Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

8 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Although, when you compare these games to how Sonic Forces and to an extent, Sonic Lost World handled Tails, games like Unleashed did it a bit better.  At least IDW is handling Tails' character much better than how the games have been portraying him lately. Let's hope the movie can handle Tails' character well.

Every character has been on-point except Eggman and Shadow and even then that's due to the interpretations I prefer from the character. Maybe I am expecting too much from the comic but I want to see these proper characterizations tested and reinforced rather than just simply exemplified.

11 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Every character has been on-point except Eggman and Shadow and even then that's due to the interpretations I prefer from the character. Maybe I am expecting too much from the comic but I want to see these proper characterizations tested and reinforced rather than just simply exemplified.

Wouldn't the comics be your best hope for that kinda thing though? Both the games and even the movie are much more limited in real estate when it comes to testing character convictions and even in the best case scenario will only be able to do so for a small handful of main characters at a time.

For 90% of the cast, its comics or bust in that regard....

22 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Wouldn't the comics be your best hope for that kinda thing though? Both the games and even the movie are much more limited in real estate when it comes to testing character convictions and even in the best case scenario will only be able to do so for a small handful of main characters at a time.

For 90% of the cast, its comics or bust in that regard....

I think the movie did a great job with characters, but it is a reimagining of the entire series rather than building on the main Sonic canon. I am actually hoping Prime will be the Sonic media that pushes what the series is capable of with its storytelling.

I don't have hope with IDW as the company has never seemed concerned with integrity just what will sell with as little effort as possible even if it very well results in less profitability.

I've sort of made my peace with this Shadow. It's different, but not contradictory. The character was just at a crossroads at the end of the dark age. Archie chose one way while IDW chose another. 

Eggman leans more toward Archie's more immoral take but I'm okay with that. Eggman secretly having morals is something the games weren't even consistent about. 

I'll reserve my judgments about Shadow until he shows up again. I used to be pretty nettled by his interpretation, but I've had to accept that things are going to sometimes go in a direction that I don't necessarily agree with.

Eggman is on point tho; I'm sorry to the fans who prefer him as a more sympathetic and likable figure but Eggman is always way more fun when he's being a horrible person and enjoying every second of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I'm sorry to the fans who prefer him as a more sympathetic and likable figure...

They only like the Sonic X version?

Or do they only like him when he's betrayed by the Monster of the Year?

40 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

They only like the Sonic X version?

Or do they only like him when he's betrayed by the Monster of the Year?

He is like this in Boom, several of the games, the film, AOSTH, and debatably the OVA considering how much he puts up with Sara though that might be tone..

I am not sure if your post is a dig at X fans but I think that is the best depiction of Eggman.

Boom is its own beast, AOSTH doesn't portray him sympathetically much, if at all.

Eggman's sympathetic traits are situational and not very consistent 

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

I'll reserve my judgments about Shadow until he shows up again. I used to be pretty nettled by his interpretation, but I've had to accept that things are going to sometimes go in a direction that I don't necessarily agree with.

Eggman is on point tho; I'm sorry to the fans who prefer him as a more sympathetic and likable figure but Eggman is always way more fun when he's being a horrible person and enjoying every second of it.

IMO Crisis City was the only legitimately bad appearance of IDW Shadow. I'm interested in seeing more of how the depict him post-Badnik Bases.

As for Eggman, I agree. Metal Virus was probably his most devastating scheme yet, and I think we'll be seeing the impact of it for a while.

Alright, here's a bold prediction: the next big arc after the Metal Virus saga will be even darker. I honestly don't know how they could top it, but maybe if it features the tackling of particularly serious topics, a vile new villain, and multiple on-panel deaths of background characters.

Not to mention it makes the switch from zombie apocalypse to cosmic horror.

23 minutes ago, EmTiven01 said:

Alright, here's a bold prediction: the next big arc after the Metal Virus saga will be even darker. I honestly don't know how they could top it, but maybe if it features the tackling of particularly serious topics, a vile new villain, and multiple on-panel deaths of background characters.

I would love to see another dark story for this series. What that could be, I don't really know.

28 minutes ago, EmTiven01 said:

IIRC Flynn said Metal Virus is as dark as things are going to get.

If that's the case then they kind of blew their load extremely early. Gonna be really hard to build up anticipation if no other conflicts are gonna escalate to that point.

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

If that's the case then they kind of blew their load extremely early. Gonna be really hard to build up anticipation if no other conflicts are gonna escalate to that point.

I thought this it was a popular opinion that doing the Metal Virus arc so early was a horrible decision.

There are other ways to raise the stakes. 

The zombie virus was an extinction level event, but Eggman really didn't get very far in his plans for world domination because it spiraled out of control so quickly. 

I mean, we are dealing with a guy who Ian has written with the ability to re engineer reality. They can top the metal virus without going darker than it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I think they still can make a dark Sonic story down the line. It may not be as dark as the Metal Virus, but the stakes can still be raised high.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

There are other ways to raise the stakes. 

The zombie virus was an extinction level event, but Eggman really didn't get very far in his plans for world domination because it spiraled out of control so quickly. 

I mean, we are dealing with a guy who Ian has written with the ability to re engineer reality. They can top the metal virus without going darker than it. 

I would argue you can top it by going for more character driven stories, especially if you can make it relatable.

