Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

9 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Scourge is literally Sonic. Every other "Anti-Sonic" are artificially created and some of them only look like Sonic by sheer coincidence.

You forgot about Metal Sonic, who I still hope Surge does not end up remaining a retread of.

5 minutes ago, Slashy said:

You forgot about Metal Sonic, who I still hope Surge does not end up remaining a retread of.

Metal Sonic falls under that same category. He's an artificially created evil Sonic, he's just a deliberate example compared to the others.

I doubt Surge will end up like Metal Sonic tho. Metal Sonic went insane with beating Sonic, while Surge doesn't even really know why she wants to. I doubt she'll be in the same spot by the end of this arc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's wait until Issue 50. I'm betting... whatever you want that by that time it will be clear that Surge is IDWScourge.

...but I may be wrong, we'll see ;)

2 hours ago, SkyHorizon said:

Let's wait until Issue 50. I'm betting... whatever you want that by that time it will be clear that Surge is IDWScourge.

...but I may be wrong, we'll see ;)

Gonna follow up here after conversing with a buddy who has far more knowledge on Archie than I do.

I dont think Surge will turn out to conquer the world like Scourge did in his home world.

I dont think Surge will go to prison and have a breakout arc like Scourge did.

I dont think Surge will have her own band of villainous friends like Scourge did.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yea, Scourge was obsessed with proving he was better than his "good" counterpart. 

Surge mostly just wants to run wild without anyone or anything tying her down. Her grudge against Sonic is incidental mostly because she was programmed to hate him as opposed to there being anything personal between them.

5 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Yea, Scourge was obsessed with proving he was better than his "good" counterpart. 

Surge mostly just wants to run wild without anyone or anything tying her down. Her grudge against Sonic is incidental mostly because she was programmed to hate him as opposed to there being anything personal between them.

That's what I thought it would be which is why I suggested they serve better as replacements to Rough and Tumble.

I think the moment Surge actually meets Sonic is going to be fascinating. I think you'll be able to hear a pin drop when she finally meets him in person. Find it interesting how Kit hasn't shown any interest in his counterpart, wonder what that meeting will be like.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Slashy said:

That's what I thought it would be which is why I suggested they serve better as replacements to Rough and Tumble.

Rough and Tumble serve more as punching bags, much like another Archie characters, Drago Wolf did.

They’re not meant to put up a challenge like Surge and Kit, so probably best to keep them as that than replacing them.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

I think the moment Surge actually meets Sonic is going to be fascinating. I think you'll be able to hear a pin drop when she finally meets him in person. Find it interesting how Kit hasn't shown any interest in his counterpart, wonder what that meeting will be like.

Precisely that. People tend to think that having the same dynamics means doing precisely the same things. Surge doesn't need to "conquer a world" to be IDWScourge, that much seemed pretty obvious to me...

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Rough and Tumble serve more as punching bags, much like another Archie characters, Drago Wolf did.

They’re not meant to put up a challenge like Surge and Kit, so probably best to keep them as that than replacing them.

Yeah, but I see Surge and Kit being mischievous hedonists who cause mayhem for fun. That's why I see them as replacements to Rough and Tumble who sort of served that role before, but I imagine Surge and Kit to be more independent.

Well if....they remain as villains, and always lose to Sonic, it'd be kind of hard to take them seriously as threats after a while unless you kept them out of the limelight.

Soooo, either they become Team Rocket esc troublemakers who the Heroes don't treat all that seriously but they still have to stop. Or they become antiheroic good guys.

But this is all premature, we're kind of jumping the gun on where they end up when their debut arc isn't even finished.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Well if....they remain as villains, and always lose to Sonic, it'd be kind of hard to take them seriously as threats after a while unless you kept them out of the limelight.

Soooo, either they become Team Rocket esc troublemakers who the Heroes don't treat all that seriously but they still have to stop.

That's exactly where I want them to end up. They don't have grand plans and just seem like they will become chaotic hedonists, so making them funny threats that regularly need to have their schemes get stopped seems fine to me.
I would just imagine them to be able to put up more of a fight and have more interesting designs and personalities than Rough and Tumble/Team Rocket, but still be recurring villains who regularly show up.

I see otherwise them repeating the same few plot points dragged out like with Whisper and Mimic.

Something tells me it won't go this easy route.

Notice that Kit said about Surge that "She's a hero". I might jump to conclusion, but from what little we know about Starline's plan, I think those two don't see themselves as villains.

• Thumbs Up 3

24 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I think those two don't see themselves as villains.

