Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Bowser and Eggman are the main villains of their respective franchise, they fundamentally serve a different purpose than any other villain present. Its most Mario RPG villains die in the end, because they're expendable and contained only within the narrative of the game they were introduced in. 

Its why Starline is currently dead; as Flynn put it, he had served his purpose and written out. Every other villain is not Eggman, they have a much shorter shelf-life because they are not designed to be the primary and recurrent threat to the main characters. 

Mimic can last a lot longer because his story is not tied to Sonic's whatsoever, same with Clutch. Surge and Kit's goals are tied to directly into wanting to beat two of our main characters, ignoring how that's already stepping on Metal Sonic's toes in the case of the former, it's a goal that will obviously never happen and much smaller scaled compared to whatever Eggman comes up with. 

That's what I mean by how they have shorter shelf lives. And all of this is merely conjecture, this hasn't happened yet and I'm still enjoying them. I'm just talking about hypothetically in the future

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

True, but there's only so much sympathy you can have before the audience gets tired of it. You either run the risk of losing that sympathy and therefore just becoming a straight up villain or you become good...ish.

Dare I say this is sort of the problem the video games delved too much into compared to the comics?

Shadow - did evil stuff turned goodguy(ish, methods are questionable)

Silver - nativity getting the better of him. Did "evil" to the heroes, but only because of him being misguided.

Mephiles - straight evil, but with a goal in mind. Irredeemable acts, but was created when the flame got experimented on and split into two.

The Erazor Djinn - Evil, because of his fate being written for him and sets out to twist the stories that were written to his own ends.

Merlina - Evil, literally opens the gates to the underworld and causing oppression of the townspeople. All in an effort to freeze the state of the kingdom so the kingdom she loved will never fall/ end. 

All these characters did evil/ villainous things, but with understandable motives. Their history or personal reasons make them do the horrible things they did.

In comparison the comics don't linger too much on a badguy having a past. Makes for clear and easy comic book writing. Bad guy does bad things. Good guy stops bad guy, Rough 'n Tumble come to mind. Do that too much though and it's less of a story your reading and more of an art showcase.

I think in a sense drama could spice a story up quite well. And I feel the situation Surge and Kit find themselves in does make for entertaining writing.

One thing about Surge bothers me though, she's suppose to be speed of light(ning) right? Is she purposely holding back that speed or is Sonic's speed of sound just really faster than just sound?

1 hour ago, Duelistic Nature said:

One thing about Surge bothers me though, she's supposed to be the speed of light(ning) right? Is she purposely holding back that speed or is Sonic's speed of sound just really faster than just sound?

They are both "fast" with no clear numbers attached, "speed of sound/light" is just a fancy title. I mean, if we treat titles seriously, then Sonic is the "fastest thing alive", so the competition's over.

• Thumbs Up 4

22 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

They are both "fast" with no clear numbers attached, "speed of sound/light" is just a fancy title. I mean, if we treat titles seriously, then Sonic is the "fastest thing alive", so the competition's over.

I mean sure, boastful titles are part of the fun, but I'd prefer there be credence to the name. Both being fast is fine, but when one mentions they move at the speed of light and knowing Sonic as being the fastest thing alive, but never outright faster than light I expect him to be on the back foot a bit longer rather than "tussling" like he's on equal ground. We're not even talking super sonic here, we're talking regular Sonic.

11 minutes ago, Duelistic Nature said:

I mean sure, boastful titles are part of the fun, but I'd prefer there be credence to the name. Both being fast is fine, but when one mentions they move at the speed of light and knowing Sonic as being the fastest thing alive, but never outright faster than light I expect him to be on the back foot a bit longer rather than "tussling" like he's on equal ground. We're not even talking super sonic here, we're talking regular Sonic.

Man, she said "speed of light" because she use lighting, duh!

Technically speaking electricity (which is lightning) is slower than actual light. So that might have been a boast by her, nothing more. Still lightning is a hell of a lot quicker than sound.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Duelistic Nature said:

Technically speaking electricity (which is lightning) is slower than actual light. So that might have been a boast by her, nothing more. Still lightning is a hell of a lot quicker than sound.

Uhm... no. The speed of electricity depend on the conductor.

And of course it's not the same as the speed of light, it's just a boast: you're uselessly taking this way too deep.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Duelistic Nature said:

We're not even talking super sonic here, we're talking regular Sonic.

Its been stated in a lot of different places, that the origin of that Speed of Sound title come from his usual cruising speed, not his top end output. In the Comic, Tangle refers to him as someone who does Mach 1 for funsies. When push comes to shove, Sonic can and has pushed his speed to much, much higher levels.

Even in IDW alone, he's done a handful of things that massively eclipse the 765 number. Your not dancing on missiles, dodging bullets, laser fire and lightning or Crossing the continent faster than a Jet plane just by jogging at the speed of sound.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 1

22 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Its been stated in a lot of different places, that the origin of that Speed of Sound title come from his usual cruising speed, not his top end output. In the Comic, Tangle refers to him as someone who does Mach 1 for funsies. When push comes to shove, Sonic can and has pushed his speed to much, much higher levels.

Even in IDW alone, he's done a handful of things that massively eclipse the 765 number. Your not dancing on missiles, dodging bullets, laser fire and lightning or Crossing the continent faster than a Jet plane just by jogging at the speed of sound.

Didn't take that into account yet, thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by Duelistic Nature

This was the mural at Comic Con this year.

FYc-jDyX0Acfw7G?format=jpg&name=large

We also have 2 points turnarounds of Mecha Knuckles (from Scrapnik Island) and a new character.

