Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

No more then saying IDW's comic can't have its own identity because it uses some of the same characters that have been used in Sonic comics for nearly a quarter of a century

Mate... if you're going to try and convince people that the IDW comic will be bad if it doesn't use Archie characters, I don't think you're going to convince many people.

• Thumbs Up 1

Imma just say I'd like if the FF are there they wouldn't take away from anything and honestly I find the blind hatred sillier than the demands that they be in it or it'll fuckin' suck. but it's not a deal breaker for me if they don't use them.

I just want good Sonic comics.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Mate... if you're going to try and convince people that the IDW comic will be bad if it doesn't use Archie characters, I don't think you're going to convince many people.

Not when individuals such as yourself have already decided it will be bad if they do.  

Just because SEGA can't decide what to do with the franchise and ignore anything thats not Classic Sonic or post Colors Sonic doesn't mean that is the right thing to do.

And again, good series and smart franchise holders respect the legacies their franchise makes.  The FF are part of Sonic's comic legacy.  Ignoring that would be a HUGE oversight on SEGA & IDW's part.

• Thumbs Up 3

It won't be bad with or without them, the problem is without them IDW will have a harder time drawing in the fans of the Archie series, the loyals if you will, which does have an impressive following in its own right. Even if the style is familiar, without the familiar locales OR cast, it will mean they will have to hope to draw in the former fans of the former series along the way somehow since the readers will have lost everyone they knew.

It's still possible to get a new market AND the old market, but it will be much more challenging and it would benefit them to have the loyalty of old readers from the start.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Not when individuals such as yourself have already decided it will be bad if they do.  

Wait what... so you are seriously saying that this comic will be bad if they don't include Archie... HOLY SHIT!

And again, good series and smart franchise holders respect the legacies their franchise makes.  The FF are part of Sonic's comic legacy.  Ignoring that would be a HUGE oversight on SEGA & IDW's part.

Oh my lord you are! 

Wait what... so you are seriously saying that this comic will be bad if they don't include Archie... HOLY SHIT!

Oh my lord you are! 

...It's really starting to feel like you're TRYING to trigger in here. Is that necessary...?

Quit messing with your members dude.

• Thumbs Up 4

Can we all just calm down people? Need I remind you that we're getting worked up over a comic book series?

8 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Oh my lord you are! 

Do you take joy in bullying people online for liking the same things you do but for different reasons?  Cause it kind of seems like you do.   If all you are gonna do is harass people for liking fictional characters you don't I don't see any way to have a legitimate conversation with you.  

I have better things to do tonight then argue with rude people online anyway.  

So whatever.  Enjoy the rest of your evening.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

It won't be bad with or without them, the problem is without them IDW will have a harder time drawing in the fans of the Archie series, the loyals if you will, which does have an impressive following in its own right. Even if the style is familiar, without the familiar locales OR cast, it will mean they will have to hope to draw in the former fans of the former series along the way somehow since the readers will have lost everyone they knew.

It's still possible to get a new market AND the old market, but it will be much more challenging and it would benefit them to have the loyalty of old readers from the start.

An option would be taking away the FF concept but keeping the characters alive, separated, and not within the "always-appearing-cast". It is true that Shadow fans got annoyed when this happened to him in Boom, but there's that: Shadow never had the risk of being erased forever...

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Korke said:

An option would be taking away the FF concept but keeping the characters alive, separated, and not within the "always-appearing-cast". It is true that Shadow fans got annoyed when this happened to him in Boom, but there's that: Shadow never had the risk of being erased forever...

Well, it's not about him appearing as what's essentially a "Guest" in BOOM, the problem was entirely the execution, butchering his character by essentially regressing it and making it feel too "out of place" and "last minute" basically.

Fan service is good but it was just fan service x10 and that's too much, which was reflected in fan reception. They amped up his "I hate everything and everyone" persona and shunned the rest of his character, that was the problem.

(Feel free to correct me though, just how I saw it)

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Quit messing with your members dude.

In all seriousness, I never liked the Freedom Fighters, but it's clear that they've got some pretty passionate fans who care about whether or not they appear in the IDW series. SEGA's in a weird position right now. A fresh start makes sense, but it could mean snubbing Archie readers, and that's an audience they're really going to want. I'll understand if they want to just focus on the game characters (who I honestly prefer) but I'd rather see them make everyone happy here. 

• Thumbs Up 5

15 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Well, it's not about him appearing as what's essentially a "Guest" in BOOM, the problem was entirely the execution, butchering his character by essentially regressing it and making it feel too "out of place" and "last minute" basically.

Fan service is good but it was just fan service x10 and that's too much, which was reflected in fan reception. They amped up his "I hate everything and everyone" persona and shunned the rest of his character, that was the problem.

(Feel free to correct me though, just how I saw it)

That's one of the many things that bother me about Boom is that they made Shadow essentially into a hedgehog Vegeta except with barely much personality outside of friendship is for losers.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Solly said:

In all seriousness, I never liked the Freedom Fighters, but it's clear that they've got some pretty passionate fans who care about whether or not they appear in the IDW series. SEGA's in a weird position right now. A fresh start makes sense, but it could mean snubbing Archie readers, and that's an audience they're really going to want. I'll understand if they want to just focus on the game characters (who I honestly prefer) but I'd rather see them make everyone happy here. 

I always had a thing for them myself, which... I guess should already be more than clear by now... Ha ha.

