Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I feel like Trial by Fire suffered from the fact that...its pretty much just a stopgap for Imposter Syndrome. Its rather clear the writers are more interested in building up Surge and Kit and their inevitable showdown with Sonic and Tails, so this arc just ends up like feeling like an afterthought as a result. The fact that its one issue shorter than a normal story arc just compounds it. 

Its a shame too because I thought the premise of focusing on the likes lower-deck characters like Amy, Jewel, and Tangle was a novel idea, but yea, the arc never really delved too much into their interpersonal conflicts like with previous arcs. Its not bad in all honesty, but it's clearly just here to build up the aforementioned showdown in issue 50 with the Imposters. 

That is very true.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I don't think Tangle or Belle fit that description.

Tangle has always just been a guest character aside from the Miniseries, though

Belle was technically supposed to be one too, she(and I guess by association, Tangle in the Tower arc) just hasn't felt like it because we've seen so much of her back to back.

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I think the Chaotix arc, if it is an arc an not just a single issue story, will be a little better since the Chaotix have a much more interesting dynamic and and more proactive in figuring out what's going on.

Yeah, it helps that they have more entertaining and wayside vibe by their nature. Plus, we've seen less from them.

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

That's wishful thinking. 

Besides, you kind of already established that you never really cared about Amy and girls to begin with, so I don't think this arc was ever really going to appeal to you. 

1 hour ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Yeah that's true. I don't dislike Amy but her and the other Trial By Fire characters (except maybe Jewel) have already been explored in other story arcs so the focus on them didn't feel new or needed.

It's not solely due to bias that I think a Chaotix story will be an improvement. Trial By Fire felt tacked on to IS. If it were removed, the story would be entirely the same. The Chaotix are detectives, their whole purpose is progressing the plot, and they've been the catalyst for both the Mr. Tinker arc and the Metal Virus taking over Resistance HQ in their previous stories.

I'm kinda of two minds on that, thinking about it 

On one hand, I too already admitted to not caring much going into Trial by Fire. After all, each of the four stars range from okay to meh to (formerly) bleh with me and for the most part, I wasn't really interested nor appealed by seeing them get the focus again. Which are feelings the Chaotix & Skunk Bros don't give me since I not only do I like most of those characters, but have also complained/lamented about their not getting many chances to even be in an arc 

On the other, the arc suffers for not actually doing that much with the characters on top of Imposter Syndrome & the upcoming milestone stealing it's nonexistent thunder. It mainly got any chance of kudos for having the very prominent Amy be the undisputed game star who shows a neglected trait for one scene, giving popular for being popular Tangle the veneer of an arc, having do nothing Jewel sorta step up immediately after Zeti Hunt squandered it's chance with a number of things, and seeing Belle be [vaguely better] Belle.

Either way, I guess it's a matter of not hurting for screentime characters sorta but not really getting character work vs. genuine C-listers popping in for what is hopefully a fun time that reflects  the main story more.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Out of the characters in this arc, I thought Amy was the biggest one. I don't think sharing it with big (or bigger) characters would be a problem. Or even being a stepping stone for another arc. What would matter to me the most would be the focus just being on her or whoever it was centered on.

Yeah, she's here because she really wanted that vacation but as far as the focus goes, most of it was on the other three characters she was with. I know the other three are the only ones who can well and truly develop, in a sense, but that's been a hurdle the book has managed to vi-pass by simply exploring more about what we do know about them. 

At least it had the good sense to only be three issues.

Yea, this was more or less what I mean; Amy is in this arc as a major character, but the focus is generally on Tangle struggling with Whisper's departure, and Jewel trying to be a good organizer I guess. Amy herself is mostly incidental to the happenings. 

Oh well, I'm not really too upset despite how I sound. I'll probably reread this arc and reevaluate my feelings. 

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Oh well, I'm not really too upset despite how I sound. I'll probably reread this arc and reevaluate my feelings. 

Yeah, me too. Another issue, another arc. 

At the end of the day, I always find myself focusing more on what I enjoy whenever I look back. I'm just... really grateful for this book's existance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really have much to add other than there are a lot of assumptions being made about how good the chaotix arc is going to be. IMO every arc written by Evan has had similar issues so I don't expect her to shake that stuff off right off the bat. Doesn't really matter who she decides to use.

