Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Also depends on how much is considered venomous. I intended to give an opinion to those saying the FF is crucial to the IDW comics success, but if that sounded harmful then I need to apologize.

I can't blame the reaction of the FF fans. Tell a Amy fan that Amy doesn't deserve to appear in the main games anymore. The thread would go radioactive in less than 5 minutes...

• Thumbs Up 5

And I'm still suspicious of whether SEGA is going to use the comic for other things, as that book being published by PRH is kinda suspicious right now (they're not alien to pubishing comics in a book form. They've even done such a thing for Archie ironically). If they are, the chances of the FFs being there is once again lowered. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 25/7/2017 at 2:05 PM, Miru the Living Planet said:

They could still be incorporated without making it Archie MK. III. Like how Sally was used in European continuities (like in Fleetway). Entirely different from how the used to work. This reminds me, I think we should now make our headcanons about their status if the FFs and old game characters won't appear in this new continuity. 

You don't ever see Sally fans ever talk about European Sally though do you? If an Archie/Satam character made it to IDW the way some of them made it to Fleetway, do you think fans would actually like that? It wouldn't even be the same character at all.

On 25/7/2017 at 2:45 PM, Korke said:

That's exactly what I'm trying to explain, they are forbidden to be explored, due to the mascot mentality from SoJ. If the mandates were already heavy in the Archie's Post-Reboot, I'm predicting a even worse scenario for the writers now.

The game characters like Shadow and Knuckles and Amy  were some of the most entertaining characters of the reboot. While the Freedom Fighters (and by Freedom Fighters I mean not Nicole and Sally since they're basically outside of that at this point) sat in a corner and did nothing for like 30 issues. If you have a good writer, no amount of mandates will stop you from writting a good, entertaining story with the game characters.

Also SEGA allowed Archie tons of shit with Shadow and Silver's stories. They even allowed them to use the Black Arms and create original Black Arms characters. They allowed us to see Silver's future and meet new characters from that future. 

Why does everyone act like SEGA is super iron fisted? Do you guys ever actually read these comics?

1 hour ago, Korke said:

I can't blame the reaction of the FF fans. Tell a Amy fan that Amy doesn't deserve to appear in the main games anymore. The thread would go radioactive in less than 5 minutes...

That's not really an equal comparison, since Amy is already in the main series.

It's more like if someone had told a Shadow fan that he shouldn't appear in Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, Diogenes said:

That's not really an equal comparison, since Amy is already in the main series.

It's more like if someone had told a Shadow fan that he shouldn't appear in Sonic Boom.

People don't attach themselves to characters because of the media they come from, they do it for the personality, traits, potential...

Except that Shadow not appearing in a spin-off game doesn't result in complete death as a property, because he still lives on the main games.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Had IDW ever done video game franchises?

Yep, Skylanders is under their wing. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

8 minutes ago, Korke said:

People don't attach themselves to characters because of the media they come from, they do it for the personality, traits, potential...

Of course. But my point regarding Amy is that there's a difference between her being removed from an ongoing series and the Freedom Fighters being given roles in a new comic.

8 minutes ago, Korke said:

Except that Shadow not appearing in a spin-off game doesn't result in complete death as a property, because he still lives on the main games.

Assume the main series ended, then. There'd still be no obligation for Shadow to be in Boom, nor any inherent insult in someone saying they think it would be better if he wasn't.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Are the comics in your eyes good?

From what I've seen they're pretty nifty, but I don't know whether that would translate directly to Sonic because of Skylanders' differing multimedia plan. 

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

From what I've seen they're pretty nifty, but I don't know whether that would translate directly to Sonic because of Skylanders' differing multimedia plan. 

Ok. Do you think Sonic and them could crossover?

56 minutes ago, Korke said:

I dunno if that is a good comparison, because you’re comparing one character with a group of characters. Also it’s hard to put a comic company and the official company in the same level.

People have the right to be angry and argue that certain characters are/ aren't important and the comic is or is not the same without it, and the right to read or not read the comic. But there are those already claiming the comic isn't worth reading without certain characters. Of course there's also the people who say the FF sucks and don't deserve coming back, or somewhere along those lines. That is mean too. Both is personal opinion, a speculation because we don't even know what the new comic would look like. We need to read the comic to actually see.

I do feel sorry for those who miss the FF, and if IDW decide to include them again then that's great for them. I just want to emphasize that, as much as Archie’s FF has been a great memory of many, Sonic is capable of succeeding without them as long as SEGA and IDW does it right. I just want to get that part through. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

5 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

I dunno if that is a good comparison, because you’re comparing one character with a group of characters. Also it’s hard to put a comic company and the official company in the same level.

People have the right to be angry and argue that certain characters are/ aren't important and the comic is or is not the same without it, and the right to read or not read the comic. But there are those already claiming the comic isn't worth reading without certain characters. Of course there's also the people who say the FF sucks and don't deserve coming back, or somewhere along those lines. That is mean too. Both is personal opinion, a speculation because we don't even know what the new comic would look like. We need to read the comic to actually see.