Most villains don't have that kind of self awareness.

I REALLY hope Surge and Kit don't become good guys. We've already seen it with other characters and it only adds to the problem of the heroes vastly outnumbering the villains.

• Nice Smile 2

Just now, CertifiedNobody said:

Most villains don't have that kind of self awareness.

I REALLY hope Surge and Kit don't become good guys. We've already seen it with other characters and it only adds to the problem of the heroes vastly outnumbering the villains.

You're missing the point.

Eggman, Zavok, Metal, Infinite, Starline, Scourge, Finitevus, Mimic, Mephiles, Eclipse. They might not see themself as "villains" but NONE of them pretends they "heroes".

But Kit and Surge? I think those two will walk the line between anti-hero and anti-villain. Or do criminal acts but still see themselves as heroes somehow.

• Thumbs Up 4

So two things:

1. With the way things seem to be going, what do you think Issue 50 onward is actually going to be like?

2. Am I the only one who doesn't want Surge and Kit to just ditch Starline?

On 1/12/2022 at 6:34 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

- Based on Surge's torn clothing she most likely doesn't have 'tan circle' on her belly like Sonic has.
Good day for obsessive people.

Makes sense--its been shown before that Amy lacks it as well.

22 hours ago, Slashy said:

Why would they need to be replaced?

22 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

Find it interesting how Kit hasn't shown any interest in his counterpart, wonder what that meeting will be like.

Think that's probably because Starline ultimately doesn't want to do quite the same thing with Tails.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Exactly my thoughts on the matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just trying to see who could the main antagonist of this arc starting in issue 50 based on what we know. 

From least likely to most likely

4. A new clone based on someone else like Knuckles or Shadow

It's possible if they are going for Androids 17 and 18 and then Cell, but I really doubt it, unless it's a very big surprise, Starline only had 2 capsules.

Besides, Kit and Starline's designs are already based on Blue Knuckles and the Star glitch from Chaotix, so I guess that rules it out.

3. Dr. Starline

It seems there is a "battle for the Empire" or this is what the arc is called, but that would be Eggman vs Starline and not include Sonic directly. Dr. Starline has a plan but it seems it's already not working well...

2. It's a complicated situation and there is no big bad

This is quite likely because I see that Surge and Kit are more of a case of identity crisis and being given the role of imposters by Starline. Maybe Starline manipulates Surge and Kit again even after they expose what he did to them, Surge and Kit are the heroes main foes but also pawns of Starline, Eggman also factors into the equation.

1. Surge and Kit

It might be more simple than what I am looking at. Surge and Kit seem really redeemable but that might take a while, Surge is very egocentrical like Sonic, twisted and a bully, she messes up Kit really bad too, she seems wicked in general. Kit on the other hand is fragile but can explode when he is pushed to his mental limits. They are both villain material but also redemption material, but going by the comic flow, it likes to take its time with its characters and that is a good thing, I am enjoying how we have few originals rather than a bunch of new characters introduced after another and used not-so-well.

I can see it being Surge & Kit plus the "complicated situation". If Surge and Kit betray Starline to do their own wicked thing solo, I would say it's a good idea, it might be too soon maybe, if that happens, what of Starline? He has the tricore but nothing else, okay he's gained control of some bases and badniks but that's it.

I'm thinking there is another twist and Starline re-gains control of Surge and Kit after they find out their origin. It's early now, they are planting the seeds for their betrayal because how of Eggman's plans turn against him, so that will happen to Starline as well eventually, Surge and Kit will be free.

As for the creation of Surge, people are speculating there is another twist and she has Shadow's DNA, I doubt it, I know we haven't seen the DNA used and when exactly Starline took it, but she is based on Sonic clearly, so... it would make things more of a mess if anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I share your feelings 😁

• Thumbs Up 1

Keeping Surge and Kit under Starline's thumb feels like its only delaying the inevitable. We've already seen cracks in the armor and from its inception has been an masterclass in futility. Starline over-reached as you can't control those kinds of character traits long term. I don't see the benefit of dragging that out.

That being said, I could see a flip-flop occurring, where Surge and Kit take Starline "hostage" to try and use him to advance whatever agenda they decide to continue along. It would be a humble gut-punch for the doctor and provide an excuse to push him to the sidelines following his run driving the plot of the lat 10-15 issues.

I keep thinking of that one bumblekast of Ian talking about his ideal female villain (where he pretended Surge wasn't already planned) and one thing he said was she should be irredeemable and stay as a bad guy. So I'm guessing Surge will go that route.

