Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I've got a question that I doubt anyone will no the exact answer to. Besides the characters created in the pre-reboot of Archie comics, is there anything else that this new comic could potentially be unable to use? If I understand correctly, the Game characters, SatAM characters, Reboot characters, and AOSTH characters are A-OK. Probably Boom too.

But what of Sonic Underground, Sonic X, the Sonic OVA, Fleetway, or the other lesser known oddities like that french Sonic comic or the manga with the kid that turns into Sonic? Is any of that owned by people other than Sega? I think I heard that OVA wasnt fully owned by Sega, but not quite sure.

The only reason I bring this up is because I feel like it might be kind of interesting to see a new continuity that pulled a little bit from more than just SatAM and the games, taking new takes on the characters. Sort of like what they're doing with the newer Ninja Turtles cartoon.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, one thing I'd like to point out for those who are cheering up on the erasure of the FF's and Eggman's sub-bosses.

After reading some fair comments and one top-notch quality shitpost, I think you guys should remember that, if SEGA's orders keep the same as the ones we know from the reboot, there will be new-born OC's that will stole this precious screen time from SEGA characters. Simply because those were not allowed to develop, so eventually after some issues the usage of SEGA cast will not be enough to build an arc. Unless my prediction of the comic having the anti-continuity formula happens, but that's beside the point.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anything off-limits before will be off-limits now, even though some of them are fine to use legally. As we've been discussing, it's the SatAM/AoStH/Archie comic cast/scrapped game characters that are in question as to whether they'll be mandated out or not. 

• Thumbs Up 6

7 minutes ago, pocket said:

I've got a question that I doubt anyone will no the exact answer to. Besides the characters created in the pre-reboot of Archie comics, is there anything else that this new comic could potentially be unable to use? If I understand correctly, the Game characters, SatAM characters, Reboot characters, and AOSTH characters are A-OK. Probably Boom too.

But what of Sonic Underground, Sonic X, the Sonic OVA, Fleetway, or the other lesser known oddities like that french Sonic comic or the manga with the kid that turns into Sonic? Is any of that owned by people other than Sega? I think I heard that OVA wasnt fully owned by Sega, but not quite sure.

The only reason I bring this up is because I feel like it might be kind of interesting to see a new continuity that pulled a little bit from more than just SatAM and the games, taking new takes on the characters. Sort of like what they're doing with the newer Ninja Turtles cartoon.

All except Fleetway are owned by Sega, but they're pretty much in the Sega trash bin for theyre never to be used by orders of Sega. Fleetway is kinda in the same boat as pre-Gen Archie chars; they are not owned by any branch of Sega.

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Anything off-limits before will be off-limits now, even though some of them are fine to use legally. As we've been discussing, it's the SatAM/AoStH/Archie comic cast/scrapped game characters that are in question as to whether they'll be mandated out or not. 

14 minutes ago, antyep said:

All except Fleetway are owned by Sega, but they're pretty much in the Sega trash bin for theyre never to be used by orders of Sega. Fleetway is kinda in the same boat as pre-Gen Archie chars; they are not owned by any branch of Sega.

Pretty much these.  SEGA more or less (sadly) wants to ignore most past incarnations.  And though we hope they still allow AOSTH, SATAM & Older game chars like they did for Archie we won't know for sure untill IDW gives us more info.

As for Fleetway they are sadly stuck in a weird limbo it seems. 

Of course if SEGA wanted they could buy the Fleetway characters.  But given they don't care about most of the characters they do own I sadly don't see that happening.  Though again it would be awesome to see Tekno & Shortfuse in a comic again someday if they were ever made avalible again.

The only thing I desperately do want to see make a comeback is the whole idea behind the Egg bosses concept. They don't even really need to be the same ones but Eggman's Dozen was so goddamn cool in part because of it's treatment of that villain group. The fastest way to my heart is to have scenes showcasing villains talking to each other and getting a chance to grow and develop as a unit. I'm a huge sucker for that shit.

They'll probably need a new name though...

Ciphol Pol Number 12.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/21/2017 at 4:58 PM, JC_Mike said:

Well Ian said that polite tweets and emails might help get him on board and continue the continuity that Archie left behind.