I do feel sorry for those who miss the FF, and if IDW decide to include them again then that's great for them. I just want to emphasize that, as much as Archie’s FF has been a great memory of many, Sonic is capable of succeeding without them as long as SEGA and IDW does it right. I just want to get that part through. 

*claps* You've hit the mark, sir.

4 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

And yet, those venomous post still attract a degree of support and a few others have tried to add to it to a minor degree. So I wouldn't brush that off lightly.

Saying it's not as bad as people are making it out to be isn't the same as brushing it off completely.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Saying it's not as bad as people are making it out to be isn't the same as brushing it off completely.

That's not what I'm talking about tho.

I'm talking about people being outright spiteful and venomous against those upset with the whole thing when they say it. Like really, there's a obvious line between the nice way to say something and being an asshole in response, and it's obvious when someone crosses that line.

It's one thing when a fan gets hysteric about losing something they like so suddenly, but is that really an excuse to go full five year old and taunt them with "Just for that, I hope they never bring back the thing you like"? Really, if you notice, the people actually being nice about it very rarely get retaliated on.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

That's not what I'm talking about tho.

I'm talking about people being outright spiteful and venomous against those upset with the whole thing when they say it. Like really, there's a obvious line between the nice way to say something and being an asshole in response, and it's obvious when someone crosses that line.

I'm not sure how what I said isn't an appropriate response to that. It doesn't seem like you're saying anything different here.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm not sure how what I said isn't an appropriate response to that. It doesn't seem like you're saying anything different here.

Oh, I took what you were saying differently then. 

My fault. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Oh, I took what you were saying differently then. 

My fault. :lol:

Alright. So long as we're cool.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

And I'm still suspicious of whether SEGA is going to use the comic for other things, as that book being published by PRH is kinda suspicious right now (they're not alien to pubishing comics in a book form. They've even done such a thing for Archie ironically). If they are, the chances of the FFs being there is once again lowered. 

The 2018 PRH stuff seems to be coming out pretty early in the year, doubt IDW would have put out enough books for that by then.  Probably its own thing completly seperate from the comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Theoretically, that'd be really easy due to the fact Skylanders is pretty crossover-friendly. Heck, out of the platformers I'd consider my main 4, only Sonic hasn't been involved with Skylanders. 

On the other hand, Sonic wasn't involved with Skylanders, it put its chips with Amiibo and Lego Dimensions. That might be a bit of a bar to it even without considering whether SEGA would allow it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Maybe. Part of it depends on Activision, who did let them use Donkey Kong and Bowser for SuperChargers, even though it was only as a pre-order bonus.

What lessens it considerably is that IDW hasn't published any in a while -- Imaginators had nothing. Throw in the Netflix cartoon not doing so well and the lack of a new game announcement this year, and the likelihood looks significantly less now than if this had come up a year or two ago.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would love to see the FF in the upcoming IDW Sonic comics (even as occasional guest characters), but to claim that the new series couldn't survive without Sally & co is completely exaggerated. It only makes you an easy target for people who don't like the Freedom Fighters.

• Thumbs Up 4

I said it once and I will say what I said over at gameinformer. If they wanted to keep the FF they would have stuck with Archie. The assumption that this means the stories and characters from the archie books are simply moving homes is just not likely to hold water. If anything sega wants to start fresh and keep the comics tied to the game lore more. Lord how many times do i have to go to the Fb page and someone is asking if sally is going to appear in a future game and literally thinks the ff are part of the game cannon.

Also trying to compare amy not being in the games is silly compared to the ff and saying its the personality that attracts you to them is just nonsense to some. I liked amy in part thanks to the sonic ending. I had no idea who she was ( i mean the sonic cd ending) but yet liked her from that point on. Hell without the books id still like her and her inclusion in the adventure games onward.

• Thumbs Up 1

Last thing i'll say is that if SEGA does make IDW put out a neutered book it won't last nearly as long as the Archie series did.  Sure like with any new comic the first 4-8 issues could do pretty well, but after that around issue 12 or so you would probably see at least an 80% drop in readers compared to whatever the first issue ended up selling.

And if the book sales poorly IDW would probably can any ongoings and just do what they are doing with Skylanders now which is basically just quarterly one-shots and the occassional 3 or 4-issue mini-series until the liscense expires.

Its like how the BBC would'nt allow IDW to use The Daleks or Cybermen during the latter years of their Doctor who comics. (It was probably a heck of a chore to convince the BBC to even let them use the Cybermen in the Star Trek:TNG crossover.)  I can see why IDW eventually got fed up and just gave up on the liscense and let The BBC hand it over to Titan instead.  Not to mention it probably it wasn't a cheap liscense in the first place.

Anywho back on topic.  If the more doom & gloom predictions do come to pass odds are the book won't last more then a couple years tops before they just put it in the same boat as other licenses they consider failures.

• Thumbs Up 1