Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

40 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

What did hate groups even get mad about? I can understand not liking his style or preferring some of the more experimental and dark older archie stuff, but that's not enough to make a hate group.

He's Canadian. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

21 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Throw rationality out of the window on the internet. People will go to pieces over anything and everything. Hate groups can form for any number of reasons from perceived favoritism/hatred of certain characters or certain plot lines not resolving in a specific way.

Some of the more level headed types will usually point to rushed act IV resolutions as a hallmark of Ian's style, but its all a matter of opinion and you cant please everyone. Its actually a small miracle that Ian is as well regarded as he is considering how much he has to balance for so long. Shoot, Ian might be able to make a case to fall into a tier right below Hesse and Whitehead in terms of fandom appreciation.

That's the unfortunate truth about the internet. Even if something is written very well, there are still hate groups out there who will hate anything no matter what.  I remembered when Ian got some flack for the Sonic vs Tails fight in the Archie series and what happened to Charmy at the end of the Egg grapes plot.  He also got some hate for how Shadow was being written in the IDW series, despite the fact that it was due to SEGA's mandates regarding Shadow's characterization.

Well I haven't checked on them them since World Collide back in Archie Preboot, but main points were

- Sonic VS Tails fight
- Charmy getting sorta lobotimized
- shippers, just shippers
- Fiona Fox turning evil (ruining her ship with Tails, so much stuff with Scourge)
- Crown Jewel: Anything relating Sally, ESPCECIALLY Mecha Sally

Basically he was accused of hating all Freedom Fighters, wanting to remove them from the comic and putting through horrible stuff on purpouse. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Basically he was accused of hating all Freedom Fighters, wanting to remove them from the comic and putting through horrible stuff on purpouse. 

Ironic considering he fought to keep them for the reboot.

• Thumbs Up 2

I remember a fan of Archie starting to hate how the reboot handled a lot of things like with Sally and other things like Worlds Unite or the Champons arc for being too cartoony with its art and some stuff feeling like there wasn’t any stakes in the stories. 

And he also complained about Ian always nerfing and making Blaze into a jobber and getting beaten so easily. Especially in the pirate plunder panic arc (despite Yardley writing that arc.)

Anyway, I liked 4 things out of this issue:

+ Amy's motivational attitude to Jewel who is a bit insecure right now

+ Tangle's "character arc" far from Whisper that made her a tad more serious and worried

+ Belle's attitude and growth moment (?)

+ The cute good hearted Motobug as Belle's potential sidekick

Other than that, I expected

Spoiler

More Surge and Kit, a proper cliffhanger with them instead of leaving them in the shadows, like that.

The issue always feels cut short, no real damage done so far, just a cool night forest adventure, which is not bad, I guess?

And yeah, this issue did feel kind of short. If it were Archie, this is the part where I'd expect a Knuckles back-up story. It might've been because the plot's been very predictable so far and there's little that I didn't see coming aside from my new favorite character in the story, the motobug. Still, it was good.

Also is anyone else hyped for the coming weeks? We'll be getting a movie trailer, Imposter Syndrome #1, the Macy's parade Sonic balloon, and the Encyclospeedia all within  just over a month.

6 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

-Shoved Amy into a Zombot (possibly an even bigger dick move) effectively killing her.

and while she didn't get to "die" in spectacular fashion, I would argue that her death scene was probably one of the most important. She defended Eggman only to get stabbed in the back. Thats a big time character moment for both of them. I think people just overlook it because it happened so fast. 

I mean, Amy never really "died" in the first place, given that she never fully turned into a Zombot.

This issue was really cool, it's really nice for me having a real smaller character-focused arc (even if it's preparing and part of the big imposter arc), after some arc that didn't really hit that spot (except a bit Chao Races and Badnik Bases). I really like how Evan's character are "alive", they really have energy and that's fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do like how they're setting them up like this before formally introducing them next month in the mini-series. 

EDIT: Wait, did we even get the solicits for this month?

5 hours ago, Razule said:

He's Canadian. 

Technically Ian is an American he just lives in Canada.

Seriously though I've never understood the old hate groups. They kinda always sounded like they were mad that things were actually happening half the time.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I mean, Amy never really "died" in the first place, given that she never fully turned into a Zombot.

Getting infected was still the equivalent of a death sentence. Eggman knew full well she was a goner the second he made that decision and he didn't hesitate.

But that's still missing the point. She fought to defend Eggman from the Zombots as best she could - despite all this being his fault - and he still stabbed her in the back to buy himself a few extra seconds to escape. Going forward, when you sit down to describe the character of either Amy Rose, or Eggman this moment should be exhibit A. Its a touchstone moment for both of them.

• Thumbs Up 3

Look guys, we can forget about the hate groups.

One, it's just healthy thing to do. They waste time with negative emotions, but we don't have to.

