Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I'm sure Mighty, Ray, and the Hooligans will return.

However Bean NEEDS his archie Daffy/Deadpool Personality intact.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Absolutely 1

On 3/14/2018 at 5:02 PM, Marco9966 said:

What are elements you want and  don't want to see in the comic?

What I don’t want to see is over the top Classic era pandering. The classic side already has an update to Mania and animated shorts.

Sure there’s the Sonic Racing game that will most likely have my favorite characters in it and be a break from the Classic fest. But it wouldn’t be surprising if they opted out of the story mode. A key aspect that got me involved with the first 2 Sonic Riders games (didn’t have an Xbox 360 so I couldn’t play Free Riders even if I wanted to).

I just want a break from the “member classic era high” and have something that has the same energy and effort that got me into Sonic in the first place without it being compromised by genesis era pandering.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

What I don’t want to see is over the top Classic era pandering. The classic side already has an update to Mania and animated shorts.

Sure there’s the Sonic Racing game that will most likely have my favorite characters in it and be a break from the Classic fest. But it wouldn’t be surprising if they opted out of the story mode. A key aspect that got me involved with the 2 Sonic Riders games (didn’t have an Xbox 360 so I couldn’t play it even if I wanted to).

I just want a break from the “member classic era high” and have something that has the same energy and effort that got me into Sonic in the first place without it being compromised by genesis era pandering.

Yeah! I loved how the first 2 Riders game had this "Sonic Adventure" feel in the story, even if it's a racing game, it had an interesting mythology.

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

However Bean NEEDS his archie Daffy/Deadpool Personality intact.

It was partially based on his animations from Fighters anyway, so I don't see why that would change.

• Nice Smile 2

15 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I'm pretty sure Mighty & Ray will be back. I just wonder about their personalities. WIll Flynn has to change them? Will Mania give them new personalities? I guess time will tell.

The thing with characters is that, generally, it's up to the writers' interpretations of them. Their personalities are less of an Archie thing and more of an Ian thing. Plus the above mentioned the Hooligans appeared how they were in Mania, so I'm pretty sure they won't get changed.

• Nice Smile 2

Honestly (And I know I'll get lynched by certain parts of the fandom for this) just keep going the way Post-Reboot Archie was. It was a good mix of Game Elements and original ideas and honestly while yes the Unleashed storyline went on a bit too long I still think it was more tightly written and was more consistently good than the Pre-Reboot stuff.

Just keep that style of storytelling (Which must have worked because I've seen more Post-Reboot fanart than Pre) and I think it'll be pretty good. And I get killed in 3...2...1.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Absolutely 1

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly (And I know I'll get lynched by certain parts of the fandom for this) just keep going the way Post-Reboot Archie was. It was a good mix of Game Elements and original ideas and honestly while yes the Unleashed storyline went on a bit too long I still think it was more tightly written and was more consistently good than the Pre-Reboot stuff.

Just keep that style of storytelling (Which must have worked because I've seen more Post-Reboot fanart than Pre) and I think it'll be pretty good. And I get killed in 3...2...1.

No I agree, post-reboot was great, it felt like a continuation of the games that actually had good stories and characters interactions (and chao everywhere! and game easter eggs!)

----------------------

In 3 days we have issue 6 solicit!

• Thumbs Up 2

I love Ian's writing but one common criticism I do agree with is that the endings can sometimes be rushed, so I'd like to see that improved on. Actually that's one reason I don't mind going for a more episodic approach with two+ parters only when necessary. The "four issue arcs" format was...odd, tho' I understand the reasoning behind it (trades).

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I love Ian's writing but one common criticism I do agree with is that the endings can sometimes be rushed, so I'd like to see that improved on. Actually that's one reason I don't mind going for a more episodic approach with two+ parters only when necessary. The "four issue arcs" format was...odd, tho' I understand the reasoning behind it (trades).

This is especially with the likes of WU and SWC.

I'm now convinced that since SEGA wants to keep classic and modern separate, classic characters like Mighty, Ray, Bean, Bark, Nack and the Hard Boiled Heavies will only be in a possible classic comic.

• My Emmerdoods 1

9 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

I'm now convinced that since SEGA wants to keep classic and modern separate, classic characters like Mighty, Ray, Bean, Bark, Nack and the Hard Boiled Heavies will only be in a possible classic comic.

It's possible tbh

• My Emmerdoods 1

I wish Sega would not even think about that!

If that's the case then it's really stupid to remove them just because their only game appearance was with black eyes.

Why do they assume Modern fans like us who grew on the adventure games wouldnt like to see the classic charatcers appear in modern games or comics? Why divide the fans? What do they gain from dividing us?

What a shame to remove them, and Sonic The Fighters came only 2 years before SA1, what a shame.

Why strip the comic of such potential? I'm awaiting THE Sonic comic that includes all the game characters.

We want modern Bean and Bark and Fang and all the others like in post-SGW!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I wish Sega would not even think about that!

If that's the case then it's really stupid to remove them just because their only game appearance was with black eyes.

Why do they assume Modern fans like us who grew on the adventure games wouldnt like to see the classic charatcers appear in modern games or comics? Why divide the fans? What do they gain from dividing us?

What a shame to remove them, and Sonic The Fighters came only 2 years before SA1, what a shame.