Here's there contact page if anybody is intrigued (I would think the people to talk to would be media inquires, though you could always just send them a letter):

http://www.idwpublishing.com/contact/

Well I did my part. Asked for Flynn, keeping the SatAM characters, and also that I'd like to see the Archie runs collected into trades. Though the response was just an automated reply saying they were at Comic Con for the week, so I hope it's not immediately deleted.

• Thumbs Up 5

11 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The only thing I desperately do want to see make a comeback is the whole idea behind the Egg bosses concept. They don't even really need to be the same ones but Eggman's Dozen was so goddamn cool in part because of it's treatment of that villain group. The fastest way to my heart is to have scenes showcasing villains talking to each other and getting a chance to grow and develop as a unit. I'm a huge sucker for that shit.

They'll probably need a new name though...

Ciphol Pol Number 12.

One Piece references.

• Thumbs Up 3

More directly here's the e-mail for the editorial at IDW.

letters@idwpublishing.com

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Eggman is Cream's dad.

Before he left, her name would have been "Cream Egg" from the town of Cadbury.

Now THAT is a classic!

Anyway, regarding the comic itself, I agree that it will likely go in a new direction via clean slate, as I imagine SEGA will be more harsh than before regarding certain mandates. But then again, we have Mania and Forces coming out soon, so maybe that will be the new jumping off point for the comics unless something new that is Sonic-related is promoted prior to the book's release.

• Thumbs Up 1

IDW put the press release up on their site. 

http://www.idwpublishing.com/129322-2/

And remember if you wanna see Ian, Tracy, Evan, Tyson, Jen, etc on the book.  Or help the Freedom Fighters & old game characters stay in the book just send em an email at letters@idwpublishing.com

• Thumbs Up 2

What would drive me nuts is that Sonic Mania's Hard Boiled Heavies could potentially be viable as new stand-ins, but I'm worried that Sonic Team would have any number of reasons not to use them, including "they're from the Classic universe" or "they were destroyed" or just not even allowing them to talk or something. In other words, just being difficult.

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

What would drive me nuts is that Sonic Mania's Hard Boiled Heavies could potentially be viable as new stand-ins, but I'm worried that Sonic Team would have any number of reasons not to use them, including "they're from the Classic universe" or "they were destroyed" or just not even allowing them to talk or something. In other words, just being difficult.

Yeah, apparently SEGA isn't just turned off by characters from other continuities, but from their own games, too.

No more Chip.

No more Mephiles (though it seems they're trying to replace that hole).

No more Nack.

No more Black Doom.

No more Mighty and Ray.

Hell, probably no more Maria or Gerald Robotnik.

Who's to say the same won't happen to Infinite and the Hard-Boiled Heavies?

In an effort to streamline their franchise, SEGA is making all the older things else irrelevant for whatever reason. But this is slightly off-topic, so bleh. But it does, however, make the return of the Egg Bosses, FFs, etc etc all the more unlikely.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Polkadi said:

Yeah, apparently SEGA isn't just turned off by characters from other continuities, but from their own games, too.

No more Chip.

No more Mephiles (though it seems they're trying to replace that hole).

No more Nack.

No more Black Doom.

No more Mighty and Ray.

Hell, probably no more Maria or Gerald Robotnik.

In an effort to streamline their franchise, SEGA is making all the older things else irrelevant for whatever reason. But this is slightly off-topic, so bleh. But it does, however, make the return of the Egg Bosses, FFs, etc etc all the more unlikely.

The game characters that were excluded are excluded due to being dead (Gerald, Maria, Black Doom, etc. (maybe they could be used in flashback stories or adaptations of where they did appear?)), not being created by Sonic Team (Mighty, Ray, etc. would fall under the same restrictions as past media characters. I think Tiara, the Chronicles characters, and maybe even Lumina and Void might be in the same absolutely no Zone as pre-reboot Archie and Fleetway characters), or SEGA doesn't know what to do with them (Eggman Nega). 

The ones I'm actually curious about are Gemerl, Captain Whisker, Johnny, and the Ifrit. 

