Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

On 8/27/2021 at 10:59 AM, Razule said:

Male characters can wear clothes, just nothing below the waist aside from shoes.

42 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Guys can wear clothes, they just can't wear pants.

Which is still super contrived, you know? I don't wanna make the immediate jump to THATS SEXIST but it is super weird. I get that a female-shaped body can be awkward if like, not given clothes (Sally...) but it also shouldn't mean guys can't wear a pair of pants either. Its just a problem that adds onto itself every time a new female character is added too, because they keep having clothes and the guys keep lacking them, making it weirder and weirder to have a male wearing clothes/a female not wearing clothes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Its just a cartoon trope. Its been a thing forever in not just sonic but nearly any normal cartoon. Heck go watch Looney tunes show. Males go in the buff. ladies get tops for the most part.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, charmsb said:

Which is still super contrived, you know?

It's not contrived, it just doesn't matter

But we all let our minds stick to certain details every once and a while

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

Here's an odd tweet that Ben Bates posted. My guess is his cover was more his regular wild style and Sega told him to reign it in?

Regular wild style? His art normally hits pretty close to Uekawa's designs, if I remember correctly.

Either way it sounds like he wanted to do a color but doesn't agree with the notes SEGA left him when he wanted to do things in his own style for the cover. I know other times SEGA has given notes/asked for changes with the cover which is standard, but it seems this time it was something specific he didn't want to compromise on and felt wouldn't support his own style. 

He's developed a more kinetic looking style that's pretty loose and sketchy in parts (best example I can think of is the Bebop and Rocksteady micro but I think that was likely a rush job), which probably has something to do with him transitioning over to animation and storyboarding.

Stuff like this: unknown.png

But he has more finished looking art from the same period like this from a parallel issue of TMNT

unknown.png

Or this cover from Sonic #263 which was a year into the Archie reboot:

unknown.png

If it is the art style, I suppose that lines up with how it needs to be "finished," but it's still kind of a weird thing for Sega to supposedly be unhappy about, especially when plenty of artists on the book have their own flavor that stands out immediately.

Weird fucking company if it is about his art.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Here's an odd tweet that Ben Bates posted. My guess is his cover was more his regular wild style and Sega told him to reign it in?

He's consistently pretty great at drawing Sonic on model so my first instinct is to side against Sega here, but we'll probably never know the full story.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm curious on what "level" is this argument. IIRC, Bates have strong opinions about how Sonic should show his emotion, but they don't seems to me incompatible with SEGA's view, so it might not be that.

• Thumbs Up 1

#43 is out and it's fine, but I feel like it could been better.

Whole issue is giant fight with Zeti. It has it's moments, like parts with Tangle/Whisper. Zavok and Zazz put a decent spectacle, but rest of the team relies on mostly kicks and slashes. Could use a bit more personality is what I'm saying. Don't tell me Zeti can use their super powers only with Chaos Emeralds or that Lost World energy they been drinking? And as strange as it sounds, I would like if they talked a little more.

Artwork is kinda strange, with 3 artists at the job. It's worse than previous 2 parts, but ultimately I think it hold up. It has a lot of kinetic energy, like Zavok smashing Sonic against the wall.

Other than that... well, nothing. Like I said, it was a fairly simple issue. Starline's subplot will be resolved in 44, meaning that once again he's stealing story for himself mid-arc. Kinda funny.

Not everyone can do action like ABT

But yea, I liked this issue. It showed the Deadly Six are capable of putting up a pretty decent fight all things considered and I did love watching Zavok smack Sonic and Tails around for a bit. He still sucks, but things like that warm me up.

Its pure action and definitely could have been better, but I think its good for what we got. And now for the climax to once again hijacked by Starline lol.

I liked the action, particularly how brutal it got at times, but the art is really not my favorite. It's very rough, but I think it helps the action in that way at least.

I’m not sure when the new IDW app puts new releases on, it seems to be a bit inconsistent with days and times. It still says ‘Coming soon!’ for issue 43 even when it’s out digitally on the website. The wait is (not actually) killing me lol.

It was an action chapter more than plot. It was fun and sometimes creative. Is kinda hard to get a great action scene from a small space and pinball physics. Though my boi becoming the MVP of the chapter is what sold it for me lol. Can't help but smile there. Also the battle damage was a nice touch to make the fight feel like it actually hurt. I'm probably just to blinded by mah boi getting that W with Sonic.

42 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Though my boi becoming the MVP of the chapter is what sold it for me lol.

Tails gets to be MVP every thursday. His whole thing is being a fluffy nerd kid underdog, technically so much weaker than a "big guns" in the series, only to crash ship into giant metal dragon or turns off all Eggman machinery with press of a button or something like that.

11 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Tails gets to be MVP every thursday. His whole thing is being a fluffy nerd kid underdog, technically so much weaker than a "big guns" in the series, only to crash ship into giant metal dragon or turns off all Eggman machinery with press of a button or something like that.

