Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Wait so it was Ian who postponed their intro?

Well, the IDW creative team as a whole. They determined that adding the two to everything else going on in the arc was just too much.

Actually now that I think about it, yes, the "minion duo" for Starline was gonna appear since his introduction in issue 11, so very early in the comic, I heard about that, they were saved for much later but I am not sure what SEGA changed about their story.

Could they have been the ones carrying the initial Metal Virus containers that infected Sonic, and not Rough and Tumble?

According to Ian, Starline, surge and kit were all going to debut together at the beginning of the Metal Virus arc. This was back when initially Starline was going to be a mechanic. The other two got pushed backed due to arc bloat and also because of the whole glitch motif. After that, Ian mentioned that Sega turned down the original pitch for Surge and Kit's origin and came up with their own for the duo which he figured he could work with. Ian then mentioned that someone pointed it out to him that it's the android saga and He realized, yeah it's the android saga.

So according to Ian,

1. Starline, Surge and Kit were always going to be a trio, but the latter two were pushed back due to story bloat + glitch repetition
  2. Sega came up with Surge and Kit's current origins
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

You know, with the exception of Shadow, I'm generally on board with Sega's restrictions for this comic. For the most part they've improved the stories and, in a few cases, have canonized non-game ideas like Vector being into Vanilla.

• Thumbs Up 5

They are keeping some characters out of comic, that isn't great. Although to be fair, we could use 2nd book before adding more people.

Question, if we could get 1 'banned' character, who would you pick? Sally? Sticks? Someone else?

29 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Question, if we could get 1 'banned' character, who would you pick? Sally? Sticks? Someone else?

Personally, if Sally got to come back, I think she has to come back with the Freedom Fighters. Kindof a package deal to me. So I'd probably choose Sticks, at least for who I could think of. I think Sticks would be fairly easy to integrate into the IDW cast. She's the kindof person who spends most of her time alone, living in her cave or whatever, so she only needs to be in a story when it calls for it. Feel like you could have some fun mixing her conspiracy theories with the recent metal virus and how she reacts to that.

Only other person I can think of is Mina, who I think is owned by someone else right now currently? She's a fun character, I think you could bring her into the IDW fold of her already being a big pop singer who gets mixed up with Sonic and/or the Restoration, perhaps wants to do good with her speed powers. A bit like her story arc in Archie, just alot better.

I wonder if SEGA's changed their view on Sticks since the "Boom initiative" ended. She used to appear alongside the main series characters in Sonic Channel comics or the Olympics, but she hasn't been seen since the show ended, right?

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I miss Sally the most but I wouldn't really want her by herself. Doesn't seem right.

I guess if I had to choose it'd be Honey.

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I miss Sally the most but I wouldn't really want her by herself. Doesn't seem right.

I guess if I had to choose it'd be Honey.

THIS

I need Team Milk (Honey, Big, & Blaze) to be a reality.

...btw, are Surge & Kit a bad matchup for the Deadly 6, since they have metal skeletons?

They are keeping some characters out of comic, that isn't great. Although to be fair, we could use 2nd book before adding more people.

Mephiles or Infinite. The hero to villain ratio in massively unbalanced, and either of them would help balance things out and give Team Dark more to do. I'd also like to see Infinite get the same treatment as IDW Zavok.

Really, I think the villains in general need to be buffed. Team Clutch is pretty much a joke, Surge and Kit are a little too sympathetic at the moment, the D6 are out of the picture for presumably a few years, and most badniks are hardly a threat to the main cast. meanwhile on the other side, we have 5 different hero teams and The Restoration. Maybe GUN too if we see the human part of the world at some pojnt.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Banned" means "forbidden from doing something". In this case appearing. So to me it's perfectly adequate word. But if you disagree then I rrrreally don't care. It's just semantics.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Banned" means "forbidden from doing something". In this case appearing. So to me it's perfectly adequate word. But if you disagree then I rrrreally don't care. It's just semantics.

Sure.

Sticks isn't banned.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

Only other person I can think of is Mina, who I think is owned by someone else right now currently? She's a fun character, I think you could bring her into the IDW fold of her already being a big pop singer who gets mixed up with Sonic and/or the Restoration, perhaps wants to do good with her speed powers. A bit like her story arc in Archie, just alot better.

Yes, I believe Karl Bollers owns her. And to be honest, as much as I would love to see any form of the old Sonic Archieverse return, I am sure there is a 99.9% chance she will not be coming to the comic series. IDW will likely introduce a new character similar to her to get around that if they decide to do so.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sticks really isn't banned. Hell, even the AoStH and SatAM characters aren't even banned to my knowledge. For examples of banned characters, you want Eggman Nega, Cream and Omega, who were banned from Archie for years until Ian eventually got permission for the latter two (and had to be incredibly vague about the former), or IIRC - Infinite here, to which SEGA point blank told him that Infinite was dead and couldn't appear.

The other characters haven't been slapped with a definitive no, which is why Ian keeps pushing to include them in whatever way he can. IIRC, he's shown concepts for reintroducing the FFs or Sticks, but he's given more of a 'not right now' than a definite "No, never happening, stop asking us". 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • My Emmerdoods 1

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

THIS

...btw, are Surge & Kit a bad matchup for the Deadly 6, since they have metal skeletons?

Pretty sure kit and surge don't need to worry about the Deadly Six. They're built with metal but they're not actually robots and Gemerl showed what controls the robots is their electromagnetic frequencies which I'm pretty sure Surge and Kit don't run on

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, fluffers said:

Pretty sure kit and surge don't need to worry about the Deadly Six. They're built with metal but they're not actually robots and Gemerl showed what controls the robots is their electromagnetic frequencies which I'm pretty sure Surge and Kit don't run on

Ehh not entirely.

