Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Been a while since I've commented in this thread but it felt warranted since this issue felt like something to express gratitude for. I was worried it was going to be Sonic just squashing them at the start but thank goodness I was wrong. Zavok really made up the difference in the end there. 

His body being annoyed by Whisper's blasts and not feeling shit, yanking Tangle's tail so that her body slammed against the steel door over and over, smashing both Sonic and Tails into the walls and gripping them by the throats; all of that was cool. Tails got there late and left the room looking battered to fuck, the two of them hanging onto each other, because of his rampage mode.

It felt really cool. I wish first impressions weren't what they were in the fanbase because everytime the Zeti appear in this comic, I feel the wasted potential seeping out. I need more info and more context for what their deal is and it's sad that we can't actually establish anything for them.

The only other thing to mention is that I'm wondering why the Chaotix were even in the arc right now. Unless they manage to pull something off in the last issue but I have my doubts.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'll give Sonic 42 at least a 7/10. It's straightforward, but fun.

Spoiler

* First off, were there like two or three artists here? We start off with Jamal Jeepers, who does a respectable job with all of the characters(except Zomom a bit) even if there a moment or two where they look a little action-figurey. But then it suddenly gets a weird shift after the halfway point to a slightly rougher style that's relatively close but distinctly off somehow(eg.Zazz's chin and Zor's head in the group shots) and then it get's even rougher in a sorta satisfying way that actually makes the Zeti's neutralization stick out even harder. I feel like to might've had something going there, but those particular details kinda mess it up a bit.

* Getting into the story itself, it's fine overall--there's next to no plot or neat characterization for the most part, but is instead primarily action with a cutaway or two at the very start. But while it's not Issue 7, what makes this work is that it's pseudo kinetic action with quite a bit going on.

* As someone who typically doesn't overly dislike or hate characters much in the last handful of years, seeing Zeena and Tangle get owned was still humorous. Primarily because of how blunt both were--kinda leaned onto Looney Tunes/Family Guy territory with the former in particular.

* Zazz and especially Tails were the closest to having big character moments in this, though Zavok certainly had a smaller but consistent presence throughout this. The latter in particular technically gets to use three different aspects of his capabilities against him here.

* That said, the weaknesses of the issue is technically how the other characters don't really get to shine or even show up here.

* While it does balance out with the somewhat intriguing bits he got in the first two parts, Master Zik possibly got it the worst in terms of the active combatants. I realize he's small for a Sonic character and he's not a hulk like Zavok or a Ixis-like mystic like Zor, but he still trained the red guy and gave Sonic the most shit in Lost World as a midboss. Though him just straight up bout to club him in the face is funny and he made an effort unlike Zor(for some reason).

* Zeena has decent little setpiece with Whisper, Zomom is responsible for setting up the Big Damn Heroes moment(after quite literally taking laser where the sun don't shine, no less), and Zor does get a funny but of masochism in, but beyond that this battle only scratches the surface of a dedicated "Sonic vs the Deadly Six fight. Yeah, half of them are clawed bruisers, but they also have individual abilities that could've--Zomom's wind, Zik's telekinesis, Zor's dark arts, or their individual Aura Blasts  could've made things more chaotic.

* Speaking of which, that's another recurring problem with the Zeti that I'm sure I pointed out in regards to the games that I realized was more than just another hopefully misleading cover before--the Deadly Six, a dedicated and varied bad guy team, is once again relegated to only fighting Sonic(though with a bit of Tails and Whisper in there); their role in the Metal Virus Saga, while divisive, was more rewarding because it gave opportunities for Sonic's many friends, allies, and even a few rivals moments to shine in ways that also made decent use of the Zeti themselves. Which ties in with what I feel is the biggest failing of the issue/arc: the Chaotix and Team Jewel don't get much panel time: though none of them are meant to geniuses by any stretch, seeing Vector/Jewel match wits with Zavok would've given Zeti Hunt a stronger, more unique conflict that also would've made the arc live up to it's name as well as it's potential. This particularly damning in the latter scenario, as Jewel has been around since the interim between the first two years and got to be front n center on a variant and yet she still hasn't gotten to do anything cool.

