Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

4 minutes ago, EmTiven01 said:

Even if it were to involve something like an eldritch abomination, their schemes don't even have to be cosmic in scale. They could simply fuck over Sonic and his friends just for shits and giggles. (see Nyarlathotep from the Cthulhu Mythos)

Then of course said eldritch abomination could just take on a form that scares the shit out of whoever's reading the comic. Imagine how Sega would react if they got complaints from parents because of it.

Considering this franchise has had experience with multiple eldritch abominations in the past, I can’t really see how they’d have problems.

For instance, were their any parents complaining about Perfect Dark Gaia, with his seven eyes and two tongues in its mouth, along with six arms and multiple tentacles?

I feel like everyone is thinking too narrow on how to make things darker. I mean if we had a giant arc where a villain emotionally manipulates Amy into doing their bidding and we have Amy briefly needing to learn to trust people again. I am somewhat confident that might work.

I know it might sound cringey for this franchise, but maybe we can have other dark themes beyond destruction? The problem is there isn't really a template for doing other dark themes besides destruction for Sonic and franchises very similar to Sonic. There would need to be creativity and guidance from other kids media.

46 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Considering this franchise has had experience with multiple eldritch abominations in the past, I can’t really see how they’d have problems.

For instance, were their any parents complaining about Perfect Dark Gaia, with his seven eyes and two tongues in its mouth, along with six arms and multiple tentacles?

You have a point there. I guess it's just the mandates that made me think Sega wants to play things safe from now on.

Back on topic, how do you think the villain I described could work in the comic?

34 minutes ago, Slashy said:

I feel like everyone is thinking too narrow on how to make things darker. I mean if we had a giant arc where a villain emotionally manipulates Amy into doing their bidding and we have Amy briefly needing to learn to trust people again. I am somewhat confident that might work.

I know it might sound cringey for this franchise, but maybe we can have other dark themes beyond destruction? The problem is there isn't really a template for doing other dark themes besides destruction for Sonic and franchises very similar to Sonic. There would need to be creativity and guidance from other kids media.

Sounds just about right, and what kinds of psychological attacks would be applied to other characters?

Also we forget that the comic could also go in the opposite direction if it wanted to and do an arc that tries to be as ridiculous and wacky as possible. I think this is overlooked because the rest of Sonic's media tends to veer in the opposite direction but still try to have sincere character moments and an attempt to have more than a paper thin plot it could still be entertaining.

I think there could be something entertaining about going in the complete opposite direction in terms of tone. Pontaff really don't go far enough in their goofiness, and I think trying to beat out AOSTH and Dash and Spin in silly tone could actually be compelling even in concept.

6 hours ago, Slashy said:

Also we forget that the comic could also go in the opposite direction if it wanted to and do an arc that tries to be as ridiculous and wacky as possible. I think this is overlooked because the rest of Sonic's media tends to veer in the opposite direction but still try to have sincere character moments and an attempt to have more than a paper thin plot it could still be entertaining.

I think there could be something entertaining about going in the complete opposite direction in terms of tone. Pontaff really don't go far enough in their goofiness, and I think trying to beat out AOSTH and Dash and Spin in silly tone could actually be compelling even in concept.

How would that even work? I don't think they could go batshit insane with the comedy at this point given how fleshed out the series is already. Maybe if they brought back the Off-Panels or something?

Unless Sonic fights Mxyzptlk or goes to some kinda crazy dimension, etc. I don't think we can go this wild without breaking the tone.

30th anniversary special is as wacky as things go. Unless you count Skelly's artstyle which is a litte crazier than norm.

But between Boom, Hesse shorts, Pontac/Graff, Movie and Sonic facebook stuff, I don't think Sonic lacked in comedy in last decade.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CertifiedNobody said:

How would that even work? I don't think they could go batshit insane with the comedy at this point given how fleshed out the series is already. Maybe if they brought back the Off-Panels or something?

I mean this series has never been super rigid with its rules. I mean there is sentient fruit and a god that lives in the center of the planet that looks like a fairy Chihuahua not to mention the number of episodes of Sonic X that come off as ridiculous like Eggman challenging our heroes to play a baseball game to earn a chaos emerald.

If you want a simple plot, Eggman traps our heroes in a deadly game show. You could easily stretch that for 12 issues and go ham with the challenges.

I am sure I can go wackier but that is an easy way to get a reverse Metal Virus arc in terms of tone.

52 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

30th anniversary special is as wacky as things go. Unless you count Skelly's artstyle which is a litte crazier than norm.

