.

Yeah, fairly in line with my problem with this arc specifically.

The Chao Racing story was different in that it started out with a unique story focusing on characters who are usually tagalongs to the big names, but then got hijacked by Starline and said big names partway through--leaving the premise itself feeling inconsistent and abandoned. But in Zeti Hunt, we have an "improvement" in how the premise itself is made a sidetrack early--the Deadly Six regrouping with each other before strategizing to attack the Resistance Headquarters is the synopsis in the first part and then part two makes it clear that Sonic, the Chaotix, and Jewel's pushback against them is effectively a distraction from the real story that is Starline abducting Belle in hopes of finding the missing link in his research project.

The Zeti get some neat characterization in the first half of the arc and I'm hoping Jewel gets to do something cool before they are presumably tranq'd, but it's clear that all of the actual intrigue and weight is still with Dr. Starline. And that's a problem because while he has consistently been the most interesting aspect of the comic that pushes the story and there's anticipation in finally seeing the purveyors of his own vision come to life, it makes nearly everything else feel like it's spinning it's wheels in the meantime and even that usually doesn't get quite enough rotations to feel substantial

It also once again shines a light on just how stagnant Belle is as both a new character and a character that's had a subplot determining arc for a fair amount of time now. Most of what made her unique was breezed over in her debut and the main focal point of her arc--she was created by Mr. Tinker--is one that is ultimately unlikely add much on top of being an obvious reveal. And aside from being weird for an Eggman creation, being kinda skittery & in denial about it, and traces of "GollyGeeWillickers" mannerisms, there's not much to her from a character standpoint either. So it feels like her getting consecutive spotlighted once again I'd ultimately reliant on how Starline reacts to her construction and possibly changes what little she is altogether.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jack-al said:

Hide contents

image0.jpg

Hide contents

Plot synopsis: The ROAD TO #50 continues here! Enjoy a TEN-ISSUE long adventure leading up to the EPIC SHOWDOWN in milestone issue #50. A surge of imposters spells trouble for Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails, and even Eggman! Dr. Starline is pulling every tool from his kit as he creates his fastest and smartest inventions. An all new mini-series from Sonic writer Ian Flynn, Imposter Syndrome #1 will have readers seeing double!

So these are totally the partners who pushed back, right?

I mean, look at the little guy--he just drips emo.

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

Is that the Tails clone with water powers...

40 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Oh, man Penders is going to throw a fit! XD

For what?

On 8/20/2021 at 3:51 PM, Jack-al said:

Reveal hidden contents

image0.jpg

This cover bugs me in one way. Cover artists do know where tittle logo starts, right?

For Pete sake, is anyone exited to read the new series "SONIC THE ---FHOG: IM--NORUME"

Honestly it sounds vaguely dirty

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 4

2 hours ago, Jack-al said:

Reveal hidden contents

image0.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Oh damn, that cover was real?!

Spoiler

When I saw it on tumblr I assumed it was some fanartist's mock cover with their OCs. I mean I hate to say "hurr durr this looks like OC" all the time but out of the IDW originals these two have the most...generic? 'hey I seen this design before'? type of look.

Sooooo...

a fake Sonic & Tails, huh. It'd be funny if they were too similar to the duo and rebelled against Starline. Wonder if they're a permanent addition or a temporary one. That and if they're genetically engineered mobians or organic-looking androids? (from Starline's reaction to Belle I assume the latter?) Cuz if they're robots I do not like their looks.

3 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Lmao they're probably Androids

So what you're saying is Silver is gonna have to travel back in time to warn the heroes of the android threat, and give Sonic heart medicine for all those chili dogs that end up killing him from heart failure.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2