I could see myself easily looking forward to the new series if I knew there would be some sort of nod to the loyals who were sticking around purely for the Satam/Archie stuff over the years. It began when the Sonic franchise as a whole began really, so it's weird for the company to entirely erase everything from that entire part of the franchise in one random move.

I mean... I guess they did that with Classic for 20 years but... I dunno...

It's such a weird company, really it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Can we not reasonably agree that the mere presence/absence of characters from the Archie comic, Freedom Fighters or other, won't make or break the IDW comic by itself?

Both options have their pluses and minuses, and in the case of inclusion, many ways they can be incorporated, and I'm sure that whoever is working on the book will be weighing all of these considerations carefully before making a decision, probably before even approaching SEGA with a pitch.

Even beyond that, much of it comes down to the talent behind it. We've seen highs and lows with the same characters, not just across different mediums, not just across different comic continuities, but even in the same continuity under different pens.

There is no simple answer here, and we're not really going to know how it works out until we have the first issue in our hands, so it would be nice if everyone could quit going for each other's throats for the next six or so months.

Inserting them into the new series the way they did with Honey in the old would be nice, give them new careers in the background and pop in from time to time, like when the Tornado breaks down Sonic and Tails take it to Rotor's workshop, you could have Sally in charge of some kind of company with Nicole as her assistant, maybe some fashion thing doing a "Princess" line of clothing or something... A model agency? Who knows.

Then you've got Bunnie's Beauty's or something like that, a parlor or something...

Endless Possibilities as they say.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Inserting them into the new series the way they did with Honey in the old would be nice, give them new careers in the background and pop in from time to time, like when the Tornado breaks down Sonic and Tails take it to Rotor's workshop, you could have Sally in charge of some kind of company with Nicole as her assistant, maybe some fashion thing doing a "Princess" line of clothing or something... A model agency? Who knows.

Then you've got Bunnie's Beauty's or something like that, a parlor or something...

Endless Possibilities as they say.

That could work. Plus it could work in Bunnie wanting to be a beautician.

• Thumbs Up 2

54 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Again by that Logic no Batman media post 90's should have used Harley Quinn.

tenor.gif

I almost missed this one, that's actually an excellent comparison.

Just as with or without Harley the Batman series would go on, the Freedom Fighters are in the same predicament, with or without them the comics will continue. The question is, will it be just as good without them, and is that a risk worth taking to eliminate fan-favorite cast in favor of originality?

While it's worth dropping certain aspects of your past to discover new and original things, if you abandon everything altogether that's just as detrimental as not letting anything go, and actually the entirety of the Sonic franchise is suffering from this dilemma right now...

Very interesting, very interesting indeed...

• Thumbs Up 9

I did fall in love with this series without the Archie characters once upon a time. I wouldn't have looked into the comic at all if it weren't for the games. So I can agree that SatAM characters or lack thereof won't make or break the comic.

But I'll freely admit that Sega's current direction with the video games and Sonic Boom do make me nervous about what the comic book will be like without them.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

tenor.gif

I almost missed this one, that's actually an excellent comparison.

Just as with or without Harley the Batman series would go on, the Freedom Fighters are in the same predicament, with or without them the comics will continue. The question is, will it be just as good without them, and is that a risk worth taking to eliminate fan-favorite cast in favor of originality?

While it's worth dropping certain aspects of your past to discover new and original things, if you abandon everything altogether that's just as detrimental as not letting anything go, and actually the entirety of the Sonic franchise is suffering from this dilemma right now...

Very interesting, very interesting indeed...

That is deep.

46 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Oh my lord you are! 

It's great to see that being Mod give's you free range to just be a jerk and disregard people whenever you please. Really...really setting a high bar there.

• Thumbs Up 2

As I said before, there might be a chance that IDW can/will try to expand on what they can use for their Sonic comics. But I think it's gonna take a while for them to be in a position where they can comfortably try that. And at the end of the day, the final decision is still ultimately Sega's to make.

Would I like to see the Freedom Fighters back? Sure, I wouldn't mind. (Not as main characters, though.) I just don't really see it actually happening, myself.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Captain Metallix said:

As I said before, there might be a chance that IDW can/will try to expand on what they can use for their Sonic comics. But I think it's gonna take a while for them to be in a position where they can comfortably try that. And at the end of the day, the final decision is still ultimately Sega's to make.

Would I like to see the Freedom Fighters back? Sure, I wouldn't mind. (Not as main characters, though.) I just don't really see it actually happening, myself.

My side isn't about getting them in as main characters, but rather icons of the past brought along as background stars that pop-in from time to time based on convenient necessity, such as repairs on tech ala Rotor, maybe Sonic getting his quills butchered to hell and back calling for a trip to Bunnie's salon, you could have Sally and Nicole helping Sonic out when he needs something to go undercover maybe, kind of like a supply for gear and outfits...

Make them convenient cast, not the main cast.

(Hell, have Chuck running a chili-dog stand with a new nephew by his side helping out as a nod to Sonic being his former nephew)

You could have a place where Sonic hangs out to eat with a familiar face offering conversation the way Naruto did in his series

(That last is a personal stretch)

• Thumbs Up 5

6 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

It's great to see that being Mod give's you free range to just be a jerk and disregard people whenever you please. Really...really setting a high bar there.

1) He's not a mod and 2) he absolutely does not have free range (neither do we actual mods, even), hence me replying to his post already. Y'all don't need to chime in too.

• Thumbs Up 9