But between Boom, Hesse shorts, Pontac/Graff, Movie and Sonic facebook stuff, I don't think Sonic lacked in comedy in last decade.

I will agree with your second point, but X and TSR overdrive already went wackier than the 30th Anniversary Special.

13 hours ago, EmTiven01 said:

Speaking of what Sega is okay with, would they even allow background characters being slaughtered en mass? While the Zombot thing was pretty horrifying, at least they were able to be changed back to normal.

In this scenario, they would be permanently killed off and NEVER be seen again. That's what would probably set it apart from the Metal Virus arc.

11 hours ago, EmTiven01 said:

Even if it were to involve something like an eldritch abomination, their schemes don't even have to be cosmic in scale. They could simply fuck over Sonic and his friends just for shits and giggles. (see Nyarlathotep from the Cthulhu Mythos)

Then of course said eldritch abomination could just take on a form that scares the shit out of whoever's reading the comic. Imagine how Sega would react if they got complaints from parents because of it.

I was wondering why the wording sounded so familiar. Didn't you post about "What if Shadow gets the absolute crap beaten out of him by a new villain just for shits and giggles & traumatize everyone" and "can we have a new villain that's literally a devil with god-powers who will easily defeat Sonic & co physically and psychologically" before?

9 hours ago, Slashy said:

I don't think it's that ridiculous or wacky, but your idea reminds of the Champions arc.

Tbh I wish IDW did a bit more low-stake slice of life adventures on it's earlier runs, because after making the entire world suffer a apocalyptic zombie outbreak, anything less threatening they're gonna do afterwards gonna feel...lame? At least, the whole Starline/Belle/Surge&Kit deal doesn't feel as exciting.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm excited for Surge and Kit because its been a long ass time since a Sonic rival (that's not Shadow) has actually meant something and Tails almost never gets a rival.

Even if the story is pretty low on stakes, the potential interplay between the two pairs is what makes it potentially exciting. 

• Thumbs Up 4

In

32 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

I was wondering why the wording sounded so familiar. Didn't you post about "What if Shadow gets the absolute crap beaten out of him by a new villain just for shits and giggles & traumatize everyone" and "can we have a new villain that's literally a devil with god-powers who will easily defeat Sonic & co physically and psychologically" before?

I don't think it's that ridiculous or wacky, but your idea reminds of the Champions arc.

Tbh I wish IDW did a bit more low-stake slice of life adventures on it's earlier runs, because after making the entire world suffer a apocalyptic zombie outbreak, anything less threatening they're gonna do afterwards gonna feel...lame? At least, the whole Starline/Belle/Surge&Kit deal doesn't feel as exciting.

Champions is aiming too low. i am thinking more along the lines of bringing back the Boos.

Tails had few enemies, but never a proper "nemesis"

Sonic, has.. little army.
Shadow had Eclipse, Mephiles, Black Doom, kinda Infinite
Knuckles had Finitevus or whole Dark Legion (and Zachary if you care for Fleetway)
Even Blaze had Nega, Whiskers or Captain Metal

Tails had Miles, Moggul, Bird Armada, Wendy, but none of those guys had fleshed relation with Tails. Fiona Fox firmly cut her connections to him. The closest he ever had was Speedy and that's kinda lame.

I kinda wish he got his "own" villain, not "partner to Surge, both of them working for Starline, who's himself ex-protagee of Eggman" but maybe I'm overthinking this.

(Hmm, now I wonder if Amy ever gets 'rival' character)

IMO the only real high stakes and long arc in IDW so far is the Metal Virus. Neo Metal Sonic saga was basically a post-Forces thing, a bit an epilogue to tie things up, and of course the 50 milestone issue seems like a new war between Eggman and Starline.

If anything, the current saga has too many breather/low stakes/focused arcs. It's just that there is a common theme in Belle. But I guess IDW will never have an episodic slice of life format. It is still very much story focused.

13 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

IMO the only real high stakes and long arc in IDW so far is the Metal Virus. Neo Metal Sonic saga was basically a post-Forces thing, a bit an epilogue to tie things up, and of course the 50 milestone issue seems like a new war between Eggman and Starline.

If anything, the current saga has too many breather/low stakes/focused arcs. It's just that there is a common theme in Belle. But I guess IDW will never have an episodic slice of life format. It is still very much story focused.

It is too story focused while having really basic simple plots. The bigger problem is all the character centric conflicts are not given enough weight. They are rarely set up well and never get much attention compared to the action focused A plot. These character centric plots and action plots should be more closely linked and/or the character drama should be more exhillerating.