• Thumbs Up 4

18 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Exactly my thoughts on the matter.

55 minutes ago, SkyHorizon said:

I share your feelings 😁

Ah, concurrence! Nice to hear.

13 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

I'm just trying to see who could the main antagonist of this arc starting in issue 50 based on what we know. 

From least likely to most likely

4. A new clone based on someone else like Knuckles or Shadow

It's possible if they are going for Androids 17 and 18 and then Cell, but I really doubt it, unless it's a very big surprise, Starline only had 2 capsules.

Besides, Kit and Starline's designs are already based on Blue Knuckles and the Star glitch from Chaotix, so I guess that rules it out.

3. Dr. Starline

It seems there is a "battle for the Empire" or this is what the arc is called, but that would be Eggman vs Starline and not include Sonic directly. Dr. Starline has a plan but it seems it's already not working well...

2. It's a complicated situation and there is no big bad

This is quite likely because I see that Surge and Kit are more of a case of identity crisis and being given the role of imposters by Starline. Maybe Starline manipulates Surge and Kit again even after they expose what he did to them, Surge and Kit are the heroes main foes but also pawns of Starline, Eggman also factors into the equation.

1. Surge and Kit

It might be more simple than what I am looking at. Surge and Kit seem really redeemable but that might take a while, Surge is very egocentrical like Sonic, twisted and a bully, she messes up Kit really bad too, she seems wicked in general. Kit on the other hand is fragile but can explode when he is pushed to his mental limits. They are both villain material but also redemption material, but going by the comic flow, it likes to take its time with its characters and that is a good thing, I am enjoying how we have few originals rather than a bunch of new characters introduced after another and used not-so-well.

I can see it being Surge & Kit plus the "complicated situation". If Surge and Kit betray Starline to do their own wicked thing solo, I would say it's a good idea, it might be too soon maybe, if that happens, what of Starline? He has the tricore but nothing else, okay he's gained control of some bases and badniks but that's it.

I'm thinking there is another twist and Starline re-gains control of Surge and Kit after they find out their origin. It's early now, they are planting the seeds for their betrayal because how of Eggman's plans turn against him, so that will happen to Starline as well eventually, Surge and Kit will be free.

As for the creation of Surge, people are speculating there is another twist and she has Shadow's DNA, I doubt it, I know we haven't seen the DNA used and when exactly Starline took it, but she is based on Sonic clearly, so... it would make things more of a mess if anything.

I think it's clear the main antagonist is a mixture of the Glitch Trio, Eggman, and any conflicting motives among them. What I was referring to is how in the world is things gonna ramp up from here. 

Wr know what Starline wants to do going forward, but the scales are tipped in favor of him not succeeding. So that begs the question of how he will react to it and how the other characters will retaliate in kind.

6 hours ago, Slashy said:

Wasn't it confirmed that Sonic is fighting Surge in issue 50?

I think? It's been a while, but these pairs have got to link up at some point.

45 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Keeping Surge and Kit under Starline's thumb feels like its only delaying the inevitable. We've already seen cracks in the armor and from its inception has been an masterclass in futility. Starline over-reached as you can't control those kinds of character traits long term. I don't see the benefit of dragging that out.

That being said, I could see a flip-flop occurring, where Surge and Kit take Starline "hostage" to try and use him to advance whatever agenda they decide to continue along. It would be a humble gut-punch for the doctor and provide an excuse to push him to the sidelines following his run driving the plot of the lat 10-15 issues.

That could be neat.

3 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

I keep thinking of that one bumblekast of Ian talking about his ideal female villain (where he pretended Surge wasn't already planned) and one thing he said was she should be irredeemable and stay as a bad guy. So I'm guessing Surge will go that route.

Oh, definitely. She's too naturally violent to just turn good and Kit is said to not be so precious.

• Thumbs Up 1

Starline, Kit, and Surge were made to be a trio, so I'm surprised how fast the plot seems to be moving towards separating them. Maybe he either reprograms them or they decide to be a team willingly.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd honestly prefer they stay with Starline, mainly so he has his own group to interact with; the problem is that If/when Surge and Kit find out how he's been treating them, it'd be kind of hard to justify why they'd ever stay with him willingly. 

So either Starline gets them under control and forces their obedience, or Surge and Kit find out about what he's been doing to them but decide to stay with him anyway cuz....I dunno, because they don't have a purpose otherwise I guess. 

• Thumbs Up 2