The electromagnetic frequencies are just the most efficient way for the Zeti to do their thing. It allows them to issue commands and orders to groups of bots, which could then in turn use their own AI to act on those commands. We saw that in action in Lost World when they coup'd Eggman's badnik Horde and in the Archie comics when they took over all the MegaMan Heroes in one fell swoop. Same with the Zombots. They just became slave units to the Zeti's whims.

But that battle between Zeena and Gemerl also showed that if the need arises Zeti can "get their hands dirty" and take direct control over a singular robotic unit. After Gemerl damaged his receptors Zeena was still able to control him manually simply by assuming direct control over his arms and legs. She could not control his mind or issue him commands due to the lack of electro-frequencies, but she could still crudely control his body. Forcing him to attack Cream repeatedly.

So if Kit and Surge have a decent amount of tech inside them, then the question isn't if the Zeti can control them; because they can. The real question would be if their strength of will is strong enough to, if even for a moment, shake off Zeti control long enough to strike a decisive blow. Kinda like how Zero and Gemerl both were able too.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Razule said:

I wonder if SEGA's changed their view on Sticks since the "Boom initiative" ended. She used to appear alongside the main series characters in Sonic Channel comics or the Olympics, but she hasn't been seen since the show ended, right?

I feel like it simply boils down to Sticks being part of the Boom line. The Boom line is dead, so Sticks dies along with it. I don't think it is much different to say like characters exclusive to Sonic X, except back then there wasn't stuff like Olympic games or mobile games they could be put into. The only chance of Sticks getting to live on is through people like Ian Flynn pushing for her return in the comics so they can perhaps gain some kind of longevity. That's my theory anyway.

Wouldn't surprise me if this happens with Sonic Prime. New exclusive character to that TV show, they'd be a shoe-in for the mobile games, maybe an Olympics spot if we get another Olympics game.

8 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Surely Rouge should be part of Team Milk? 😛

8 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Mephiles or Infinite. The hero to villain ratio in massively unbalanced, and either of them would help balance things out and give Team Dark more to do. I'd also like to see Infinite get the same treatment as IDW Zavok.

I think Infinite has potential to work, especially if you let Ian Flynn write him. I'd hate for that character to die with Forces.

5 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Yes, I believe Karl Bollers owns her. And to be honest, as much as I would love to see any form of the old Sonic Archieverse return, I am sure there is a 99.9% chance she will not be coming to the comic series. IDW will likely introduce a new character similar to her to get around that if they decide to do so.

Guess that is always a possibility really. I will keep dreaming of one big awesome Sonic united universe however.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Ehh not entirely.

The electromagnetic frequencies are just the most efficient way for the Zeti to do their thing. It allows them to issue commands and orders to groups of bots, which could then in turn use their own AI to act on those commands. We saw that in action in Lost World when they coup'd Eggman's badnik Horde and in the Archie comics when they took over all the MegaMan Heroes in one fell swoop. Same with the Zombots. They just became slave units to the Zeti's whims.

But that battle between Zeena and Gemerl also showed that if the need arises Zeti can "get their hands dirty" and take direct control over a singular robotic unit. After Gemerl damaged his receptors Zeena was still able to control him manually simply by assuming direct control over his arms and legs. She could not control his mind or issue him commands due to the lack of electro-frequencies, but she could still crudely control his body. Forcing him to attack Cream repeatedly.

So if Kit and Surge have a decent amount of tech inside them, then the question isn't if the Zeti can control them; because they can. The real question would be if their strength of will is strong enough to, if even for a moment, shake off Zeti control long enough to strike a decisive blow. Kinda like how Zero and Gemerl both were able too.

Counter point is that in that same fight, Gemerl used those same bounds that Zeena used to completely entangle her suggesting it's more like a tether than just free control of the body. And given that Surge is fast and Kit's got hydrokinesis I don't think it'd be in any of the Six's best interest to be tied to either.

10 hours ago, fluffers said:

Counter point is that in that same fight, Gemerl used those same bounds that Zeena used to completely entangle her suggesting it's more like a tether than just free control of the body. And given that Surge is fast and Kit's got hydrokinesis I don't think it'd be in any of the Six's best interest to be tied to either.

That's was only after Zeena had been using him like a marionette for some time though. He was able momentarily break free and turn the situation around, but that was only after quite a bit of stressing and assaults on Cream. Its no different then when he was able to smash his wireless receiver earlier. His strength of will eventually allowed him to do just enough to overcome the control for a split second, so a decisive blow could be struck.

It may not be perfect control, but its not something that can be ignored. Gemerl wasn't able to overcome it for some time and had the added benefit of being part of a 2 v 1 fight to further divide Zeena's attention. Also she was able to enslave him multiple times.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

That's was only after Zeena had been using him like a marionette for some time though. He was able momentarily break free and turn the situation around, but that was only after quite a bit of stressing and assaults on Cream. Its no different then when he was able to smash his wireless receiver earlier. His strength of will eventually allowed him to do just enough to overcome the control for a split second, so a decisive blow could be struck.

It may not be perfect control, but its not something that can be ignored. Gemerl wasn't able to overcome it for some time and had the added benefit of being part of a 2 v 1 fight to further divide Zeena's attention. Also she was able to enslave him multiple times.

Well I guess it depends on if they have control of robotics or just metal in general. And if they can even tell the difference outright. Cause its not like they go about magnetoing everything