If only it was every Thursday. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think because the balance of what Tails does in all the different Sonic media is so polarized. In IDW Tails is very reliable, but then the games hurt his reputation really bad. So it is like for every game, the writers have to work 10 times as hard to prove Tails is worthy to counteract the bad reputation in both Archie and IDW (Which I am all for as a Tails fan haha). I remember when the IDW series was about to start the editors/writers had to assure fans that he will get action in response to Forces. In fact, fans still won't (understandably) shut up about his characterization in Forces and so many people don't read the comics so they don't realize other media has portrayed him better since then. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Spoiler

I really liked this issue. Sonic and Tails vs the Zeti was great. It was surprising how a bit brutal the fight was like Zavok slamming Tangle against the wall by her tail repeatedly and Sonic and Tails' fight with Zavok.

I'm not sure how I feel about Starline stealing the spotlight once again but at the very least it seems like the Zeti plotline is having a more solid conclusion unlike with Clutch.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, nobukitsu88 said:

I think because the balance of what Tails does in all the different Sonic media is so polarized. In IDW Tails is very reliable, but then the games hurt his reputation really bad. So it is like for every game, the writers have to work 10 times as hard to prove Tails is worthy to counteract the bad reputation in both Archie and IDW (Which I am all for as a Tails fan haha). I remember when the IDW series was about to start the editors/writers had to assure fans that he will get action in response to Forces. In fact, fans still won't (understandably) shut up about his characterization in Forces and so many people don't read the comics so they don't realize other media has portrayed him better since then. 

It does make me wonder how the movie will portray Tails and whether or not that will be the make it or break it portrayal for Tails in media from this point forward.

2 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

It does make me wonder how the movie will portray Tails and whether or not that will be the make it or break it portrayal for Tails in media from this point forward.

I'll give my thoughts on that. Without going off topic (too much talking about the movie too much), one thing that makes me feel pretty sure that Tails would likely not have a Forces-esque portrayal and be closer to IDW is that filmmakers and film writers in general want to make sure their characters are likable, especially when they are being introduced. Then in the production process there are test screenings for most films and one of the things they usually ask audiences are how likable certain characters are and so on. Films like Finding Nemo for example were changed when a lot of people didn't like Marlin in the original cut. No one wants to watch a film where a character is unlikeable the whole time.

Similarly speaking, IDW writers obviously don't want their characters to be unlikeable and anyone would naturally want to write the sidekick to be competent. I don't know why fully Sonic Team thought it would be okay though, hence we are at the place where people don't see his better representations in the comics and whatnot.

1 hour ago, nobukitsu88 said:

I'll give my thoughts on that. Without going off topic (too much talking about the movie too much), one thing that makes me feel pretty sure that Tails would likely not have a Forces-esque portrayal and be closer to IDW is that filmmakers and film writers in general want to make sure their characters are likable, especially when they are being introduced. Then in the production process there are test screenings for most films and one of the things they usually ask audiences are how likable certain characters are and so on. Films like Finding Nemo for example were changed when a lot of people didn't like Marlin in the original cut. No one wants to watch a film where a character is unlikeable the whole time.

Similarly speaking, IDW writers obviously don't want their characters to be unlikeable and anyone would naturally want to write the sidekick to be competent. I don't know why fully Sonic Team thought it would be okay though, hence we are at the place where people don't see his better representations in the comics and whatnot.

Oh, that's interesting....well, it's great that Tails is getting a lot of love in the IDW comics.

1 hour ago, nobukitsu88 said:

Its not that Sonic Team thought Tails cowering was a good direction to take the character, but rather they probably wanted Classic Sonic to look heroic and save a character in danger and they chose Tails for it without any consideration for how the fanbase would react.

Its less that Sega have something against the supporting cast and more they're just fucking tone deaf and have no idea why fans of the supporting cast would be upset at seeing them constantly get snubbed. So when they do shit like the Tails forces scene, its intentional character assassination and more just neglect and a lack of foresight.

The IDW writers are way more in tuned with the fanbase given they have direct contact unlike Sega, so its easier for them to guage opinions and act accordingly. Tails at the end of the Metal Virus arc, but notice how nobody had an issue with that because the scene was properly setup beforehand compared to the ones in Forces.

Sega writes the characters like plot devices; they act and do specific things depending on what they need for the plot regardless if its consistent with their characters, because it's a video game first and foremost and the gameplay isn't structured around the plot. 

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Its not that Sonic Team thought Tails cowering was a good direction to take the character, but rather they probably wanted Classic Sonic to look heroic and save a character in danger and they chose Tails for it without any consideration for how the fanbase would react.

Its less that Sega have something against the supporting cast and more they're just fucking tone deaf and have no idea why fans of the supporting cast would be upset at seeing them constantly get snubbed. So when they do shit like the Tails forces scene, its intentional character assassination and more just neglect and a lack of foresight.

The IDW writers are way more in tuned with the fanbase given they have direct contact unlike Sega, so its easier for them to guage opinions and act accordingly. Tails at the end of the Metal Virus arc, but notice how nobody had an issue with that because the scene was properly setup beforehand compared to the ones in Forces.

Sega writes the characters like plot devices; they act and do specific things depending on what they need for the plot regardless if its consistent with their characters, because it's a video game first and foremost and the gameplay isn't structured around the plot. 

I think the IDW comics get a better reception from the fans because, as you stated, the writers actually communicate with the fans and they try their best to make the characters stand out, even when they have to deal with mandates that SEGA had set up for them that would make writing specific characters too complicated.  What SEGA really needs is to have a group of people who can communicate with the fans and give that feedback to SEGA. 

• Thumbs Up 1