7 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Tails gets to be MVP every thursday. His whole thing is being a fluffy nerd kid underdog, technically so much weaker than a "big guns" in the series, only to crash ship into giant metal dragon or turns off all Eggman machinery with press of a button or something like that.

14 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

#43 is out and it's fine, but I feel like it could been better.

Whole issue is giant fight with Zeti. It has it's moments, like parts with Tangle/Whisper. Zavok and Zazz put a decent spectacle, but rest of the team relies on mostly kicks and slashes. Could use a bit more personality is what I'm saying. Don't tell me Zeti can use their super powers only with Chaos Emeralds or that Lost World energy they been drinking? And as strange as it sounds, I would like if they talked a little more.

Artwork is kinda strange, with 3 artists at the job. It's worse than previous 2 parts, but ultimately I think it hold up. It has a lot of kinetic energy, like Zavok smashing Sonic against the wall.

Other than that... well, nothing. Like I said, it was a fairly simple issue. Starline's subplot will be resolved in 44, meaning that once again he's stealing story for himself mid-arc. Kinda funny.

6 hours ago, QZX343 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I really liked this issue. Sonic and Tails vs the Zeti was great. It was surprising how a bit brutal the fight was like Zavok slamming Tangle against the wall by her tail repeatedly and Sonic and Tails' fight with Zavok.

I'm not sure how I feel about Starline stealing the spotlight once again but at the very least it seems like the Zeti plotline is having a more solid conclusion unlike with Clutch.

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Its not that Sonic Team thought Tails cowering was a good direction to take the character, but rather they probably wanted Classic Sonic to look heroic and save a character in danger and they chose Tails for it without any consideration for how the fanbase would react.

Its less that Sega have something against the supporting cast and more they're just fucking tone deaf and have no idea why fans of the supporting cast would be upset at seeing them constantly get snubbed. So when they do shit like the Tails forces scene, its intentional character assassination and more just neglect and a lack of foresight.

The IDW writers are way more in tuned with the fanbase given they have direct contact unlike Sega, so its easier for them to guage opinions and act accordingly. Tails at the end of the Metal Virus arc, but notice how nobody had an issue with that because the scene was properly setup beforehand compared to the ones in Forces.

Sega writes the characters like plot devices; they act and do specific things depending on what they need for the plot regardless if its consistent with their characters, because it's a video game first and foremost and the gameplay isn't structured around the plot. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Been a while since I've commented in this thread but it felt warranted since this issue felt like something to express gratitude for. I was worried it was going to be Sonic just squashing them at the start but thank goodness I was wrong. Zavok really made up the difference in the end there. 

His body being annoyed by Whisper's blasts and not feeling shit, yanking Tangle's tail so that her body slammed against the steel door over and over, smashing both Sonic and Tails into the walls and gripping them by the throats; all of that was cool. Tails got there late and left the room looking battered to fuck, the two of them hanging onto each other, because of his rampage mode.

It felt really cool. I wish first impressions weren't what they were in the fanbase because everytime the Zeti appear in this comic, I feel the wasted potential seeping out. I need more info and more context for what their deal is and it's sad that we can't actually establish anything for them.

The only other thing to mention is that I'm wondering why the Chaotix were even in the arc right now. Unless they manage to pull something off in the last issue but I have my doubts.

There's still one issue left of this arc, so I'm going to assume the Chaotix are going to be major players in rescuing Belle while Sonic & Tails deal with the Six and come in at the last second.

15 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

There's still one issue left of this arc, so I'm going to assume the Chaotix are going to be major players in rescuing Belle while Sonic & Tails deal with the Six and come in at the last second.

