Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

More previews for Imposter Syndrome #2

Surge is looking more like Shadow on a really bad day than Sonic tbh

• Thumbs Up 4

I know I'm super late to say this (or maybe I already did and forgot) but it feels weird to have an origin/spinoff series for Surge and Kit along/before their official debut. I mean we got the Tangle & Whisper series after they made a good amount of appearance in the main one.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Surge is looking more like Shadow on a really bad day than Sonic tbh

I just realized both are artificially created hedgehog-y creature with special speed-related powers, manipulated by a scientist for their own goals and presumably stays as a rival for Sonic even after the initial conflict. Maybe a stretch but her looks (2-color, punk/"cool" fashion) and personality (reminds me of fanon Shadow, the mean/edgy/angsty ones) gives off that vibe too.

The purpose is to build up to the inevitable clash with Sonic. Its supposed to tie into the main issues leading up to 50.

2 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

I know I'm super late to say this (or maybe I already did and forgot) but it feels weird to have an origin/spinoff series for Surge and Kit along/before their official debut. I mean we got the Tangle & Whisper series after they made a good amount of appearance in the main one.

That is true but personally I enjoy the confidence that must go into such a decision. IDW's increasing stock of original characters continues to grow and most of them feel natural, well thought out, and I'm excited to see where their next stories take them. We're going to hit issue #50 soon, I'm excited by how far things will have progressed by the time we reach issue #100.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/10/2022 at 6:06 PM, The Hedgehog. said:

Howdy. 

New here. 

I haven't read a IDW Sonic issue since 2019.

What has happened since then? 

New villains are always welcome. Everyone else is dead or good now.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

The purpose is to build up to the inevitable clash with Sonic. Its supposed to tie into the main issues leading up to 50.

I kinda prefer the traditional method of making a strong intro/impression in the main book first then go, "Hey wanna know how they got here? Read the upcoming spinoff!"

I think Bad Guys may have soured my view.  It felt unnecessary (they could've easily worked it into the main book) and ruined the "reveal". The 2-3 story per arc method in the main issues didn't help either.

3 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

That is true but personally I enjoy the confidence that must go into such a decision. IDW's increasing stock of original characters continues to grow and most of them feel natural, well thought out, and I'm excited to see where their next stories take them. We're going to hit issue #50 soon, I'm excited by how far things will have progressed by the time we reach issue #100.

Yeah it's pretty cool that SEGA/IDW has a lot of trust in Ian.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

I kinda prefer the traditional method of making a strong intro/impression in the main book first then go, "Hey wanna know how they got here? Read the upcoming spinoff!"

I think Bad Guys may have soured my view.  It felt unnecessary (they could've easily worked it into the main book) and ruined the "reveal". The 2-3 story per arc method in the main issues didn't help either

I think a few things shuffle around the situation a bit.

It made narrative sense to kick the can on Whispers origin as it was both unnecessary to her character reveal and largely irrelevant to the current plot. Whisper herself, capable as she is, also doesn't stand out so much as that her sudden appearance would require immediate justification.

Surge and Kit are supposed to be on par, or at least a similar tier to Sonic and Tails capability wise. You can't just drop new characters of that kind of magnitude in the middle of a story with no explanation. Their power and purpose would feel immensely unearned. By leading off with their origin story, and the build up to it, we can adjust to them and when the times comes to spar with the heroes, it won't just be another "Wow she's just as fast as Sonic" situation. We'll understand what lead up to that point and won't feel like a fanfiction power trip for an OC.

• Thumbs Up 5

Anyway, Imposter Syndrome #2 is out. Personally, I think it was very good.

Spoiler

Perhaps doesn't quite hit as hard as some of the stuff from the first issue, but I think it is a very good move to keep the issue focused squarely on Starline, Surge, and Kit. Lots of good action. I think each character moves forward a little bit, we see more and more of how Surge and Kit think, and how motivated Starline is. Nice callback to the second annual. Kit is very, very protective of Surge and I am interested to see how that evolves, while Surge is the one willing to break the programming. I'm enjoying this, I think this mini-series is shaping up to be a very strong origin story for these 2 characters.

