Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I mean, if you're gonna add Cream, you kind of need to actually give her a relationship with Sonic lol. That's one of the biggest pitfalls about that character, she has no...real dynamic with Sonic...or Tails for that matter. 

Uh, Tails more than Sonic. She generally had a "little sister to cheer up and bring gifts to" bond with the latter.

2 hours ago, Slashy said:

The only thing I would beg for SEGAs approval is to let me do more with Vanilla. Though the biggest thing I would want for her to be is a historian/culture expert because it would be too much even for Tails to expect him to be familiar with all of that.

Oh, okay, that might actually be a pretty neat expansion.

1 hour ago, Razule said:

He would actually. That's why they conveniently end up in the same place so often. He's a wanderer, like Sonic. His new "search for strong opponents" motive gives him even more of a reason. 

Here's hoping IDW just bites the bullet and creates a sufficient strong foe or two so Shadow can have an actual direction he can fuck off to.

I mean, fair but its something that isn't focused on very often in the games. Like, if you were gonna make Cream a permanent cast member, she would need arcs dedicated to fleshing her dynamic out with the rest of the group to better integrate her.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Diogenes said:

The thinnest of connective threads, executed terribly. Anyone who thought they were getting in on a "serialized epic" because of that made a big mistake.

There were a lot of threads being followed up on. Metal Sonic being stuffed in a refrigerator in SA1 before fully returning in Heroes. Cream being introduced in the Advanced games and already being friends with Amy with zero fanfare in Heroes because they expected you to have played that. The master Emerald-Echidna stuff in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 being recurring all the way through to SA2. Chaos and Gamma reappearing in Sonic Battle. Blaze returning in Rush Adventure etc etc. The most Mario could claim in comparison is Bowser Jr becoming recurring. Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't even line up canonically with 1.

There were a lot of products and as far as I could see they weren't contradicting eachother. Sonic was building a stable of allies and a loose history of the chaos emeralds throughout the 90s-2000s. Now, they pumped the breaks on it in the 2010s for reasons that MOSTLY make sense to me and I don't really want them to go back to the 2000s anymore but  but I can see why people thought that they were in on a serialized story. It being bad isn't even really a mark against it. Most of the shonen Sonic was cribbing from was bad too.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Wraith said:

There were a lot of threads being followed up on. Metal Sonic being stuffed in a refrigerator in SA1 before fully returning in Heroes. Cream being introduced in the Advanced games and already being friends with Amy with zero fanfare in Heroes because they expected you to have played that. The master Emerald-Echidna stuff in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 being recurring all the way through to SA2. Chaos and Gamma reappearing in Sonic Battle. Blaze returning in Rush Adventure etc etc. The most Mario could claim in comparison is Bowser Jr becoming recurring. Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't even line up canonically with 1.

There were a lot of products and as far as I could see they weren't contradicting eachother. Sonic was building a stable of allies and a loose history of the chaos emeralds throughout the 90s-2000s. Now, they pumped the breaks on it in the 2010s for reasons that MOSTLY make sense to me and I don't really want them to go back to the 2000s anymore but  but I can see why people thought that they were in on a serialized story. It being bad isn't even really a mark against it. Most of the shonen Sonic was cribbing from was bad too.

I don't think you can really compare Sonic and Mario story-wise: Mario doesn't focus on that part because it's the pinnacle of gameplay and doesn't really bother with story building. Sonic, on the other side, tries to be good at both story and gameplay. The result: fails in both resulting "meh" at best in most cases. I mena, even the Sonic Team has admitted not knowing if Eggman Nega is a future descendant from Eggman or his alternate version from a parallel dimension.

• Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, SkyHorizon said:

I don't think you can really compare Sonic and Mario story-wise: Mario doesn't focus on that part because it's the pinnacle of gameplay and doesn't really bother with story building. Sonic, on the other side, tries to be good at both story and gameplay. The result: fails in both resulting "meh" at best in most cases. I mena, even the Sonic Team has admitted not knowing if Eggman Nega is a future descendant from Eggman or his alternate version from a parallel dimension.