It will depend on what the themes are, how they are presented, and what SEGA is okay with.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of what Sega is okay with, would they even allow background characters being slaughtered en mass? While the Zombot thing was pretty horrifying, at least they were able to be changed back to normal.

In this scenario, they would be permanently killed off and NEVER be seen again. That's what would probably set it apart from the Metal Virus arc.

Though in hindsight, that would really suck. Those poor people who were just turned into Zombots would die horrible deaths afterwards.

Not to mention they could have scenarios in which all the main characters come extremely close to dying themselves.

5 minutes ago, EmTiven01 said:

Speaking of what Sega is okay with, would they even allow background characters being slaughtered en mass? While the Zombot thing was pretty horrifying, at least they were able to be changed back to normal.

In this scenario, they would be permanently killed off and NEVER be seen again. That's what would probably set it apart from the Metal Virus arc.

Though in hindsight, that would really suck. Those poor people who were just turned into Zombots would die horrible deaths afterwards.

Not to mention they could have scenarios in which all the main characters come extremely close to dying themselves.

Probably not that's too dark. I don't think we need death and destruction to be more shocking than the Metal Virus arc.

15 minutes ago, EmTiven01 said:

Didn't SEGA have mandates that state that nobody could die in this comic book series?

On 10/28/2021 at 7:28 PM, Slashy said:

IIRC Flynn said Metal Virus is as dark as things are going to get.

Figures. I genuinely can't think of how much more they could escalate beyond a deathless zombie apocalypse without it not being a kid's book anymore. Aside from actual death, but again. Kid's book. 

There could still be even higher stakes, like a universal/multiversal threat, but the particular mix of stakes and heaviness would be difficult to strike again.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:36 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

Didn't SEGA have mandates that state that nobody could die in this comic book series?

They have mandates against their characters dying. Whisper's team was killed off, so it isn't a hard rule that applies to everyone. Unless that doesn't count because it was a flashback. And I think some randos were implied to have been killed. Maybe it depends on how prominent they are? I can't see SEGA being okay with Tangle or Whisper dying permanently at some point. Whatever the case is, we don't know exactly how it works.

38 minutes ago, Razule said:

Figures. I genuinely can't think of how much more they could escalate beyond a deathless zombie apocalypse without it not being a kid's book anymore. Aside from actual death, but again. Kid's book. 

There could still be even higher stakes, like a universal/multiversal threat, but the particular mix of stakes and heaviness would be difficult to strike again.

Kids have seen much darker stuff outside of Sonic for the past few decades. As long as they’re not putting blood, gore, and adult language like “fuck” into the comic, you’d be surprised how they can escalate it while keeping it a kids book.

I mean, the Metal Virus arc itself was far darker than something like the Black Arms invasion, and something I would expect more from Resident Evil than Sonic.

Anything darker than that wouldn’t have to be universal or multiversal in scale. Off the top of my head, you could make it darker by something simpler and more personal: kidnap Tails, Amy, or Cream and hold them hostage to get Sonic to do your bidding. Throw in other friends of other characters like Charmy for the Chaotix, or Rouge for Shadow, and you can up the stakes even more, simply by targeting a third party that heroes really care about.

• Thumbs Up 5

21 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Kids have seen much darker stuff outside of Sonic for the past few decades. As long as they’re not putting blood, gore, and adult language like “fuck” into the comic, you’d be surprised how they can escalate it while keeping it a kids book.

I mean, the Metal Virus arc itself was far darker than something like the Black Arms invasion, and something I would expect more from Resident Evil than Sonic.

Anything darker than that wouldn’t have to be universal or multiversal in scale. Off the top of my head, you could make it darker by something simpler and more personal: kidnap Tails, Amy, or Cream and hold them hostage to get Sonic to do your bidding. Throw in other friends of other characters like Charmy for the Chaotix, or Rouge for Shadow, and you can up the stakes even more, simply by targeting a third party that heroes really care about.

Even if it were to involve something like an eldritch abomination, their schemes don't even have to be cosmic in scale. They could simply fuck over Sonic and his friends just for shits and giggles. (see Nyarlathotep from the Cthulhu Mythos)

Then of course said eldritch abomination could just take on a form that scares the shit out of whoever's reading the comic. Imagine how Sega would react if they got complaints from parents because of it.

30 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Kids have seen much darker stuff outside of Sonic for the past few decades. As long as they’re not putting blood and gore into the comic, you’d be surprised how they can escalate it while keeping it a kids book.

Anything darker than that wouldn’t have to be universal or multiversal in scale. Off the top of my head, you could make it darker by something simpler and more personal: kidnap Tails, Amy, or Cream and hold them hostage to get Sonic to do your bidding. Throw in other friends of other characters like Charmy for the Chaotix, or Rouge for Shadow, and you can up the stakes simply by targeting a third party that heroes really care about.

That would be a great idea. Or they could have a later story arc where Sonic actually starts questioning about whether or not he should be more aggressive towards the antagonists since his actions in letting Metal Sonic go in the Metal Virus Arc led to the events of the arc.  The Metal Virus arc did explore a bit about whether it was a good idea for Sonic to show mercy to his enemies and maybe a later story arc could have Sonic actually have a moment of weakness and abandon that ideology when things get too intense.

• Thumbs Up 1