Two, I'm pretty sure they quite dead. "anti-archie-sonic" group didn't updated in years. Anti-IDW Sonic stamp on DeviantArt has staggering 21 faves. Are we really going to be bothered by group so small it could fit in one bus?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Look guys, we can forget about the hate groups.

One, it's just healthy thing to do. They waste time with negative emotions, but we don't have to.

Two, I'm pretty sure they quite dead. "anti-archie-sonic" group didn't updated in years. Anti-IDW Sonic stamp on DeviantArt has staggering 21 faves. Are we really going to be bothered by group so small it could fit in one bus?

I agree. I barely even hear anyone actually hate on IDW these days and Ian is looked at as one of the best writers for the Sonic franchise right now.

I can't imagine why Belle expects it to be some big surprise that her freakish clown nose honks. Like, why wouldn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I can't imagine why Belle expects it to be some big surprise that her freakish clown nose honks. Like, why wouldn't it?

It's fitting because everything about Belle so far has been extremely obvious "surprises".

• Chuckle 4

Hey, Sonic 46.

It's better in flow and focus than the previous, so there's that for an improvement. And we get a teeny bit of progression as well.

Spoiler

Kinda glad the appearance of Surge and Kit are actual parts of the story rather than a foreboding mirage for the exclusive benefit of the readers. Almost makes me wonder if they'll happen back into it before it's over; gonna assume it was Surge who was picking a fight until notified otherwise.

Nice to see Belle and not-Jimmy get the focus and action setpeices, I suppose. But more importantly, it's good that Belle gets to actually do things that actually move things forward.

Guess the conversation over the weekend paid off, as Amy gets to demonstrate her strength in a vaguely clever way visually, stand up to angryUncleChuck, and then vouch for Jewel here.

Oh hey, look at that--another Tangle moment that was actually funny. And Belle have to have one too.

Time will tell if we will see more of Jewel's scenario next time or if the cover artists just like drawing her.

23 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Issue 46 is out. It's... fine.

From very first pages have mysterious good badnik, cameo from Surge and Tenec, and surprisingly not horrifying image of Belle's burned hand.(which only now I'm realizing, actually looks a lot like Metal Sonic but softer. Cute detail)

And Kit, you mean

Other than that we have a lot of dealing with fire. For some reason I never cared for "Hero VS natural disaster scenario" It lacks the.. pazzaz I guess.

Can't always have a villain fight, especially when they presumably have to be approved

While humble in scope, I feel like this is one of her finest moments in IDW. She's shows strength, kindness, leadership, all while being pretty adorable. And it's not even "Her moment", she's giving spotlight to Jewel. Even artworks seems to peak on those few pages. So yeah, point for you Stanley.

That's probably it works

And, spoilers I guess

Hide contents

Funny clown nose....

Okay, reactions from both gals are pretty hilarious.

8 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

7 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

It's fitting because everything about Belle so far has been extremely obvious "surprises".

I don't think it was meant to be. 

Plus, it stands to reason that she'd know about it since she was made with kids in mind to begin with.

19 hours ago, Jack-al said:

Other than that, I expected

Hide contents

More Surge and Kit, a proper cliffhanger with them instead of leaving them in the shadows, like that.

I thought it would be a BLAM myself 

15 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Technically Ian is an American he just lives in Canada.

Seriously though I've never understood the old hate groups. They kinda always sounded like they were mad that things were actually happening half the time.

It always boils down to shipping wars and 90s - early 00s nostalgia, but shipping wars are the core of the Ian hate.

Unpopular opinion, but you people really show how desperately I want Prime to be a good show because I feel a lot of praise of this comic gets is just handling the characters to the standard that I used to expect from the games and Sonic X.

19 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Unpopular opinion, but you people really show how desperately I want Prime to be a good show because I feel a lot of praise of this comic gets is just handling the characters to the standard that I used to expect from the games and Sonic X.

Although they really aren't handled in the same way, Sonic X and especially the games geberally suck in characterization. That and canon inconsistency are its big flaws. For the games.

1 minute ago, Jack-al said:

Although they really aren't handled in the same way, Sonic X and especially the games geberally suck in characterization. That and canon inconsistency are its big flaws. For the games.

I think it only started to get bad around Shadow and even then Secret Rings, Unleashed, and Black Knight handled the characters fine...well maybe not Tails.

5 minutes ago, Slashy said:

I think it only started to get bad around Shadow and even then Secret Rings, Unleashed, and Black Knight handled the characters fine...well maybe not Tails.

Although, when you compare these games to how Sonic Forces and to an extent, Sonic Lost World handled Tails, games like Unleashed did it a bit better.  At least IDW is handling Tails' character much better than how the games have been portraying him lately. Let's hope the movie can handle Tails' character well.