Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Guys, remember Archie Preboot? When Mobius was post-apocaliptic Earth, some humans had 4 fingers and were called Overlanders? Yeah, that was kinda stupid.

And what Flynn did? Pretty much didn't talked about it. And everyone was happy.

This is very similar scenario.

I actually didn’t have a problem with that, believe it or not. It was at the very least consistent with the setting, and ironically tried to do the exact opposite of the Two Worlds by making Mobius and Earth the same planet all along to go along with the games. The whole four fingers and what not I find to be minor to the point it was hardly noticed compared to the terms Overlander and Human, and at that point when Flynn came around it was moot the the point that the two might as well be humans with different cultures or whatnot.

I think the whole thing was more soured by Penders for obvious reasons, although the whole Xorda and aliens thing were still out of nowhere.

Note that I’m not exactly saying these were good, but I will certain praise them for not trying to over complicate the setting even back then. (The stories on the other hand...)

• Nice Smile 2

5 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Anyone wanna try to guess which characters will appear on issue 6?

Sonic the Hedgehog

• Nice Smile 1

Well, it's part 2 of the Eggman story, so Eggman is likely going to be the star again.

Maybe guest starring team Dark this time? I can't see team Chaotix guest starring for two issues when Tails, Amy and Knuckles get just one on first go. 

• Nice Smile 1

Also, in that Bumblekast post, Ian also mentions that Fleetway might (a BIG might) show up later. Not holding my breath, but something I'm glad he mentions.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

Issues of Sonic#1 are being sold at Wondercon this weekend apparently. We might see spoilers for it like one and a half weeks early. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

50 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Also, in that Bumblekast post, Ian also mentions that Fleetway might (a BIG might) show up later. Not holding my breath, but something I'm glad he mentions.

Daaamn, IDW be gettin busy with the broad licensing, don't they?

• Nice Smile 1

59 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

In what context? Characters? Reprints? What?

• Nice Smile 1

Late to the discussion but re: "they shouldn't have announced two worlds if it isn't gonna be relevant in-universe anyway," didn't we find out about it completely by accident? As far as I can remember it wasn't acknowledged by official sources until very recent interviews.

Frankly I'm not sure what to believe (I figured "two worlds" was a post-'06 kind of deal), but I guess it could sort of explain Sonic X (and even the OVA, albeit in a very different form) doing it seemingly randomly. But it was easy to wave it off as something thought up by the show's staff to justify Sonic needing to live with Chris, and set up for the eventual goodbyes.

Like I've said before I'm not even bothered by the idea, what does bother me is that regardless of whether it's an old or newish concept, it's very strange to me that it was NEVER alluded to in all those years--in-story or not. Like, the best time to at least off-handily mention "oh yeah it's kind of the same deal in the games" would have been, y'know, when Sonic X was new? Again, I don't know what to believe, but considering how weirdly they've handled this franchise since arguably the beginning......yeah, I can almost believe it.

Imagine the chaos if someone like Oshima or Naka came out with "yeah we thought of Eggman as being from another world" and it wasn't a SoA/E invention after all, lol.

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

This would be kinda ironic after Archie "won" over StC back in the day. Also...yeah, seconding Panda, in what context was he talking about?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

The question didn't say. Just some Fleetway things. Ian DID mention that he really wants to use the Metallix, and he has permission from Nigel Kitching to use them.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

The question didn't say. Just some Fleetway things. Ian DID mention that he really wants to use the Metallix, and he has permission from Nigel Kitching to use them.

Doesn't Sega have that "only one Metal Sonic" mandate they would have to circumnavigate to use something like the Metallix?

If Fleetway characters make it in, that would be one hell of a revival. Although I doubt it would happen.

If they do tho, I could definitely see that as a sign that Fleetway characters aren’t the only things that might make a return in the possible future. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

15 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Doesn't Sega have that "only one Metal Sonic" mandate they would have to circumnavigate to use something like the Metallix?

Easy, just make Metallix a unique character separate from Metal.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Sonic Mania offers a compelling workaround. 

• Fist Bump 1

Metal Sonic using drone warfare.

And here I thought giving Thunderbolt a Phantom Ruby would make for a terrifyingly awesome antagonist.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I would do anything for Metal Sonic having an adorable army of Silver Sonics to be a thing in IDW.