Anyway I thought it was fine but I think I would have rather had more of the camping trip than the forest fire stuff? The interactions there were more interesting and I was kind of hoping for more a slice of life arc than another action story. I see some debating about what the core of the arc was but I think it was just about giving Belle the chance to play hero. Amy really didn't have much going on beyond shepherding the original characters along and  hinting at some stuff with her cards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having just re-read all three issues back to back, the emotional core of the arc is definitely on Tangle and Jewel, and Belle gets a chance to shine as a hero in her own right I guess. Its honestly fine now that I look at it that way, especially since in Tangle's case, it builds on her relationship with Whisper...however you want to read into it :V But yea, Amy definitely takes a backseat here, so I hope people weren't going in expecting her to be one of the main focuses, her presence is more to set things up for the other characters. 

Incidentally, this issue just marginalizes the Restoration even more as even Tangle and Whisper just opt to leave it lmao. So literally every major character so far has all but cut ties to it. I suppose that's one way of returning to a more traditional Sonic status quo. I wonder what this means for Tangle and Whisper though...are they just....gonna only be like every other recurring character now and make sporadic appearances?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

The main book has been focused on Sonic for the most part, and whichever character he's partnered with. Obviously its mostly Tails, cuz of course. 

But Starline and Zavok got to star in Bad Guys, and have been the main antagonists for the past couple of arcs; Starline in particularly is pretty much the main villain of this year more or less given he's created Surge and Kit.

Every other character has been mostly playing supporting roles in whatever arc they've appeared in. Trial by Fire is the first time the focus is exclusively on the secondary cast with both Sonic & Tails only appearing in the first and last parts of it. But like I Said, it's mostly just setup for the showdown with Starline and his creations. 

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

I think the idea of having lower stake arcs is perfectly fine, and actually needed in a series like this...it just needs to actually be good lmao. Like I said, this arc just exists to build up to milestone issue in #50. And I'm sure once we get that showdown between Sonic and Surge, we'll all look back on this as some great type of foreshadowing. 

Uh...does it though?

Like sure, seeing their silhouette's twice was a nice bit of foreshadowing to their existence (even if we already had a reveal and production video beforehand). But immediately afterwards, we got the first issue of Imposter Syndrome, which introduced their characters, established their strenuous existence with Starline, and also showed why they started the fire in the first place.

To go from that to this final issue of the arc, which doesn't really have the characters remark upon them on top of not really having anything happen [beyond basic resolution tit the fire] anyway, sees a near total lack of intrigue behind.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

......But man, can Amy finally get an arc that she can call her own without either sharing it with bigger characters or just being used as a stepping stone for another arc. Girl can't catch a break. 

True day. The ingredients were there, but unfortunately, she just got overshadowed and/or rendered kinda moot

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Yea, this was more or less what I mean; Amy is in this arc as a major character, but the focus is generally on Tangle struggling with Whisper's departure, and Jewel trying to be a good organizer I guess. Amy herself is mostly incidental to the happenings. 

I'm trying to tell how the omission of Belle there further reflects on the impact of the arc .

52 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I don't really have much to add other than there are a lot of assumptions being made about how good the chaotix arc is going to be. IMO every arc written by Evan has had similar issues so I don't expect her to shake that stuff off right off the bat. Doesn't really matter who she decides to use.

Its less banking on it being "good" so much as just being something truly different again.

52 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Anyway I thought it was fine but I think I would have rather had more of the camping trip than the forest fire stuff? The interactions there were more interesting and I was kind of hoping for more a slice of life arc than another action story. I see some debating about what the core of the arc was but I think it was just about giving Belle the chance to play hero. Amy really didn't have much going on beyond shepherding the original characters along and  hinting at some stuff with her cards.

That's sorta what I'm thinking as well. Feels like only big fans of any of these characters (plus maybe people who want to see Tangle and Whisper together again) will walk away from this arc kinda happy, but even then, it feels like they got gipped.

39 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Incidentally, this issue just marginalizes the Restoration even more as even Tangle and Whisper just opt to leave it lmao. So literally every major character so far has all but cut ties to it. I suppose that's one way of returning to a more traditional Sonic status quo. I wonder what this means for Tangle and Whisper though...are they just....gonna only be like every other recurring character now and make sporadic appearances?

Kyeh, it's like, set the bitch on fire and leave Jewel with the ashes. 😂You know what, maybe that's the lowkey reason I feel bad for her. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Story about girls dealing with their inner conflicts? That's fine, low stakes aren't bad. Chao Racing was arguably better until Starline and Avalanche showed up.

First problem is that fire is such a boring treat to deal with. I would change it into something even smaller, but I suppose we needed a crisis that demands Jewel's leadership, missing kid wouldn't cause such panic.

Secondly, too many girls want to be main character of this story. Jewel has most satisfying arc, but I have no idea when Tangle resolved her issues. I guess danger and adventure are solution to her all problems. Belle seemed like main-main protagonist, but by the last issue she's fairly superfluous to the plot. Overall all arcs are fine, just feel squished.

