Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Yeah, despite the delays and some minor issues, I'm actually feeling very hyped for issue #50. I like Surge and Kit, I enjoy the continuing misadventures of Dr Starline, and I just like all these characters. I'm having alot of fun.

Just Cover D by Jonathan Grey and Cover RI-B by Tyson Hesse to be unveiled for issue #50. I know the business of "variant covers" is a bit crappy and sucks for the physical collectors, but at least they are giving us some really fantastic covers out of it.

3 hours ago, SanPolo4389 said:

And here's the obligatory all heroes cover. 

That cover looks fantastic!

That is sweet cover, but Evan know logo will be there, right? She's not new to to this job. Chaotix and Omega won't survive the translation.

I'm not complaining, if anything I applause the passion. But if I was cover artist I would put the logo and stuff first and then draw around it so my hard work won't go to waste.

You know why I preferred T&W and Bad Guys equally over Imposter Syndrome?

They told a (complete, maybe) story, Tangle and Whisper bond and have character development, Starline rallies a team of villains and grows into an independent villain. This has Surge and Kit, who are interesting characters, but it's just slow set up, I would have had more story in this miniseries frankly. It's true these issues are meant to be parallel to the main series leading up to 50 though, it's something different this time I suppose.

That cover is awesome btw.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/12/2022 at 12:45 AM, Red Hot Jack said:

You know why I preferred T&W and Bad Guys equally over Imposter Syndrome?

They told a (complete, maybe) story, Tangle and Whisper bond and have character development, Starline rallies a team of villains and grows into an independent villain. This has Surge and Kit, who are interesting characters, but it's just slow set up, I would have had more story in this miniseries frankly. It's true these issues are meant to be parallel to the main series leading up to 50 though, it's something different this time I suppose.

That cover is awesome btw.

It should not be a miniseries. It is more relevant to the overall plot than the main comic.

Just read Issue 4. I will say I enjoyed it. The art was hit or miss at times but felt overall a decent way to end it. Noting to exciting but just ok. We see in photos for issue 51 tails carrying Kit away with them. Reading issue 4 at the end we see Kit either nervous or not sure about fighting tails. I think tails is going to try and talk him down and ask him why he is doing what he is doing. BUT what I would like to see since Ian has said he wants to keep them as villains is Kit pretend to go along with Tails and fake turning on Surge with them only to be taken back to base and him go into his Red eyed crazy mode on everyone. I feel Kit can be even more evil than Surge but he is being held back or hiding it. I seem to recall Ian saying there was more to him than we have seen so far.

Dear IDW,

Don't ever do this again.

unknown.jpeg

I'm usually pretty chill about stuff getting covered by the logo but this actually kind of pissed me off. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Dear IDW,

unknown.jpeg

I'm usually pretty chill about stuff getting covered by the logo but this actually kind of pissed me off. 

Damn, sorry for your loss, man

On 5/12/2022 at 8:51 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

That is sweet cover, but Evan know logo will be there, right? She's not new to to this job. Chaotix and Omega won't survive the translation.

Called it

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Dear IDW,

unknown.jpeg

What are you talk-ooooooohhhh

i understand why anyone would not be pleased because the chaotix got blocked by the logo. they are important aswell so really, they shouldn't of been blocked. 

I'm fairy certain this wasn't on purpose, so its fine to see it as a happy accident and get a good chuckle about it.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I'm fairy certain this wasn't on purpose, so its fine to see it as a happy accident and get a good chuckle about it.

I guess it did just save me an extra couple of bucks too. I've got less covers to worry about getting now. Plus the original image is my phone's lock screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really like Evan's cover. It just seems like a less interesting version of the Issue 30 cover.

IDW30CoverA.webp

At least the Chaotix made it on the cover atall. Poor Gemerel could only get his forehead in on the bottom left corner.

It's a simple cover but I like. I like all the #50 covers actually, feels like a flex showing off how many great artists they have contributing to the series.

41 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

At least the Chaotix made it on the cover atall. Poor Gemerel could only get his forehead in on the bottom left corner.

It's a simple cover but I like. I like all the #50 covers actually, feels like a flex showing off how many great artists they have contributing to the series.

In the retail version there's officially more of Gemeral on the cover then them as a result of the logo. 

Being a Chaotix fan sucks by the way. 0 out of 10. Would not recommend.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Chaotix are perpetual underdogs. We love them because of how under-appreciated they are.

• Thumbs Up 1

"You either stay a Popular Underdog, or you live long enough to see yourself badly written by Sega" or how that quote went.

You know, according to Google Trends, Sonic was never as popular as he is now (keep in mind Google Trends started in 2004). I'm really surprised that Sonic 2 made so much better than Sonic 1 movie. Do you think now we have a chance for 2nd book or it's just a short lived fad?

We have a cool #50 Cover by Tyson Heese

Spoiler

FTAhddcVEAAUz4g?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Here's the full animation

• Thumbs Up 6

I know this is a bit anal, but I'm trying to make up a list of IDW issues to see what the total number of issues IDW has made in comparison to other Sonic comic series. Basically, any issue that has new content in it, its not just a reprint of an old story or a recap or compilation. Mostly using the wiki to make this list.

Issues With Unique Content:

Main Book:

Sonic the Hedgehog: 49 issues (so far, 3 to be released)

Mini Series:

Tangle & Whisper: 4 issues

Bad Guys: 4 issues

Imposter Syndrome: 4 issues

Total: 12 issues

One Shots:

2019 Annual

2020 Annual

2022 Annual (to be released)

2021 Free Comic Book Day

2022 Free Comic Book Day

Team Sonic Racing

Team Sonic Racing Plus Deluxe Turbo Championship Edition (reprint, adding new story "That time I got to write a Sonic comic")

30th Anniversary Special

30th Anniversary Special Hardcover (adds bonus material and new story, I think?)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: The Official Movie Pre-Quill

Total: 7/9 issues (depending if you count TSR and 30th reprints as being their own seperate issues)

Grand Total: 68/70 issues (so far)

Issues Without Unique Content (Barring Cover Artwork):

Issues #1-#4 Boxset

Volume Compilations: 10 (so far, 2 to be released)

The IDW Collection: 2 (so far)

Tangle & Whisper Compilation

Bad Guys Compilation

2019 Halloween Comicfest (reprint of issue #1)

Tangle & Whisper #0 (recap of issues #1-#12, preview of Tangle & Whisper #1)

Sonic & Tails: Best Buds Forever: (reprint of issues #1, #13, #34, & #35)

Sonic the Hedgehog (free cinema giveaway tie-in for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (reprint of issue #1 and "Jet Set Tornado" from 2019 Annual))

Cancelled: Tangle & Whisper Issues #1-#4 Boxset