Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 hours ago, Jack-al said:

Imposter Syndrome, RI cover and plot descrption:

Hide contents

image0.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Plot synopsis: The ROAD TO #50 continues here! Enjoy a TEN-ISSUE long adventure leading up to the EPIC SHOWDOWN in milestone issue #50. A surge of imposters spells trouble for Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails, and even Eggman! Dr. Starline is pulling every tool from his kit as he creates his fastest and smartest inventions. An all new mini-series from Sonic writer Ian Flynn, Imposter Syndrome #1 will have readers seeing double!

Hmm. Not sure if I like those designs. The top one screams Post-Reboot archie, and the bottom's clothes and hairstyle aren't that appealing. But who knows? I'm sure Ian will make then interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

So far, I do like their colors and outfits. Especially the studded brands.

The Fox Rabbit Wolf hybrid boy with the doc oct Chaos backpack and Chao logo shoes looks cool.

I hope the lightning Akuma Cat Bat Hedgehog hybrid girl has a logo on the front or back of her top.

• Thumbs Up 1

Water Tails is the closest thing we have to Chaos appearing in this comic so far. I wonder if they're related in any way.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Is that the Tails clone with water powers...

Yes, yes it is. AKA Sonic's worst nightmare...

23 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

I see they're playing on Sonic and Tails' greatest phobias: water and lightning respectively. 

Oh that's actually a good catch 

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm pretty interested to see where it is going. It's interesting to have "enforcer-level" threat with super power (without being god-like entity), and I like the possibilities of them being more "directly against Sonic and Tails".

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

I see they're playing on Sonic and Tails' greatest phobias: water and lightning respectively. 

Oh, my God that's actually really cool I didn't notice that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:

The cover says Frose though?

Froese. The inker, unless I'm mixing issues up.

1 hour ago, The KKM said:

Froese. The inker, unless I'm mixing issues up.

Ah, my bad I thought it was another artist since Tracy is the only other one credited on the cover.

I see the only way sonic can beat them is to use the lightning dude's attack on the water dude, making them turn on each other for getting in the other's way.

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

So far, I do like their colors and outfits. Especially the studded brands.

The Fox Rabbit Wolf hybrid boy with the doc oct Chaos backpack and Chao logo shoes looks cool.

I hope the lightning Akuma Cat Bat Hedgehog hybrid girl has a logo on the front or back of her top.

I think that's a fennec, actually. Upon closer inspection, the water is indeed not his tail.

Not sure what the girl is, though.

3 hours ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

I actually didn't notice the lightning--good eye!

Wait, I wonder if she's partially based on the original concept for Thunderbolt.

Ah man. I couldn't imagine what I'd do without the multi-media stuff being around to excite me and remind me why Sonic's awesome. 

This news a day after another short came out. All the chef's kisses.

• Thumbs Up 2

Based on the sheer size/shape of ears, I’d say the water one is a fennec too, which is a type of fox isn’t it? Not seen any other (non-Tails) fox characters outside of Archie I don’t think, so this is interesting. I can definitely see they have one tail, but there could be a second tail behind there too (tip of second tail just poking out from behind the right side of their face?)

Really not sure what lightning-girl is supposed to be. From the side her ears look like dwarf rabbit ears, and if that’s a tail it’s a tiny one.  Is there another type of hedgehog that looks similar to this? Can’t wait to find out more. (EDIT: After a google there does indeed exist a long eared hedgehog, so anything is possible here until further info drops)

So where did the info on a Tails clone come from? It doesn't really seem much like one unless you have preexisting info on a Tails clone coming to the comic.

3 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

So where did the info on a Tails clone come from? It doesn't really seem much like one unless you have preexisting info on a Tails clone coming to the comic.

The idea is that in another issue, Starline took some fur (DNA) from Tails, which he needed for a project and that is why he kidnapped him. 

Since he used his genetic code, the idea is supposed to be that the character is supposed to be some genetic tampering by Starline. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand Starline's endgame with this.

Make some enforcers with superpowers. Sure, thats badguy 101. Copy the powers of the heroes, sure why not.

But you are playing with fire when you create something with the primary intangible of being "smart". His Tails clone spits in the face of the hubris he accuses Eggman of being blind too. There is no way this doesn't go south on Starline. He could encode impossibly sophisticated control methods into both his creations, but the second that Tails clone/android/bot/whatever becomes aware of how smart he actually is, then he is going to think of a way to subvert Starline and free himself and his sister from outside control. The second Starline asks them to do something that doesn't immediately benefit them, then he will play the long game and outsmart the guy who created him.

Its completely inevitable. Its SkyNet.

Starline is gonna have to deal with making the exact same mistakes Eggman has made in the past.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is Avatar TLA/LOK meets Cell Saga Dragon Ball Z.

That is the vibe I’m getting with this, and the possible inspirations for this story.

22 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I don't understand Starline's endgame with this.

Make some enforcers with superpowers. Sure, thats badguy 101. Copy the powers of the heroes, sure why not.

But you are playing with fire when you create something with the primary intangible of being "smart".

Do we even know if "smart" is what he's going for? The running theme for his whole plan has been Sonic Heroes' team system, which is based on the characters' physical abilities. Granted there isn't any sign of Tails' physical abilities in this one and only a passing physical resemblance, but then we know basically nothing about them at this point so it's hard to judge what the goal of any aspect of them is.

So @Diogenes recently pointed out that the Electric one looks like Ashura, a fan character based on a palette swap glitch from Sonic 2.

ashura.jpg.9849086c84346bf4e2772b6485e80545.jpgashura2.jpg.fac15502f944c0c9a5006a679ca5e7a0.jpg

Which reminds me that Ian Flynn stated that Dr. Starline is directly inspired by "**********" or "Wechnia", a character formed out of Tails' leftover data from Knuckles Chaotix. Dr. Starline shares a lot of his colors and even his logo is a reference to it.

2081498337_drstarlinelogo.jpg.2c4a57250a75a64965d282f3ea1b7a20.jpg wechnia.jpg.fa30cc381d3890fd2aa8b8d550373513.jpg2139435453_starline.jpg.acc3dac3487cd3e3097b6cc5b1e41bc6.jpg

So, that's cool! Dr. Starline's minions are ALSO based on palette swap glitches. But, what about the Water one? I was thinking it could very well be a reference to Blue Knuckles or 'Tails' from Sonic 3.

Edit: Having trouble finding it, but I'm super sure "Blue Knuckles" even has Tails' tails come out of his mouth in one of his sprites.

Edit 2: Yep. It's actually what happens if you beat Knuckles' final boss (Mecha Sonic) as Tails. Thanks to Cybershell's Sonic 3 Bonus Video.

tails.jpg.02f57c6e3bd1bfd68601b60f427f4a56.jpgtails.jpg.30d2b98cebc16adea172ef23ca431a83.jpg  here.jpg.308200b0697af9c15ec4194def6f14bf.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1