FYcynLoWQAEcoSf?format=jpg&name=large

It seems he also found a Fighting Glove & Shovel Claw.

Spoiler

FYcy9heXwAEppjR?format=jpg&name=large

This is E-117 Sigma.

Finally, we have this illustration by Deegeemin

FYdjaufUUAEdO8k?format=jpg&name=4096x409

The past, present, and future of IDW Sonic

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

This was the mural at Comic Con this year.

FYc-jDyX0Acfw7G?format=jpg&name=large

We also have 2 points turnarounds of Mecha Knuckles (from Scrapnik Island) and a new character.

FYcynLoWQAEcoSf?format=jpg&name=large

It seems he also found a Fighting Glove & Shovel Claw.

Reveal hidden contents

FYcy9heXwAEppjR?format=jpg&name=large

This is E-117 Sigma.

Finally, we have this illustration by Deegeemin

FYdjaufUUAEdO8k?format=jpg&name=4096x409

That's a pretty cool mural!  By the way, was this the first time that IDW Sonic appeared at SDCC?

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic using current slang is nothing new. "Yeah! That was tight!" absolutely dates Sonic Heroes to the early 2000s. "Big oof" dates this story to the early 2020s. (And this isn't even getting into all the totally mondo radical 90s slang he used in the old cartoons)

I don't love it, but it's nothing unprecedented with this character.

• Thumbs Up 9

Since when does "big oof" or "epic" count as slang, let alone outdated one? Are we this jaded?

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Since when does "big oof" or "epic" count as slang, let alone outdated one? Are we this jaded?

I wasn't aware "epic" was dated yet, but I guess I haven't seen anyone say that in a while.. is this what getting old feels like? Slang I used as a kid disappearing and becoming "dated" overnight? 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, SanPolo4389 said:

I meant moreso saying that at Starline biting the dust as if he didn’t care about him dying. 

It does feel a little weird. This is even more baffling thinking about it from an in-story perspective, because Sonic isn't privy to all the horrible things that the reader knows Starline did.

Like, he knows he's a bad guy, but he did most of his villainy from the shadows and covered his tracks pretty well. He probably knows some of it from things like Belle telling him off-screen what happened to her, but the real atrocities he committed are known to a very select few characters. In Sonic's mind, he's been "the guy who brought Eggman back", which... yeah, was catastrophic, but this still feels kind of a strange response coming from Sonic the Hedgehog. I can imagine him being more flippant about it if he knew more about the full extent of Starline's evil.

(also yeah, "epic" used in that sense is highly dated, and "big oof" is either well on the way out or dead already. welcome to the inexorable march of time. i am so tired sorry)

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow do I not care about that big oof line.

Starlike brought Eggman back, damming the world with his Metal Virus, almost killed him and Silver in a explosion, tried to kidnap Tails, DID kidnap Belle, and is responsible for the current fiasco they find themselves in, and this is only the stuff Sonic directly knows about.

As far as he’s concerned, he reaped what he sow’d, a death by Eggman’s retribution is exactly what he deserved in the end, he ain’t shedding tears.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

As far as he’s concerned, he reaped what he sow’d, a death by Eggman’s retribution is exactly what he deserved in the end, he ain’t shedding tears.

And to be fair, Eggman didn't even kill him. He just beat him up and left him there.

Starline just had a total mental breakdown and didn't bother escaping as the city collapsed around him.

• Thumbs Up 4

He may as well have killed him himself. 

It is kind of weird though; like ok, last issue we had Sonic preaching his morals about giving everyone a chance to live their life but then he's completely nonchalant about his death? Not saying its completely inconsistent, but it feels a little weird is all. I'm not gonna knock Flynn for it cuz trying to maintain continuity with a character of 30+ years is difficult, but yea. 

I'll admit though, its funny as fuck tho lol. 

Shadow: "This is where I watched Maria die, Sonic" 

Sonic: "Big oof" 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

He wants everyone to have a chance, but isn't too bothered when guys like Starline screw around and find out.

Surge was clearly a victim of some kind, but none of Sonic's experiences with Starline suggested he was anything but an asshole. If Eggman kicked it, Sonic would probably have more to say because of how much history they have, but he barely knew the platypus. He was some guy who showed up, made everything worse by existing, and then died.

• Thumbs Up 7

18 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

He may as well have killed him himself. 

It is kind of weird though; like ok, last issue we had Sonic preaching his morals about giving everyone a chance to live their life but then he's completely nonchalant about his death? Not saying its completely inconsistent, but it feels a little weird is all. I'm not gonna knock Flynn for it cuz trying to maintain continuity with a character of 30+ years is difficult, but yea. 

I'll admit though, its funny as fuck tho lol. 

Shadow: "This is where I watched Maria die, Sonic" 

Sonic: "Big oof" 

Yeah, that's pretty much all I'm saying. It just feels a little awkward.

It's especially funny because Flynn said in yesterday's Bumblekast that Sonic would be sad if Eggman were killed. Seeing this panel the very next day feels like a bit of tonal whiplash.

Granted, he barely knows Starline, so that may factor in too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe it would've helped if we saw his expression while he said it. He could be smirking, or frowning meaningfully for all we know

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I'm not sure what about that 1st phrase feels natural...to say for a young man like Sonic.

But ya know, it's not exactly old or rare...like most internet slang, people love saying it at every opportunity until it becomes uncool to say it.

Simply saying "oof" in reference to something "unfortunate" happening...is pretty natural.

• Thumbs Up 1