My interest and hype for issue #50 is slowly increasing.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/31/2021 at 4:32 PM, TransPirate said:

Evan also confirmed on tumblr that Belle is an equivalent of a 13 year old (that's between Amy and Silver for context) which is interesting cuz I read her as around Tails' age

I've come more to the realization that Belle is Evan's alter ego as a kid. This is just my speculation, I don't know Evan well so maybe I'm wrong but since her story in Trial by Fire is inspired by her real life experience as a kid, that gives it away a lot. And it's clear she cares about the character so I'm confident this is the case.

Belle is interesting as a concept and for plot, I agree, and not every kid is as brave as Tails or Cream, so it fits with the way she acts, she also endured a lot of pain in her story so... 

I didn't like the idea of her story being told in a single annual, but nor did I like her taking up most of Year 3 plot. Her arc apparently ends with #49 according to Evan.

On 12/30/2021 at 7:17 AM, Cuz said:

We're coming up on the big 50. What are some favorite moments, or storylines so far?

A lot.

Sonic vs Shadow debate for the fate of "Mr. Tinker", it was morally deep and interesting.

Neo Metal Sonic in Battle for Angel Island and that arc in general is a lot of fun. I don't like the design of the "final form" but I liked how the whole team handled it and not just Sonic and Knuckles. Every character was well handled.

Tangle and Whisper's relationship/dynamic.

The Metal Virus's tension and serious atmosphere, the climactic finale arc until #29, the remaining heroes vs Zeti was also awesome, the whole plan set up in #25 and I enjoyed the characters team ups, the Zeti should have teamed up with each other as well IMO, would have made for better character dynamics. I loved seeing Super Silver and Silver getting screentime most of all, also the Sonic & Metal team up.

As for Year 3... uhm... I'd say definitely Dr. Starline, Belle and Starline's encounter in Zeti Hunt finale, and Chao Races arc in general. It's too early to say Surge and Kit but I'm enjoying them so far.

8 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

I think Bad Guys may have soured my view.  It felt unnecessary (they could've easily worked it into the main book) and ruined the "reveal". The 2-3 story per arc method in the main issues didn't help either.

Yeah it's pretty cool that SEGA/IDW has a lot of trust in Ian.

I agree with you to be honest. People know nothing of Surge and Kit, why buy a miniseries about them? I think they should have been teased more in the main series first, then show what's going on behind the scenes with them, I just prefer this approach, but it's really strategically weird for IDW and bold, I'd say, for them to release a mini about characters not yet introduced, they must be really confident.

Imposter Syndrome #2 is fun, even if it's yet another 'protagonist punch badnik fodder" issue.

Overall my biggest concern is that whole story is so bloody similar to "Bad Guys". Starline slow methodical master plan, attacking Eggman while keeping under his radar, team ready to turn on him the moment they see though his lies. I like it more here because unlike "deadly 4", Surge & Kit are growing concept rather than short lived distraction. But never the less it feels a bit deja vu.

But art is good, characterization is fun. And it seems Flynn seeds some kind of twist we didn't seen coming. Or at least, I hope that's the case. I hope whatever Surge will learn will be also new information for us as well.

But how much dumb trivia we learned today!
- We know that events of "Eggman's Day Off" took place on ground, not Face Ship.
- Eggnet officially doesn't run games. It's separate Wi-fi, implying there is other "net" on Mobius.
- Based on Surge's torn clothing she most likely doesn't have 'tan circle' on her belly like Sonic has.
Good day for obsessive people.

8 hours ago, Razule said:

This 1 main series issue one month, and 1 Imposter Syndrome issue the next schedule is hell.

IMO we've gotten past the worst of it now that Trial By Fire is over. With that it was a decent filler story that felt like a slog to get through knowing that Imposter Syndrome was coming next. Now we're going to be getting stories that directly tie into Surge and Kit's miniseries but from a different perspective.

After reading the issue, I've got to say, I love the lineart for Imposter Syndrome. I wouldn't mind if the series went in this direction completely. It's so expressive and gives the characters a ton of personality.

9 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

With that it was a decent filler story that felt like a slog to get through.

Heh, I find the filler arcs are some of my favorites. Chao Races and this this wild fire were decent breaks from all the "here's months of build up and a final boss". Metal Sonic, and ultimately the virus saga kind of gave me my fill of traditinal action for awhile. Hoping Surge and Kit provide some interesting curve balls to the formula.

• Thumbs Up 6

I enjoyed the issue. Kit is kinda both scary and needs all the hugs. That one moment is what I was expecting eventually but not on a robot. In the concept drafts he has a creepy suffocation shot which still gets to me. We just got a shot of a mental breakdown, but I'm wondering how bad a full mental breakdown is gonna look like. Surge despite being a jerk seems to more or less have herself put together, but Kit is just a shivering mentally unstable bomb waiting to go off.

