Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Evan Stanley released this new artwork.

Spoiler

Not sure if this is for a future issue or it's just a drawing, but it's interesting that Sonic is trying to protect Tails. I do wonder if this means that they will be fighting Surge and Kit soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

A 2 page preview for #48

Hide contents

FLVZgAcWUAcSIou?format=jpg&name=mediumFLVZgNXXEAUyrUi?format=jpg&name=medium

Spoiler

LOL!  Charmy is too precious!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

A 2 page preview for #48

Hide contents

Words cannot describe my joy at seeing Owl Guy and Purple Bird again.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/11/2022 at 10:04 PM, Sonictrainer said:

A 2 page preview for #48

Hide contents

Makes you wonder how Charmy got banned. Must've been good to get banned for life.

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, bingboomer said:

the old guy nearly got out of the last panel shrieking to the chaotix as he was holding it. 

I was trying to figure out what he reminded me of--the first thing I landed on was the old monkey form Sonic Boom, but then I realized he looks more like the  crazy old Sonic character from OKKO.

8 hours ago, Razule said:

Ah, thought I recognized the old guy from somewhere but couldn't figure it out.

Sounds like the "Crazy Carl" guy from the Sonic movie. All that's missing is the Sanic sketch. 

10 hours ago, TransPirate said:

Tumblr_l_51423678601064.gif.442980ae49eb8574b68544280aa3626a.gifCrinkly Wrinkly from OK K.O., one of the several characters on the show who have a mobian design

Yeah, that's the one!

8 hours ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Sounds like the "Crazy Carl" guy from the Sonic movie. All that's missing is the Sanic sketch. 

Which almost makes me wonder if there's another crocodile character we don't know about.

On 2/10/2022 at 3:24 AM, Sonictrainer said:

FLM2GycX0AMilbj?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Is it just me, or does the spiraling around Surge and Kit make it look like an old game disc? Like you'd see for PS2 or something? Just me?

48 feels like most of its purpose is to advertise future stories. The worst kind of filler.

That said the Chaotix were a lot of fun and I am glad to see Clutch being cool and I am glad we will see him again.

The worst kind of filler IMO usually leads nowhere. I agree this is filler because it doesn't set up the current story of Surge and Kit but at least it's not a Sonic Boom episode where they go to a puppy con.

I was happy with it. Nice little diversion from the current ongoing stuff. I forgot Clutch was a thing so him getting to outsmart Espio and show some drive was nice, again IDW really building up its rogues gallery. Nice to see more Chaotix, some nice cameos from the radio duo, Rough and Tumble being fun. Makes me more and more curious what is going to happen after issue #50.

This definitely felt like a filler issue, but:

1) It was one issue as opposed to being stretched out across 3-4 issues like Trial by Fire was. Much more tolerable as a result.

2) Sets up future stories with who I guess will be our Team Hooligan 2.0

Just those two things alone make me appreciate this more than I would have normally. Might be a low bar to clear, but one major issue I've had with the comics is their need to stretch content as much as possible to keep readers hooked monthly. I get it because that's just how American comics work but it makes it no less annoying. Its not as egregious though if the issue is a one-shot.

• Thumbs Up 3

i liked vector doing a rhyme battle with the skunk bros. it was both funny and cool untill charmy ruined it. and the skunk bros are two of my fave villains in the sonic idw universe. And charmy has a cool point too trying to battle. im past caring about clutch though. but good chapter anyway. 

#48 is small filler story, no argument here. To be fair Rough and Tumble are all about filler and Chaotix only do small stories.

Anyway. It's fun. Every Chaotix gets cool little moment and Clutch is a liiiitle better than last time.

Also, artwork by Hammerstrom, from fantastic 2020 Annual story about Metal Sonic. It's not as good, but there are some really cool shoots in this issue. Dude has potential and I'm hoping he'll become recurring.

My only complain is Vector Rapping moment.  I like it. But I want MORE of it. Remove the page where Vector breaks the floor, I want more croc's sick rhymes.

Haven’t read #48 yet, but all the talks of filler and Trial By Fire kind of makes me wish Imposter Syndrome was just implemented into the main series instead of being it’s own miniseries. Stretching things out and placing in filler so close to a monumental milestone like #50 is a extremely weird and kind of bad decision.

Taking another example, IDW TMNT for its #50th issue raised the stakes massively by having a series of arcs building to Shredder consolidating control of the city, and a huge invasion that risked to endanger everyone that ended with Bebop and Rocksteady smashing Donnie’s shell with a hammer and leaving him for dead, placing the TMNT right at their darkest moment prior to the final showdown in #50.

Similarly, #100 was another big lead up like this, but done considerably better, with IDW’s attempt at City at War happening right before, followed by the cimulation of the myth arc that was being built up for 50 issues, if not more, which led into a huge event that shook the foundations of the comic to its core. That’s on top of having a miniseries called Shredder in Hell running alongside it that tied into things, and effectively felt important without taking importance away from the main series.

This method of doing things is just bizarre. The key buildup to #50 is happening in Imposter Syndrome while the main series drags it’s heels with filler stories that aren’t very high stakes for something as critical as a milestone, especially compared to #25 where we were knee deep in the Metal Virus arc. Maybe ironic coming from someone who wanted some breathers in the comic, but there’s a time and place for it, and literally a few issues before #50 ain’t it. 

At this point, I just can’t wait to be past #50. Between the lopsided pacing of Year 3’s arcs, and Starline’s continued overusage, I just can’t wait to move onto a new arc altogether. It feels weird, honestly, it’s like the feeling I got with Metal Virus, but with a ton of random disjointed arcs as opposed to one big arc that’s been lasting too long for it’s own good. Probably doesn’t help that the Starline plot basically intruded on most of the Year 3 arcs and dragged them down as a result by forcing the plots to fight with the overarching narrative. Ironically, Trial by Fire is the only one that felt like doing so fit, and it’s just because Surge and Kit was just used as an inciting incident and nothing else.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

The worst kind of filler IMO usually leads nowhere. I agree this is filler because it doesn't set up the current story of Surge and Kit but at least it's not a Sonic Boom episode where they go to a puppy con.

Nah I prefer that. Something like that can be a fun story on its own and I want more of that.

This just feels like an ad for future stories and very likely isn't even doing enough that you even have to read it to understand what is going on in those future stories.

I think Surge and Kit are great additions, but I feel like the battle with the two might be seen as underwhelming because the comic spent nearly 10 issues hyping it up.

Filler or not, I think the worst kind of stories is something Penders did with KtE book: stories that are just don't work on their own, but make you believe all of this is building up towards something amazing... and then that something never really happens. Like everything about Tobor and Moritori Rex.

Basically "it's about journey, not destination" flipped on it's head, and then destination non existent of just disappointing. That's the worse kind of stories.

#48 certainly felt more like an appetizer of what a Chaotix mini could be like - the little character moments were nice and I'm very glad we got this after their disappointing involvement in Zeti Hunt, but having to cram it into 20 pages became very noticeable at the end, with the villain's monologue and the sudden ending leaving not much of a resolution for the trio.

It might have fit better after the milestone storyline, where it would have more time to breathe and feel less disconnected to the build-up of the impostors. Even if the Chaotix had learned about Kit and Surge, there wouldn't have been much point since Sonic might already know from Belle.

Interested to see where Clutch's threat of "coming out of retirement" will go though, especially since he was such a pushover in his first appearance. Comparisons to the Hooligans seem inevitable right now.