Why strip the comic of such potential? I'm awaiting THE Sonic comic that includes all the game characters.

We want modern Bean and Bark and Fang and all the others like in post-SGW!

You're kind of preaching to the choir.  SEGA appears to be more interested in getting new fans that pleasing longtime and die-hard fanboys and fangirls like ourselves.

• Nice Smile 1

I just got a notification on twitter. Looks like people will can get an exclusive Sonic #1 at WonderCon this Saturday.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I just got a notification on twitter. Looks like people will can get an exclusive Sonic #1 at WonderCon this Saturday.

We want pictures! (just sneak peaks, no full pages or spoilers)

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

We want pictures! (just sneak peaks, no full pages or spoilers)

I'm so conflicted... I wanted to buy it on day 1 digitally without reading any spoilers, but this is so tempting...

Ian Flynn goes more into Two Worlds here:

Q: Can we at least have Humans and “Mobians” on both worlds maybe find some way to infer that they are two closely connected worlds? I really enjoyed the one inclusive world we had post reboot, and I hate to see the idea get ripped apart because of canon

A: There was some “fluff”, we’ll say, over confirming that the two-worlds thing from the games will be the canon of the comics. I think folks are paying too much attention to the nitty-gritty because the two-worlds thing has been around since Sonic Adventure; we just didn’t know it. It wasn’t confirmed until that one Q&A session, what, 5 years ago or so, and everyone was like “What?” That is why Sonic X had two worlds, because it was based off the Sonic canon. Really it hasn’t undermined any of the game stories at this point. The story of Tikal and Chaos, really doesn’t matter where it is. It is a strong enough story on on its own right. Shadow, and his whole deal, it doesn’t matter that it happens in the Human world. His story is fairly stand alone. Ya, it raises some big questions. I’m not denying that. It also isn’t the brick through the window kind of distraction, that I think a lot of people think its going to be. So, I mean, obviously Sonic and his friends can cross over between the worlds no problem in the games. If we get around to messing with that at all in the comic, we’ll probably gonna follow suit, but again, the book isn’t out yet. The first year has been plotted, that’s not a lot. Just relax, let the stories come. Even if I have a bullet point list of all the super nerdy things I wanted to cover, there’s no way to do that in a single year. So let the comic be. Its not really going to affect year one,  probably won’t even effect year two.  That’s how its been, that’s how it has been for the past, oh shoot, since ‘ 99, how many years is that? Almost 20 years. It’s not a big deal it’ll be fine, trust me, I know what I”m doing I’ve been doing this a bit, trust me. Trust me.  …Pre-reboot, post-reboot, IDW, Sonic X, and Sonic Boom continuities, and game continuities considering SEGA exclusive online thing.  I’ve played with 6 different flavors of Sonic; I think I can manage.

https://sonicsourceblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/19/flynn-clarifies-the-two-world-issue-in-bumblekast-65/

So it has been a thing this whole time and we just never knew it..

I feel like the massive questions that are never addressed of do undermine the stories?

• Nice Smile 1

6 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I think that's exactly what's going to happen

I think that's why you make a statment like " classic sonic is from another universe " so you can have multiple brands

5 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Because a lot of modern fans don't. And vice versa, there are a lot of modern fans who have grown a bit tired of classic sonic showing up in not his games and want those things kept seperate and don't like that modern games were trying to appeal to that audience

There are a bunch of classic fans who don't want anything to do with anything Sonic adventure forward

Instead of ruining both and trying to mix them, make two seperate things that can appeal to two seperate fan bases. And maybe occasionally you see them together but not often 

This is the best course of action going forward

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

There is difference between a classic Sonic who shows up and takes unnecessary room in a modern game and a brand new Modern design of Fang or Bean who actually can play a role in a modern story.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% against classic Sonic in a Sonic game, but I'm not against a modern version of a classic character.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Razule said:

https://sonicsourceblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/19/flynn-clarifies-the-two-world-issue-in-bumblekast-65/

I feel like the massive questions that are never addressed of do undermine the stories?

I think Ian is fibbing again

Weren't Mighty, Ray and a couple others mentioned in a question to Ian and he said that a fair few on the list were showing up in the first two years or so? At work so can't go looking up the actual quotes sorry.

51 minutes ago, Razule said:

Sounds more like Ian’s dodging the question with a bunch of fluff, as he makes it out to be.

In all fairness, he might not even address it in the comic and is just saying thay stuff because he has to. Otherwise, I find it hard to believe he’d go along with the Two Worlds thing in the first place and would rather keep it simple with just one world.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Yeah, Someone asked if we'll see Rouge, Big, Cream, Vanilla, Mighty, Ray, Silver, Honey and Sticks in upcoming issues.

"Before 2018 ends, we'll see some of those characters" pic.twitter.com/644LkFy0Z4

1 minute ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Sounds more like Ian’s dodging the question with a bunch of fluff, as he makes it out to be.

In all fairness, he might not even address it in the comic and is just saying thay stuff because he has to. Otherwise, I find it hard to believe he’d go along with the Two Worlds thing in the first place and would rather keep it simple with just one world.

I sure hope so. We don't need to address the two-world thing. Keep every story in Sonic's world because that's where all the characters live including Eggman.