(Also, would the Sonic book characters (Arctur, Digger, Whiffy, Zonik, Eric, et al.) fall into the "absolutely not" zone with preboot and Fleetway? Where would the SegaSonic Bros. go?)

EDIT: And even then, I'd doubt they'd be able to, even without mandates, make the HBH likable characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Heavies may have a chance compared to most villains in this series for a few reasons, one being that they're robots and can be rebuilt. See also: Metal being allowed to appear as much as the Archie creative teams wanted, even tho' SEGA barely used him in main series games until recently (and even then there's only a couple games to go on and they're both special case anniversary games).

That said, I'm (cautiously) optimistic we'll see the scrapped SEGA characters such as Mighty, Ray, and Nack. It does seem like SEGA have warmed up to at least referencing them in games, which is more than you can say about characters from alternate continuities.

• Thumbs Up 9

I haven't seen this on the forum yet, so I might as well post this here. I'm sure you guys will appreciate it:

2af.thumb.jpg.11a0ed73df65704bb1e0da7fe4d253c5.jpg

Not sure if its real or not but I still thought it was funny.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Polkadi said:

~No more Chip.

~No more Mephiles (though it seems they're trying to replace that hole).

~No more Nack.

~No more Black Doom.

~No more Mighty and Ray.

~Hell, probably no more Maria or Gerald Robotnik.

So lets just have 290 issues of Sonic vs. Eggman in Green Hill Zone.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hard Boiled Heavies have a vastly decreased chance -if- the comic is modern-only. If they have a separate classic one, then I see odds being good for them...provided Mania doesn't kill them off.  

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Hard Boiled Heavies have a vastly decreased chance -if- the comic is modern-only. If they have a separate classic one, then I see odds being good for them...provided Mania doesn't kill them off.  

It would seem unlikely as they are relatively new characters.

13 hours ago, Korke said:

, there will be new-born OC's that will stole this precious screen time from SEGA characters. Simply because those were not 

Let me ask you something... cast you rmind back to issue 1 of Archie and Fleetway first came out..

All of these questions apply to Sega Sonic.

Did Eggman have an assistant: no.

Does he have one now: Orbot & Qubot.

Did Sonic have lots of friends? No. Only Tails then Amt came along... Then Knuckles a few years later.

Was there a large villains gallery? Just Eggman + Badniks.

Now? Lots.

Did Sonics friends have defined roles? No.

Do they now? Yup. They got jobs/roles.

... ... So why do they need to make a large ensemble when Sega Sonics own character roster does that. It's not the early 90s cast anymore.

There'll probably be a necessity for some if they plan to go in the direction of having character development and stuff, since there's a mandate against it for the active game cast. 

If they don't that's less of a problem. Either way, they can just fill the gaps with Avatars theoretically. 

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

There'll probably be a necessity for some if they plan to go in the direction of having character development and stuff, since there's a mandate against it for the active game cast. 

If they don't that's less of a problem. Either way, they can just fill the gaps with Avatars theoretically. 

There will likely be one or two.

But why would we need more than that when so many characters already exist?

Because SEGA doesn't care to make Sonic anything more then the male equivlant of Hello Kitty a mascot with no character or development that gets by on brand recognition alone so you need good supporting characters to make a comic work.

Anywho apperantly Sonic was'nt the only game license IDW picked up.  They got Gears of War as well.  Never played a game in that series, but yay for its fans I guess?

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't see why it's such a big deal to have such a big cast characters made for world building and such.

It worked for Post reboot Archie didn't it? Honestly, why can't it work for IDW?

And, I'm getting really annoyed with SEGA at this point, their character handling is a mess.

I get and understand that Sonic is their property and deserve a say in a completely different publisher using their main licensed characters but why bother getting stingy about characters they don't even use anymore, they couldn't care about the FF, scrapped game cast, etc getting in because they have no plans for them appearing in the main series.

Now, I know this same argument can be applied to characters from Underground, X, etc but frankly nobody would give a shit if someone like Chris or Sonia were ditched for good.

You'd wonder why Ian fought for Aosth and Satam elements in the first place.

Although, it is kinda confusing why OVA wasn't fought for since it's pretty popular by a majority and if I'm honest, I have seen many here fond of Fleetway.

• Thumbs Up 1