Yeah I think Mario knows to stay in it's lane and it makes for a much better series. Wasn't trying to knock him or anything like that

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

A lot of people genuinely like Sonic X. Most of the time they’re usually talking about the Japanese version not 4kids dub

The fact that none likes 4kids dub doesn't mean they liked the third season, which usually is the less appreciated of the three. 😅

I always did appreciate how Sonic attempted to have an ongoing plot...even if they weren't particularly good at it. Like, its obvious people were still invested and the lack of it nowadays is very apparent. But if they don't have the chops for it and aren't willing to put in the extra effort (which to be fair, makes sense because Sonic games never sell for their plot) then its makes to play it safe. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, SkyHorizon said:

The fact that none likes 4kids dub doesn't mean they liked the third season, which usually is the less appreciated of the three. 😅

I suppose it depends of where ? In several place where I talk about Sonic, it's usually thought at the best season of Sonic X. (But in France, we have the chance of having our translation based on the japanese version and not the english version).

So Ian confirmed that Infinite isn't dead and his fate is unknown at this point.

I asked him in the live Bumblekast if he was now available for the comics but got no answer on that.

7 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

So Ian confirmed that Infinite isn't dead and his fate is unknown at this point.

I asked him in the live Bumblekast if he was now available for the comics but got no answer on that.

Is the whole "absorbed into the ruby" part true? I heard people talking about it...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2021 at 7:35 PM, Kazhnuz said:

I suppose it depends of where ? In several place where I talk about Sonic, it's usually thought at the best season of Sonic X. (But in France, we have the chance of having our translation based on the japanese version and not the english version).

Ah, ouais, j'avais oublié que les français avaient un lien particulier avec la 3ème season (et une traduction franchement bonne ;).

2 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Is the whole "absorbed into the ruby" part true? I heard people talking about it...

Yes, but Shadow fell from space, so that isn't conclusive enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Two worlds isn't canon anymore. In a recent Sonic Channel text story they establish that everything occurs on a single planet.

Can I ask where it is please?

• Thumbs Up 2

This is a sequel to the previous stories, establishing Green Hill Zone, Angel Island Zone, Twinkle Park, Apotos/Windmill Isle, Music Plant Zone, Speed Highway, Mission Street, Eggmanland, Windy Valley, Kingdom Valley, Coral Cave Zone, Space Colony ARK as on the same planet.

Yep, there are chances that the 2W is discontinuated for the moment (if it's not part of the "sometimes they crossover"). But Flynn's answer is still interesting in that two world seems to be still a possible ways to see things, and looks like the details haven't really been settled about how "human and mobian" will be handled, so we certainly still won't see humans for a while.

( Even if TBH, the answer is certainly way more that they still don't care much about what Sonic's world is. )

50 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Coral Cave Zone

Well for this one, nope xD

I want to put "two worlds" in a unmarked shallow grave in dark part of the woods just as much as a next guy...

but IDK if Sonic Channel story is prove enough.... then again Two Worlds was just a interview statement, not backed up by anything in games as well.

What I'm saying is that Sonic lives in Schrondinger number of world right now.

22 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Yep, there are chances that the 2W is discontinuated for the moment (if it's not part of the "sometimes they crossover"). But Flynn's answer is still interesting in that two world seems to be still a possible ways to see things, and looks like the details haven't really been settled about how "human and mobian" will be handled, so we certainly still won't see humans for a while.

( Even if TBH, the answer is certainly way more that they still don't care much about what Sonic's world is. )

Well for this one, nope xD

Whoops, accidentally included that since it had a story. Still, it's directly stated that Angel Island exists in the same world as Station Square and the ARK, and they make it very clear that there is only one world.

20 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I want to put "two worlds" in a unmarked shallow grave in dark part of the woods just as much as a next guy...

but IDK if Sonic Channel story is prove enough.... then again Two Worlds was just a interview statement, not backed up by anything in games as well.

What I'm saying is that Sonic lives in Schrondinger number of world right now.

At the moment there's far more evidence against it, and Ian Flynn doesn't even think about it anymore. When asked if the Black Arms invaded Tangle's town, he didn't even think of two worlds, he just said they only attacked the major cities,

I have a big hypothesis on why we won't see humans for a while. It is less to do with fears that the brand will be ruined with them present and more to do with design.

I think when humans DO come back there will be a defined design and the artists will have to follow them. The humans used to constantly switch designs between each piece of media and I believe SEGA doesnt want that anymore, but until they have the design sheets ready they aren't allowed to be placed in the comic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do people really want the Unleashed humans back? I've seen a lot of support for that design but I don't think "ugly pixar reject" fits the comic's style.

Funny_People_2.png.06da964cbd5d4be9eb7d2bfa673911b4.png

I'd prefer if they looked like the humans in Adventure 2, late archie, and Shadow, where they look mostly normal but with a little exaggeration to make them fit into the world