Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

This is the worst part about comic book format. By the time Imposter Syndrome 3 comes out we'll consider twenty different scenarios, cross analyze them, rank, dissect, rebuild and vivisect. And then issue will come out I'll be like "yeah, seen this coming".

That's the main reason why I was generally not okay with how the comet seems to be setting them up to defect from him by the end of this: we just got them in the book and they were designed with being a trio in mind to begin with. Tell them just up and strike out so soon feels like a waste of all the build up it took to get them in.

That and honestly? I can't really see them working out as an independent villain duo. In addition to simply lacking any of the deeper thought or strategy that Starline has and Kit not having much initiative at all that might reign them in enough, they also run into the Shadow problem and that they are too powerful for the setting to be allowed to just run free. 

Like what's stopping them from just running down each of Sonic's friends and definitely because Surge is simultaneously too fast to outrun, too powerful to overcome, and too stubborn to convince to turn her attention somewhere else very easily.

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

That's the main reason why I was generally not okay with how the comet seems to be setting them up to defect from him by the end of this: we just got them in the book and they were designed with being a trio in mind to begin with. Tell them just up and strike out so soon feels like a waste of all the build up it took to get them in.

That and honestly? I can't really see them working out as an independent villain duo. In addition to simply lacking any of the deeper thought or strategy that Starline has and Kit not having much initiative at all that might reign them in enough, they also run into the Shadow problem and that they are too powerful for the setting to be allowed to just run free. 

Like what's stopping them from just running down each of Sonic's friends and definitely because Surge is simultaneously too fast to outrun, too powerful to overcome, and too stubborn to convince to turn her attention somewhere else very easily.

I mean, isn't that kind of the point? They're wild cards, you don't know where their allegiances will be and that makes them unpredictable. 

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I discussed how they can just become crazy hedonists with their insane powers. Going around doing whatever they want and threatening everyone who dares to try to stop them.

This comes at the cost of them undergoing villain decay as not only are their motives going to far less grand, but they will also become far less scary as they continue to be beaten. It can work and I find it fun to imagine what hijinks they will get up to, but it will probably annoy most people here if they turn out to be just regular villains our heroes have to contend with.

There's not a single Sonic rival who doesn't suffer from some form of threat decay after they've fought Sonic, so I'm not really expecting Surge and Kit to be major threats. But staying under Starline at least gives them some direction as characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Kuzu said:

There's not a single Sonic rival who doesn't suffer from some form of threat decay after they've fought Sonic, so I'm not really expecting Surge and Kit to be major threats. But staying under Starline at least gives them some direction as characters.

I do agree they are better under Starline. I am saying that if they defect they undergo massive villain decay and either they become one note like Mimic or you lean in and embrace the decay to make them something different.

Would it really be decay if you lean in and create something different out of it?

44 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Would it really be decay if you lean in and create something different out of it?

Well their original purpose were to be rivals to Sonic & Tails. You can definitely move them in another direction, but that's still a sticking point. 

That said, given the existence of Metal Sonic and Shadow, I highly doubt Surge is going to usurp their roles; they've been established as Sonic's main rivals for too long now for a new character to just be introduced and take that over. And I say that as someone who loves Surge and wouldn't mind her doing that...if only to give some breathing room for Metal and Shadow. 

23 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Them going from serious rivals to Sonic and Tails to regular threats of the day is an example of villain decay and I can see them going through that.

Either I’m more focused on the negative connotations of that term or folks are really misusing the “decay” part for what could very well be described as “character development” instead.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Either I’m more focused on the negative connotations of that term or folks are really misusing the “decay” part for what could very well be described as “character development” instead.

I'd say its the former; at its base meaning, Villain decay is simply a villain who loses their threat level over time. 

1 hour ago, Slashy said:

Them going from serious rivals to Sonic and Tails to regular threats of the day is an example of villain decay and I can see them going through that.

Nah, won't happen, don't worry 😉 

1 hour ago, SkyHorizon said:

Nah, won't happen, don't worry 😉 

I prefer it would happen then constantly having Surge wanting to best Sonic.

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I'd say its the former; at its base meaning, Villain decay is simply a villain who loses their threat level over time. 

Okay, that’s a fair and better way of cementing it.

Usually when I hear “Villain Decay” it’s always a bad thing somehow.

I refuse to talk about villain decay of character who just got introduced. We can't process things this fast.

People loved them before they were introduced, now think they'll decay after 2 issues. What will they be in a year? Fossils?

• Thumbs Up 7

4 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I refuse to talk about villain decay of character who just got introduced. We can't process things this fast.

People loved them before they were introduced, now think they'll decay after 2 issues. What will they be in a year? Fossils?

Maybe we're so used to a comic with over two decades of continuity that we can't help but wonder where the characters will be several years from now?

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Maybe we're so used to a comic with over two decades of continuity that we can't help but wonder where the characters will be several years from now?

Then it's unfair to compare comic exclusive to game villains like Eggman or Metal.

The closest thing we have to compare is Scourge. Did he decayed between 160 and his SU arc?

• Thumbs Up 4

Old comic villains were kind of hindered by the fact that Eggman was around. Mogul straight up said "fuck it" when he realized he had no way of beating Sonic.

But yea, it's a bit too early to be speculating on this stuff. Let's just wait and see where things go.

• Thumbs Up 6

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

The closest thing we have to compare is Scourge. Did he decayed between 160 and his SU arc?

Precisely my point. There are a lot of ways to keep Surge (and Kit) interesting despite not besting Sonic. Scourge is proof of that.

6 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

We have a interesting RI cover for 49

FJoMaUaX0AYMZaE?format=jpg&name=small

Definitely shaping up to be a multi-issue spread. Maybe it was confirmed already and I missed it, but that's the impression I'm getting from it.

BTW, have you heard about IDW loosing license for Transformers and G. I. Joe? And My Little Pony  comic ended last October, who knows if next gen will be as successful or even get one.

I wondering  if that's good or bad news for us. I mean, poor IDW, but does that mean that Sonic (or TMNT) might get more spin-offs, as their best selling tittles? With Sonic 2 coming up, this is probably the best moment to try getting 2nd book.

16 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

We have a interesting RI cover for 49

FJoMaUaX0AYMZaE?format=jpg&name=small

I would've said something about the Master Emerald (the ominous green glow) there, but I can definitely see an eclipse reflected in a couple of the robots. Maybe both.