30 minutes ago, Slashy said:

It is too story focused while having really basic simple plots. The bigger problem is all the character centric conflicts are not given enough weight. They are rarely set up well and never get much attention compared to the action focused A plot. These character centric plots and action plots should be more closely linked and/or the character drama should be more exhillerating.

Define "exhilarating"? 

I feel like every arc focused on the comic originals has held up, and even Cream gets a somewhat emotional conflict against Zeena back in All or Nothing.

9 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Define "exhilarating"? 

I feel like every arc focused on the comic originals has held up, and even Cream gets a somewhat emotional conflict against Zeena back in All or Nothing.

I am referring to the smaller post-Metal Virus arcs.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/28/2021 at 8:14 PM, Slashy said:

I thought this it was a popular opinion that doing the Metal Virus arc so early was a horrible decision.

It was. Still kinda is for some

On 10/28/2021 at 9:38 PM, Razule said:

They have mandates against their characters dying. Tangle's team was killed off, so it isn't a hard rule that applies to everyone. Unless that doesn't count because it was a flashback. And I think some randos were implied to have been killed. Maybe it depends on how prominent they are? I can't see SEGA being okay with Tangle or Whisper dying permanently at some point. Whatever the case is, we don't know exactly how it works.

Poor Jewel.

11 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Tails had few enemies, but never a proper "nemesis"

Sonic, has.. little army.
Shadow had Eclipse, Mephiles, Black Doom, kinda Infinite
Knuckles had Finitevus or whole Dark Legion (and Zachary if you care for Fleetway)
Even Blaze had Nega, Whiskers or Captain Metal

Tails had Miles, Moggul, Bird Armada, Wendy, but none of those guys had fleshed relation with Tails. Fiona Fox firmly cut her connections to him. The closest he ever had was Speedy and that's kinda lame.

I kinda wish he got his "own" villain, not "partner to Surge, both of them working for Starline, who's himself ex-protagee of Eggman" but maybe I'm overthinking this.

(Hmm, now I wonder if Amy ever gets 'rival' character)

Little army?

Knuckles was also supposed to have Helmut and Thrash before the lawsuit forced their hand.

And Tails apparently had a Commander Brutus in StC as well. But otherwise, he just fights whoever else happens to be alongside Eggman.

As for Any? Hm...I suppose Rouge may have been considered for Heroes at one point and she also had a spat with the Iron King, but he was firmly about Monkey Khan more

11 hours ago, Slashy said:

I'm honestly struggling on how to feel about this idea.

Has anyone managed to Pre-Order Issue 48 from anywhere? I get my Comics from Forbidden Planet and have bought all the Sonic IDW from there since #1. 
They only have issue 47 up for pre order and the first two issues of ‘Imposter Syndrome’.

Usually there is at least 3-4 future numbered issues up for pre-order. 

It's probably delays.

You expected 4 month of double Sonic goodness? HA! Tough Luck!
Imposter Syndrome 1 in November
Sonic 47 in December
Imposter Syndrome 2 in January
Pray that we release something in February.

I only recently learned how most manga (art and story by one dude) updates weekly. Japanese are officially insane (I mean that in a good and bad way).

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

It's probably delays.

You expected 4 month of double Sonic goodness? HA! Tough Luck!
Imposter Syndrome 1 in November
Sonic 47 in December
Imposter Syndrome 2 in January
Pray that we release something in February.

I only recently learned how most manga (art and story by one dude) updates weekly. Japanese are officially insane (I mean that in a good and bad way).

To be fair, most manga are black and white. That does at least partially reduce the workload for creators.

RCO005_1582364094.png

RCO005_1582364094.jpg

5 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Has anyone managed to Pre-Order Issue 48 from anywhere? I get my Comics from Forbidden Planet and have bought all the Sonic IDW from there since #1. 
They only have issue 47 up for pre order and the first two issues of ‘Imposter Syndrome’.

Usually there is at least 3-4 future numbered issues up for pre-order. 

Remember Imposter Syndrome is being published interchangeably with the mainline book. You ARE getting 3 future issues lined up, it's just two of them are Imposter Syndrome.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

To be fair, most manga are black and white. That does at least partially reduce the workload for creators.

RCO005_1582364094.png

RCO005_1582364094.jpg

Wait, this looks amazing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Wait, this looks amazing. 

I dropped a few pages into Clip Studio Paint, converted them from color to monotone, and chose the one that didn't look like a mess.