Also yeah it doesn't seem too hard to work around that, if anything I'm not sure why that had to be a mandate in the first place because it made more sense to call Shard a Mecha Sonic anyway since...that's what that character's original form was called (albeit mistakenly...).

I'd love to see Mecha Sonic actually, I always liked that design a lot. I'm sad it was only ever used once in the games and beyond that only had, what, a flashback cameo in post-reboot Archie?

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yep. He does talk about Fleetway in the BumbleKast episode. He also answers a Ken Penders related question right afterwards.

Q: I don’t suppose there might be any Fleetway’s Sonic the Comic hidden in the IDW  Sonic run?

A: Maybe? Not initially, because like I said before, we're trying to define the book as the IDW Sonic. It needs to stand on its own two feet before we start going crazy with references to other incarnations of Sonic over the years. That and the last time there was any kind of Fleetway nod in the Archie book it had some really nastly blowback. So might wanna dodge that minefield, but I’m always tempted because Nigel Kitching said I could use Metallix, and I want to but I know its more complicated than that but I want to so bad.

----------------------

Q: Something has been on my mind lately, do you think the whole debacle with Ken Penders contributed to Archie and SEGA not continuing their relationship? I understand that was years later, but the ripple effect of the reboot must've hurt a lot.

A: No. It had no--it--it didn't help things, but it was not a major contributing factor. The reboot happened, it sucked at the time, but we were rolling full steam ahead and just other stuff happened. And here we are.

• Nice Smile 1

Oh yeah, I remember that Nigel would let Flynn use the Metallix plot, but Sega only wants Metal Sonic to stay singular; just one Metal Sonic.

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Metal Sonic using drone warfare.

And here I thought giving Thunderbolt a Phantom Ruby would make for a terrifyingly awesome antagonist.

Eggman having his robotisisor (or however you spell it) on drones and Buzz Bombers. He'd force most of the population underground, so he could rule everything above. 

Anyone who ventures outside looking for supplies is fair game. 

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

I would do anything for Metal Sonic having an adorable army of Silver Sonics to be a thing in IDW.

Also yeah it doesn't seem too hard to work around that, if anything I'm not sure why that had to be a mandate in the first place because it made more sense to call Shard a Mecha Sonic anyway since...that's what that character's original form was called (albeit mistakenly...).

I'd love to see Mecha Sonic actually, I always liked that design a lot. I'm sad it was only ever used once in the games and beyond that only had, what, a flashback cameo in post-reboot Archie?

You and me both! I was a bit let down they didn't bring him back as a boss or even a backdrop item in Generations in Sky Sanctuary. He was in that Lego Dimensions DLC Sonic Pack thing as a boss tho wasn't he? Where it goes through all the old versions of Metal Sonic.

I would love to see that version back in the games, maybe Mania 2 could be a good excuse. He's the only Metal Sonic type unit to be able to turn into an almost super form using the Master Emerald too, and that was wicked crazy back in the day when you got up to that boss fight. Knocking him down then the feign, backpedal and BAM Super Mecha Sonic. Blew my little kid mind.

• Nice Smile 1

So let me guess... It's Eggman VS Shadow and Sonic might actually be on Eggman's side??? Tbh I don't mind if Shadow makes some "cruel actions", I like his evil personality when balanced.

Just now, Jack the Maniac said:

So let me guess... It's Eggman VS Shadow and Sonic might actually be on Eggman's side??? Tbh I don't mind if Shadow makes some "cruel actions", I like his evil personality when balanced.

Maybe Shadow will end up trying to kill the doctor and Sonic has to intervene. 

Also this:

Additionally, IDW has also listed a special Sonic the Hedgehog #1-4 Box Set that as the name implies, will contain the first four issues as well as another “very special sketch variant of Sonic the Hedgehog #1”. Yes, you read that correctly, yet another variant of issue #1 bringing the total to 9! IDW is definitely going all out with this launch! The set will be available June 13th for an SRP of $24.99.
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Maybe Shadow will end up trying to kill the doctor and Sonic has to intervene. 

That's what I think, kind of cool actually, they will talk about why heroes don't kill and Shadow's lack of morality, probably, would be nice to address these themes.

Edit: The description mentions Rouge And the Chaotix too.