• Thumbs Up 4

They're both pretty mentally unstable it seems. They're definitely going to snap if and/or when they break away from Starline.

Overall, another good issue. It's a bit too similar to the last one what with being a warm up mission and all, but the focus was more on Kit than Surge this time, which helps him stand out more than being overshadowed by her.

I find myself simply wanting them to get this grand plan started and fight Sonic already lol. But patience is a virtue.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not gonna say Trial by Fire was a particularly great arc, it's yet another Belle story, but I did enjoy it more than Test Run and Zeti Hunt in the end. Because it's character focused, and filler yeah, it's kinda what the book needs after the Metal Virus big threat and stakes, I liked seeing the girls in action together even having fun at Chao races and camping because we got a lot of character moments and interactions, particularly I liked Amy & Jewel, Tangle & Belle, they also had plenty of development, Tangle and Belle especially.

Test Run was okay at first because of the mystery but it got stale fast, and Belle's story didn't progress much, it was slow and boring. Zeti Hunt was another "fight the bad guys" plot which bores me, again, I only liked Starline and Belle's encounter because of her backstory and it even furthered the plot with the creation of Surge and Kit.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am concerned with how Surge and Kit would be used if they do defect from Starline.

I would take them as better versions for Rough and Tumble.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Slashy said:

I am concerned with how Surge and Kit would be used if they do defect from Starline.

I would take them as better versions for Rough and Tumble.

Surge could really well take S(co)urge's role and Kit would provide new kind of interactions.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, SkyHorizon said:

Surge could really well take S(co)urge's role and Kit would provide new kind of interactions.

I never read Archie so I don't know how he was different from Shadow or Metal Sonic.

I do know that a lot of his appeal came from being an alternate universe take on Sonic, which Surge isn't. She is more of her own character.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Slashy said:

I never read Archie so I don't know how he was different from Shadow or Metal Sonic.

I do know that a lot of his appeal came from being an alternate universe take on Sonic, which Surge isn't. She is more of her own character.

Scourge's appeal was that he reveled in being an evil jerk. He represented Sonic's attitude and edge if he had used his powers for evil and self-gain. And unlike every other rival, Sonic couldn't surpass him because they were BOTH Sonic, an unstoppable force meeting another unstoppable force.

Surge is superficially similar to Scourge, but the more we see of her, the less she'll seem like a substitute for him

• Thumbs Up 8

44 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Both of them are prime examples of Sonic's worst traits multiplied, which made them attention seeking jerks who were defeated due to their own arrogance:

• Scourge who was tricked into powering down from his super form because Sonic said he couldn't beat him without going Super.
  • Surge who tried brute forcing her way through a problem only to get smashed

The only difference between them is that Scourge knew he was a evil knockoff and wanted to be something more and it looks like Surge, despite literally being made to "replace" Sonic, is going to try to do her own thing with Kit.

Also, the lightning powers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scourge is literally Sonic. Every other "Anti-Sonic" are artificially created and some of them only look like Sonic by sheer coincidence.

Scourge is the only one who is literally "Sonic but evil" and most of their dynamic is built on that. 

Its hard to say where Surge and Kit will end up, but I can't see them staying as just evil copies of Sonic and Tails. They're already starting to show independence and desires beyond simply beating their counterparts.

• Thumbs Up 2

"appeal of character x" is subjective, so I won't argue here. But difference between Scourge and Surge can be seen in their fighting styles.

Scourge tried to kick Metal Sonic in his crotch and when he fell on the ground he kept his crown from falling. He's a mean jerk and a vain egocentric. He is EVIL Sonic with focus on evil part. He leaned into nonchalant behavior, slight objective take on women.

Surge just smashes everything because she's bored otherwise. She is hyperactive, violent, impatient. She's less evil and more just extremely emotional, raging and enjoying smashing stuff. If Scourge is Sonic with "good" replaced with "evil", then Surge if more of caricature, Sonic traits pushed to extreme, until they overshadow the morality.

Between the two I think Scourge has more brain between ears (umm, below. Mobian biology), but last issue implies it might only look that way. Perhaps we (and Starline) are to underestimate her "Bakugo" demenor.

• Thumbs Up 3