Considering there's a shockingly early preview/leak from 43 and Imposters is supposed to take place at the same time as 45-49, I can only assume that's what's gonna happen.

It's a little off topic, but would it be interesting if Infinite came back to the comics and Sonic started acting aggressively towards him?  Like, just attacking Infinite on first sight because of how Infinite was the one who started everything in Sonic Forces and because he's probably still upset about letting Eggman and Metal Sonic go and jumpstarting the Metal Virus as a result?  Maybe we will have the other characters start questioning about Sonic's aggressiveness and whether or not they were being too hard on Sonic during the Metal Virus arc.

44 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

It's a little off topic, but would it be interesting if Infinite came back to the comics and Sonic started acting aggressively towards him?  Like, just attacking Infinite on first sight because of how Infinite was the one who started everything in Sonic Forces and because he's probably still upset about letting Eggman and Metal Sonic go and jumpstarting the Metal Virus as a result?  Maybe we will have the other characters start questioning about Sonic's aggressiveness and whether or not they were being too hard on Sonic during the Metal Virus arc.

Yeah, I don't see it.

Uno, considering Infinite's power, attacking him on sight is fairly logical move.

Dos, that's Shadow's job. Or Knuckles. So Sonic going "too far" would be kinda quaint.

Tres, considering Sonic still haven't snapped on Eggman, Metal or Zavok, I can't imagine him snapping on Infinite.

9 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Yeah, I don't see it.

Uno, considering Infinite's power, attacking him on sight is fairly logical move.

Dos, that's Shadow's job. Or Knuckles. So Sonic going "too far" would be kinda quaint.

Tres, considering Sonic still haven't snapped on Eggman, Metal or Zavok, I can't imagine him snapping on Infinite.

Though to be fair, Sonic nearly snapped on Eggman during the Metal Virus arc when he tried to infect Eggman with the virus after he had enough of Eggman's games.

On 9/1/2021 at 6:34 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

. Zavok and Zazz put a decent spectacle, but rest of the team relies on mostly kicks and slashes. Could use a bit more personality is what I'm saying. Don't tell me Zeti can use their super powers only with Chaos Emeralds or that Lost World energy they been drinking? And as strange as it sounds, I would like if they talked a little more.

Yeah, there was a general lack of that in this.

18 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

It was an action chapter more than plot. It was fun and sometimes creative. Is kinda hard to get a great action scene from a small space and pinball physics. Though my boi becoming the MVP of the chapter is what sold it for me lol. Can't help but smile there. Also the battle damage was a nice touch to make the fight feel like it actually hurt. I'm probably just to blinded by mah boi getting that W with Sonic.

I did once find myself wondering if Lost World might've came together a little better with some of the Zeti  antagonizing Tails, but then that game tried to have a number of angles that don't quite pan out satisfactorily.

17 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Tails gets to be MVP every thursday. His whole thing is being a fluffy nerd kid underdog, technically so much weaker than a "big guns" in the series, only to crash ship into giant metal dragon or turns off all Eggman machinery with press of a button or something like that.

That's part of why I found myself being pretty ambivalent towards him for a while--its hard to be too broken up or excited about the latest thing that happens with the kid when he's been The Sidekick since day two or three, is only the third most popular character in the entire canon, and won't be going anywhere for more than one rare dip every now and then.

16 hours ago, QZX343 said:
  Hide contents

I really liked this issue. Sonic and 

I'm not sure how I feel about Starline stealing the spotlight once again but at the very least it seems like the Zeti plotline is having a more solid conclusion unlike with Clutch.

True, although it still has the connotation that they were effectively a decoy for the real story development.

14 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Its less that Sega have something against the supporting cast and more they're just fucking tone deaf and have no idea why fans of the supporting cast would be upset at seeing them constantly get snubbed. So when they do shit like the Tails forces scene, its intentional character assassination and more just neglect and a lack of foresight.