I'm fine with Amy still in the back, but I guess I would prefer if she helped all the girls, not just Jewel. Belle's card scene went kinda nowhere.

• Thumbs Up 3

Belle's card scene was obvious setup for later. Just because she takes a back seat in imposter syndrome doesn't mean we've seen the last of her in the driver's chair. 

I don't even going Belle will take a complete backseat in Imposter Syndrome given Surge and Kit are the result of what Starline found in her head.

Speaking of...

Looks like Imposter Syndrome 3 is when they start rebelling against him.

9 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Holiday Rouge is here to steal your emeralds the show

FHWW6AhVQAEYcoZ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

If you thought Vampire Jewel and  Whisper Witch were pushin it, Holiday Rouge has a present for ya.

🎵So hurry down the chimney tonight 🎵

10 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

It's a little late now, but does art that's not IDW-related belong in this thread?

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

It's a little late now, but does art that's not IDW-related belong in this thread?

If an artist that works for IDW Sonic makes Sonic art, I feel like it's Ok to post it here.

I mean, if people don't want to see art from the official artists unless it's actually confirmed to happen in this universe, I could make a "Sonic Comic/Manga Artists Random Sonic Art". 

Granted, I've also wondered if I should go back to just posting Sonic Channel stuff in the original Sonic Channel thread instead...

• Thumbs Up 2

I just realized something funny since Evan took over, about 2 main IDW characters.

Evan mostly writers Belle. (Chao Race, Test Run, Fire)
Flynn mostly writes Starline. (Bad Guys, Zeit Hunt, Imposter)

Starline been with us for a while, and has encyclopedic knowledge about the franchise, understanding it on deep Metal level.

Belle is newcomer, technically was with us from early days, but only now she gets the spotlight.

Only I see the similarities? It's hard not to look at Belle's concerns about being accept by general populace (as a new Main writer) or Starline's philosophizing about Sonic/Eggman conflict (as someone who spend over decade overseeing this fight) and not see the writers faces.

2 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I just realized something funny since Evan took over, about 2 main IDW characters.

Evan mostly writers Belle. (Chao Race, Test Run, Fire)
Flynn mostly writes Starline. (Bad Guys, Zeit Hunt, Imposter)

Starline been with us for a while, and has encyclopedic knowledge about the franchise, understanding it on deep Metal level.

Belle is newcomer, technically was with us from early days, but only now she gets the spotlight.

Only I see the similarities? It's hard not to look at Belle's concerns about being accept by general populace (as a new Main writer) or Starline's philosophizing about Sonic/Eggman conflict (as someone who spend over decade overseeing this fight) and not see the writers faces.

I know Starline has been likened to an OC with a tendency to show off new powers, but yeah, the fact that he's all about analyzing the status quo and was originally supposed to be critical of Eggman's tendency to give up on ideas does vaguely fit.

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

FHadu8zVEAQk93Y?format=jpg&name=large

That’s nice, but it means jackshit if she ain’t in IDW.

15 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

That’s nice, but it means jackshit if she ain’t in IDW.

Alright, alright, I'll construct a "Sonic Fanart by Official Artists" Topic.

From this post on, any art posted will be IDW covers, previews, concepts, turnarounds, and fanart of the IDW exclusive stuff like the IDW exclusive characters, Metal Virus, etc.

Granted, I'm only imposing this on myself and am not a mod by any means.

• Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Alright, alright, I'll construct a "Sonic Fanart by Official Artists" Topic.

I was actually saying that to mean “put Sticks in IDW,” but that’s not a bad idea. 😂

Not that you have to make one, but that I was just being silly. I Probably should’ve put an emoji in that last post.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/24/2021 at 6:38 AM, Sonictrainer said:

Emeralds are a girl's best friend! I imagine that paraphrasing of a famous musical number would be going through her head. 

So does this confirm that the Eggnet is a specific Eggman network and not just the Sonic equivalent of the internet? It's usually only given passing mentions so it's been hard to determine.

6 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

So does this confirm that the Eggnet is a specific Eggman network and not just the Sonic equivalent of the internet? It's usually only given passing mentions so it's been hard to determine.

It’s essentially Eggman’s personal internet, a carryover from Archie transferred here to IDW. It’s never been a “Sonic” equivalent, but one strictly belonging and used by Eggman and his affiliates.

Sonic and friends use something completely different depending on the continuity—if they were using the Eggnet for daily life, then Eggman would be the world’s greatest moron letting his enemies easy access to his stuff. (Edit—On second thought…)

• Thumbs Up 7