Effectively

Meant to say, but I also like how brutal Zavok is in this. It is nice to see a little more physicality to the fights than the standard robot explosions and show the heroes struggling. Not saying I am in love with Zavok, but it is nice to actually show some of his cruelty and power and how he can actually dominated against the heroes in a regular fist fight. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Decided to buy it off the IDW website (predictably XD) instead of waiting around for the app to get its ass into gear.

First the negatives: The different art styles was a bit jarring, not too bad but still I prefer it when a whole issue is done in the same or very similar style. Some of the zeti felt like they could have been more properly involved in the battle, that said I did find it delightful that Zavok just outright picked up Zor and threw him in there.

Now the good stuff: I unashamedly enjoyed seeing the heroes get smacked around a bit. It makes their task feel more like a challenge, and their effort feel more believable, nobody really wants the heroes to just walk in and have an easy victory, right? It really felt surprisingly brutal though haha. I did enjoy it though, a lot. I think we can all appreciate Flynn’s writing of Tails’ character after Forces, although he didn’t feel overpowered here at all since he showed up late and only took that one hit, yet ended up just as banged-up as Sonic who took way more hits.

A minor nitpick of the preview pages of issue 44, it seems to take place right after the battle but all the battle-damage is already gone from the pair. I would have liked to see that art continuity continue but it’s really only a minor nitpick.

• Thumbs Up 3

Got the B Cover for IS

E-T2lmvUcAAAVPS?format=jpg&name=medium

Also, some of the artists have revealed details about Surge

E-T5PtkWUAMkz1o?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Natalie F: I drew these a few months ago, the day after I saw Surge and Kit's designs for the first time- we were all super excited ahaha

Mauro Fonseca: There, I get to stop pretending this stuff isn't out in the wild already lol. Meet Surge and Kit, the characters me and Evan Stanley co-designed, with in the end Evan taking the lead in finishing Kit and me taking the lead in finishing Surge!

And yes, yes. Ashura, Android 18, maybe prototype Blaze (gonna be honest I don't fully remember what I use as inspiration sometimes). And yes, King of Sorrow. I'll let Evan talk more about Kit though lol

b7a3b22dd209dceb28174a37ead40ae8f04e6ada

and for those wondering, here's a quick demonstration of how her electricity works, at least in my head- I imagine it's the sort of detail that'll get forgotten over time. she uses all her metal accessories as a means to more easily conduct the electricity she generates

with that said she's electric all over. think sort of like street fighter's blanka, in that she only charges herself, rather than some wizard commanding lightning from afar and shooting it out lol

Spoiler

44ffbbef0d3974430022f03115b9a4d2e8fd6969

• Thumbs Up 5

I hope she's a mad punk scientist

The cover was making me not like the pants but those sketches definitely brought them back up for me

She's great

10 minutes ago, Mauro Fonseca said:

yeah I get to publicly state now I co-designed surge and kit lol

Congratulations man that's a huge honor!

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Got the B Cover for IS

E-T2lmvUcAAAVPS?format=jpg&name=medium

Also, some of the artists have revealed details about Surge

E-T5PtkWUAMkz1o?format=jpg&name=4096x409

b7a3b22dd209dceb28174a37ead40ae8f04e6ada

Reveal hidden contents

44ffbbef0d3974430022f03115b9a4d2e8fd6969

Yeesh, I do not like those pants, still, the design is growing on me.

Congrats, dude! How cool it must be to see characters you designed front and center on official Sonic comics.

The only thing that disappoints me about this mini-series is that it's not going to run alongside the main book, but instead be released every other month in place of a regular issue. That means people who don't read the mini-series will go two months between Sonic comics...

I kinda live the fact they're going to have the main series and the miniseries come out interchangeably. It's a good way of stretching out the road to #50 and making both stories feel truly equally important. It's also a great way to make room for the Tie-Into the movie sequel since we know that's coming. 

And yes of course congrats on being involved in designing these characters Mauro. Can't wait to see Surge in action.